ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Olympics - Biles

It’s a little confusing. From what I have read she withdrew from the Individual All Around which takes place today or tomorrow but she is still scheduled to compete in what I guess is the Individual Performance which starts Sunday.

Biles got 7th and 10th place in the world in 2 qualifying events and imploded in the first team event then stepped down. Thats not something to praise someone for - it's just a sad story. The star this event is the girl who stepped in and replaced Biles and helped Team USA win silver, along with the 2 girls who did all 4 events. Theyre the ones who should be celebrated.

I've been pretty active in this thread and haven't really seen anyone say this.

She is not competing in the individual competition.
You haven't seen anyone say what? There have been posters stating that criticizing her for quitting is off-limits.

Whether she competes in the individual competitions is still open, except for all-around. She withdrew from it.

Last edited:
The fact you pull up old posts either proves you are somewhat in need of help or have a lot of time on your hands…

but aside from that I think numerous people have discussed the differences between true team sports and individuals…. Soooooo?
It took 5 seconds.

Team vs individual doesn't matter. Its a differentiation without a difference. You think teams can choke but individuals can't?

Eric Heiden won five gold medals in speed skating in the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, NY. He soon after finished second in a race and retired from the sport. Is it OK to consider him the GOAT even though he didn't bother defending his titles in Sarajevo in 1984?
Yep, easily. Not comparable in the least.

You haven't seen anyone say what? There have been posters stating that criticizing her for quitting is off-limits.

Whether she competes in the individual competitions is still open, except for all-around. She withdrew from it.
Nobody is saying you can’t talk about athletes choking. You’re arguing against nobody when you say that.

Nobody is saying you can’t talk about athletes choking. You’re arguing against nobody when you say that.
You're avoiding the elephant in the room.

I guess we are at a point where people like yourself feel they can judge someone whose life they can’t possibly imagine living on a daily basis… ?

bottom line is for whatever reason that article made it clear she isn’t in shape to continue, would hurt herself and the team if she did? Who is anyone who watches the sidelines qualified to judge?

It’s just astounding (or not really) that the default by so many people here is to criticize and assume she’s a weak minded quitter. If facts come out to support this I’ll eat crow. But she’s won medals on broken toes and with kidney stones all while facing sexual assault.

That doesn’t strike me as a weak minded quitter.

Your reply here makes no sense. The appearance of choking sure seems to be one if the biggest debate points in this whole thread if not the primary one.

Reactions: NCPitt

you mean this clown?

Reactions: DruidTM
Also, not an amateur.

IMO, this puts her at the bottom of Olympic All-Around Gold medalists and above all those without AR gold medals. What happened to celebrating greatness, overcoming adversity, fighting through obstacles?!?!?

if what Biles did is brave and courageous, I am a full-fledged dragon slayer for quitting golf! Wait, I didn’t quit. I opted out, or something.

Bottom line, I recognized my limitations and did something about it. I let me take care of me. I faced my demons. And, most importantly, I am now living my best life :)
Just noted a subtle difference in the debate of GOAT in the post you pasted into yours. Limiting it to US gymnasts only, I was thinking all gymnasts not just US. I’d consider it debatable in both cases but especially considering all gymnasts.

You're avoiding the elephant in the room.
Nah. You're making up arguments. The post of mine you quoted has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not we can call her or any athlete a choker.

This is starting to look like a Zeise twitter feed minus the 5 usual gifs.

but like Zeise twiiter i am
Powerless to stop looking at it.

Aly Raisman and Michael Phelps defended her and said they understood and supported her decision. Those are the only two people who have walked in her shoes. They should end it. Not a bunch of dudes sitting behind a laptop in a lazy boy eating wings all day whose most stressful event is taking a dump.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Nah. You're making up arguments. The post of mine you quoted has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not we can call her or any athlete a choker.
The dictionary definition of choke is "to lose one's composure and fail to perform effectively in a critical situation". That is exactly the situation under discussion.

Aly Raisman and Michael Phelps defended her and said they understood and supported her decision. Those are the only two people who have walked in her shoes. They should end it. Not a bunch of dudes sitting behind a laptop in a lazy boy eating wings all day whose most stressful event is taking a dump.
They also didn't quit despite being in the same situation.

The dictionary definition of choke is "to lose one's composure and fail to perform effectively in a critical situation". That is exactly the situation under discussion.

I would like to think your smart enough to see nuance in situations. Perhaps not.

You're arguing one thing and everyone else is arguing something else. Have fun.

I would like to think your smart enough to see nuance in situations. Perhaps not.

You're arguing one thing and everyone else is arguing something else. Have fun.
There is no difference in the 2 situations, even in nuance.

Sorry, a GOAT doesn’t quit. This is a big part of what makes a GOAT a GOAT. Doesn’t mean her career hasn’t been amazing, it has. If her mind put her health in danger, she made the right call. Nonetheless, it does put her behind other all-around and team champions that didn’t freeze.
I don't know. MJ quit basketball for two years after his first three-peat. I think a lot of that was due to mental exhaustion.

Really, you think that ends it??

what did you expect them to say. Neither of them would come anywhere close to risking PR backlash by criticizing or saying anything negative about it. Get real.

Really, you think that ends it??

what did you expect them to say. Neither of them would come anywhere close to risking PR backlash by criticizing or saying anything negative about it. Get real.
It ends it when the other side of the spectrum includes such luminaries as Piers Morgan and other clown shoes … yes. Do you really believe it’s all about “backlash”! Or perhaps they just have a hell of a better perspective on the situation and are worth listening to?

It ends it when the other side of the spectrum includes such luminaries as Piers Morgan and other clown shoes … yes. Do you really believe it’s all about “backlash”! Or perhaps they just have a hell of a better perspective on the situation and are worth listening to?
I think that you, as usual, have a perspective that is warped.

The issue is that she never used that as her reason. It may very well be an issue but she explicitly and clearly talked about feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders coming into the Olympics. She felt the pressure and she cracked under it. As I said on the pay board, it shouldn't brand her as a person but it also shouldn't be dismissed by others under the guise of empathy.

The issue is that she never used that as her reason. It may very well be an issue but she explicitly and clearly talked about feeling the weight of the world on her shoulders coming into the Olympics. She felt the pressure and she cracked under it. As I said on the pay board, it shouldn't brand her as a person but it also shouldn't be dismissed by others under the guise of empathy.
This whole thread confuses the heck out of me. I’m just not sure what’s being argued. She was great and her accomplishments make her the best of all time. What she’s overcome makes it even more impressive. She stopped being great the day she quit, and that’s ok. It takes nothing away from the career she had. Did she choke? Yeah. But I don’t know why people get offended by that term. No one is perfect. Not even the best at what they do.

Yeah I definitely believe that the chances are slim to none that any US Olympic athlete would say anything negative for fear of backlash. What world do you live in.

This whole thread confuses the heck out of me. I’m just not sure what’s being argued. She was great and her accomplishments make her the best of all time. What she’s overcome makes it even more impressive. She stopped being great the day she quit, and that’s ok. It takes nothing away from the career she had. Did she choke? Yeah. But I don’t know why people get offended by that term. No one is perfect. Not even the best at what they do.
That's been my point since my first post.

• Love
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Yeah I definitely believe that the chances are slim to none that any US Olympic athlete would say anything negative for fear of backlash. What world do you live in.
Taking any and all of that into account I’m still listening to former athletes over Piers f@cking Morgan…this really really isn’t a difficult concept to understand I don’t think…you weigh the source given any bias and past statements and make a call…. ?

what world do you live in???

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT