ADVERTISEMENT

OT: razors and blades

Chairman Moe

All Conference
Nov 4, 2003
Just around the corner from Paradise
After year one of the pandemic, I started going all "Scott Van Pelt" up top as much of it was bald anyway. Over the past three years I have tried nearly every brand of razor I know of, and also an electric shaver. None have been great, and many end up producing nicks. I prefer a razor/blades as I can do it in the shower.

Has anyone here had good success with a particular brand and/or style? Thanks

Oh boy, do I have a product for you!
tac-shaver.png

After year one of the pandemic, I started going all "Scott Van Pelt" up top as much of it was bald anyway. Over the past three years I have tried nearly every brand of razor I know of, and also an electric shaver. None have been great, and many end up producing nicks. I prefer a razor/blades as I can do it in the shower.

I use The Art of Shaving products...check them out.

Been using Dorco for years. They supply the Dollar Save Club. A step below the high end Gillette razors but for the price, they are pretty good. You can purchase them on Amazon.

Much underrated subject! I used to pretty much use electric razors exclusively (I dont have the bald thing, but just for face) and about 10 years ago went to razors. I pretty much hate gillette and the 59 blade for 30 buck razor in which one of the blades goes bad like 2 shaves in and hurts the f outta ya and you suffer for a couple weeks cause you dont want to buy more. I now usually just do the Harry's with is much cheaper, and change blades out every 3-5 shaves.

I have shaved my head since early 90’s. I use Gillette pro glide.
The best update I did was buy Jack Black shaving cream. I get a large jar, apply by hand, and it’s a great shave.
Like $25 ish a jar. Lasts me a year. It was a big improvement for me.
It’s on Amazon. Or better mens stores.

Reactions: Chairman Moe
I have shaved my head since early 90’s. I use Gillette pro glide.
The best update I did was buy Jack Black shaving cream. I get a large jar, apply by hand, and it’s a great shave.
Like $25 ish a jar. Lasts me a year. It was a big improvement for me.
It’s on Amazon. Or better mens stores.
Don't shave my head, but I'll second the Gillette Pro Glide. Best razors for me.

Might have to give that Jack Black a try. Thanks for the tip.

Reactions: Pitt1975
Don't shave my head, but I'll second the Gillette Pro Glide. Best razors for me.

Might have to give that Jack Black a try. Thanks for the tip.
You will love it. They make other products too. Highly recommend. Might find a gift pack with a small container to see if you like it.
Lapels in Greensburg. Kevin the owner turned me on to it.

yes, any razor from the Dollar Tree....I dare ya.

Reactions: ratking17
Thanks guys - problem solved! I went with @303vND suggestion of Art of Shaving. Amazon had a deal for a jar of their shaving cream plus a nice bristle brush (40 for the pair). This made all the difference in the world. You'd think after 55 years of shaving I'd have figured it out by now! 🤪
Chair…they have nice products. I love them!

I have a jar of Jack Black coming today..
I just use my hands since I’m shaving my head too.
Never needed the brush, but glad you are happy with your decision.

I have a jar of Jack Black coming today..
I just use my hands since I’m shaving my head too.
Never needed the brush, but glad you are happy with your decision.
I'm going to try the Jack Black for comparison once the Art of Shaving jar is used up (2-3 months?). Your recommendation did not fall on deaf ears. I prefer using a brush and it was part of a good deal - thanks again

Reactions: Pitt1975

Not blades, but I did get get an excellent, albeit extended timed, pre-surgery shave from a nice fella named Sebastian one time. Very detailed and thorough even while whistling wake me up before you go go the whole time..

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
Bumping this topic again to ask: has anyone here ever heard of or tried the Supply brand of razors? They are a single-edge injector blade razor that I see advertised every so often. The handle is expensive (about 60) but the blades aren't. Not sure that I've ever used a single-edge before. Am concerned about using it on my "dome" but am willing to experiment ... TIA

I used razors for years, then switched to a Braun shaver maybe 25 years ago. They make a fine product, but the replacement foils and cutter bars are a racket. Several years ago I tried an Ali Express razor made by Surker. It's every bit as good as the Braun, and the replacement foils are a fraction of the price. The one that I'm currently using is from the Motawish store on Ali Express, although I'm not sure if that's the brand name. It's more powerful than any of the Brauns that I owned, has crazy good battery life, and shaves incredibly close for electric. The shaver and a replacement foil/cutter combined were something like $20-25. I don't have a heavy beard, so maybe this isn't for everybody, but I was truly shocked at how well these shavers performed for a song. I've also owned a well-reviewed Panasonic. These "cheap" shavers outperformed the best name brands.

I have no vested interest in Chinese direct commerce -- just sharing what I've found to be an incredible deal.

I haven’t bought a Gillette product since they went totally woke. Even today they have a douche bag commercial about their new system featuring a douchebag father and son with Boston accents. That’s where the company is headquartered. Total douchebag products and over priced. My go to is a schick handle and blade but I have some Harrys products also. I get 15-20 good shaves with the Harrys. My beard isn’t as tough as it used to be since I’m 68. I get 25 shaves with the Schick. You know when your blades are dull.

Now if I could just do something about the hair growing out of my ears.

• Haha
Reactions: jtownknowitall
I haven’t bought a Gillette product since they went totally woke. Even today they have a douche bag commercial about their new system featuring a douchebag father and son with Boston accents. That’s where the company is headquartered. Total douchebag products and over priced. My go to is a schick handle and blade but I have some Harrys products also. I get 15-20 good shaves with the Harrys. My beard isn’t as tough as it used to be since I’m 68. I get 25 shaves with the Schick. You know when your blades are dull.

Now if I could just do something about the hair growing out of my ears.
I will not use Gillette because I am a soulless Ginger...

Reactions: bayardstreet
Bumping this thread because it doesn’t require a separate one:

A game-changer I’ve made in my shaving routine is using a face moisturizer instead of traditional aftershave after I finish. For years, I’ve tried just about everything (regular aftershaves, alcohol, just cold water) and still wasn’t able to shake the post-shave irritation and redness. I switched to a CeraVe Facial Moisturizer Lotion and it’s the best my face has ever felt. Highly recommend trying it out, especially if you’re also a daily shaver.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT