ADVERTISEMENT

Ot: penguins

I don't even know what to say about the PP. The PP goal they scored last night was not really a "PP goal", it was a 2 on 1 off the rush. The only time the PP looked good this weekend is the one (they didn't score) where Malkin started firing shots from all angles. At least they had chances. This team you would think be lethal on 5 on 3's (they have yet to score this year) and 4-3 (more ice)......but they are horrible. Way too deferential. I think Sid is wasted down low like that, he should be the guy who runs this thing like Mario used to from the half wall. Problem is, Malkin likes to play at the half wall.

I think Sid is being wasted where he is. Put Guentzel there. Replace Phil with Guentzel. Set up Malkin for the one times. But stop passing up shots and shoot.
It isn't just that.
They routinely have trouble gaining the zone! That's incredible in and of itself. Hence all the shorties and near shorties they give up.

That's where Letang comes in.
When Kessel is right, it's OK for Syd to play behind the net. Then you have two dangerous shooters, 3 counting a healthy Letang.
Add a healthy Hornqvist being a pest in front of the net and you have a dangerous unit.

The keys are Kessel being Kessel and Letang getting back healthy, at least that's what I think.

I love Crosby. My granddaughter is named after him, and wears #87 in all her sports. She's pretty athletic and excels at everything she tries. I'd love to see Sid score more and shoot more, but he's all about team first and raising everyone's game.

What a difference 9 days makes. I told y'all to relax, still a lot of games left.

Malkin and Kessel will be fine. They are getting chances and pucks will start going in. Hopefully the get hot just before the playoffs start.
We're all glad you were right.
Hope you continue to be right about Malkin and Kessel.

But remember, you could have been wrong too, and still may be. Like you say a lot of games left. However, it does seem like they've thrown the switch, and the new guys are fitting in.
Plus Murray is playing like old Murray. Keep him healthy!

I don't even know what to say about the PP. The PP goal they scored last night was not really a "PP goal", it was a 2 on 1 off the rush. The only time the PP looked good this weekend is the one (they didn't score) where Malkin started firing shots from all angles. At least they had chances. This team you would think be lethal on 5 on 3's (they have yet to score this year) and 4-3 (more ice)......but they are horrible. Way too deferential. I think Sid is wasted down low like that, he should be the guy who runs this thing like Mario used to from the half wall. Problem is, Malkin likes to play at the half wall.

I think Sid is being wasted where he is. Put Guentzel there. Replace Phil with Guentzel. Set up Malkin for the one times. But stop passing up shots and shoot.

They just have to shoot more and go for rebounds and tips. Thats where having Horny in front of the Goalie helps a lot..........They are obsessed with making the pretty play rather than keeping things simple.

It isn't just that.
They routinely have trouble gaining the zone! That's incredible in and of itself. Hence all the shorties and near shorties they give up.

That's where Letang comes in.
When Kessel is right, it's OK for Syd to play behind the net. Then you have two dangerous shooters, 3 counting a healthy Letang.
Add a healthy Hornqvist being a pest in front of the net and you have a dangerous unit.

The keys are Kessel being Kessel and Letang getting back healthy, at least that's what I think.

I love Crosby. My granddaughter is named after him, and wears #87 in all her sports. She's pretty athletic and excels at everything she tries. I'd love to see Sid score more and shoot more, but he's all about team first and raising everyone's game.
Unlike some other athletes or former athletes in this town.

Reactions: FreeportPanther
They just have to shoot more and go for rebounds and tips. Thats where having Horny in front of the Goalie helps a lot..........They are obsessed with making the pretty play rather than keeping things simple.

I love Sullivan's comment a few weeks ago: "it's like they are trying to pass the puck into the back of the net".

That’s absolutely what Kessel and Malkin are trying to do. To that end they should be split on 4-4 and 3-3 too. They’re too comfortable with one another.

It's really great to have a GM that tries to correct teams and isn's afraid to fail/admit to a mistake. A lot of times these guys are arrogant and continue to try and make their acquisition work. JR likes to fail fast and move on if that trade did not work. Every bad trade he's made, he's got that player out before it's too late.

To that end he is loyal to his head coach. For whatever reason, Sullivan didn’t like Cole, Sprong and Reeves so JR traded them away. Also, it became very apparent Sullivan preferred Murray over Fleury. We all have opinions one way or another on each but JR was supportive in all instances

Trying to understand why Simon gets so much Ice time. He doesn’t nothing that we’ll

Sullly is a great coach but his partiality towards Simon is puzzling

Reactions: Phillypanther2
WHAT A GAME!!! Man, these two teams are must see TV when they play. WOW.

Great night with Pitt winning and now the Pens beating the Caps getting the clean 2 points.

Reactions: W1np1tt
Was listening to Lange on the radio on the way back from Philly.
"Let's go Moose hunting on a Harley"! On the fourth goal.
Priceless.
Pens rolling now. Look like a solid club all around.
A fun spring coming up!

Was listening to Lange on the radio on the way back from Philly.
"Let's go Moose hunting on a Harley"! On the fourth goal.
Priceless.
Pens rolling now. Look like a solid club all around.
A fun spring coming up!

His call of the Guetzel goal from a few nights ago in OT was simply awesome. It was like a call from the middle of his prime. Get chills listening to it.

Need the Islanders to lose every once in a while. Maybe Carolina too.
Looking like Pens Islanders first round.

They disposed of an Eicheless Buffalo as they should. DeSmith was really sharp after a long layoff but Buffalo hasn't scored since the 8th grade picnic.

My god, I thought Eric Gradbrunson was some big lumbering pylon when we acquired him, but the guy can really skate. Someone said he is a good player, just so many years in a row playing for losing franchises, he was going through the motions and now he is recharged and motivated.

The Florida guys are also just really good additions. What they bring to the lineup night after night that Brassard and Sheahan wasn't is just night and day.

Great to see 72 and 81 score, especially Phil who is starting to score again with consistency.

87 was dropping dimes again.

Reactions: HOF Coach
They disposed of an Eicheless Buffalo as they should. DeSmith was really sharp after a long layoff but Buffalo hasn't scored since the 8th grade picnic.

My god, I thought Eric Gradbrunson was some big lumbering pylon when we acquired him, but the guy can really skate. Someone said he is a good player, just so many years in a row playing for losing franchises, he was going through the motions and now he is recharged and motivated.

The Florida guys are also just really good additions. What they bring to the lineup night after night that Brassard and Sheahan wasn't is just night and day.

Great to see 72 and 81 score, especially Phil who is starting to score again with consistency.

87 was dropping dimes again.
That's what I thought about last night's game as well. This is how you dispatch opponents on the bottom of the food chain. That is what made the squandering of available points to teams like this earlier so frustrating. But when they click on all cylinders and play with discipline and purpose, this is what you get.

Saturday will be interesting as the Blues are coming on. Need to keep winning because everyone else is as well.

Rutherford blows away his critics. He makes mistakes, but immediately accepts it and does what he has to to remedy it. Remember he really strengthened this team but kept the draft picks! Amazing.

Sullivan has them rolling again. Speed AND Grit! Couple that with a rejuvenated Murray and their competitive with anyone, including Tampa. One thing, the Pens have been there recently and succeeded, Tampa hasn't since 2004. Hope for that matchup. It should be edge of your seat epic!

Bjugstad is quietly and effectively owning the 3C position much like Staal and Bonino did. That in itself is huge and McCann’s contributions every night are the icing on the cake.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Bjugstad is quietly and effectively owning the 3C position much like Staal and Bonino did. That in itself is huge and McCann’s contributions every night are the icing on the cake.
Yep, 3 solid lines that can score.
The weak spot now is the fourth line. And it isn't all that bad, just not perfect with Cullen in the twilight of his career. If that's it, though everyone can live with that.

Reactions: Jakey_John
Yep, 3 solid lines that can score.
The weak spot now is the fourth line. And it isn't all that bad, just not perfect with Cullen in the twilight of his career. If that's it, though everyone can live with that.
Yeah was thinking this last night. First off, I think I can be as effective as Blandisi, so when Rust returns likely this weekend, you move Blueger or Simon down to his Blandisi's spot and the overall team is much better for it. But I never thought the goal was to have Cullen play every game. I think he should sit down the stretch for a game or two. Just to conserve the energy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT