ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Penguins

What a deadline it's already been. So much action this year!
Early speculation on the Canadian trade deadline shows that Marleau will play with Zucker and Crosby on the top line.

Well it's Canadian - of course they are going to put him with Sid. Malkin would be better IMO, but Marleau could actually be that rare player that fits with 87.

In reality though - you probably want Marleau leading that 3rd line in the playoffs - when depth scoring is so necessary.

Crap post IMO. Geno fired up his whole team taking that fight on, and then tied it in the 3rd with one of the best highlight reel goals of any season. He was Money last night.
Lol.
On this site you have to watch where you step.
You people take stuff to seriously.
It was the right time to fight.
He did do a good job firing up the team getting his as- handed to him.
I said he fights like a "girl."
He can play. Very skilled and when he's interested/paying attention he's good.
He's a pus-y on the ice.
If they let that fight go it would have been a TKO-Caps.
I like the fights, I do like winning fighters, just like winning hockey.

Last edited:
Pens acquire Conor Sheary and Evan Rodrigues from BUF for Dominik Kahun.

So let's recap the last 10 days and the comings and goings:

ACQUIRED
F- Jason Zucker
F- Patrick Marleau
F- Evan Rodrigues
F- Conor Sheary

GONE
F- Alex Galchenyuk
F- Dominik Kahun

Bjugstad, Dumoulin, Guentzel and Aston-Reese in the training room.

A little surprised the GMJR hasn't at least added a 7th defenseman type guy similar to Gudbranson or Hunwick as he did the last few years.

Reactions: CougarClaws
Pens acquire Conor Sheary and Evan Rodrigues from BUF for Dominik Kahun.

So let's recap the last 10 days and the comings and goings:

ACQUIRED
F- Jason Zucker
F- Patrick Marleau
F- Evan Rodrigues
F- Conor Sheary

GONE
F- Alex Galchenyuk
F- Dominik Kahun

Bjugstad, Dumoulin, Guentzel and Aston-Reese in the training room.

A little surprised the GMJR hasn't at least added a 7th defenseman type guy similar to Gudbranson or Hunwick as he did the last few years.

You forgot Marino.

Reactions: JD1976
Not up on Rodrigues. Anybody have a somewhat informed opinion?

I really really hate losing Kahun....
Rodrigues is purely a depth player, 4th liner. He can take faceoffs and is a RH shot, so they can use a guy like that. But really, he is nothing much, And I too don't get the infatuation for Sheary by Rutherford.

I don’t think the Pens are any better today than they were yesterday.

I don’t like losing Kahun, and I was not a Sheary fan when he was here. Also, we don’t need to be getting smaller for the playoffs, and we need some help on D.

And then I see trades like...

Wayne Simmons for a 2021 5th (conditionally a 4th) and the Devils retaining 50% of his salary

Ilya Kovalchuk for a 3rd

I like both of those better than the Marleau trade. I think the fan base would get over their hatred of Simmonds and love him once he throws his weight around in a black and gold uniform, but nevertheless.

Even the Namestikov and Tyler Ennis trades.

I don’t like losing Kahun, and I was not a Sheary fan when he was here. Also, we don’t need to be getting smaller for the playoffs, and we need some help on D.

Wayne Simmons for a 2021 5th (conditionally a 4th) and the Devils retaining 50% of his salary

Ilya Kovalchuk for a 3rd

I like both of those better than the Marleau trade. I think the fan base would get over their hatred of Simmonds and love him once he throws his weight around in a black and gold uniform, but nevertheless.

Simmonds would have been a disaster here. Does. Not. Fit.

Daniel Sprong has been traded to the Capitals. This can only mean one thing... he has come back to the Metro Division to haunt Sullivan and Rutherford :)

Stat-heads on Twitter LOVE this deal. Big analytic improvement from Kahun with these two, "try-hard stats are good. On the actual trade, it's difficult to get a fair opinion. I liked Kahun a lot, and trading him for a pending UFA retread and a depth guy having a bad year feels crappy.

On the other hand, the Penguins dramatically improved analytically - and both Sheary and Rodrigues fit the system perfectly. It's really tough to support this trade because Kahun is just a much better scorer, than the other 2, but scoring isn't everything.

Purely on paper, this trade was a 2nd/3rd line tweener for 2 3rd liners. I don't think it's bad from that perspective.

Also I do know the Penguins weren't crazy about Kahun for whatever reason, Sheary and Rodrigues fit the team really well while being terrific analytically.

Classic JR trade, and just no way to know how it will work out until these guys have played some games. And I wonder if the Pens lack of "try-hard" the last month precipitated this move....

Last edited:
Rodrigues is purely a depth player, 4th liner. He can take faceoffs and is a RH shot, so they can use a guy like that. But really, he is nothing much, And I too don't get the infatuation for Sheary by Rutherford.

Some pretty sharp Canadians I know like "E-Rod" a lot as a Penguin. They think it's a perfect fit, and will have an impact on the team....

The team now has downright outstanding forward depth IF healthy:

Zucker-Crosby-Guenzel
Marleau-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Rodrigues-Blueger-Tanev
Sheary

E-Rod is another defensive speedster. I think he's an amazing fit here, just not at the cost of Kahun. I would have preferred to just trade a pick for Rodrigues and keep The Big Kahuna.

Salivating at the idea of a 4th line THAT good. Also wondering if they are clearing the decks for Poulin to make the team this Fall. That kid is the perfect Sully-Penguin.

Good Twitter stuff:

Last edited:
Ran into this for the first time in years. Best Pens Rant Ever. And it's the head coach doing it. And he immediately fixed this team, went 9-3-3 down the stretch and drafted Jordan Stall. Rest is history.

Reactions: Burgh15
Rutherford makes so many deals you hope one sticks.

You really hope to see Guentzel get healthy to return at some point during a deep playoff run. It'd be a very formidable lineup with him in there.

Ilya Kovalchuk for a 3rd

How many games would it have taken before Sully had Kovalchuk sitting in the press box for not playing D?

The trade that I envy is Boston getting Ondrej Kase. They basically traded what the Pens did for Zucker: 1st, D prospect, and an bad contract (Galchenyuk/Backes). I don't dislike getting Zucker, but Kase is 4 years younger and signed through next year at $2million less. Between the two I think he is the better player.

Rutherford makes so many deals you hope one sticks.

You really hope to see Guentzel get healthy to return at some point during a deep playoff run. It'd be a very formidable lineup with him in there.

I hope that the fact that they got Marleau AND Sheary isn't any indication of their chance of getting Guentzel back this Spring.

All I can add is Malkin should have a body double for fights or he might be another casualty
before its over.
He should get one of those kids chin straps so his helmut doesn't fall off.

He got his butt kicked last night. He fights like a "girl" closes
his eyes and attempts to hit anything in the area code.

Why on earth would any Penguins fan want Geno to fight at all? I want him to skate the hell away from that nonsense and let someone else deal with it — someone who can afford to break their hand in a scrum.

When Malkin and Crosby are healthy and playing well, Pittsburgh is damn tough to beat.

And obviously not Rikola lovers. LOL

Kingerski actually had a Pens source this deadline. Kahun didn't fit - right from the start. And they were hard after Marleau. That was the conversation last week. Also mentioned the staff loved Sheary.

I was a touch surprised they held onto Riikola...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT