ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: penguins

yeah flyers havent won NOTHING in 16k days soooooooooooooo..... its soo easy to win Pens fans.

Deja Vu again. Second straight game the Pens were seconds away from a regulation win against the Flyers and cough up a goal and then lose in OT. Philly won both games without leading at any point until the end. Brutal.

Lay off Murray. He was good tonight.

That is sure an understatement
Yeah I was just about ready to pocket my winnings and Sid pretty much pulled the $ back out of my pocket.

Poor decision near the end of regulation where he was maybe looking too much for the ENG instead of cementing the W. And the game winner in OT was terrible.

Reactions: gary2
Yeah I was just about ready to pocket my winnings and Sid pretty much pulled the $ back out of my pocket.

Poor decision near the end of regulation where he was maybe looking too much for the ENG instead of cementing the W. And the game winner in OT was terrible.
Pomp on TV after the game saying Murray should have saved both goals. No mention of Sid.

Deja Vu again. Second straight game the Pens were seconds away from a regulation win against the Flyers and cough up a goal and then lose in OT. Philly won both games without leading at any point until the end. Brutal.

Lay off Murray. He was good tonight.
Yeah but I mean, so was Hart. MM has to make a save there. He has done it, but it just felt like it was going to lose.

Sid was awful. Kessel was awful again. Hornquist is a bad contract. Murray was good, except in the last seconds he has to make that save.

No Letang, no Malkin for "weeks"? Fahgetboutit. Without Geno, there is no scoring balance, especially with Kessel now just limited as a PP performer.

They actually played well in the second and most of the third. Blueger really elevated. Dumoulin was fantastic last night. I thought Trotman filled in nicely too. Hart just played a great game.

To me the biggest black mark is the power play, which has been bad all year. Now without Letang and Malkin it is completely broken. The Pens had a chance to add another goal or at least wear Philly down with their last two PPs. They registered like 3 shots total, struggled to get it across the blue line and gave up another short handed break the other way. Kessel is at best indecisive, but at worst a liability on that unit.

Saw Letang was ready to come back, but held back by Sullivan because it was Philly. Can't say I blame him, but damn if that point has us playing was or tampa in round 1.

Just when you think they are out of the woods and on their way, they drag you back down!

Saturday's game was pitiful.
Sunday's game was a choke job!

Malkin probably has broken ribs. He was cross checked hard in the Blues game, no penalty of course, so who knows how long that will take?

Perhaps Letang coming back will provide another offensive option? Right now, as someone said above, the PP is almost a detriment. They almost gave up a couple more shorties yesterday.

Syd stopped on breakaways both Saturday and Sunday. He's played brilliantly lately, but had a bad weekend. Maybe he's worn out a bit as well?

Murray was great on Sunday, but needed to be great for another 10 seconds! And again in OT.
Not a goalie expert, but appeared he should have come out and challenged the guy on the game winner. He stayed back and gave the guy the whole right side of the net to shoot at, which of course he did and buried it!

Still in position to make the playoffs, but confidence in a run is waning!

They actually played well in the second and most of the third. Blueger really elevated. Dumoulin was fantastic last night. I thought Trotman filled in nicely too. Hart just played a great game.

To me the biggest black mark is the power play, which has been bad all year. Now without Letang and Malkin it is completely broken. The Pens had a chance to add another goal or at least wear Philly down with their last two PPs. They registered like 3 shots total, struggled to get it across the blue line and gave up another short handed break the other way. Kessel is at best indecisive, but at worst a liability on that unit.
They definitely played well in the 2nd, carried the majority of play but couldn’t get one past Hart. Third was more even, particularly the # of PP’s that we generated absolutely nothing on, gave up some good chances for a shorthanded goal or quickly gave back the man advantage with our own penalty.

Just when you think they are out of the woods and on their way, they drag you back down!

Saturday's game was pitiful.
Sunday's game was a choke job!

Malkin probably has broken ribs. He was cross checked hard in the Blues game, no penalty of course, so who knows how long that will take?

Perhaps Letang coming back will provide another offensive option? Right now, as someone said above, the PP is almost a detriment. They almost gave up a couple more shorties yesterday.

Syd stopped on breakaways both Saturday and Sunday. He's played brilliantly lately, but had a bad weekend. Maybe he's worn out a bit as well?

Murray was great on Sunday, but needed to be great for another 10 seconds! And again in OT.
Not a goalie expert, but appeared he should have come out and challenged the guy on the game winner. He stayed back and gave the guy the whole right side of the net to shoot at, which of course he did and buried it!

Still in position to make the playoffs, but confidence in a run is waning!
Well especially with Malkin out. And Kessel is a mess. And Hornquist, man I was on the fence last year when we gave him that contract, hindsight is showing maybe it was best to cut ties. He had a few opportunities where he was just caught or outquicked by the Flyer defender last night.

Are we really doing this after every loss? 7 points above the line with 9 games to play. They’re fine. The 8th seed will end up playing Tampa and it’s not going to be the Pens.

Last night’s loss sucked but it was evident after the boneheaded play that lead to the tying goal that we were toast.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
Are we really doing this after every loss? 7 points above the line with 9 games to play. They’re fine. The 8th seed will end up playing Tampa and it’s not going to be the Pens.

Last night’s loss sucked but it was evident after the boneheaded play that lead to the tying goal that we were toast.
Yeah....but the Malkin news and the mess that Kessel and Hornquist are right now, Letang still out, this has to be really concerning.

Well the reason this thread is going to be 100 pages is because everyone needs to come on here and pass blame for every loss :) I agree the Pens won’t finish 8th, but the first wild card is probably 50/50 right now for them. Thankfully the last 3 games of the year are two against Detroit and one against the Rangers. Then again, with these Pens, 6 points in those games is no layup.

Why not? It's a message board, to you know, discuss stuff.
Glad you're confident we're getting in, most are, but can't be thrilled with how things are unfolding.
People are interested and engaged, you know......fans!

Reactions: HOF Coach
The power play, empty net situations, 3 on 3 OT... all so bad. And given this team's talent, it shouldn't be.

I feel like in recent years they've been good at the 3 on 3. But this year, it's just been brutal to watch.

Not to act like the sky is falling - they should still get in the playoffs, and who knows. But I just have this feeling the best they can do this season is win 2 rounds. Or 1. And even that won't be easy.

The power play, empty net situations, 3 on 3 OT... all so bad. And given this team's talent, it shouldn't be.

I feel like in recent years they've been good at the 3 on 3. But this year, it's just been brutal to watch.

Not to act like the sky is falling - they should still get in the playoffs, and who knows. But I just have this feeling the best they can do this season is win 2 rounds. Or 1. And even that won't be easy.

The Pens at 3 on 3, 4 on 3 and 5 on 3 are abysmal, considering the talent they have. I was thinking back if the Lemieux/Jagr teams had 3 on 3, youza!

I think this team, especially when it is not I dunno, so motivated, just are way too enamored of the pretty pass. The extra pass. Sometimes the prudent play is to shoot and have a second guy go hard to the net for a rebound. But they just try too many peripheral passes that don't lead to chances, then try a 40 foot pass through the slot to the opposite side that gets intercepted and often is high enough gets picked off and sending the opposition on an odd man break.

The Pens at 3 on 3, 4 on 3 and 5 on 3 are abysmal, considering the talent they have. I was thinking back if the Lemieux/Jagr teams had 3 on 3, youza!

I think this team, especially when it is not I dunno, so motivated, just are way too enamored of the pretty pass. The extra pass. Sometimes the prudent play is to shoot and have a second guy go hard to the net for a rebound. But they just try too many peripheral passes that don't lead to chances, then try a 40 foot pass through the slot to the opposite side that gets intercepted and often is high enough gets picked off and sending the opposition on an odd man break.
The past two games, they shot it a lot, the problem was the opposing goalie swallowed them. No rebounds for second chances.
They ran into two very good goalie performances.
Unfortunately, ours sucked in one, and needed to be great for another 20 seconds longer.

That's the way it has to be in one goal games, your goalie has to stand up and win the game. Especially in the final minutes/seconds.

Laughed at some guys comment in the Trib. Said Sullivan should replace Murray in the final minute of close games. Like bring in the closer! LOL
Might actually work!

A somewhat alarming trend: Pens used to be one of if not the best OT teams and that has seemingly flipped the other way. Pens should win 2 of 3 3 on 3 OTs and used to be lights out on shootouts. Not anymore.

Sullivan opted for 2 Dmen on some of the later PPs, no doubt to protect against giving up more short handed opportunities.

I'd guess Letang returns tomorrow with Malkin out and it being a very critical game.

In the post-game radio show Bourque openly questioned the lack of retaliation on Saturday against former-Pen Bortuzzo. One could argue that they were more concerned with getting 2 pts when it happened, but once that went away, where was Gudbranson to do what he was acquired to do?

Why not? It's a message board, to you know, discuss stuff.
Glad you're confident we're getting in, most are, but can't be thrilled with how things are unfolding.
People are interested and engaged, you know......fans!

I saw them beat the two hottest teams back to back about a week ago. Then they blanked a team that was the flavor of the week for awhile. This team is going to be a hard out for anybody. Once Letang is back that’ll change the dynamic. All they have to do is hold on until healthy. I’m not saying they’re going to win the cup but I’m confident that’ll well see the team that played Washington and Boston more often than the one that played this weekend come playoff time. Tampa, Washington and Boston is the short list of teams in the East that can take the Pens out in 7 and do you really think the Caps want to have anything to do with them again?

I’ll admit after the Stadium Series game it looked like this wasn’t the year but since March began they’ve earned a point or more in almost every game they’ve played. Similarly, last night blew but it was a minor set back. Sullivan knows how to insulate Murray and that won’t be any different this year. Tuesday is an opportunity for a 4 point swing and with the pressure on Carolina I like our chances.

Ultimately, you’re right this is a message board and it’s fun to be engaged with you guys. However, it’s also disingenuous to play the woe is us card after every tough loss.

I saw them beat the two hottest teams back to back about a week ago. Then they blanked a team that was the flavor of the week for awhile. This team is going to be a hard out for anybody. Once Letang is back that’ll change the dynamic. All they have to do is hold on until healthy. I’m not saying they’re going to win the cup but I’m confident that’ll well see the team that played Washington and Boston more often than the one that played this weekend come playoff time. Tampa, Washington and Boston is the short list of teams in the East that can take the Pens out in 7 and do you really think the Caps want to have anything to do with them again?

I’ll admit after the Stadium Series game it looked like this wasn’t the year but since March began they’ve earned a point or more in almost every game they’ve played. Similarly, last night blew but it was a minor set back. Sullivan knows how to insulate Murray and that won’t be any different this year. Tuesday is an opportunity for a 4 point swing and with the pressure on Carolina I like our chances.

Ultimately, you’re right this is a message board and it’s fun to be engaged with you guys. However, it’s also disingenuous to play the woe is us card after every tough loss.
I guess we'll disagree about what is disingenuous.
Is it Woe is Us to discuss how the game unfolded, who was hot and who was not?
Question strategy after a bad game or praise strategy after a good game?
How else do you discuss the local team except in real time evaluation?

Guess we should all just shut up until the Cup winner is crowned. Would we be allowed to post our takes then?

The past two games, they shot it a lot, the problem was the opposing goalie swallowed them. No rebounds for second chances.
They ran into two very good goalie performances.
Unfortunately, ours sucked in one, and needed to be great for another 20 seconds longer.

That's the way it has to be in one goal games, your goalie has to stand up and win the game. Especially in the final minutes/seconds.

Laughed at some guys comment in the Trib. Said Sullivan should replace Murray in the final minute of close games. Like bring in the closer! LOL
Might actually work!
Against the Flyers maybe. Hahaha

I guess we'll disagree about what is disingenuous.
Is it Woe is Us to discuss how the game unfolded, who was hot and who was not?
Question strategy after a bad game or praise strategy after a good game?
How else do you discuss the local team except in real time evaluation?

Guess we should all just shut up until the Cup winner is crowned. Would we be allowed to post our takes then?

So if we’re discussing strategy, it’s not as if the power play has been a worldburner when Malkin and Letang are healthy. What would you do to mix it up? I’d pull Letang or Geno off the first unit because Shultz is more defensively responsible than either of them.

Why are you getting so personally offended? There are a few guys on here that know more about hockey than I do. I simply shared MY OPINION. Sorry that bothers you so much.

So if we’re discussing strategy, it’s not as if the power play has been a worldburner when Malkin and Letang are healthy. What would you do to mix it up? I’d pull Letang or Geno off the first unit because Shultz is more defensively responsible than either of them.

Why are you getting so personally offended? There are a few guys on here that know more about hockey than I do. I simply shared MY OPINION. Sorry that bothers you so much.
Scolding or telling people what can be discussed or not discussed generally renders a touchy response.

The PP has suffered since Letang is out. Need that big shot up top. Maybe get Crosby out from behind the net so he can shoot more because Kessel is so snake bit.
Malkin won't be available for a while, so maybe put Guentzel in there.

Must be more careful with the fancy passes, too many going the wrong way with great shorthanded chances.

Scolding or telling people what can be discussed or not discussed generally renders a touchy response.

The PP has suffered since Letang is out. Need that big shot up top. Maybe get Crosby out from behind the net so he can shoot more because Kessel is so snake bit.
Malkin won't be available for a while, so maybe put Guentzel in there.

Must be more careful with the fancy passes, too many going the wrong way with great shorthanded chances.

The intent wasn’t to scold or dictate. My apologies...

Agree, someone needs to be more selfish in terms of taking shots. Everyone but Hornqvist and Kessel to a lesser extent looks to pass way too often. Gonchsr balanced both almost perfectly. He should remind the point guys that it’s ok to shoot more often than they do.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
Seems like the Pens aren't getting any traffic in front of the net. Lots of one shots and done. No screens.
Carolina on the other hand are crashing in on Murray, getting second chances and are screening better.

Crosby stoned on Pens best chance.
Don't like the way this one is playing out so far!

There seems to be a major divide between speed and dead weight on this team. All of the defense is playing well aside from Johnson’s silly pinch. Some guys look like pilons though.

Big 4th line flurry, but can't stuff it in! Cullen had great chance on open net but couldn't put the stick on it!
Kessel disease must be contagious! Even Crosby showing symptoms!

Crosby wont get an assist, but he made the critical pass on the Letang goal. Outstanding vision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT