ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Greatest Guitar Riff of All-Time?

First chord in Hard Days Night by George Harrison.
Smoke on the Water Deep Purple Roger Glover
Tommy Who Pete Townshend.
My Sharona Knack
Communication Breakdown Jimmy Page.....among the other more famous from Zep....

Egads................... I can't argue with most of those mentioned above. I mean mostly after many of the ones mentioned (Owner of a Lonely Heart, really??) we would just be discussing our own personal faves which is cool too.

Egads................... I can't argue with most of those mentioned above. I mean mostly after many of the ones mentioned (Owner of a Lonely Heart, really??) we would just be discussing our own personal faves which is cool too.

It's a great riff that, when you hear it, you instantly recognize the song within just a few notes. And everyone's interpretation of greatest is going to be different.

It's a great riff that, when you hear it, you instantly recognize the song within just a few notes. And everyone's interpretation of greatest is going to be different.
Sure, so is "I Will Follow" by the Edge of U2. The moment it starts you know the song. Pretty catchy riff written by a then 18 year old kid.

Reactions: pittmeister
Sure, so is "I Will Follow" by the Edge of U2. The moment it starts you know the song. Pretty catchy riff written by a then 18 year old kid.

Hmm I'd argue those two are at different levels based on popularity (I probably wouldn't know the U2 song). Then again, it's subjective. But please disregard my selection if it isn't deemed worthy of this list.

Hmm I'd argue those two are at different levels based on popularity (I probably wouldn't know the U2 song). Then again, it's subjective. But please disregard my selection if it isn't deemed worthy of this list.
I will Follow is actually older than Lonely Heart. I would argue more popular also. I am not sure what you are getting at except that you have never turned your dial off of Classic Rock.

Memorable riffs or greatest riffs can kind of be two different things. I would say the intro to barracuda from heart is notable as extremely recognizable and memorable. It’s right up there with so many memorable riffs where you just know from note #1. But zeppelin truly owns some of the greatest riffs.

I will Follow is actually older than Lonely Heart. I would argue more popular also. I am not sure what you are getting at except that you have never turned your dial off of Classic Rock.

It's older, yes. Not more popular based on charts, not by a long shot.

I listen to more than classic rock for sure. I just feel like that riff is in my list of greatest riffs. Everyone's greatest will be different.

Reactions: ONGB
Memorable riffs or greatest riffs can kind of be two different things. I would say the intro to barracuda from heart is notable as extremely recognizable and memorable. It’s right up there with so many memorable riffs where you just know from note #1. But zeppelin truly owns some of the greatest riffs.

To me the greatest are the most memorable. Kind of like the four notes from Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Technical? Not at all. But you can't deny it's an iconic riff that they built the song around.

Life in the Fast Lane - The Eagles

It’s not the best riff, but it’s a good one…Most of the good ones were already taken…

To me the greatest are the most memorable. Kind of like the four notes from Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Technical? Not at all. But you can't deny it's an iconic riff that they built the song around.
I agree. Hell, aqualung by Jethro Tull is very memorable. One of my favorite bands that most people really don’t like. But one of those songs that as soon as the first note goes you just now.
I can name that tune in one note.

I agree. Hell, aqualung by Jethro Tull is very memorable. One of my favorite bands that most people really don’t like. But one of those songs that as soon as the first note goes you just now.
I can name that tune in one note.
But I can name MANY songs in one or two notes, that doesn't make it particularly great or even memorable. I mean, it could be because of sheer repetition of a song being a popular song.

Favorite is what you like best.

Greatest is what most people think is best.

But I can name MANY songs in one or two notes, that doesn't make it particularly great or even memorable. I mean, it could be because of sheer repetition of a song being a popular song.
I made that distinction earlier. Memorable versus greatest is different. Knowing greatest riff requires a bit more knowledge of playing. Memorable just means the riff just hits you from note one to remember it or appreciate it because it just stands out. Good composition or not.
think of Tom Petty and some of his riffs. Not greatest ever but so memorable you just know what is coming.

Reactions: GulfCoastLion
The dual Duane and Dickey lick in Revival by ABB is one of my favorites. Randy Rhoads and SRV had countless licks and riffs.

Reactions: Pittduck
* ‘Sweet Home Alabama’, Lynyrd Skynyrd
* ‘All Right Now’, Free
* ‘Day Tripper’, Beatles

Showing my age somewhat, but had to list a few of my favs from back in the day. Countless others, but terrific thread !

Reactions: CarolinaPittFan
* ‘Sweet Home Alabama’, Lynyrd Skynyrd
* ‘All Right Now’, Free
* ‘Day Tripper’, Beatles

Showing my age somewhat, but had to list a few of my favs from back in the day. Countless others, but terrific thread !
Yeah Sweet Home Alabama is one of those....

Maybe not the best but Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Scuttle buttin ranks up there . IMO .

Greatest = Rolling Stones "Satisfaction ". I'd argue it's the greatest rock n roll song ever written.

My favorites (a few of them anyways): Van Halen "Unchained" & "Little Guitars"
Ratt "You're In Love"
Deep Purple "Burn"
Head East "Never Been Any Reason"
D.L.R. "Yankee Rose"
Beatles "Paperback Writer "
Def Leppard "Let It Go"
Rush "Limelight "

Last edited:
Greatest = Rolling Stones "Satisfaction ". I'd argue it's the greatest rock n roll song ever written.

Ratt "You're In Love"
Deep Purple "Burn"
D.L.R. "Yankee Rose"
Def Leppard "Let It Go"
Rush "Limelight "
LOL.

I was turning channels today driving in the car and "Satisfaction" came on and I thought to myself, "yep, that's it, that's the riff!" But I have posted before, I think the best Rock n Roll song of all time, same group, but I think it is Sympathy For the Devil. Just that whole song, the base line through it, the lyrics, the drums, and the guitar solo.....it's literally symphonic.

LOL.

I was turning channels today driving in the car and "Satisfaction" came on and I thought to myself, "yep, that's it, that's the riff!" But I have posted before, I think the best Rock n Roll song of all time, same group, but I think it is Sympathy For the Devil. Just that whole song, the base line through it, the lyrics, the drums, and the guitar solo.....it's literally symphonic.
"Please allow me to introduce myself
I'm a man of wealth and taste
I've been around for a long, long years
Stole many a man's soul and faith"

LOL.

Beginning of Midnights Rambler is rather iconic as well.

Ratt "You're In Love"
Deep Purple "Burn"
D.L.R. "Yankee Rose"
Def Leppard "Let It Go"
Rush "Limelight "
Hard to argue with that one. Recognizable from the first dynamic note. Smoke on the water comes in number two for me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT