ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers Day after

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
First off, the win feels good. But…

If Chubb stays in that game, they lose. It’s pretty simple right? The strength of this team is the edge rushers, and if you have a strong running game, that’s the formula to beat this team. Of course the 49ers thrashed this defense last week other ways, but the easiest way is to take the ball out of the QBs hands if you have a good running back.

TJ Watt vs Miles Garrett- still can’t believe people put these two guys in the same discussion. Miles Garrett had one tackle and one QB hit last night. There is no comparison between these two players. The only thing that holds TJ back is injuries. Otherwise I don’t think any reasonable person anywhere would put these two guys in the same category. But people do.

Kenny….what can I say? He doesn’t look like Kenny. He doesn’t have that moxy. That’s what makes Kenny Kenny and he doesn’t have it. Why? Is it the lack of a run game that always has them 3rd and long? Is it the OL? The OC? Should he be better himself? Yes he missed some throws but most QBs do in most games. But I see drives stalling because of backs not picking up blitzes, ill-timed jet sweeps to the short side of the field, false starts and dropped passes. He was 18-30 for 222. If he was 21-30 for 240, would the narrative be different today? Because he’s getting ripped for being terrible last night.

Kenny had exactly one play I saw where he was able to step up in pocket and it was a very nice pick up for Pickens

Every play looks rushed or breaking down too quickly… the fact we couldn’t develop any real run game tells me the line isn’t opening up holes for the backs either. No runs really happened at all until 3+ hours into the game

The line has to step up.

I’m sure local media heads will have some other version of events because like Comin Dunlap on Twitter they’ll drive up the controversy first #1…

Reactions: Cavalier Panther
I expected this team to look better but maybe have a worse record. We really padded wins against a bunch of terrible teams and backup quarterbacks at the end of last season. Obviously the preseason got us all ahead of our skiis.

But I'm really not seeing the improvement I expected along the offensive line. And the defense, while it created some nice havoc plays yesterday, hardly seems like a shutdown unit. We're struggling against the run, which cannot happen in this defense. And I saw a lot of passes down the sideline that Cleveland's receivers should have probably gotten both feet down and caught.

Still can't defend Pickett, though. He doesn't have elite talent, so his reads and accuracy need to be on point. I realize he's not throwing to wide open guys like Purdy was, but he needs to hit a lot more of these easy passes. He has also had multiple would-be Interceptions in his own territory dropped.

RG3 mentioned that they're only giving him half-field reads and the defenses are adjusting to that and making it difficult. That may be. But, again, he needs to hit a lot more of the passes that *are* there.

We need to keep getting better and hit on a receiver in the first round next season, in my opinion. The guys we have now take the top off less than an Amish nun. And we better hope Jones develops and sign a new center, also. Then I'm going CB in the second.

Last edited:
I am pretty curious about next game against Raiders. Vegas looked really bad against Bills after their first scoring drive. So this is a team that we should do well against. If we don’t that is more of a problem than the difficulties of play in the first two games.

I expected this team to look better but maybe have a worse record. We really padded wins against a bunch of terrible teams and backup quarterbacks at the end of last season. Obviously the preseason got us all ahead of our skiis.

But I'm really not seeing the improvement I expected along the offensive line. And the defense, while it created some nice havoc plays yesterday, hardly seems like a shutdown unit. We're struggling against the run, which cannot happen in this defense. And I saw a lot of passes down the sideline that Cleveland's receivers should have probably gotten both feet down and caught.

Still can't defend Pickett, though. He doesn't have elite talent, so his reads and accuracy need to be on point. I realize he's not throwing to wide open guys like Purdy was, but he needs to hit a lot more of these easy passes. He has also had multiple would-be Interceptions in his own territory dropped.

RG3 mentioned that they're only giving him half-field reads and the defenses are adjusting to that and making it difficult. That may be. But, again, he needs to hit a lot more of the passes that *are* there.

We need to keep getting better and hit on a receiver in the first round next season, in my opinion. The guys we have now take the top off less than an Amish nun. And we better hope Jones develops and sign a new center, also. Then I'm going CB in the second.
Need to make an OC change in the bye week. Maybe that’s a bad take by me, but I’ve had that week circled since the schedule came out.

Kenny had exactly one play I saw where he was able to step up in pocket and it was a very nice pick up for Pickens

Every play looks rushed or breaking down too quickly… the fact we couldn’t develop any real run game tells me the line isn’t opening up holes for the backs either. No runs really happened at all until 3+ hours into the game

The line has to step up.

I’m sure local media heads will have some other version of events because like Comin Dunlap on Twitter they’ll drive up the controversy first #1…
Listening to the radio now, and even Dorin is talking about how bad Kenny was.

Maybe I’m a Kenny homer, but I feel like there needs to be an asterisk added to every Kenny discussion because there’s so much going on around him that isn’t right. But then again, I was defending Rudolph for the same reasons. So maybe I’m not a homer? I dunno.

Bottom line for me is if you draft a 1st round QB, that’s your perceived franchise QB for the next decade+, and it’s malpractice putting his development and the franchises future in the hands of the worst OC in football.

Reactions: 303vND
I wouldn’t be surprised if the Browns have Jonathan Taylor the next time the Steelers face them. Watson’s cap hit goes from $19M this year to $60M+ next year… they’re all-in on 2023. They have the cap space to make it work, too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the Browns have Jonathan Taylor the next time the Steelers face them. Watson’s cap hit goes from $19M this year to $60M+ next year… they’re all-in on 2023. They have the cap space to make it work, too.
Watson made some really good throws but our pass rush was too much. But yeah, they aren’t built to win anything this year as currently constructed without Chubb. Could you imagine if he didn’t have Cooper last night? And that was a game day decision.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Watson made some really good throws but our pass rush was too much. But yeah, they aren’t built to win anything this year as currently constructed without Chubb. Could you imagine if he didn’t have Cooper last night? And that was a game day decision.
The best part for me is that while Watson has struggled thus far, Mayfield has the Buccaneers 2-0. They deserve everything they get.

Pickett hasn't been great but...there are a lot of buts.

Najee is a bust. "How is Warren able to get yards and Najee can't?" Easy, Najee isn't hitting the holes. Missed a cutback in a pretty key situation last night. Wasn't going for a TD. Maybe 5 yards but that's much better than running into traffic.

There isn't a full-time playmaker at WR. Pickens has moments but he also quit on an inside route last night. You can hold Purdy up and what he did week one but he also had some guys catch some tough balls. Watson even got a couple of nice plays out of Cooper last night. Haven't seen anyone make that tough catch for the Steelers yet.

OL is awful. Is there really a good reason why Broderick Jones isn't in there? You can't tell me either tackle is better. You have three undrafted FA's starting and nobody is doing much. Especially in pass pro.

Canada is a mess. There were times when KP only had two or three receivers running routes. Where are the TE's? Why are they even on the roster? Also just love how the jet sweep shows up when nothing else is working, as if that's going to help. The third down call with the fake jet sweep was a masterpiece of stupidity.

Pickett hasn't been great but who on that offense has? Oh, yeah. Harvin had a great game.

If Chubb stays in that game, they lose. It’s pretty simple right? The strength of this team is the edge rushers, and if you have a strong running game, that’s the formula to beat this team. Of course the 49ers thrashed this defense last week other ways, but the easiest way is to take the ball out of the QBs hands if you have a good running back.

TJ Watt vs Miles Garrett- still can’t believe people put these two guys in the same discussion. Miles Garrett had one tackle and one QB hit last night. There is no comparison between these two players. The only thing that holds TJ back is injuries. Otherwise I don’t think any reasonable person anywhere would put these two guys in the same category. But people do.

Kenny….what can I say? He doesn’t look like Kenny. He doesn’t have that moxy. That’s what makes Kenny Kenny and he doesn’t have it. Why? Is it the lack of a run game that always has them 3rd and long? Is it the OL? The OC? Should he be better himself? Yes he missed some throws but most QBs do in most games. But I see drives stalling because of backs not picking up blitzes, ill-timed jet sweeps to the short side of the field, false starts and dropped passes. He was 18-30 for 222. If he was 21-30 for 240, would the narrative be different today? Because he’s getting ripped for being terrible last night.
Ben….what can I say?...pretty much the same in this offense his last couple of years...btw, agreed on Warren, can someone please explain to me why he is not the feature back on this team?

What I’d like to know is why to the Steelers had a little success running the ball in the 4th quarter? I don’t think there were holes in the 1st quarter even if Warren was in there.

Back to the 4th quarter. The Steelers strung together some runs. The oline was staring to assert themselves. The ball was moving. And then boom! Canada calls a jet sweep to the short side of the field, it goes for a loss, and the drive stalled. Dude can’t help himself. He has to get cute and run that play. That Browns defense was giving the Steelers 5-6 yards a pop at that point. Take what the opponent is giving you.

Reactions: PittPoker
What I’d like to know is why to the Steelers had a little success running the ball in the 4th quarter? I don’t think there were holes in the 1st quarter even if Warren was in there.

Back to the 4th quarter. The Steelers strung together some runs. The oline was staring to assert themselves. The ball was moving. And then boom! Canada calls a jet sweep to the short side of the field, it goes for a loss, and the drive stalled. Dude can’t help himself. He has to get cute and run that play. That Browns defense was giving the Steelers 5-6 yards a pop at that point. Take what the opponent is giving you.
The OL was putrid. I posted this last night but often times not only was there no push, they were being driven back. Khan was given credit in the off-season for retooling the OL, but appears to be a tad premature.

what's crazy is it looks like lamar jackson is the only competent qb in the afc north. wouldnt have predicted that a few weeks ago.. Burrow is battling injuries so i expect him to be better when healthy but pickett and watson are both really bad.

i cant imagine what browns fans are thinking with being hamstrung with that guaranteed contract for watson.. ouch..

what's crazy is it looks like lamar jackson is the only competent qb in the afc north. wouldnt have predicted that a few weeks ago.. Burrow is battling injuries so i expect him to be better when healthy but pickett and watson are both really bad.

i cant imagine what browns fans are thinking with being hamstrung with that guaranteed contract for watson.. ouch..

If Burrow played QB for the Steelers, I don't think he would look very good, either.

I am pretty curious about next game against Raiders. Vegas looked really bad against Bills after their first scoring drive. So this is a team that we should do well against. If we don’t that is more of a problem than the difficulties of play in the first two games.

Yeah, but it's hard to predict. We got handled by a team that, in week two, struggled with a team that was supposed to be awful. The Browns throttled a team that was supposed to be a Super Bowl contender. If anything, I assume Vegas is going to come out trying to rectify last week's debacle.

Reactions: MorningCoffee13
It's so hard to get a fair assessment on Pickett in this town, because you have Pitt, WVU, and Penn State fans all looking at it through the lens of their respective collegiate allegiances. It's why I was kind of hoping the Saints took him.
there isnt a bigger kenny pickett homer fan on this planet more than me. but he has looked awful this year, made terrible throws, missed wide open receivers, his accuracy on short passes is off and he's trying to compensate it by throwing it 150 mph..

just looks horrible. should have had another interception last night when he thew it right to the defender in the 2nd half..

yes canada is awful, najee is basically irrelevant behind this OL, bad play calling and dionte out hurts them. Rbs not picking up blitzers and bad pass blocking. all valid excuses but that doesnt fully explain the horrid play from Kenny. but unlike Jurk, he has the talent to turn it around, season is still a puppy and we are 1-1 in what loooks to be a pretty mediocre division..

there isnt a bigger kenny pickett homer fan on this planet more than me. but he has looked awful this year, made terrible throws, missed wide open receivers, his accuracy on short passes is off and he's trying to compensate it by throwing it 150 mph..

just looks horrible. should have had another interception last night when he thew it right to the defender in the 2nd half..

yes canada is awful, najee is basically irrelevant behind this OL, bad play calling and dionte out hurts them. all valid excuses but that doesnt validate the horrid play from Kenny. but unlike Jurk, he has the talent to turn it around, season is still a puppy and we are 1-1 in what loooks to be a pretty mediocre division..

That's been my thing. If you can't make the special plays, you have to consistently hit the much less heroic ones. Ben could airmail an easy pass here and there, but then he could buy time on the next play and hit a 50-yarder. That isn't Kenny's game. It has to be death by a thousand cuts. And he's just not making consistent/accurate reads or throws.

we need to figure out some kind of deep game or are running game isnt going to improve. 8-9 guys on the line to stop the run and who can blame them..

i know it's harder than just saying "throw it deep to make them keep the safeties back" but we have to do something. maybe with pickens getting a few deeper balls connected, that gives opposing defenses something else to think about..

i dont think naj is good but i dont think he's this bad either. just need to get some blocking up front from him and 5 OL and a tight end cant block 9 defenders..

i know that 3rd and 1 play looked bad but i actually liked the call, just terrible execution. they were trying to get kenny out wide to run it. again, i like the idea there, of course it was blown up by the DE and muth missing a block but that play, and plays like that, will work.

Got to use Kenny's athleticism from time to time.

yes canada is awful, najee is basically irrelevant behind this OL, bad play calling and dionte out hurts them. Rbs not picking up blitzers and bad pass blocking. all valid excuses but that doesnt fully explain the horrid play from Kenny. but unlike Jurk, he has the talent to turn it around, season is still a puppy and we are 1-1 in what loooks to be a pretty mediocre division..
I’ll agree with you 100%. Yeah, there are a lot of problems with this offense other than just KP but I don’t see how any Pitt fan can’t at least admit he hasn’t been playing all that great and there’s a good bit of room for improvement on his part as well as OL, OC, receivers, etc.

But most importantly, we’re only 2 games into a long 16-game season, there will be ups n downs from week to week depending on who the opponent is but hopefully some sustained improvement. OL started out this bad last year as well but improved significantly over the course of the year.

I’ll agree with you 100%. Yeah, there are a lot of problems with this offense other than just KP but I don’t see how any Pitt fan can’t at least admit he hasn’t been playing all that great and there’s a good bit of room for improvement on his part as well as OL, OC, receivers, etc.

But most importantly, we’re only 2 games into a long 16-game season, there will be ups n downs from week to week depending on who the opponent is but hopefully some sustained improvement. OL started out this bad last year as well but improved significantly over the course of the year.
hate to be "that guy" but 17 game season.

sorry, just had too. but yes, agree with everything else..

kind of liking the idea that browns are 1-1 and look bad at qb, cincy is 0-2 with an injured Burrow. Ravens look much better than expected though..

we need to figure out some kind of deep game or are running game isnt going to improve. 8-9 guys on the line to stop the run and who can blame them..

i know it's harder than just saying "throw it deep to make them keep the safeties back" but we have to do something. maybe with pickens getting a few deeper balls connected, that gives opposing defenses something else to think about..

i dont think naj is good but i dont think he's this bad either. just need to get some blocking up front from him and 5 OL and a tight end cant block 9 defenders..

I agree, but that's another thing with Kenny - like, how deep does the defense have to respect him at? I watched Ben zip 25 yard outs from the opposite hashmark like it was nothing. But when he lost his arm strength, defenses were just packing it in. Anything he hit deep was just a lob that was thrown early in the route and probably only traveling 40 yards in the air. When you don't have the raw arm talent, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, because it's that much harder to open it up.

We didn’t take one shot down the field last night, did we? I can’t imagine that was by design. Kenny not taking the shots?

As far as Kenny missing throws…I bet you can point to every QB every week and say that about any teams QB. We just happen to dissect every single play for the Steelers. Yes he threw a bad pick. Yes there could have been another. And yes he missed a few others. But there were also 3 or so drops. At the end of the day, he should have been 22/30 for 240 yards. Not a great performance obviously. But not bad either.

I agree, but that's another thing with Kenny - like, how deep does the defense have to respect him at? I watched Ben zip 25 yard outs from the opposite hashmark like it was nothing. But when he lost his arm strength, defenses were just packing it in. Anything he hit deep was just a lob that was thrown early in the route and probably only traveling 40 yards in the air. When you don't have the raw arm talent, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, because it's that much harder to open it up.
Ugh. That’s a reasonable point.

Losing Heyward is a big hole. Chubb is very very good but it’s hard to imagine the line getting gashed time after time with little Ironhead in there.

I agree, but that's another thing with Kenny - like, how deep does the defense have to respect him at? I watched Ben zip 25 yard outs from the opposite hashmark like it was nothing. But when he lost his arm strength, defenses were just packing it in. Anything he hit deep was just a lob that was probably only traveling 40 yards in the air. When you don't have the raw arm talent, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, because it's that much harder to open it up.
i dont get the "arm strength" argument on kenny. HIs balls have plenty of zip. he can throw an "across the field" out pattern from the other hash on a frozen rope.

Maybe he cant do a Josh Allen deep ball 65 yards downfield while rolling to the right but not many players can and those are once in a blue moon completions..

going to disagree with you that his arm isnt as strong as 90% of the qbs in the league..

Reactions: lilspainishflea
hate to be "that guy" but 17 game season.

sorry, just had too. but yes, agree with everything else..

kind of liking the idea that browns are 1-1 and look bad at qb, cincy is 0-2 with an injured Burrow. Ravens look much better than expected though..
That’s too funny, as I was writing that I was thinking to myself is it a 16 game or 17 game season now. But it sure wasn’t worth the time to go confirm it first before posting.

i know that 3rd and 1 play looked bad but i actually liked the call, just terrible execution. they were trying to get kenny out wide to run it. again, i like the idea there, of course it was blown up by the DE and muth missing a block but that play, and plays like that, will work.

Got to use Kenny's athleticism from time to time.
Muth missed another block? That’s really becoming a common theme. I really liked the guy but it’s starting to appear like he’s not going to be the guy we thought he would be.

Reactions: PittPoker
We didn’t take one shot down the field last night, did we? I can’t imagine that was by design. Kenny not taking the shots?

As far as Kenny missing throws…I bet you can point to every QB every week and say that about any teams QB. We just happen to dissect every single play for the Steelers. Yes he threw a bad pick. Yes there could have been another. And yes he missed a few others. But there were also 3 or so drops. At the end of the day, he should have been 22/30 for 240 yards. Not a great performance obviously. But not bad either.
the missed slant to dionte in game one that was an easy touchdown was a bad pass. he had a few really bad passes to slants/quick-posts last night. the throw early in the 3rd where the guy just dropped an interception was inexcusable...

im fine with bad throws but very few good throws, then it's a problem. how many good plays did he have in two games? I'll give him the one that went 70 yards, he also had a nice throw to pickens for about 20 yards.. I think he threw a bullet into Austin's chest on a deep out. that's it, thats the "nice plays" i can recall in two weeks..

the missed slant to dionte in game one that was an easy touchdown was a bad pass. he had a few really bad passes to slants/quick-posts last night. the throw early in the 3rd where the guy just dropped an interception was inexcusable...

im fine with bad throws but very few good throws, then it's a problem. how many good plays did he have in two games? I'll give him the one that went 70 yards, he also had a nice throw to pickens for about 20 yards.. I think he threw a bullet into Austin's chest on a deep out. that's it, thats the "nice plays" i can recall in two weeks..
I’ve seen no one mention this, but I’ve watched that DJ missed slant a dozen times. It appeared to me that DJ deeked Kenny by giving the appearance of running a more shallow route and then went more vertical. It was subtle, but on a play like that, that’s all it takes because Kenny only missed the throw by a fraction, which is all it took.

Najee has 1st round physical talent and free agent running skills. Your 240lb RB can't come to a complete stop to play patty cake with defenders at the LOS. Dude has zero vision and is obsessed with stopping and starting.

He's mediocre at best and shouldn't be starting.

i dont get the "arm strength" argument on kenny. HIs balls have plenty of zip. he can throw an "across the field" out pattern from the other hash on a frozen rope.

Maybe he cant do a Josh Allen deep ball 65 yards downfield while rolling to the right but not many players can and those are once in a blue moon completions..

going to disagree with you that his arm isnt as strong as 90% of the qbs in the league..

You don't see a difference in velocity between these guys' throws? Sure, when Kenny steps into a throw and puts maximum effort into it, he can zing one. But look at even Kirk Cousins' highlights. The ball just travels farther and faster with much less effort expended. And other guys don't need perfect mechanics to make these throws. Kenny reminds me of the twilight years of some of those formerly-great quarterbacks.

Najee has 1st round physical talent and free agent running skills. Your 240lb RB can't come to a complete stop to play patty cake with defenders at the LOS. Dude has zero vision and is obsessed with stopping and starting.

He's mediocre at best and shouldn't be starting.
Leveon Bell was really good at that, Najee not so much. I’m sure the OL has something to do with it as well.

That’s too funny, as I was writing that I was thinking to myself is it a 16 game or 17 game season now. But it sure wasn’t worth the time to go confirm it first before posting.
He played 26 snaps. That’s almost half of the steeler total. What the hell am I watching? That’s probably what half the people reading my posts are asking too. Maybe I should let myself out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT