ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Olympics - Biles

Taking any and all of that into account I’m still listening to former athletes over Piers f@cking Morgan…this really really isn’t a difficult concept to understand I don’t think…you weigh the source given any bias and past statements and make a call…. ?

what world do you live in???
Your posts have migrated into ones laced with profanity. Why do you get so angry? Lol.

• Haha
Reactions: WeaverIsComing
Interesting that a couple of Biles' big defenders believe that choking does occur in sports.
How long did it take you to search these threads in the Pitt archives. Impressive use of time.

and yes I know as a lifetime Pitt and Atlanta falcons fan what choking it. I'm an authority by virtue and Biles didn't choke.

Taking any and all of that into account I’m still listening to former athletes over Piers f@cking Morgan…this really really isn’t a difficult concept to understand I don’t think…you weigh the source given any bias and past statements and make a call…. ?

what world do you live in???
I sure ain’t listening to P Morgan or for that matter any other talking head. Most of them talk solely to stir up controversy, increase their following, garner clicks, however you what to describe it.

I think most are capable enough to form their own opinions without relying on media commentary.

Can you imagine Michael Jordan or Walter Payton competing with today's athletes?

I'd picture it like a Lion licking his chops as a wounded gazelle walks across his path in broad day light.

Reactions: Conemaugh
How long did it take you to search these threads in the Pitt archives. Impressive use of time.

and yes I know as a lifetime Pitt and Atlanta falcons fan what choking it. I'm an authority by virtue and Biles didn't choke.
5 seconds. Put "choke" in the search and your handle in the posted by. Boom, there it is, Not too impressive.

Her lack of performance literally fits the textbook definition of choke.

Apples and oranges as explained above. Big difference between individual and team sports
No difference at all. Teams are made up individuals making plays. If a player misses a free throw and the team loses, they/he choked. If a FG kicker misses a winning FG for any reason- bad snap, missed block, bad hold, etc., the team choked.

She didnt choke. She quit. There is a difference. The didn't do well on her first few attempts and gave up.

that is a big difference than Jordan leaving basketball after the season was over. The Jordan comparison would only apply if she chose not to participate in the US qualifiers a few weeks ago.

apparently not honoring her as a hero for this move is somehow offensive and not showing her grace.. no one is questioning her career, really no one is blaming her that much either. but the silly narrative from the media that she is a hero for withdrawing wasnt 100% accepted by the masses and that upsets the few that do..

She did quit. I agree with that. She also quit knowing the fourth best gymnast in the country was there and ready to step in to take her place on the team.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
ok, apparently some are taking shots at her. this is a bad take and way over the line..

Texas Deputy Attorney General Aaron Reitz sparked outrage on social media Tuesday after tweeting that Simone Biles was a "national embarrassment" after she announced her withdrawal from the Tokyo Olympics.

ok, apparently some are taking shots at her. this is a bad take and way over the line..

Texas Deputy Attorney General Aaron Reitz sparked outrage on social media Tuesday after tweeting that Simone Biles was a "national embarrassment" after she announced her withdrawal from the Tokyo Olympics.
Texas...nuff said.

She didnt choke. She quit. There is a difference. The didn't do well on her first few attempts and gave up.

that is a big difference than Jordan leaving basketball after the season was over. The Jordan comparison would only apply if she chose not to participate in the US qualifiers a few weeks ago.
There is no difference. She didn't perform due to pressure she felt after first underperforming. Its textbook choking.

Not to mention the fact that she won 4 golds in the 2016 games and became the GOAT, all after enduring years of sexual abuse by Nassar.
She didn’t need any excuses back then. But now she does, so go figure. I don’t think she’s actually using it as an excuse but there are enough on here doing that for her.

She did quit. I agree with that. She also quit knowing the fourth best gymnast in the country was there and ready to step in to take her place on the team.
Biles also knew that that gymnast was not prepared to take her place in the events she dropped out of, and she and the rest of the world knew that without her (Biles) the US team had virtually no chance of a gold.

As the Russian coach said before the games, Biles is 70% of the US team--take her off the team and we beat them easily.

Well, she took herself off the team, and that's exactly what happened. All that said, she had been struggling all week, in every warm up, every qualifier, etc. She was clearly not right--so I'm not sure if she had continued that it would have made much of a difference. But we'll never know.

The alternates are amongst the best this country has and therefore are the amongst the best gymnasts in the world. They are there to step in when needed. She was ready.

Would it have also been a choke if an "off" Biles 1) forced herself out there and cost the team a medal because of poor performance and 2) gotten badly injured in the process?

Would it have also been a choke if an "off" Biles 1) forced herself out there and cost the team a medal because of poor performance and 2) gotten badly injured in the process?
Based on the definition, you tell me how it would not have been. Choke - "to lose one's composure and fail to perform effectively in a critical situation".

didnt he quit because they killed his dad for mj not paying off his gambling debts? or did the nba force him to take a few years off? I forget the latest rumor..

So she is sitting out the team competition for mental health reasons, costing them the gold medal, but she might take part in the individual events for herself? Sounds like a diva.
Disagree. She clearly was completely out of sorts on two consecutive nights. Committed four huge mistakes. She looked worse than any gymnast I can ever remember at the Olympics. To get over something like this usually requires a lot of counseling over several months. If she can get her head together in a much shorter time, she will resume competing. If not, she won't. I will be surprised if we see her again, but wish her the very best if she gives it another try.

Based on the definition, you tell me how it would not have been. Choke - "to lose one's composure and fail to perform effectively in a critical situation".
Well that was what I was getting at. So she's a choke by dropping out period regardless of the rrason. And unless she competed and brought home gold she would have choked also? What constitutes performing in a critical situation? Gold? Silver? Bronze? Is everything not gold a choke since she's favored and the reigning champ?

Last edited:
Well that was what I was getting at. So she's a choke by dropping out period regardless of the rrason. And unless she competed and brought home gold she would have choked also? What constitutes performing in a critical situation? Gold? Silver? Bronze? Is everything not gold a choke since she's favored and the reigning champ?
If she got physically hurt and had to withdraw or performed poorly, it would not be a choke. Or if she played and just flat out got beaten by a better competitor it wouldn't be a choke.

Honestly, I don't really think she "choked" per se. It's not some horrible failure or anything. It just kinda looks bad on her. And it's kinda weird that people are so hellbent on squashing any criticism of her.

A star athlete pulling out of the biggest competition in the sport mid-competition, without any kind of injury, is weird and is just naturally going to be questioned. It's pretty baffling that anyone would think otherwise.

Reactions: NCanton Panther
I don't remember him quitting in the middle of a championship series or deciding game, let alone citing pressure and stress as his reasons for doing so.

Well since the reason that he quit was because he was "mentally exhausted" from trying to deal with the death of his father, and his decision to play baseball instead was called an attempt to connect to the game that his father loved, I'm not sure you can dismiss pressure and stress so out of hand.

Well, either that or he was secretly suspended for his illegal gambling, one or the other.

If she got physically hurt and had to withdraw or performed poorly, it would not be a choke. Or if she played and just flat out got beaten by a better competitor it wouldn't be a choke.

Honestly, I don't really think she "choked" per se. It's not some horrible failure or anything. It just kinda looks bad on her. And it's kinda weird that people are so hellbent on squashing any criticism of her.

A star athlete pulling out of the biggest competition in the sport mid-competition, without any kind of injury, is weird and is just naturally going to be questioned. It's pretty baffling that anyone would think otherwise.
We still don't know the real reason despite what she says. She could have been injured for all we know and not want to state t. Elite NFL QBs play injured all the time and never blame a shitty game on being injured. It's always deflected to something else. Maybe she was doing that. We won't even know.

Well since the reason that he quit was because he was "mentally exhausted" from trying to deal with the death of his father, and his decision to play baseball instead was called an attempt to connect to the game that his father loved, I'm not sure you can dismiss pressure and stress so out of hand.

Well, either that or he was secretly suspended for his illegal gambling, one or the other.
As others have pointed out, Jordan didn't quit in the middle of the NBA Finals.
We still don't know the real reason despite what she says. She could have been injured for all we know and not want to state t. Elite NFL QBs play injured all the time and never blame a shitty game on being injured. It's always deflected to something else. Maybe she was doing that. We won't even know.
She and her coach both said she wasn't injured. It possible she actually was. If she was injured, it's honestly dumb to hide the injury with this nebulous mental issue explanation. That just makes it worse.

It is not a choke or a quitter. Remember Steve Blass. This is exactly what happened. She has totally lost it. Not sure she will ever come back.

No. She gave a reason - mental issues. And her earlier statements indicated that she was dealing with pressure and not handling it well. The reason is everything. Had she dropped out or underperformed due to a physical injury it would not fit the definition. But her open discussion of everything around her situation makes it clear that she cracked under the pressure.

So everybody lied. Why would they do that?

I'll take her at her word. I have no reason to believe otherwise.

As others have pointed out, Jordan didn't quit in the middle of the NBA Finals.

What difference does that make? He had teammates who were counting on him. He quit. For mental health reasons. That's either a valid reason for both of them, or they are both quitters.

You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.

What difference does that make? He had teammates who were counting on him. He quit. For mental health reasons. That's either a valid reason for both of them, or they are both quitters.

You don't get to have your cake and eat it too.
Sorry, no that's asinine. Jordan finished out the season and delivered a championship to his teammates. He finished the job. Comparing someone retiring after the season to someone quitting right in the middle of an event is beyond ridiculous.

Reactions: Conemaugh
Comparing someone retiring after the season to someone quitting right in the middle of an event is beyond ridiculous.

He didn't retire. He quit. As is evidenced by the fact that a short time later he was back playing again. Had he actually retired, as in stopped playing for good, then you'd have a point. But he didn't. So you don't. He took a mental health break at a time that he was the best player in the world and was most likely to win another championship.

Just because you like Jordan that doesn't mean that you get to ignore what he actually did. Or, I guess, didn't do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT