ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NBA Thread

The dirty secret of KCP is that he's a 3 and D wing who isn't very good at the 3 or the D.

I think that his defense is merely average, but is 38% from 3 that bad? He has hit that percentage with more volume (with the Lakers) previously.

I think he is placed perfectly as a first off the bench guy/5th starter on a team full of players that allow him to not be a volume guy.

I think that his defense is merely average, but is 38% from 3 that bad? He has hit that percentage with more volume (with the Lakers) previously.

I think he is placed perfectly as a first off the bench guy/5th starter on a team full of players that allow him to not be a volume guy.

Eh, he's not bad but he's pretty much the most average player imaginable. Not that average doesn't have value, mind, because he's not going to hurt you much but he also really isn't capable of elevating his game.

In his three seasons in LA he has basically featured as a spot up shooter (91% of his three point attempts are catch and shoot) and he is shooting 36.9% on catch and shoot threes compared to the league average of 36.2% on those situations. So his three point value added is 3 points on 100 possessions which is really negligible when you are playing with LeBron.

Defensively he's...fine? He was better in his first couple of years in the league but this season his Drtg was 110 on a team with a Drtg of 106 which is a little bit below average.

Reactions: TheChair
Davis, with the Pelicans, took out these same Blazers (with Dame, Nurkic and CJ) in 4 two seasons ago as well.

The Lakers have guys like James, Green, McGee, Rondo, Smith and Cook that have won championships along with Howard, who has been to a championship and has a lot of playoff experience.
Good point on the Pelicans previously sweeping the Blazers. I honestly don't even recall that series, so can't say what occurred there.

I like Green but he's always been streaky, since San Antonio. He's either hot or cold, no consistency. Rondo is injured and hasn't played in a while. Not sure what JR can offer. Javale and Cook aren't scaring anyone.

I haven't been impressed with the Lakers before this loss and they're very likely to lose the series. Blazers have a better overall team.

Also, Anthony Davis is very overrated. He's never impressed me.
I have to disagree on Davis. He is an excellent player.

The Lakers have been suffocating on defense tonight while hitting open shots. It looks like they will keep LeBron under 30 minutes tonight, which means a lot if they are going to make a longer run.

Reactions: thirteenNINE
The Lakers have been suffocating on defense tonight while hitting open shots. It looks like they will keep LeBron under 30 minutes tonight, which means a lot if they are going to make a longer run.
It looks like JV vs Varsity tonight.

Looks like Dame dislocated a finger. Definitely no need to try to come back tonight.

I haven't been impressed with the Lakers before this loss and they're very likely to lose the series. Blazers have a better overall team.

Also, Anthony Davis is very overrated. He's never impressed me.

I think he heard you. Sure played a heck of a game two.

Reactions: cease10
Collins being out 2 to 4 weeks for Portland is a much bigger deal than people let on. It was already a tall task but now I'd say that they're cooked. He gives a lot on his role for them. To me, he's second best guy with size. Very versatile too.

I'll say Lakers in 6 now but could even be 5.

Collins being out 2 to 4 weeks for Portland is a much bigger deal than people let on. It was already a tall task but now I'd say that they're cooked. He gives a lot on his role for them. To me, he's second best guy with size. Very versatile too.

I’m thinking 5 especially with Dame being hurt.

I get what you are saying, but the Lakers could say the same about Rondo. And, they are missing Bradley, who would be chasing around Lillard and CJ (also, the Blazers are missing Ariza, who would do the same to LeBron).

The big thing for these teams at this time of year generally comes down to the stars as long as they are not devoid of support. The potential loss of Lillard gives the Blazers very little chance if the Lakers have AD and/or LeBron on the other side of the floor.

Provided Lillard is healthy and plays, if the Blazers want to have any chance in this series, they have to get better play from Anthony and Whiteside, so I agree with your general point that they need better play from their size (I am not sure Collins does more for them than either of the aforementioned guys though).

At the end of the day, they cannot stop LeBron and AD near the hoop. Those guys get on the block and it is game over.

Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
Oh, I agree, Chair. Mentioned Collins because it's a very recent development. If Rondo and Bradley are there, I'd have said sweep before the series. Going into the bubble and this series, we knew they were out. We expected Collins to be available though. He was playing and was healthy.

So if you're Toronto you're convinced you can repeat, right? Considering how vulnerable LA, LA, and Milwaukee have looked?

So if you're Toronto you're convinced you can repeat, right? Considering how vulnerable LA, LA, and Milwaukee have looked?
Yep...I think they felt that way prior to the pandemic.

They want to prove that they can win without Kawhi.

They're hungrier than ever.

Reactions: Ski11585
Yes. If VanVleet, Siakam and Lowry keep it up they just might too. Playing great. No superstar though. Lotta stars. Now proven veteran stars afterr last year's title run. Fearless.

Last edited:
The Jazz looked great today. Blew the Nuggets away.

Watching this Sixers game, I am unsure how Joel Embiid is so out of shape right now. Just not good. He is laboring in the first quarter.

Luka is shooting FTs tonight like a guy that may be a little worn down ...

It is a masterclass in throwing away resources in order to lean into the herd. They need to find a new slant.

To me, I think that the biggest mistake will always be Fultz. In the top five of that draft, there was a 60% chance of getting either an excellent (Tatum, Fox) or mostly solid player (Ball) and they completely missed while trading up to make the pick.

Boston was always going to take Tatum, I have no doubt. And LA was either going to take Ball or Fox (I really think media hype and pressure from ownership caused Magic to take Ball because he was reportedly very enamored with Fox). So, Philly traded up to take the guy that they likely could have gotten at #3 (their worry was that Boston would trade the pick to someone that wanted Fultz, but Boston was limited because they wanted Tatum).

I understand what they were trying to do but they just really missed on him. Meanwhile, Boston trades down, still gets the guy that they want and accumulates more draft capital. An accurate illustration of the overall present aptitude and quality of both organizations.

I get the Butler trade. It made sense to me in terms of taking a shot. It just did not work on a chemistry level and they did not want to punt on "their guys," so Butler was gone. So, you have no Butler and you lose the team guys in Saric and Covington that handle the dirty work/small items.

I like Tobias Harris a lot in a third best player role. But, they gave up too much capital for him and they are too dependent upon him as a scorer relative to his talent level because though Simmons is very unique, he does not score that much.

Their best move was drafting and then being patient with Embiid. But, he seems to lack some maturity and it just feels like his body is a ticking time bomb though he has stayed healthy enough over the past few years.

I think that The Process worked in terms of putting together a solid team, but that was not really the goal. The goal was championships. And, it just appears that they will fall short once the book is completely written.

Leonard is so good.

He really is.

Since Jordan, he is the guy that reminds me most of Jordan. Even more than Kobe did.

Kobe had all the physical mannerisms of Jordan and settled into a lot of the same areas that Jordan utilized (better than Kobe).

But, Kawhi plays the game so efficiently just like Jordan did. He may lean strictly on 3-4 moves/shot areas, but he is seemingly automatic in them at times. Jordan always had style yet never sought style points; Kawhi is the same way. Just brutally and ruthlessly effective. Makes the simple plays all the time.

Kawhi is also mentally and physically a dog (in a complimentary way) on defense; relentless, smart, never goes away. Plays the team and individual games both very strong.

His mentality is hard. You are not going to beat him mentally for the most part.

He does not have the overall offensive game that Jordan did or the natural athleticism/fluidity. But, he is an absolutely outstanding basketball player.

Happy to see Nurse win coach of the year. He’s no Bennet but it’s well deserved.

It is a masterclass in throwing away resources in order to lean into the herd. They need to find a new slant.

I agree but first round draft picks are such a small sample and literally one pick different and the team could have worked out much better.

What if they took Tatum instead of Fultz?
Porzingis or Booker instead of Okafor?
Noel? MCW? Not everyone can be wise or lucky enough to get the Greek freak or Leonard in mid to late 1st round but still..

The hockey has been great, so I have been watching more of that. But did watch some of the Lakers/Blazers and of course Celtics/Sixers. I think what strikes me is how truly large of a human being Joel Embid is.

Dallas is getting exposed for being inexperienced right now. Some real bad plays when in the lead.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT