ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Koki Cockburn to the portal

Ronnyp91

Freshman
Mar 13, 2014
And no I’m not suggesting we have a chance. Just seems crazy to me.

Taking the Pitt element out of it…that is a huge kick in the balls for Illinois. He was very successful there individually and their team was very successful as well. But even still…he is looking to transfer.

Reactions: singregardless
And no I’m not suggesting we have a chance. Just seems crazy to me.

Here's what is crazy.

There are over 1700+ basketball transfers and counting.

There are very good players still transferring late. Its not just Cockburn. Alabama's leading scorer is now in the transfer portal today. The transfers from D1 teams, from every program, top to bottom, are getting hit. Every single day, new players leaving.

Most teams in the ACC have lost 5 or 6+ players now because of the NBA, transfer, or senior graduation and not returning. Some teams have lost more. For example, Virginia has lost 7 players already. Wake Forest, 9 players.

I think there is opportunity for Pitt to make a move up this coming year for a number of reasons, including all this roster turnover.

And, if he goes to Kentucky, how does Oscar Tshiebwe feel about that? Or, does Cockburn go somewhere else because Oscar is already there?

Looks like he is going to St.Johns. Just our luck. Not only does Champaignes brother return but now the big center with Big Ten experience is expected to go their. And we will face them in December

Justin should have went there, too. That would be a hell of a team with both Champagnies, Kofi Cockburn, and Posh Alexander. And they could, very arguably, all be wearing Pitt uniforms this year if we had played our cards differently.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Looks like he is going to St.Johns. Just our luck. Not only does Champaignes brother return but now the big center with Big Ten experience is expected to go their. And we will face them in December
Where did that rumor come from? He is down to UK, FSU, or Illinois.

Justin should have went there, too. That would be a hell of a team with both Champagnies, Kofi Cockburn, and Posh Alexander. And they could, very arguably, all be wearing Pitt uniforms this year if we had played our cards differently.
The champ brothers should have teamed up and offered their services to a top 20 team as a chance to play together. That would have been cool.

This is a new first.

He is literally listing the team he is on his Final 3.

Deciding between Illinois, FSU, and Kentucky on Friday.

Maybe everyone should do this.

This is a new first.

He is literally listing the team he is on his Final 3.

Deciding between Illinois, FSU, and Kentucky on Friday.

Maybe everyone should do this.
id love to see numbers on how many players entered the portal (in both football and hoops) who ended up back on their team.

id love to see numbers on how many players entered the portal (in both football and hoops) who ended up back on their team.
If you are looking, you are leaving - it's just a matter of when.

IMO, the Illinois coaching staff is making a mistake if they take him back; get a backbone guys. Narduzzi has the right message to his players- if you enter the portal you no longer have a scholarship here.

IMO, the Illinois coaching staff is making a mistake if they take him back; get a backbone guys. Narduzzi has the right message to his players- if you enter the portal you no longer have a scholarship here.
I think soon everyone will realize all these kids are just 1 year free agents now. You have to expect that all your players will enter the portal and that some will come back

Apples and oranges. Dooz has had a bunch of pikers enter the portal. Nobody who would make a difference. Who cares if they leave. Cockburn is the difference between Illinois being a FF contender or a bubble-ish team. He's a monster.

Coaches coach for their jobs. If the best player in the portal wants to come back, you welcome him with open arms. I'm reasonably sure that if Capel was facing this same situation, everyone one on this board including you would be begging him to welcome the elite player back.

Right. I mean, if you're his teammate, do you really want him back if he isn't 100% committed all along?
These guys want to win and make a FF. Of course they want him back. The only Illinois player(s) that wouldn't want him back are those that would stand to get his minutes if he left.

Apples and oranges. Dooz has had a bunch of pikers enter the portal. Nobody who would make a difference. Who cares if they leave. Cockburn is the difference between Illinois being a FF contender or a bubble-ish team. He's a monster.

Coaches coach for their jobs. If the best player in the portal wants to come back, you welcome him with open arms. I'm reasonably sure that if Capel was facing this same situation, everyone one on this board including you would be begging him to welcome the elite player back.
Illinois isn’t making a FF this year with KC.

I think you missed the point.

I think you missed the point.
I don’t think so. You’re suggesting that it’s better for a coach to stand on principle when his most important player gets a wandering eye than to win. I’m suggesting if you were a P6 head basketball coach whose job depends on winning basketball games you probably wouldn’t see it that way.

I don’t think so. You’re suggesting that it’s better for a coach to stand on principle when his most important player gets a wandering eye than to win. I’m suggesting if you were a P6 head basketball coach whose job depends on winning basketball games you probably wouldn’t see it that way.
Yep. Today's kids are different. If an All-American type kid enters the portal to play the field, you 100% take him back if he wants to come back. This is going to get to the point of kids "testing the NBA waters." These kids are all 1 year free agents now so coaches will have to plan for everyone going into the portal. He can't just kick everyone off because they're exploring greener grasses.

Yep. Today's kids are different. If an All-American type kid enters the portal to play the field, you 100% take him back if he wants to come back. This is going to get to the point of kids "testing the NBA waters." These kids are all 1 year free agents now so coaches will have to plan for everyone going into the portal. He can't just kick everyone off because they're exploring greener grasses.
Not sure it’s as much that the kids are different as it is the rules that are different. There used to be a lot of disincentive to transfer. Now the rules and portal actually encourage it.

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

Not sure it’s as much that the kids are different as it is the rules that are different. There used to be a lot of disincentive to transfer. Now the rules and portal actually encourage it.

Don’t hate the player, hate the game.
Your honor, I would like present exhibit #1. SMF agrees with you.

I rest my case.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Your honor, I would like present exhibit #1. SMF agrees with you.

I rest my case.
Your honor, a brief rebuttal: Upon closer examination of the testimony and evidence, SMF went off on his own tangent about “kids these days”, and was then rebuked by my reply.

No agreement was reached. Motion to dismiss granted.

Your honor, a brief rebuttal: Upon closer examination of the testimony and evidence, SMF went off on his own tangent about “kids these days”, and was then rebuked by my reply.

No agreement was reached. Motion to dismiss granted.
Another Dub for 🐐

Said they should take him back and they did!

You guys have to realize that this is a whole new era. These are 1 year free agents. For example, Jeff Capel has to proactively plan that 7-8 players will enter the portal next season. Does he tell them all they can't come back? Eff no. You have to let them take "recruiting visits" every year now. Its a completely ridiculous rule but it is what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT