ADVERTISEMENT

OT Rings of Power

PittPharm2002

Heisman Candidate
Dec 21, 2021
So what are folks thoughts so far .
I’m not the target audience since even the LOTR trilogy bores me a bit
My son is enjoying it (he’s rereading The Hobbit as a result )
And it’s visually really great .

Reactions: Patches_OHoulihan
Amazing visuals for sure. Definitely feels like they pushed for as large an audience as possible with the strange tonal shifts between the serious elves and orc hunts and the overacting lost boys village from Hook (hobbits) but I feel like they are going to emulate the movies and settle into one like the movies did after leaving the shire.

Some of it is great (the dwarf scenes), some of it is groan inducing (the hobbit scenes), most of it is ok.

Some of the performances are great (Doogie Elrond, dwarf wife, that CIA analyst from Homeland), some of them are terrible (Galadriel, Galadriel trying to show emotion, Galadriel fighting the frost troll), most of them are ok.

It's only 2 episodes in so far so can't really judge too much, but so far it's not great but it's not terrible. It does make me nervous that the lead's expressionless acting is the weakest part of the show so far.

Amazing visuals for sure. Definitely feels like they pushed for as large an audience as possible with the strange tonal shifts between the serious elves and orc hunts and the overacting lost boys village from Hook (hobbits) but I feel like they are going to emulate the movies and settle into one like the movies did after leaving the shire.

Some of it is great (the dwarf scenes), some of it is groan inducing (the hobbit scenes), most of it is ok.

Some of the performances are great (Doogie Elrond, dwarf wife, that CIA analyst from Homeland), some of them are terrible (Galadriel, Galadriel trying to show emotion, Galadriel fighting the frost troll), most of them are ok.

It's only 2 episodes in so far so can't really judge too much, but so far it's not great but it's not terrible. It does make me nervous that the lead's expressionless acting is the weakest part of the show so far.
Yeah the dwarf prince , the black elf, and the human mom and kid are the most compelling parts so far to my non -Tolkien self

Yeah the dwarf prince , the black elf, and the human mom and kid are the most compelling parts so far to my non -Tolkien self
Looking forward to sitting down and watching this. I’ve heard good things from good people.

I started watching it last night and enjoy it so far. I think it's cool to see the Elves as the preeminent power and an occupying force; also pointing out that Sauron had a ton of loyal humans on his side (in the LOTR movies, it's almost entirely Orcs and other demi-humans).

Really good visuals. The sets and costumes are top notch. Looking forward to the rest.

The writing on the show has been consistently bad, watching this airing alongside House of the Dragon just highlights this.

Well, so much to unravel here. Since the people who bought the rights to this do not have the rights to the Silmarillion, they must rely only on the Appendices at the end of Return of the King. That requires a significant amount of creative writing to fill in notions that Tolkien identified in the Appendices.

I have LOTR super fans in my family and they will get angry discussing the discrepancies in the Rings of Power and the complete lack of need for new characters who add nothing to the brilliant world of Tolkien.

I enjoy watching it because it mostly is the world of that age of Middle Earth but maybe sometimes you shouldn’t actually make a movie or series without the rights to actual materials.

You can ruin something by doing that. Pretty much, I think, most GOT fans have had that world ruined because of what Dumb and Dumber did to the last season of the show. At this point does anyone care what George writes to actually finish the series…if he ever does.

I'm enjoying it well enough, but agree it's a pretty big problem they don't have the rights to The Silmarillion. Honestly sometimes I wish I loved or hated it so I could either get more excited or just quit it, instead it's middling but I love Tolkien so I'll stay with it.

Reactions: Duneaux Harm
I was thinking this while watching Sunday. The series has been underwhelming for me but I’m fighting through it best I can. But this performance was very good.

I was thinking this while watching Sunday. The series has been underwhelming for me but I’m fighting through it best I can. But this performance was very good.

It is kind of sad that George RR Martin has been enticed by the very shiny aspect of television and has forgotten his roots.

I was pretty skeptical at first with House of Dragon, but the past two episodes feel like they could take their place among the top tier Game of Thrones episodes. But man it feels like Paddy was the heart of the show and definitely going to miss his character. I could do without any of the other actors, but he was phenomenal.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I was pretty skeptical at first with House of Dragon, but the past two episodes feel like they could take their place among the top tier Game of Thrones episodes. But man it feels like Paddy was the heart of the show and definitely going to miss his character. I could do without any of the other actors, but he was phenomenal.
It has a lot of problems for me. First and foremost is that it’s so damn confusing with all this incest and all of these kids central to the story moving forward. I don’t have the bandwidth to go online after each episode and study the Targaryen family tree. But it appears to be getting more interesting.

It has a lot of problems for me. First and foremost is that it’s so damn confusing with all this incest and all of these kids central to the story moving forward. I don’t have the bandwidth to go online after each episode and study the Targaryen family tree. But it appears to be getting more interesting.
Yeah, the time jumps certainly didn't help with that. Especially keeping track of the ages of the children, I had thought that eyepatch was the youngest of the boys but now he looks like the oldest (even though in reality he's 6-7 years younger than the actor playing his older brother Aegon).

Why has this rings of power thread become a house of dragons one?
I start enough nerdy threads so I searched a thread that already mentioned LOTR and posted a reply within that same thread instead of starting a new one.

Why has this rings of power thread become a house of dragons one?
It might also be that no one else is watching ROP. I watched 2 episodes and wasn’t feeling it so I just haven’t been able to resume watching. In addition to the GOT series, I’ve watched all the Andor episodes too and think it’s decent.

Andor is the first of the Star Wars series I've liked. It remembered the rebels are terrorists
Andor is very different than anything done before in Star Wars. Thus far, it has been an absolutely straight, not-dumbed-down-for-kids, character and bank-job drama going for as much realism as one can squeeze out of such a sci-fi universe. Lacks some levity that is typically interwoven with traditional Star Wars media. Thus far, there isn't even really a K-2SO character that Rogue One used to spew one-liners in order to break up the tension.

But, IMO, through the first half of the season, it is the tighest, best written SW product that has been put out by Disney, and in that way, honors the original trilogies more profoundly than Abrams trilogy, Obi Wan, or Boba Fett did. It is the Star Wars product for adults who grew up with Star Wars but now cringe when unnecessary and purely goof ball characters like Peli Motto (following in the best Jar Jar tradition) get thrown into a story line. Being set in the Star Wars universe is just sort of incidental to Andor, and it doesn't rely on that at all to carry it. It isn't the most fun you'll have in the Star Wars universe, but it may be the story that pisses original Star Wars fans off the least.

As far as other franchises, I'm finding watching the Rings of Power more laborious than enjoyable. And Cobra Kai season 5 is still fun but may have jumped the shark with its ridiculous conclusion...its ability to masterfully walk the fine line of not taking itself seriously but somehow still respecting the source material by not plunging completely into the absurd may have swerved off course.

Last edited:
Andor is very different than anything done before in Star Wars. Thus far, it has been an absolutely straight, not-dumbed-down-for-kids, character and bank-job drama going for as much realism as one can squeeze out of such a sci-fi universe. Lacks some levity that is typically interwoven with traditional Star Wars media. Thus far, there isn't even really a K-2SO character that Rogue One used to spew one-liners in order to break up the tension.

But, IMO, through the first half of the season, it is the tighest, best written SW product that has been put out by Disney, and in that way, honors the original trilogies more profoundly than Abrams trilogy, Obi Wan, or Boba Fett did. It is the Star Wars product for adults who grew up with Star Wars but now cringe when unnecessary and purely goof ball characters like Peli Motto (following in the best Jar Jar tradition) get thrown into a story line. Being set in the Star Wars universe is just sort of incidental to Andor, and it doesn't rely on that at all to carry it. It isn't the most fun you'll have in the Star Wars universe, but it may be the story that pisses original Star Wars fans off the least.

As far as other franchises, I'm finding watching the Rings of Power more laborious than enjoyable. And Cobra Kai season 5 is still fun but may have jumped the shark with its ridiculous conclusion...its ability to masterfully walk the fine line of not taking itself seriously but somehow still respecting the source material by not plunging completely into the absurd may have swerved off course.
I’ll say this about Andor. I find myself wondering as I’m watching how the kiddos feel about it. I suspect they checked out of it several episodes ago.

and while I’m enjoying it, I do think that maybe I’m grading on a curve because all of the other Disney Star Wars stuff hasn’t been good. If this were a show with the same plot line and it wasn’t a Star Wars product, I might have checked out of it. I really don’t find any of the characters interesting, outside of Andor himself. And I liked the potential arc of that empire boss on that base that the rebels raided…but I guess he won’t be a part of the show moving forward.

I’ll say this about Andor. I find myself wondering as I’m watching how the kiddos feel about it. I suspect they checked out of it several episodes ago.

and while I’m enjoying it, I do think that maybe I’m grading on a curve because all of the other Disney Star Wars stuff hasn’t been good. If this were a show with the same plot line and it wasn’t a Star Wars product, I might have checked out of it. I really don’t find any of the characters interesting, outside of Andor himself. And I liked the potential arc of that empire boss on that base that the rebels raided…but I guess he won’t be a part of the show moving forward.
For any of the Star Wars shows, if not Star Wars but with the same plot line, I wouldn't have watched. Star Wars is the only reason I've watched any of them, and I imagine that is true for 90% of their audiences.

If the Mandalorian was about some generic space bounty hunter with some baby creature that wasn't a yoda set in some non-franchise universe, no one would be watching it either. Firefly may have been one of the best sci fi series ever put out on tv, and no one watched it because it wasn't part of an existing franchise.

Andor....take out any Star Wars references, and it still might work as a show about a heist or rebellion against evil oppressors. Maybe. I don't know if I would have kept watching in the once per week format because it seems to be much more of a slow build, but maybe being able to binge episodes all at once it would have worked. It really maybe was suited for more of a movie format. We'll see what the second half of the season brings.

Last edited:
Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Fwiw there seems to be a majority opinion that Rings of Power gets better by the time the season ends. I agree. But it's still not totally gripping me even when it's very pretty by even prestige TV standards. People expect shows to take off right away now, I remember back when Star Trek TNG took like 60 episodes before it started to get really good. The first two seasons of Seinfeld are mostly quite below seasons 3-6.

Fwiw there seems to be a majority opinion that Rings of Power gets better by the time the season ends. I agree. But it's still not totally gripping me even when it's very pretty by even prestige TV standards. People expect shows to take off right away now, I remember back when Star Trek TNG took like 60 episodes before it started to get really good. The first two seasons of Seinfeld are mostly quite below seasons 3-6.
An incredible number of story lines in the beginning. I did enjoy the finale and hope they relegate some story lines to the dumpster. It will be interesting to see the Stranger become Gandalf. What ramifications will Galadriel suffer after it is found out she helped Sauron.

Checked out of ROP after first episode and haven't cared to go back. Just boring, cardboard characters in a pretty setting.

HoD kept me until the time jump. Sure, if you watched GoT you know Rhaynera's fate but I wanted to see the schism grow a bit more before the kids influential part.

Andor, just started it and I'm enjoying it. Something about admitting the Rebels weren't squeaky clean appeals to me.

An incredible number of story lines in the beginning. I did enjoy the finale and hope they relegate some story lines to the dumpster. It will be interesting to see the Stranger become Gandalf. What ramifications will Galadriel suffer after it is found out she helped Sauron.
Well thanks for spoiling. ;). Actually I’m of the mindset that if I don’t watch something when it first comes out, then it’s on me. I couldn’t get beyond episode 2 but have full intention of getting to the rest of the episodes at some point. It was just very underwhelming. My 81 year old father finished it last night and really liked it though. I value his opinion because he can usually sniff out crap when he smells it.

the other current show that I watched a few episodes of is She Hulk. My Dad couldn’t get beyond episode 2. I made it to episode 4…then gave up on it with no intention of going back. Gawd awful.

Checked out of ROP after first episode and haven't cared to go back. Just boring, cardboard characters in a pretty setting.

HoD kept me until the time jump. Sure, if you watched GoT you know Rhaynera's fate but I wanted to see the schism grow a bit more before the kids influential part.

Andor, just started it and I'm enjoying it. Something about admitting the Rebels weren't squeaky clean appeals to me.
HOD actually got a bit better after the time jump. Then there was another time jump and it got a bit better after that too. The last episode that finally set this whole thing up was pretty good. The upcoming war is based on a lot of hate, but the plot moving forward is set in motion by a big misunderstanding. I’m not a fan of that…I’ve seen enough of that in every episode of Three’s Company growing up. Martin said it’s going to take 4 seasons to tell the whole story.

SPOILERS IN THIS LINKED ARTICLE. But also a comparison of Tolkien’s writing to the episodes.

SPOILERS FOR RINGS OF POWER
Great article. Thanks for sharing.
Yeah. Streaming has made it so that shows have no time to grow and evolve. A shame, really.

Great article. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah. Streaming has made it so that shows have no time to grow and evolve. A shame, really.
I used to think that until the wife and I started watching a series that was week to week. I found myself not caring and hardly even knew that the show was on a certain night to watch it. With streaming I can choose to watch it and catch the next episode or two to get a better feel of what is going on or just stop altogether.

Reactions: Ski11585
Firefly may have been one of the best sci fi series ever put out on tv, and no one watched it because it wasn't part of an existing franchise.
No one watched Firefly because Fox gave it the timeslot equivalent of a suicide, aired it out of order, and pushed it for playoff baseball multiple times. It wasn't a show that took years to become a cult classic, they started movie production less than a year after they cancelled the show.

Reactions: buckage
HOD actually got a bit better after the time jump. Then there was another time jump and it got a bit better after that too. The last episode that finally set this whole thing up was pretty good. The upcoming war is based on a lot of hate, but the plot moving forward is set in motion by a big misunderstanding. I’m not a fan of that…I’ve seen enough of that in every episode of Three’s Company growing up. Martin said it’s going to take 4 seasons to tell the whole story.
More than fair.

I've read Fire and Blood and was hoping for more gap filling. Seems like they're just going point-to-point

No one watched Firefly because Fox gave it the timeslot equivalent of a suicide, aired it out of order, and pushed it for playoff baseball multiple times. It wasn't a show that took years to become a cult classic, they started movie production less than a year after they cancelled the show.
So basically how the idiots at Fox handled Arrested Development.

Not disagreeing, but set Firely in the Star Wars universe, which it easily could have been, and it would have received prime timeslots and ran for 8 seasons and spawned 3 movies because it would have had a mega audience built in out of the gate.

Episode 9 and 10 of House of Dragon were very good. I am not sure how I made it through 8 episodes to finally get to the good stuff. But it’s darn good.

and now it’s over until next season.

Episode 9 and 10 of House of Dragon were very good. I am not sure how I made it through 8 episodes to finally get to the good stuff. But it’s darn good.

and now it’s over until next season.
yeah, I feel like they rushed through those time jumps anticipating that it would be too slow to try and regain a pissed audience with their new series if they took their time with it.

Some sloppy stuff but I certainly enjoyed it more than the final two seasons of the original and certainly more than this thread's topic. Shame we likely have to wait until mid 2024 for season 2 because they didn't have faith in season 1.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT