ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Draft

Well let’s be honest-Richardson wasn’t even a good college QB. Not by any of the traditional measures-like production, leading your team and winning.

Every year there’s a guy like this. Rarely has that panned out.
The times I've watched him play he was horrible. Inaccurate, bad decisions, no touch, and just about any other bad trait tied to throwing a football besides arm strength.

Just like Malik "Upside" Willis, more athletic, higher ceiling than an old 24-year-old like Pickett? I hear ya. :)

I know very little about Richardson or Levis, just that the conversation is familiar.

Hey I had Pickett as my QB1 all along! I really did. Sam Howell was my QB2 and he's starting this year.

I'm taking my pats on the back.

I know it's subjective; but many of the so-called NFL pundits are grading the Steelers 1st round pick of Broderick Jones as a B. Their reason is his rawness (he started/played only 19 games in college). And aren't all of the draft picks "raw" when it comes to playing in the NFL? But considering he allowed 0 sacks, and played LT for the NCAA National Champions ... time will certainly tell, but as a Steeler fan you have to be pleased with the choice (on paper)

Maybe a B grade is warranted for his experience; the move to obtain him, however, was an A+. Turned out to be a potential WIN/WIN for both the Steelers and Patriots; a major LOSE for the Jets. Will be interesting to see what Omar Khan has up his sleeve for Day 2 ...

Jones isn't really "raw," per say, he's just inexperienced. He's an excellent run blocker and is a bit inconsistent with certain aspects of playing LT like not always getting his hands low and not immediately contacting the rusher after the snap. Those are pretty minor things. He has the important things that you need for a LT which are good feet, good recovery, and the ability to dominate in at least part of the game already. The rest will come with time. I expect him to win the job in 2023 and be a plus-starter as soon as 2024.

Lions should be primed to take Levis. You'd think someone that needs a QB badly like the Titans or the Rams would be eager to have that discussion with the Steelers.
Titans? What about "Upside" Willis? :)

They seem to love Okie though, for whatever mysterious reason.
I think he will be gone after this season for sure, if he makes it that far. His 2024 cap hit is around $12 million with only $3 million dead. That $9 million cap savings looms large.

For 2023, they would only save around $3 million by cutting him.

Jones isn't really "raw," per say, he's just inexperienced. He's an excellent run blocker and is a bit inconsistent with certain aspects of playing LT like not always getting his hands low and not immediately contacting the rusher after the snap. Those are pretty minor things. He has the important things that you need for a LT which are good feet, good recovery, and the ability to dominate in at least part of the game already. The rest will come with time. I expect him to win the job in 2023 and be a plus-starter as soon as 2024.
"Raw" was probably a poor word for me to use - I was paraphrasing - as you're correct. Jones is more inexperienced than raw. His mechanics/athleticism (on film) appear not just 1st round worthy, but resemble what "franchise" LT's have. Hoping that this choice - along with the FA's they got earlier - provides the Steelers with better protection for KP

Well let’s be honest-Richardson wasn’t even a good college QB. Not by any of the traditional measures-like production, leading your team and winning.

Every year there’s a guy like this. Rarely has that panned out.
I’m honestly asking the question. Was he any less productive than Kenny Picket in his first year or two ? Again I’m not saying he’s not a huge reach especially for a high first round pick but given his incredible physical skills I wouldn’t immediacy say he’s going to be a flop. He just hasn’t played enough college ball to judge those intangibles There’s no doubt he’s a project and has a steep learning curve I’m just not sure you can say he won’t pan out yet

Feels like we can't go wrong, honestly. It's a good vibe when you fleece the Bears and make a first round pick that actually makes sense.

Bah. They could have swapped with Vegas or similar teams that were fairly close to this pick and gotten more picks back, and likely still gotten Porter a few more picks down, since his stock had clearly dropped. So as smart as they were yesterday, they were as dumb today.

I smell the linament of the old man there demanding this, given his family’s deep lust for that wretched institution. Dumb move, or lack thereof.

F the Nits to deepest hell.

Bah. They could have swapped with Vegas or similar teams that were fairly close to this pick and gotten more picks back, and likely still gotten Porter a few more picks down, since his stock had clearly dropped. So as smart as they were yesterday, they were as dumb today.

I smell the linament of the old man there demanding this, given his family’s deep lust for that wretched institution. Dumb move, or lack thereof.

F the Nits to deepest hell.

Yesterday you were sure that they were going to pick him at 17, tonight you think that they could have gotten him a lot lower than 32.

Tennessee traded the No. 41 overall pick, No. 72 overall pick and a 2024 third-round pick to Arizona in exchange for the No. 33 and No. 81 overall pick to draft Levis. You’d assume we would have been offered something similar.

Tennessee traded the No. 41 overall pick, No. 72 overall pick and a 2024 third-round pick to Arizona in exchange for the No. 33 and No. 81 overall pick to draft Levis. You’d assume we would have been offered something similar.

Wow. That kind of makes me sick. I'm not entirely sold of Porter to begin with. Plus he made a joke out of Pitt.

Edit: Just saw the part where Arizona gave up pick 81. So basically it was just a 3rd rounder. Not as sick.

You would think. And that would mean they must have really loved Porter.

That would have been a nice haul.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
shit, i would have taken that.

Either his post didn't have the part about the 81st pick initially or I didn't see it. I first read it as two 3rd rounders.

Surely that deal was there for the Stillers. 32 and 80 for 41, 72 and a third next year. The only way I take that is if there isn't anyone that I like at 32. And that clearly wasn't the case for the Stillers.

My head is spinning !
Calgon take me away !!!

Surely that deal was there for the Stillers. 32 and 80 for 41, 72 and a third next year. The only way I take that is if there isn't anyone that I like at 32. And that clearly wasn't the case for the Stillers.

I'm fine with it if we truly believe we got out guy. It's not easy to evaluate corners as a fan.

But I've been bitching up a storm about not investing high draft capital on the big money positions. Seems like we're doing that now, so I can't complain.

Realistically, we should be receiving something very close to an A so far. I just have some doubts about Peezy Jr. Not the least of which being his father is Peezy.

I'm fine with it if we truly believe we got out guy. It's not easy to evaluate corners as a fan.

But I've been bitching up a storm about not investing high draft capital on the big money positions. Seems like we're doing that now, so I can't complain.

Realistically, we should be receiving something very close to an A so far. I just have some doubts about Peezy Jr. Not the least of which being his father is Peezy.
His old man is a trouble maker.

Richardson gets criticized as this super raw prospect but his sack rate is literally 3 times less than Will Levis's on obvious passing downs. Plus he's a freak athlete, most athletic QB to ever test. He's also only 21 and Levis is 23. Lot more room to grow.

I think he's a much better QB prospect than Levis and I don't think it's close.
We'll see. I think they both are average

Reactions: HailToPitt725

Doubts are valid in this case. The draft can go different ways based on specific needs, but clearly a guy like him originally targeted as a 20ish pick by many, had lost some luster. For instance he would normally had been a good pick near the end of the round for Philly last night; it similarly would have pleased their significant PSU fanbase there … but they passed for another guy who had similarly slipped.

So he’s probably lucky the Steelers did feel the sentiment (and obviously much of it was just that) to take him at 32, or he could well have slipped into the 40s.

As a Steeler fan, I can swallow the PSU bile on Sundays if the guy delivers (I eventually started to warm to Friarmuth as he began to play better last season, often the only guy Pickett could count on). So…you better deliver, Joey. Because the team has many other needs that a different player at 32 could also have fulfilled.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT