ADVERTISEMENT

OT: most embarrassing moment- Sport

I was a starter on our 8th grade basketball team. I got taken out for a bad turnover. I was fired up and ready to go back in. I’m sitting next to my coach and he says go back in the game. I literally go in without checking in at the scorer’s table. Problem is there wasn’t a dead ball. Luckily I got back off the court real quick to avoid a Tech. Oops…🙂

Reactions: TFBaum
I went wrong way when I received the opening tip in a basketball game. Didn’t shoot though. Got called for back court. Haha.
My sophomore year of high school I was running scout team WR against our defense. I ran a slant route that our LB (who later was a multi-year starter at Duke) read perfectly and I knew he was going to lay me out.

I guess I closed my eyes but when he hit me, he hit me up high and wrapped me up and gently laid me down on the ground slowly. Then he stood over me grinning through his mouthpiece. Everyone was laughing as I opened my eyes and got back up.

Of course I get back to the huddle and everyone’s teasing me. And then our OC called the exact same play again. 🤦‍♂️

I went wrong way when I received the opening tip in a basketball game. Didn’t shoot though. Got called for back court. Haha.
In 7th grade basketball, I was probably about 5'-5" and was stuck with the role of being our "big man" because I could rebound. We were a small school, and played against one of Altoona's jr high teams in a tournament (Keith or Roosevelt). I think everyone on their team was taller than me, and I was put on notice when I saw guys on their team going over the rim during warmups.

The game was a slaughter. After being abused for the whole game in the paint, I was able to get my revenge. On the low box during a foul shot, I was able to get leverage on their big man with my forearm in his ribs and push him out of the way for the rebound. I put it back up smoothly off the glass for two..... for the other team. Most embarrassed I ever felt. Probably my only bucket of the game.

My sophomore year of high school I was running scout team WR against our defense. I ran a slant route that our LB (who later was a multi-year starter at Duke) read perfectly and I knew he was going to lay me out.

I guess I closed my eyes but when he hit me, he hit me up high and wrapped me up and gently laid me down on the ground slowly. Then he stood over me grinning through his mouthpiece. Everyone was laughing as I opened my eyes and got back up.

Of course I get back to the huddle and everyone’s teasing me. And then our OC called the exact same play again. 🤦‍♂️
That is pretty awesome.

Even though I played football in school, I fell in love with golf as a 12 year old. In 1975 at age 17 I came in second at 7 Springs in the local Elks Club Tournament, and qualified for the state Eks Tournament in Pottstown, Pa. I was so nervous on the first tee which was right along the tree line on the left-hand side looking towards the fairway. I tried to tee off as far as the right as I could on the Teebox, but ended up pulling my T shot directly left, struck a tree as square as could be with shot the ball right past me probably 15 to 20 yards behind the tee box. The starter had to clear out all the tables , chairs etc so I could hit my second shot. Never
So embarrassed before or after. Ended up shooting a 96 with a hole out from the bunker on 18 for a birdie. Played the next day (of a two day event) in the first group out based on score from first round. With no pressure at all shot an 81.

The day we arrived to the state tourney another local player and I were assigned to room with two kids from Sharon, Pa. We were staying An old fashion Holiday Inn, where when you exited your room you were outside on the balcony. When we open the door to enter our room, the two other guys were already there rolling joints on a table and we scared the crap out of them. They thought they were busted. It was so hilarious. Couple years later when I matriculated to Westminster College one of the kids on my dorm floor was from Sharon Pennsylvania. He also liked the chronic.

I got cut from the 8th grade basketball team. Later that year, that team lost to Clairton junior high 118 to 19. As bad as our team was, I wasn’t good enough to make the team.

Even though I played football in school, I fell in love with golf as a 12 year old. In 1975 at age 17 I came in second at 7 Springs in the local Elks Club Tournament, and qualified for the state Eks Tournament in Pottstown, Pa. I was so nervous on the first tee which was right along the tree line on the left-hand side looking towards the fairway. I tried to tee off as far as the right as I could on the Teebox, but ended up pulling my T shot directly left, struck a tree as square as could be with shot the ball right past me probably 15 to 20 yards behind the tee box. The starter had to clear out all the tables , chairs etc so I could hit my second shot. Never
So embarrassed before or after. Ended up shooting a 96 with a hole out from the bunker on 18 for a birdie. Played the next day (of a two day event) in the first group out based on score from first round. With no pressure at all shot an 81.
Haha! I can laugh because that is pretty much how I feel with my first tee shot each round. Why is that first T box so nerve racking? I usually just hope not to hurt anyone or damage anything!

First game of the season and slid hard into 3rd base to beat the throw, fractured my thumb and wrist. Didn't realize how bad it was until I went up to bat the next inning and fouled the ball off. Hurt so bad that I let go of the bat and it almost made it into the opposing team's dugout.

I was a pretty good baseball player growing up. Always made all stars, started as a freshman on my high school team, etc. But when I was 13/14 years old I struggled hitting a curveball.

During 13 year old all stars, we faced a kid who only threw curveballs. That’s it. He had no fastball, change up, etc.

He went to the neighboring high school that was our rival, and happened to be where my dad taught. Made playing sports against them “fun”. The kid was a good dude, but a total burnout weedhead already at 13. When we faced him, my team was blasting the ball all over the field off of him. I, still adjusting to hitting curve balls, went 0-3 with 3 k’s on 9 straight curveballs! The last time I faced him he told me he was throwing a curveball, but I still missed it!

Was shuttling the play in as a HS WR. Ran to the huddle with the play. The dumbass WR I was replacing didn't bow wide, ran straight at me. I tried to adjust to miss him, but we hit head on full speed and both went down. After that I forgot the damn playcall.

Basketball: Dropped my gum on the court just as we were circled up for tip-off. Had no idea what to do with it, so I put it back in my mouth. Someone on the other team yelled "Eww."

Football: Broke my clavicle earlier in the practice in 7th grade. When my number got called during a game of Bull in the Ring, I tried making the most pathetic left-handed tackle of all time. Basically me just hanging on a dude.

Baseball: Hit a ground rule double and then stole third base with someone on it (I was assuming my hit cleared the bases). Two games later, I stole third base again with someone on it. I remember popping up from my slide, looking my teammate directly in the eyes, and saying "Oh, shit."

Also hit a home run against Carrick in Legion, but it was over their right field fence which was a very short distance. At our field in West Mifflin, you only got a double if you hit it over right field (also a short distance). So I kind of hung out by second base for a while not sure what to do. I think I recall throwing my hands up in the air in an "I dunno" fashion while everyone was looking at me like I didn't know the rules of baseball.

Running out of legal golf balls during a match against Mt. Lebanon.... reaching down into my bag and finding only a "Robinhood" ball (British ball that at the time was slightly smaller than normal golf ball and not legal for tournaments). Played 3 holes with it before my opponent noticed and turned me in. Had to forfeit the match, with my coach ripping into me the whole way home in the team van.

The Mt. Lebo guy was up 4 holes to 2 at the time... so he was going to likely beat me anyway... and ever since then I've hated Mt. Lebanon and consider them to be snooty narcs. haha.

Also... ever since then.... I never go onto the course without at least 9 or 10 balls in my bag - overcompensating.

Last edited:
Got a concussion at judo and immediately ran to the bathroom to poop. How do I know this is a side effect? Because then it happened again a few months later.

In basketball one time I thought a kid was fouled on a two, but it was a three. After the second foul shot, I grabbed the ball, took it the other way as everyone else stared at me, refused to stop, and laid it in. My dad yelled "heads up play!" and I still don't know if he was joking, 30 years later.

Sr. Year Boiling Springs wrestling tournament. Was leading first round match 17-1 (didn't have TF back then) got caught in a near leg cradle and pinned with 25 seconds left in the match. First loss of the season too.

Nothing major in organized sports. I mean I shot an air ball from the foul line when I was an exceptional free throw shooter. But in beer league softball, I was responsible for all three outs in an inning. Lead off guy singles, I hit a hard one hopper to the SS. He steps on second and doubles me at first. Next guy gets a single and since he has a bad leg, I pinch run. Next guy up swings and misses and I'm off the base.

Pre-game lineup intros for high school basketball... routine was that they call your name, you run over and shake the hand of the opposing coach and then join your teammates at center court surrounded by our cheer team. After shaking his hand, I turn around and blindly walk into a cheerleader in the middle of her high kick and took a foot to the gut. Had to laugh it off and pretend it didn't hurt as I jogged to center court, but, man, it was quite a shot.

A bit lower and I may still be lying on the court.

Running across the field and through the endzone during a national television broadcast as I was in the process of schitting myself while coaching a game against Ohio State...
Who let you come back topside?

First open water triathlon I panicked and swam back to shore. Believe me it is worse than anything anyone else on here can muster. If I knew any of you I could not type these words.

In 8th grade I was playing in a basketball game and one of our players shot and another teammate grabbed the rebound and I basically fouled him trying to put the ball back in the hoop. The refs almost called me for a foul until the realized we were on the same team. Stuck to football!

Probably alot. I guess most memorable was having a Skoal dip in for like the first time in my life (because others was doing it and through it was cool) and going up for a ground ball I swallowed some of it, got way dizzy and puked at 2nd base.
To this day, the smell of Skoal makes me nauseous.

Probably alot. I guess most memorable was having a Skoal dip in for like the first time in my life (because others was doing it and through it was cool) and going up for a ground ball I swallowed some of it, got way dizzy and puked at 2nd base.
OMG. Sophomore year JV practice I am a little cb. The guys convinced me to try Skoal. They run a sweep to my side I sallow. Make the tackle and start throwing up. The coaches think I have a concussion everyone on the defense is laughing. Ran city steps

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT