ADVERTISEMENT

OT: NFL Draft

NFL GMs agree with me. Some mocks had Levis at #2 overall but doesn't even go in Round 1. The guy isnt good at playing the quarterback position. He may have a strong arm and check some other boxes but he sucks as a QB.

What would be a good get for trading the 32nd pick? Could the Steelers get a 2, 3, and 5 in this year's draft? Is that enough to make them pass on JPJr?
Honestly, I don’t think so. In theory, the idea of trading down and stockpiling picks makes sense. However, I think if a first round caliber player is still on the board (which there is) and has a chance to fill a long-term hole at a position of need (which I think he can), then you need to stay there. IMO, one really good player is worth 2-3 average/not bad players.

What would be a good get for trading the 32nd pick? Could the Steelers get a 2, 3, and 5 in this year's draft? Is that enough to make them pass on JPJr?

The draft value chart puts this pick at 590. So if they wanted to pick up a mid third, they would basically need to move down to the middle of the second.

Teams obviously don't adhere to it religiously, but it's a decent indicator. Or they can probably move down like 8-10 spots and pick up 4th.

I thought Richardson should be sitting with him. I didn't think either were 1st rounders.

Richardson gets criticized as this super raw prospect but his sack rate is literally 3 times less than Will Levis's on obvious passing downs. Plus he's a freak athlete, most athletic QB to ever test. He's also only 21 and Levis is 23. Lot more room to grow.

I think he's a much better QB prospect than Levis and I don't think it's close.

The draft value chart puts this pick at 590. So if they wanted to pick up a mid third, they would basically need to move down to the middle of the second.

Teams obviously don't adhere to it religiously, but it's a decent indicator. Or they can probably move down like 8-10 spots and pick up 4th.

Gotta make teams overpay for a QB or maybe Zach Charbonnet. Something where there's a big value drop off after 1 more guy.

This assumes people think Levis is a high 2nd prospect which he might not be!

I thought Richardson should be sitting with him. I didn't think either were 1st rounders.
Agree. At some point, lack of actual on-field production and lack of winning should matter more than raw arm strength, height, weight, 40 time, vertical and bench reps with 225.

Maybe he's the next Josh Allen. More likely he's the next Jamarcus Russell.

Beyond his obvious accuracy issues and lack of polish as a passer, I'd be just as worried about the fact that he didn't lead his team to a winning record as a starting QB. That should say a lot.

If Jesus H. Christ, All-Universe left tackle of Holy Trinity U, were available to the Steelers at 17 … and Joey Porter the Second is also still there … the Steelers would set the record for the shortest submittal of their pick to the commish ever. Joey Sr. would the then be out there announcing his son as the pick, likely needing some expletives deleted . Ron Cooks underwear shortly would need changed.
This didn't age well, Joey Sr. is in the XFL, they didn't take Joey Jr. but maybe today at #32? At that pick, I wouldn't mind it, since so many projected him as a 1st rounder.

I'm shocked that Jones was there. The trade made sense because he wasn't getting past the Jets. Love big, athletic OT's. Speed makes up for a lot of issues with technique. He'll at least be able to get a body on some of these speed guys. No issue giving up that 4th rounder to make that move. You don't get a whiff at 1st round graded OL-men at 17 most years so you take it.

Richardson gets criticized as this super raw prospect but his sack rate is literally 3 times less than Will Levis's on obvious passing downs. Plus he's a freak athlete, most athletic QB to ever test. He's also only 21 and Levis is 23. Lot more room to grow.

Agreed. I think Richardson will emerge as the best that came out of this draft

This didn't age well, Joey Sr. is in the XFL, they didn't take Joey Jr. but maybe today at #32? At that pick, I wouldn't mind it, since so many projected him as a 1st rounder.
They definitely made a great move to get the OT … that was desperately needed above all other positions And it is still going to work out that they’ll get their gem at 32. The city can still rejoice!

I don’t mind it, he’s a good player, graded a first by many, so a bonus that they were able to still get him in the second round, and it’s a position of need for them. All I dreaded was the hype (if he was the #1), but that will be somewhat less now that he failed to be taken in the first round.

Reactions: Pitt79
Gotta make teams overpay for a QB or maybe Zach Charbonnet. Something where there's a big value drop off after 1 more guy.

This assumes people think Levis is a high 2nd prospect which he might not be!

I think some teams might have Hooker graded similarly, but yeah... will definitely be interesting. Like, if I'm a team like Tennessee there is no way I'm taking Levis. I'm tanking for the best QB in the draft next year. Teams like Vegas, Seattle, etc... sure, you can see if he develops.

They definitely made a great move to get the OT … that was desperately needed above all other positions And it is still going to work out that they’ll get their gem at 32. The city can still rejoice!

I don’t mind it, he’s a good player, graded a first by many, so a bonus that they were able to still get him in the second round, and it’s a position of need for them. All I dreaded was the hype (if he was the #1), but that will be somewhat less now that he failed to be taken in the first round.
I admit, I would have been pissed if the trade up was for JPJr, but he was rated as a 1st rounder by many, so I don't want to be biased based on what people on this message board say, because many will say he sucks or is overrated just because he's a Nitter. I won't mind at all if they pick him at #32. But I'd consider trading #32 for a later second round pick and an extra later round pick, like a 3 or 4, if you could find a buyer.

I think some teams might have Hooker graded similarly, but yeah... will definitely be interesting. Like, if I'm a team like Tennessee there is no way I'm taking Levis. I'm tanking for the best QB in the draft next year. Teams like Vegas, Seattle, etc... sure, you can see if he develops.
What I find funny is the name Malik Willis has been erased from all NFL discussion :)

Just like Malik "Upside" Willis, more athletic, higher ceiling than an old 24-year-old like Pickett? I hear ya. :)

I know very little about Richardson or Levis, just that the conversation is familiar.

What I find funny is the name Malik Willis has been erased from all NFL discussion :)

He's so bad. I have a friend who can't accept being wrong about anything. He absolutely hung himself out to dry on the Willis over Pickett hill, but he'll never acknowledge it. He's usually vague enough to claim being right no matter what the outcome is, but if he tells me flat out: Team X will win this game by 40 and then Team X loses or only wins by 3, he'll blame it on the backup guard spraining his elbow or something. The excuse for Willis, who is absolutely awful, should be interesting.

Reactions: Pitt79
He's so bad. I have a friend who can't accept being wrong about anything. He absolutely hung himself out to dry on the Willis over Pickett hill, but he'll never acknowledge it. He's usually vague enough to claim being right no matter what the outcome is, but if he tells me flat out: Team X will win this game by 40 and then Team X loses or only wins by 3, he'll blame it on the backup guard spraining his elbow or something. The excuse for Willis, who is absolutely awful, should be interesting.
I started noticing this weeks ago, as TV talking heads started discussing the draft and they'd say something like, Well Tennessee can draft Richardson or Levis and they can learn for a while behind Tannehill, and the conversation would go on for ten minutes and the name Willis would never come up, like Malik never existed at all :)

Agreed. I think Richardson will emerge as the best that came out of this draft
On the contrary, I think he'll emerge as the worst pick in the first round.

I don't care about his athletic ability, he's a bad thrower of the football. I find the love fest with him unbelievable.

Agree. At some point, lack of actual on-field production and lack of winning should matter more than raw arm strength, height, weight, 40 time, vertical and bench reps with 225.

Maybe he's the next Josh Allen. More likely he's the next Jamarcus Russell.

Beyond his obvious accuracy issues and lack of polish as a passer, I'd be just as worried about the fact that he didn't lead his team to a winning record as a starting QB. That should say a lot.
Tend to agree but you have to admit that physically Richardson is perhaps the most talented Qb ever drafted. However as you’ve indicated physical talent doesn’t necessarily translate to being a good NFL QB. Intangibles like reading defenses, pocket presence and vision are far more important not to mention accuracy (which I think Richardson has over a guy like willis).

Problem with Richardson is there just isn’t enough of a track record to assess those intangibles. It’s worked out for him but it’s a total crap shoot for the colts.

Young by far has the best intangibles. The issue with him is will he hold up.

I’m not sold on The OSU kid and Levis is another Richardson. In his defense he was hurt last year and his OL was awful. Few Qbs are very good when there’s a hail break most plays

How this qb class pans out is going to be interesting. Hooker could be the steal of the draft .

will-levis-3-1.jpg
all dressed up, no wheres to go....

those chicks are still rockin, i think one is his sister.

With Levis and Hooker still on the board, some team might be willing to overpay and move up to 32 to take one of them.

Reactions: pittdan77
On the contrary, I think he'll emerge as the worst pick in the first round.

I don't care about his athletic ability, he's a bad thrower of the football. I find the love fest with him unbelievable.
The Josh Allen Effect has caused temporary blindness in some NFL personnel evaluators. They think they can take a guy with a low completion percentage, glaring accuracy issues, a poor TD to INT ratio, and a losing record and turn him into a great NFL QB. As long as he’s built like a brick shithouse, can run fast, jump high and throw a football really far.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Tend to agree but you have to admit that physically Richardson is perhaps the most talented Qb ever drafted. However as you’ve indicated physical talent doesn’t necessarily translate to being a good NFL QB. Intangibles like reading defenses, pocket presence and vision are far more important not to mention accuracy (which I think Richardson has over a guy like willis).

Problem with Richardson is there just isn’t enough of a track record to assess those intangibles. It’s worked out for him but it’s a total crap shoot for the colts.

I’m not sold on The OSU kid and Levis is another Richardson. In his defense he was hurt last year and his OL was awful. Few Qbs are very good when there’s a hail break most plays

How this qb class pans out is going to be interesting. Hooker could be the steal of the draft .
Well let’s be honest-Richardson wasn’t even a good college QB. Not by any of the traditional measures-like production, leading your team and winning.

Every year there’s a guy like this. Rarely has that panned out.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga

I think Young is innately better as a classic QB … but that this notion is getting obsolete (he’s not nearly a dinosaur as Stroud, at least). For these times I think Richardson has the better upside, given how the league has evolved with the QB position thanks (?) to guys like Jackson.

Rules also have evolved to uber-protect such guys (a mere brush to the torso at the whistle draws a flag). It makes sense in order to preserve the investments owners have made, so that these guys can take off with little fear.

Conversely defenses emphasize the edge rush more than anything else. So the guy HAS to be able to delude these rushers. Stroud has little chance, Young somewhat more so, but Richardson will shine in this regard.

It doesn’t even seem to matter whether classic old school skills, like being able to step up in the pocket and continue through progressions, are there any more. Now it is considered the better decision to take off, whereas that was anathema in the past.

It is yet another thing that makes this the greatest game…seeing how all these guys fare. People are still debating the class of 1983, after all. So much better than baseball or hockey, where guys get drafted and then disappear in the minors forever and forgotten. We’ll start to gauge all this in only a few short months.

I know it's subjective; but many of the so-called NFL pundits are grading the Steelers 1st round pick of Broderick Jones as a B. Their reason is his rawness (he started/played only 19 games in college). And aren't all of the draft picks "raw" when it comes to playing in the NFL? But considering he allowed 0 sacks, and played LT for the NCAA National Champions ... time will certainly tell, but as a Steeler fan you have to be pleased with the choice (on paper)

Maybe a B grade is warranted for his experience; the move to obtain him, however, was an A+. Turned out to be a potential WIN/WIN for both the Steelers and Patriots; a major LOSE for the Jets. Will be interesting to see what Omar Khan has up his sleeve for Day 2 ...

Reactions: Drew1208
I know it's subjective; but many of the so-called NFL pundits are grading the Steelers 1st round pick of Broderick Jones as a B. Their reason is his rawness (he started/played only 19 games in college). And aren't all of the draft picks "raw" when it comes to playing in the NFL? But considering he allowed 0 sacks, and played LT for the NCAA National Champions ... time will certainly tell, but as a Steeler fan you have to be pleased with the choice (on paper)

Maybe a B grade is warranted for his experience; the move to obtain him, however, was an A+. Turned out to be a potential WIN/WIN for both the Steelers and Patriots; a major LOSE for the Jets. Will be interesting to see what Omar Khan has up his sleeve for Day 2 ...
Raw is a bad, hyperbolic word to describe B.Jones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT