ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "First Man".....

pitt-girl

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 16, 2004
In honor of the 50th Anniversary of the Moon landing, I decided to watch "First Man" on HBO tonight. (This is the second time I've seen it.)

There was a lot of brouhaha surrounding it when the filmmakers decided not to show the American flag being planted on the surface. But I find this film very patriotic in spite of that and also helped keep focus on the real intent which was about telling the story of Neal Armstrong. It also did not shy away from showing the incredible human courage and sacrifice that went into the race to the moon.

I actually liked it even better this second time. In contrast to the spectacle surrounding it, this is actually a very quiet and private film. Well done.

In honor of the 50th Anniversary of the Moon landing, I decided to watch "First Man" on HBO tonight. (This is the second time I've seen it.)

There was a lot of brouhaha surrounding it when the filmmakers decided not to show the American flag being planted on the surface. But I find this film very patriotic in spite of that and also helped keep focus on the real intent which was about telling the story of Neal Armstrong. It also did not shy away from showing the incredible human courage and sacrifice that went into the race to the moon.

I actually liked it even better this second time. In contrast to the spectacle surrounding it, this is actually a very quiet and private film. Well done.
Actually, I didn't like it as much. I thought it was very brooding, though it likely captured the realism of the angst between Armstrong and his wife and the dangers and uncertainty.

But I really like what CNN has done (watching it right now) with their footage, and of course, HBO's from the Earth to the Moon is outstanding in documenting the entire space program as existed in the 60's.

As someone who is supplying a rather large company out west in their quest for the next step in space exploration, I also get geeked up at the intricacies and engineering behind the scenes of such endeavours.

Actually, I didn't like it as much. I thought it was very brooding, though it likely captured the realism of the angst between Armstrong and his wife and the dangers and uncertainty.

But I really like what CNN has done (watching it right now) with their footage, and of course, HBO's from the Earth to the Moon is outstanding in documenting the entire space program as existed in the 60's.

As someone who is supplying a rather large company out west in their quest for the next step in space exploration, I also get geeked up at the intricacies and engineering behind the scenes of such endeavours.
Yeah, Mr. Pitt-girl wasn't a huge fan either, but I think if you're looking for more of a focus on the technology, this isn't it.

I'm a geek lover too. That's why I liked it so much - it was a mixture of both the science and the interpersonal. Hard to pull off.

Digressing, but it's hard not to wonder exactly what is going on with current space exploration. Clearly it has shifted to the private sector. Care to elaborate?

Yeah, Mr. Pitt-girl wasn't a huge fan either, but I think if you're looking for more of a focus on the technology, this isn't it.

I'm a geek lover too. That's why I liked it so much - it was a mixture of both the science and the interpersonal. Hard to pull off.

Digressing, but it's hard not to wonder exactly what is going on with current space exploration. Clearly it has shifted to the private sector. Care to elaborate?
Sure. Space X. Coolest place I have ever gotten to visit. But I think they are going to need some coordinated effort between Govt and Private to get the next step (Mars) completed.

Alot of people think the space program was gratuitous and a waste, and I can see that, but there are many common things used today that were developed because of the space program. Even something as common as velcro was developed in the space program.

I was bored with it and slightly disappointed. I did really enjoy the actual footage that was on CNN. That was great.

Sure. Space X. Coolest place I have ever gotten to visit. But I think they are going to need some coordinated effort between Govt and Private to get the next step (Mars) completed.

Alot of people think the space program was gratuitous and a waste, and I can see that, but there are many common things used today that were developed because of the space program. Even something as common as velcro was developed in the space program.
And Tang of course.

Thought this was an Emmy worthy documentary. Relying on only archived footage just brought viewers closer to how events actually unfolded and the tension during the Apollo 11 mission. (The astronauts being suited up looked like players getting ready for a big game.)

Amazing with just very limited computer technology that NASA could pull that off. People were still using rotary phones back in the day, as shown in some of the footage.

Last edited:
Reactions: pitt-girl
Though this was an Emmy worthy documentary. Relying on only archived footage just brought viewers closer to how events actually unfolded and the tension during the Apollo 11 mission. (The astronauts being suited up looked like players getting ready for a big game.)

Amazing with just very limited computer technology that NASA could pull that off. People were still using rotary phones back in the day, as shown in some of the footage.

What just blows my mind is the math and physics involved. How do you truly do something in space with no gravity that really is incapable of being replicated anywhere on earth. I am not a science or math guy or an engineer so maybe I am making this out to be a bigger deal but it blows my mind. I also gotta believe no luck played a role as well. These were brilliant men and women.

As an aside the one thing from the hollywood movie was the part of Neil Armstrong taking a moment for himself and child. I had never heard that part of the story so I had to look into it. That part of the story was great

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT