ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Pittsburgh might host neutral site AFC title game

That would be good for the city. Why are Detroit and Indianapolis out?
Ford Field is getting a turf replacement immediately following the season. I’m unsure as to why Lucas Oil Stadium is being ruled out since that would appear to be the best option (equidistant, experienced at hosting events).

I was thinking about this from the very beginning. It makes sense because if Buffalo is in it, it would be in Damar’s hometown in a stadium he played in collegiately.

Because weather should play a factor in the game.
Pittsburgh is pretty much half way between Cincinnati and Buffalo.
Chances of it happening are anyone's guess.

Ford Field is getting a turf replacement immediately following the season.

It is hilarious that the Lions didn't even bother to wait until the potential for any home playoff games had passed to schedule the tearing up of their current turf. I imagine the conversation went something like this.

"OK, so the turf replacement company says they can start working on the project the middle of January."

"Wait, the middle of January? What if we make the playoffs and have a home game?"

"You must be the new guy around here."

It is hilarious that the Lions didn't even bother to wait until the potential for any home playoff games had passed to schedule the tearing up of their current turf. I imagine the conversation went something like this.

"OK, so the turf replacement company says they can start working on the project the middle of January."

"Wait, the middle of January? What if we make the playoffs and have a home game?"

"You must be the new guy around here."
Sad but true!

This has to be an income “BOOM” for the team that gets the neutral sight game!
Would’ve paid for Detroits new turf if they had waited a week.
Will be a good look for Heinz….er….Accrisure stadium, and the Burgh.

Reactions: cbpitt2
I think it’s more of a timing thing, they want the old turf out and new turf in before concerts and other events start up in the spring.

I doubt the Steelers would get much revenue out of it. Most would have to go to Bills/Chiefs for the lost home game.

Also, can someone explain the logic for a Bengals/Ravens coin flip instead of just having them play on a neutral field. I dont understand why their matchup would be treated differently than Bills/Chiefs

more like an unexpected boom for the town that gets it...Restaurants, hotels, hookers etc...

If it comes down to a neutral site, I just want to watch an outdoor game, particularly since the teams involved all play in outdoor stadiums. One of my least favorite things about college football is we watch games outdoors in college stadiums all season then the conference championship games are in domed NFL stadiums.

Reactions: jctrack
The NFL already had on the books that seeding was determined by winning percentage in the event of uneven games being played yed by teams. That was for just such a reason. Now they're making stuff up as they go along.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
The NFL already had on the books that seeding was determined by winning percentage in the event of uneven games being played yed by teams. That was for just such a reason. Now they're making stuff up as they go along.

They did but that was due to Covid. This was a once in a lifetime situation. The players basically opted to not play out of fear their teammate may have died on the field. You cant penalize them for not continuing.

Buffalo would have a big home field advantage if they play in Pittsburgh. I wonder if Chicago would be an option. It’s close to the same distance for both teams.

They did but that was due to Covid. This was a once in a lifetime situation. The players basically opted to not play out of fear their teammate may have died on the field. You cant penalize them for not continuing.
No it wasn’t
It was always the second tie breaker within division

Buffalo would have a big home field advantage if they play in Pittsburgh. I wonder if Chicago would be an option. It’s close to the same distance for both teams.
Moot point now -
It’s not like Kansas City is warm
Frankly it may be colder there than Buffalo

I'm not sure which rumor was better - this or the AFC adding an 8th seed. The game would be played in Atlanta.

Awful. A sterile location for this game if it comes to it. It should be played outdoors, but the NFL is probably doing a test run for future neutral site conference championship games.

They should have kept it outside and somewhere between those two cities so fans can drive. Like Chicago or Cleveland.

Last edited:
They should have kept it outside and somewhere between those two cities so fans can drive. Like Chicago or Cleveland.
Both of those cities would’ve had good shots if this happened about five years from now when they (likely) have new domed stadiums.

The turf might well have been pulled immediately up at Acrisure right after that final game, making it null and void as a destination

The turf might well have been pulled immediately up at Acrisure right after that final game, making it null and void as a destination

It wouldn't make any sense to tear up real grass in January. If they are going to replace the turf before any more events there, and I don't know that they are planning to do that, it would make a lot more sense to wait until spring.

Try getting a flight to Pittsburgh from Kansas City.
Logistics. It always comes down to logistics and Pittsburgh is in the logistical minor leagues.
No passenger rail, no direct roads and very little air traffic.

Try getting a flight to Pittsburgh from Kansas City.
Logistics. It always comes down to logistics and Pittsburgh is in the logistical minor leagues.
No passenger rail, no direct roads and very little air traffic.

To be fair, there is Amtrak and you can technically get there from Kansas City, but yeah, it sucks. We've disinvested from passenger tail to the point where it's not worth it for most locations.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT