ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NBA Thread

Yup. Stick a fork on them, and Brown will be getting fired.

Hey, turning Covington, Saric, Redick, Shamet, Luwawu-Cabarrot, Richaun Holmes and two firsts into Harris, Horford, Scott and Josh Richardson wasn't Brown's fault! But yeah, he's totally still fired.

Reactions: Ski11585
Pulling an SMF here.

Denver in 6.
Boston in 5.
Milwaukee in 4.
Raptors in 5.
LAC in 5.
Heat in 7.
LAA in 5.
OKC in 7.

Also - I've not rooted against a team in ages as hard as I'm rooting against the Clippers.

Why are your rooting against the Clippers? (I'm neutral on them)

Why are your rooting against the Clippers? (I'm neutral on them)

Don't get me wrong. They play a great style of basketball. Kawhi is great. I just don't like them! I'm kinda pulling for LeBron to win another and I see them as his biggest threat.

I won't lie, some of it also has to do with my strange inability to ignore Skip Bayless and I think LeBron beating the Clippers would make him unhappy so I'm really rooting for that.

They got lucky yesterday with Porzingis getting ejected. Don't know if they win if he plays the whole game. Doncic was outstanding.

Man, talk about a garbage ejection too. Both of those T's were incredibly soft calls for a hotly contested playoff game, especially the first which was just classic thin skinned referee nonsense.
What I took from the comments of the announcers, as well as comments on ESPN website, was that the first t was for his fist punch in the air, which they said was an automatic t. I don't follow the NBA that closely, and never heard of that.

Brown will be fired (fair -- every roster he has had has struggled with turnovers), but imho the real problem is the Sixers have had three consecutive GMs simply miss too many times on draft picks, trades, and free agent signings. The result has been a series of somewhat talented but incoherent teams with mediocre chemistry and no "culture" (buzzword warning) of winning.

Don't get me wrong. They play a great style of basketball. Kawhi is great. I just don't like them! I'm kinda pulling for LeBron to win another and I see them as his biggest threat.

I won't lie, some of it also has to do with my strange inability to ignore Skip Bayless and I think LeBron beating the Clippers would make him unhappy so I'm really rooting for that.

They got lucky yesterday with Porzingis getting ejected. Don't know if they win if he plays the whole game. Doncic was outstanding.

The Blazers are now my favorite team because of my son, but it's also pretty fun to watch Dame right now.

The are followed by the Celtics (love Brad and Brad) and OKC because of Steve.

After that -- probably the Bucks.

I appreciate LeBron, but I'd probably say I'm more rooting for him to lose.

The Blazers are now my favorite team because of my son, but it's also pretty fun to watch Dame right now.

The are followed by the Celtics (love Brad and Brad) and OKC because of Steve.

After that -- probably the Bucks.

I appreciate LeBron, but I'd probably say I'm more rooting for him to lose.

I have tons of respect in every sense for LeBron -- and have always rooted against him. I embrace the contradictions.

If you have some skill as a big and you get on the right team you can last in the NBA like ex Pitt player K. Birch is with Orlando playing in the Playoffs.

Reactions: TheChair
If you have some skill as a big and you get on the right team you can last in the NBA like ex Pitt player K. Birch is with Orlando playing in the Playoffs.

Birch is a solid backup. I think that he ran into hype issues too young and it affected his growth. Also, he was always much older than his competition until he hit college.

I am happy to see that he has carved out a decent career, making good money. I hate though that I view him as the start of the end of Pitt's great program that they once had.

So uh. The Bucks...

Straight up didn't take Orlando seriously today and you really just can't flip a switch defensively against NBA teams. Even a bad team like Orlando is going to have a Vooch who if you let him get cooking he's just going to go off.

Straight up didn't take Orlando seriously today and you really just can't flip a switch defensively against NBA teams. Even a bad team like Orlando is going to have a Vooch who if you let him get cooking he's just going to go off.
I took Orlando +10 live once I saw they came ready to play and Milwaukee was flat. I hope I didn’t jinx it.

Reactions: thirteenNINE
It is surprising how LA just cannot hit shots recently in the bubble. Not sure why. If they need this series to extend long and bully Portland, I think they will get it done. But, for them to play deep, multiple players need to start hitting jumpers.

I don't think anyone had both the Bucks and Lakers losing Game 1.

Definitely getting a hot college team making a deep run in March vibe from the Blazers right now.

Definitely getting a hot college team making a deep run in March vibe from the Blazers right now.
They have a slight advantage early in this series because they've been playing meaningful games all bubble season

Fun question imho: who is more likely to lose in the first round now that they are down 1-0 -- the Lakers or Bucks? (I realize some people will just say "neither, but I am not asking if either is likely, only which of the two is more likely.)

Lakers. Players 3-8 on the Blazers right now are better than 3-8 on the Lakers. LeBron shouldn't have to play hero ball in the first round to keep a game close like that.

I haven't been impressed with the Lakers before this loss and they're very likely to lose the series. Blazers have a better overall team.

Also, Anthony Davis is very overrated. He's never impressed me.

I haven't been impressed with the Lakers before this loss and they're very likely to lose the series. Blazers have a better overall team.

Also, Anthony Davis is very overrated. He's never impressed me.

I think that you will come to eat these words later. Davis is an excellent basketball player. His stats/metrics literally match up to anyone and he is a beast when healthy on the floor. As he turns up the intensity, I think you will see a lot of what people see in him during this playoff run.

The Lakers are still very likely to run over the Blazers. It was just one game where they shot 5 of 32 from distance. It is hard to win when you shoot like that against anyone in the NBA.

Lillard is an excellent basketball player and the Blazers have made for a great story, but their likelihood of getting out of this first round series with LA is pretty low. If the Lakers get in real trouble (say they go down 2-0), all that will happen is that LeBron and Davis will offensively condense the game and bully the Blazers. It would be an all-time upset if the Blazers get out of this series.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyGossamer
AD's stats are meaningless to me. The only stat that matters are playoff wins. That's all.

I'll take Dame, CJ, and Nurkic over this Lakers squad any day.

Khem Birch.....this is the first time I've seen him since when he was in college and my gosh he looks like a totally different person. The person I remember in college was skinny and now he's all bulked up. I was like damn.

AD's stats are meaningless to me. The only stat that matters are playoff wins. That's all.

I'll take Dame, CJ, and Nurkic over this Lakers squad any day.
If it's all about playoff wins, wouldn't you take James over the entire Blazers squad?

I think that you will come to eat these words later. Davis is an excellent basketball player. His stats/metrics literally match up to anyone and when he is a beast when healthy on the floor. As he turns up the intensity, I think you will see a lot of what people see in him during this playoff run.

Anthony Davis metric fun fact, only five players this season had usage rates over 25% and were worth +0.1 points for their team every possession: Giannis, Kawhi, LeBron, AD, and Jimmy Butler.

Anthony Davis metric fun fact, only five players this season had usage rates over 25% and were worth +0.1 points for their team every possession: Giannis, Kawhi, LeBron, AD, and Jimmy Butler.

In a time of special basketball players, he generally stands out. He is very unique.

I am a little worried about the Lakers right now just because they have played very disjointed in the bubble. I understand that they spent time working through new potential rotations, etc. in most of the games, especially after clinching. But, they need to start to gel again like they were when the season was suspended.

That said, against the Blazers, they have a high likelihood of winning even if they have to take it to 7. AD and LeBron are just too much at the end of the day (barring injury, of course).

I would guess that Caldwell-Pope, Green and Kuzma (and LeBron) start hitting more shots soon.

If it's all about playoff wins, wouldn't you take James over the entire Blazers squad?

Davis, with the Pelicans, took out these same Blazers (with Dame, Nurkic and CJ) in 4 two seasons ago as well.

The Lakers have guys like James, Green, McGee, Rondo, Smith and Cook that have won championships along with Howard, who has been to a championship and has a lot of playoff experience.

In a time of special basketball players, he generally stands out. He is very unique.

I am a little worried about the Lakers right now just because they have played very disjointed in the bubble. I understand that they spent time working through new potential rotations, etc. in most of the games, especially after clinching. But, they need to start to gel again like they were when the season was suspended.

That said, against the Blazers, they have a high likelihood of winning even if they have to take it to 7. AD and LeBron are just too much at the end of the day (barring injury, of course).

I would guess that Caldwell-Pope, Green and Kuzma (and LeBron) start hitting more shots soon.

If they don’t, Dion and/or JR need to get a little more run.

If they don’t, Dion and/or JR need to get a little more run.

I am not sure that JR has anything left. Waiters does, but I think he is a terrible stylistic fit for this crew. And, inside the bubble, his timing has looked completely off (which is understandable considering he did not play much of any this year).

The guy that they need to take a step forward, in my view, is Caldwell-Pope. He fits everything that they need that player to be (take care of the ball, hit open shots and play D) and has largely done the role well this year. But, he has to hit shots. He has the ability to hit them and he gets very good shots just from playing with LeBron and AD (like everyone else on that team).

I also think that getting back Rondo will not hurt because he makes the game easier for everyone and allows James to take a break. He will be back this series at some point, it appears.

Reactions: pittjas
I am not sure that JR has anything left. Waiters does, but I think he is a terrible stylistic fit for this crew. And, inside the bubble, his timing has looked completely off (which is understandable considering he did not play much of any this year).

The guy that they need to take a step forward, in my view, is Caldwell-Pope. He fits everything that they need that player to be (take care of the ball, hit open shots and play D) and has largely done the role well this year. But, he has to hit shots. He has the ability to hit them and he gets very good shots just from playing with LeBron and AD (like everyone else on that team).

I also think that getting back Rondo will not hurt because he makes the game easier for everyone and allows James to take a break. He will be back this series at some point, it appears.

The dirty secret of KCP is that he's a 3 and D wing who isn't very good at the 3 or the D.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT