ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How do you fix the Penguins?

I don’t know- they must have seen something
What I mean is - if they signed him to a 2 year deal instead of a 6 year deal -
The concern wouldn’t be there as much because the downside was minimized
It was a bad contract due to the length - not the base annual salary
I never got the signing even for one year. But yeah, I am not sure who was holding a gun to Rutherford's head and signed him to 6 years.

I am glad he is gone, but not in a vindictive manner. He could have just "not played". But for some reason as much as he struggled Sullivan put him out there and it was really problematic. But they just kept on doing it.

It was a necessary move, it does improve the team but let's face it, having or not having Jack Johnson is not the difference of getting swept out of the 1st rd by the Isle or Canadians and being an instant cup contender.

I'm not sure he ever gave them more than Chad Ruwhedel could have. The cost was an opportunity cost where the money could've been allocated to a player that could've helped (rather than hurt) the cause. I don't want to think this way, but I won't be shocked if they don't qualify for the playoffs next year.

I'm not sure he ever gave them more than Chad Ruwhedel could have. The cost was an opportunity cost where the money could've been allocated to a player that could've helped (rather than hurt) the cause. I don't want to think this way, but I won't be shocked if they don't qualify for the playoffs next year.
It was a horrible signing from the moment the ink hit the paper.

Basically, I agree. I was replying to Souf but didn't include his message. I fear Rutherford has completely butchered things. I was hoping he and Sully would get fired, or, since Sully was just extended, maybe just Rutherford. I just don't have faith that Rutherford is the guy to make the moves necessary to get the Pens back, if those moves are even there to be made. It might simply "be over." These guys have proven me wrong before, so I hope they do again.

Ya, heard this today, too. Blackhawks talked with Matt Murray's people but it would seem he wants more than they were willing to offer for an extension. It was mentioned Murray may have to take a one-year bet-on-yourself deal to try to increase his stock. Bottom line, Pens may not get much for Murray. Just another thing gone wrong in this re-tooling effort.

Well, if Murray rejects everything and tries to play out a year to increase his stock, won't happen, he's not going to be the #1 goalie if he stays with Pens

I am no expert on how this stuff works, but reading Letsgopens it seems he can accept the Pens qualifying offer or possibly go to arbitration. If he goes to arbitration, the Pens don't have to accept it but he'd become an unrestricted free agent if they don't. If he plays this year without an extension (QO or arbitration) he becomes a FA next year and if the offer isn't there then, he can go for a one-year deal to try to boost his worth. Of course, other teams know the options too, and with the Pens having extended Jarry, it seems that keeping them both is viewed as very undesirable, so other clubs aren't going to offer as much unless several start bidding for him. It'll be interesting to watch this play out.

I am no expert on how this stuff works, but reading Letsgopens it seems he can accept the Pens qualifying offer or possibly go to arbitration. If he goes to arbitration, the Pens don't have to accept it but he'd become an unrestricted free agent if they don't. If he plays this year without an extension (QO or arbitration) he becomes a FA next year and if the offer isn't there then, he can go for a one-year deal to try to boost his worth. Of course, other teams know the options too, and with the Pens having extended Jarry, it seems that keeping them both is viewed as very undesirable, so other clubs aren't going to offer as much unless several start bidding for him. It'll be interesting to watch this play out.
This is really interesting indeed. On one hand, you might say the Pens have very little leverage because of the limited teams in play for a sign and trade and the fact that there is a saturated goalie market. On the other, you could also make an argument that the Pens do have solid leverage because despite the saturated market, Murray is (a) by far the youngest and (b) no offense to Corey Crawford, but Murray is also the only true No. 1 caliber goalie with multiple Cup wins under his belt

Rutherford has navigated muddy waters well before, but his fastball also doesn’t seem to be what it once was.

What I have heard.......Murray and is agent just aren't getting it. They aren't reading his situation correctly. Which is the following:

1) There is a glut of goalies available right now. A real glut. Many of whom can be acquired with just a contract.
2) Murray is not understanding the last couple of years as harmed his reputation, especially as a big game goalie. His value is not what he thinks it is.
3) They are definitely not reading the effects of the pandemic and the fact the NHL is a gate driven league and the uncertaintly going ahead and flat cap is not going to lead to big contracts as the typical year on year inflation does.
4) Murray and camp is seeking a 7 year $7 million contract.
5) The contract he turned down with Chicago was 5 year at $5 million per (which is pretty damn good if you ask me).

So now it is a game of chicken and who will blink first.

4) Murray and camp is seeking a 7 year $7 million contract.
5) The contract he turned down with Chicago was 5 year at $5 million per (which is pretty damn good if you ask me).

That first number doesn't surprise me (that that's what they asked for), but if he and his agent really turned down 5 years at $5 million per season then both he and his agent are idiots.

Reactions: gary2
That first number doesn't surprise me (that that's what they asked for), but if he and his agent really turned down 5 years at $5 million per season then both he and his agent are idiots.
I know. I mean, reading this situation, what did Lehner just sign for? 5 years at $5 Million. He's only 3 years older than Murray.

Like LeVeon Bell, a player is free to set his value for the market, but it doesn't mean the market has to meet that demand. Given the current environment, if he was indeed offered $5 million for 5 years and passed then he may regret that move.

Murray traded to Ottawa for a 2d round pick in tonight's draft. I heard Ottawa had 4 2d round picks. Kind of hoped they could get two 2ds.

Was hoping he would land in the West. Ottawa usually is a laughing stock, but they have had a good few days here. Apparently, no deal was reached between OTT and Murray so it’s possible they end up in arbitration. Hopefully this doesn’t come back to bite the Pens too bad, but Murray will always have a spot in the hearts of Pens fans.

Murray traded to Ottawa for a 2d round pick in tonight's draft. I heard Ottawa had 4 2d round picks. Kind of hoped they could get two 2ds.
That's okay. Even better. We got a 2nd but also this guy too!!

EjvKJUBWoAAypQb

Reactions: Burgh15
If he is showing unwillingness to sign a long-term extension, that would explain the return as Ottawa may only have him for one year.

If he is showing unwillingness to sign a long-term extension, that would explain the return as Ottawa may only have him for one year.
4 x $25m for Murray in Ottawa so more than $6m per year. Good for him.

Also, Justin Schultz signs with Washington (Ugh) for 2 years at $4m per

Pens mostly quiet as expected except for re-signing Evan Rodrigues for 1 year, 750k and bringing in fellow Bottom 6 forward Mark Jankowski from Calgary for the same.

Do the Penguins have a lack of imagination or lack of scouting department ?
You get rid of a guy once , why bring him back.
What is this , about the 10th player recently ?
Penguins arrow is facing down.
Guess it had to sometime.

JR said he envisions a 3rd line of McCann, Jankowski and Rodrigues.
That sure doesn’t sound pretty.

JR said he envisions a 3rd line of McCann, Jankowski and Rodrigues.
That sure doesn’t sound pretty.
What about Bluegger - Tanev - Sceviour - Reese - Lafferty?

All should play ahead of Rodrigues

3rd line - McCann, Bluegger, Tanev

4th line - Lafferty, Jankowski, Sceviour

Reese still hurt? Rodrigues sits every game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT