ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Heading to Prague, Munich, and Vienna

Was in Prague for a short trip but not the other 2. You will want to visit The Charles Bridge, Prague Castle, St Vitas Cathedral and Old Town. Lots more to see but these are the top attractions I can remember off the top of my head.

Reactions: vikings1980
Wachau Valley along the Danube outside of Vienna. Beautiful area and a world heritage location. Stoping at shops and family wineries. If you only do one thing, make sure it's this. They have various tours available.

Just simply walking around Vienna in the various markets is neat. People want to visit the royality places and see the crown jewels, but that gets a big 'meh' from me.

You can climb to the top of the church in Vienna. The one with the nice roof. It has a nice view.

Try the pork knucle at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. It comes with a potato ball thing and get it with a large beer. With the traditional german music, what else more could you want?

Last edited:
Reactions: vikings1980
Wachau Valley along the Danube outside of Vienna. Beautiful area and a world heritage location. Stoping at shops and family wineries. If you only do one thing, make sure it's this. They have various tours available.

Just simply walking around Vienna in the various markets is neat. People want to visit the royality places and see the crown jewels, but that gets a big 'meh' from me.

You can climb to the top of the church in Vienna. The one with the nice roof. It has a nice view.

Try the pork knucle at the Hofbrauhaus in Munich. It comes with a potato ball thing and get it with a large beer. With the traditional german music, what else more could you want?
Pork knuckle can be awesome. Had the best ever in Brno, but the worst in Riga. Now I want to go back to Brno. :)

Make sure you don't miss this. It is a delicacy.

8135bwemMYL._SL1400_.jpg

On my list of places to see. Just got back from 2 weeks in France. What I have noticed is that most people are friendly and a lot speak English. Try the local foods, see the sights and enjoy yourself.

Reactions: Jpripper88
IMO you need three days in Vienna. The world famous opera house, museums,
and just walking around town will be amazing. If you can, be sure to get into the riding school that houses the world famous Lippanzer horses. The building is like a palace inside. It was closed while I was there, but the person working the front entrance met me and my wife on her lunch hour and gave us a private tour. Priceless! I would also recommend going to a "beer garden" for dinner used by the locals, NOT the tourists.They will know you're American lol...but it's worth it. As someone mentioned, the Wachau Valley outside of the city is worth visiting.

Prague, IMO can be done in two days. The Chain Bridge, the sights downtown, the
Cathedral and the everything in the Old Town is worth seeing. Try to walk away
from the very busy touristy area in the center of town and work your way away
from the center. The markets, restaurants etc will get cheaper, MUCH cheaper.
We ate in the Two Cats Cafe for lunch...well away from the center, and inhabited
by only locals. We were obviously the only tourists in the place. It's local food,
local atmosphere, but worth the experience. The accordian player (an old guy)
seemingly played for just us. I tipped him on the way out, and he followed us out
the door thanking me profusely. You'll know you were in the REAL Prague (not the
tourist restaurants) if you go there.

On my list of places to see. Just got back from 2 weeks in France. What I have noticed is that most people are friendly and a lot speak English. Try the local foods, see the sights and enjoy yourself.
Same. Unfortunately Asians (mostly Chinese) have ruined a lot of Paris. It is amazing how rude and inconsiderate they are without even making a modicum of effort to learn the language and customs.

Reactions: kma0043 and pbrad
Same. Unfortunately Asians (mostly Chinese) have ruined a lot of Paris. It is amazing how rude and inconsiderate they are without even making a modicum of effort to learn the language and customs.
I think there are a lot of groups who can claim credit for this.

We were at Versaille and our guide told the Asians to get in line, she called it "cultural differences". Provence was much more laid back and beautiful in its own way.

I figured this thread would take a predictable nosedive. Give it another day and things will be bad.

It's been about 30 years, but I remember a very pleasant drive along the Danube stopping at the Melk Abbey and Krems.

Never been to Prague, but loved Vienna and Munich. The beer gardens were great in Munich. I wouldn't miss the Hofbrauhaus, even though it seemed very touristy. Seemed like 75% of the people there were Japanese. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just not a real authentic German vibe.

If you have time to visit Budapest while you were over there I would recommend doing so. It's spectacular at night especially if you are on the river and it's great place to walk during the day. The people are very welcoming. Prague is great as well. Vienna is nice too but the people make you feel unwelcomed, imo.

Some stuff the guide books will not point out.

PARIS: La Coupole Resturant is great after a walk through Luxenborgh Garden. Very good sea food plate. Many of the great artists during the early 20 th century painted a side of its many columns for a free meal. A real museum in its own right, the Standard across the street is a great outdoor bar to watch The world go bye. One of Hemingway’s favorite bars in Monparnase. https://maps.apple.com/?q=La Coupole&ll=48.8422976,2.3280468&auid=1755542476869705989&lsp=9902

Prague. One the the worlds busiest vacation spots with great architecture, walk the city, cross the Bridge to the Preisential palace, to the left after the bridge is the John Lennon peace wall, a graffiti tribute to John Lennon changes constantly changes sometimes are good sometimes bad, but interesting given what is going on in the world. Great beer.

Munich: Dachau is something you will never forget, nor will you ever forget the barmaids at the Hoffbrauhas in Platzi stuffing 20 beer glasses in their bossoms. Hitler held his first meeting in the Festival Room here. Head out to “Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden as well as the beautiful Neuschwanstein Castle one hour and a half from Munich. Study fascism and its impact on the world while you are there to understand why the world went to war and the threat never ends.

If you get a chance head to Krakow Poland, great city with lots to see and do, most importantly very cheap.

If you get a chance head to Krakow Poland, great city with lots to see and do, most importantly very cheap.

The salt mine is pretty cool. I forgot the name of the nice square. And yes good prices.

Some stuff the guide books will not point out.

PARIS: La Coupole Resturant is great after a walk through Luxenborgh Garden. Very good sea food plate. Many of the great artists during the early 20 th century painted a side of its many columns for a free meal. A real museum in its own right, the Standard across the street is a great outdoor bar to watch The world go bye. One of Hemingway’s favorite bars in Monparnase. https://maps.apple.com/?q=La Coupole&ll=48.8422976,2.3280468&auid=1755542476869705989&lsp=9902

Prague. One the the worlds busiest vacation spots with great architecture, walk the city, cross the Bridge to the Preisential palace, to the left after the bridge is the John Lennon peace wall, a graffiti tribute to John Lennon changes constantly changes sometimes are good sometimes bad, but interesting given what is going on in the world. Great beer.

Munich: Dachau is something you will never forget, nor will you ever forget the barmaids at the Hoffbrauhas in Platzi stuffing 20 beer glasses in their bossoms. Hitler held his first meeting in the Festival Room here. Head out to “Eagle's Nest in Berchtesgaden as well as the beautiful Neuschwanstein Castle one hour and a half from Munich. Study fascism and its impact on the world while you are there to understand why the world went to war and the threat never ends.

The main square in Krakow is very impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT