ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers Day after

Damn, with those two teams on the schedule, one could argue that now is the time to send Canada to Winnipeg. We should still win while adjusting to a new play caller.
That would show boldness and not stats quo. If Tomlin has ever cared to change what the perception of him has become … which I doubt, but perhaps … this move would do it.

That would show boldness and not stats quo. If Tomlin has ever cared to change what the perception of him has become … which I doubt, but perhaps … this move would do it.
He said the scheme wasn’t good enough last night. That’s the most critical I’ve heard him of Canada. So maybe just maybe he’s bending a bit.

But I’m going to take this another step further. I blame Rooney, Tomlin, Canada and Kenny. And probably in that order. But you know who else I blame? Sullivan the QB coach. Whose job is it to help Kenny with his pre snap reads? Remember this time last year we thought this was a quality of Kenny’s? Now it doesn’t appear that it is. The ball just seems to be going to the wrong places at times. Scheming players open is one thing, but recognizing matchups pre snap is another. And Kenny isn’t doing well enough there. So I’d go:

rooney
tomlin
Canada
Sullivan
Kenny.

In that order.

He said the scheme wasn’t good enough last night. That’s the most critical I’ve heard him of Canada. So maybe just maybe he’s bending a bit.

But I’m going to take this another step further. I blame Rooney, Tomlin, Canada and Kenny. And probably in that order. But you know who else I blame? Sullivan the QB coach. Whose job is it to help Kenny with his pre snap reads? Remember this time last year we thought this was a quality of Kenny’s? Now it doesn’t appear that it is. The ball just seems to be going to the wrong places at times. Scheming players open is one thing, but recognizing matchups pre snap is another. And Kenny isn’t doing well enough there. So I’d go:

rooney
tomlin
Canada
Sullivan
Kenny.

In that order.
The seventeen or so total plays they had Kenny run in the three preseason games against crappy opponents didn’t seem to be enough preparation after all …

I know, too risky n’at. But the guy needed four seasons to finally get comfortable with all these kind of things at Pitt. Simply, he still needs more work than an established NFL QB and certainly elite ones. And that’s only in hope he can further adjust; it may not be possible given his skill set. With understandable unwillingness to risk high priced players in the preseason, real game experience is the only way.

Last edited:

rooney
tomlin
Canada
Sullivan
Kenny.

In that order.
For everything you’re critiquing here, I don’t think Rooney belongs anywhere on your list.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
For everything you’re critiquing here, I don’t think Rooney belongs anywhere on your list.
Why not?? It starts with Rooney. He stepped in and pushed Arians out years ago. Why would he not step in here and tell Tomlin to make the change from a guy who has a large enough body of work for him and the football world to know that Matt Canada is not NFL worthy, let alone Steeler level. Rooney should hold his team to a higher level and he doesn’t. This type of track record and performance out of an OC would not have been tolerated anywhere else. and it certainly shouldn’t for a franchise that considers itself the keystone of the NFL.

Reactions: pittdan77
Why not?? It starts with Rooney. He stepped in and pushed Arians out years ago. Why would he not step in here and tell Tomlin to make the change from a guy who has a large enough body of work for him and the football world to know that Matt Canada is not NFL worthy, let alone Steeler level. Rooney should hold his team to a higher level and he doesn’t. This type of track record and performance out of an OC would not have been tolerated anywhere else. and it certainly shouldn’t for a franchise that considers itself the keystone of the NFL.
At some point, you have to look at your organization and ask critical questions about why you have a just barely better than mediocre coach who can't win playoff games and either figure out how to help him or move on. That's definitely on Rooney.

At some point, you have to look at your organization and ask critical questions about why you have a just barely better than mediocre coach who can't win playoff games and either figure out how to help him or move on. That's definitely on Rooney.
not a fan but he pretty much nails it here.

Reactions: clarks4life
ag
Watt doesn't play the run well at all. Will guarantee that's part of it.
agree but he rests alot and those rests are during traditional run plays. so im fine if that means a lower grade from a 3rd party rating service.. plus, we got better options like Nick H to stop the run while TJ rests up for 3rd downs..

not a fan but he pretty much nails it here.

I think that's just looking for a way to dig at the organization. If "loyalty" was really the issue, go at Rooney for keeping Tomlin but nobody is going to do that because "no losing seasons". Tomlin doesn't have loyalty to Canada as much as Tomlin can't ever admit he is wrong. He has always had that arrogance about him.

ag

agree but he rests alot and those rests are during traditional run plays. so im fine if that means a lower grade from a 3rd party rating service.. plus, we got better options like Nick H to stop the run while TJ rests up for 3rd downs..
Steelers have the worst average yards per carry against of any defense in the league. I'd prefer someone make a play or two.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I happen to agree that he has a role here. Rooney was very vocal, I believe he even did a lengthy interview with Pompeani when Ben left, that he didn’t want to continue with a modern pass-happy offense, that he wanted a conservative run-oriented offense more like they had in the initial Super Bowls.

Never mind the merit (or lack thereof) of his demand, he got actively involved to demand it, so he played a big role in the mess they have now.

• Love
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I think that's just looking for a way to dig at the organization. If "loyalty" was really the issue, go at Rooney for keeping Tomlin but nobody is going to do that because "no losing seasons". Tomlin doesn't have loyalty to Canada as much as Tomlin can't ever admit he is wrong. He has always had that arrogance about him.
I don’t listen to cowherd and don’t even know where to find him. But he slides into my timeline from time to time, and my impression is that he’s always respected the Steelers as an organization and its place in the lexicon of the game of football. So if it’s a dig, I take it as a statement based in reality and a mindset of they can and should do better.

I don’t listen to cowherd and don’t even know where to find him. But he slides into my timeline from time to time, and my impression is that he’s always respected the Steelers as an organization and its place in the lexicon of the game of football. So if it’s a dig, I take it as a statement based in reality and a mindset of they can and should do better.
cant say i can disagree with anything he said.

Colin Cowherd: "Pittsburgh's an excellent organization, but they're starting to become paralyzed. So into their brand. So into loyalty. This offense stinks. Nine completions, barely 21 minutes time of possession. Do you know the Steelers? This is embarrassing in 2023. What I'm about to tell you is embarrassing. They are the only NFL team that doesn't have a first down in the entire first quarter. They're averaging under 10 points a game."

I have no problem with saying the Steelers need to be better because they should be but it's kind of lazy to look at the situation and assume it's "loyalty" or just blaming the way the organization operates as why Canada is there. If that is true of Canada, it's doubly true of Tomlin because he's failed for many more years.

It feels like teams are just Narduzi'ing him, to be honest.

1) Stack the box
2) Play the run aggressively; if you see the back doesn't get the ball, continue your downhill path to the quarterback
3) Play tight on the receivers so as to not give the quarterback an easy outlet pass

As we've seen with Pitt, when the defense wins up front it makes for a long, frustrating day... and the QB is going to take some shots.

Or maybe they're just beating us that badly in the trenches and it only seems like they're stacking the box. I'm admittedly just assuming they are, given that it feels like it's 20 against 11.
The browns were definitely stacking the box.

I happen to agree that he has a role here. Rooney was very vocal, I believe he even did a lengthy interview with Pompeani when Ben left, that he didn’t want to continue with a modern pass-happy offense, that he wanted a conservative run-oriented offense more like they had in the initial Super Bowls.

Never mind the merit (or lack thereof) of his demand, he got actively involved to demand it, so he played a big role in the mess they have now.
I don't know how old Rooney is but wanting that is clearly dementia.

I don't know how old Rooney is but wanting that is clearly dementia.
It may or may not be that, but it clearly is out of touch with the NFL of today, and even the NFL of 30 years ago. He seems not to remember his own SB winning teams of 1978 and 1979 and how they won those.

But either way, he’s the owner, and has the name Rooney at that, so the GMs and coaches need to at least pay lip service to it.

They aren’t dumb, they know it is not a wise demand. So they’ve been trying, clumsily, to make it look like a conservative offense while sneaking in modern elements…and so often, half-assing two things merely makes an ass out of you™️

(I’ve trademarked this saying, so none of you try to rip it off…the royalty for use is a hefty donation to the Pitt Volleyball Rooftop Garden Fund)

i know that 3rd and 1 play looked bad but i actually liked the call, just terrible execution. they were trying to get kenny out wide to run it. again, i like the idea there, of course it was blown up by the DE and muth missing a block but that play, and plays like that, will work.

Got to use Kenny's athleticism from time to time.
Maybe but that was hardly the time to get cute but that‘s Oh Canada for you. Just line up in Power and get a yard and close out the game. They stop you then hats off and punt it away. Truly atrocious play calling in Pittsburgh right now on both sides of the house.

Hard to say what your stance is on this FK given your posts and other you liked. You want Rooney to step in and make football decisions but then you like every instance brought up where he supposedly dictated or influenced a bad football decision.

Sorry, can’t agree with you at all. Most NFL owners don’t have any large football experience and amount to nothing more than armchair QBs like everyone herein aside from their deep pockets.

Me, I want an NFL owner that knows how to hire the right GM and HC, has high goals/expectations w/r to results (something more than just no losing seasons) and provides his GM and HC with the resources to pursue those goals (unlike a Nutting). Otherwise, in no way, shape or form do I want an Owner that micromanages and dictates football-related decisions to his GM and HC.

Maybe but that was hardly the time to get cute but that‘s Oh Canada for you. Just line up in Power and get a yard and close out the game. They stop you then hats off and punt it away. Truly atrocious play calling in Pittsburgh right now on both sides of the house.
the few plays that are open, pickett is missing badly. yet another one that looked like an easy first down if he makes even an average throw.

just weird how many "Terrible" throws he's making..

Reactions: BigZeke
Hard to say what your stance is on this FK given your posts and other you liked. You want Rooney to step in and make football decisions but then you like every instance brought up where he supposedly dictated or influenced a bad football decision.

Sorry, can’t agree with you at all. Most NFL owners don’t have any large football experience and amount to nothing more than armchair QBs like everyone herein aside from their deep pockets.

Me, I want an NFL owner that knows how to hire the right GM and HC, has high goals/expectations w/r to results (something more than just no losing seasons) and provides his GM and HC with the resources to pursue those goals (unlike a Nutting). Otherwise, in no way, shape or form do I want an Owner that micromanages and dictates football-related decisions to his GM and HC.
Yeah. You’ve pointed out my hypocrisy that I failed to see on my own. Good points.

I agree his involvement led us to where we are now. But two things are obvious, he’s not going to replace the head coach and nor should he IMO. But his head coach is failing to realize that this staff as constructed is running the franchise into its longest dry spell since the 60’s. A change should be made for the benefit of the franchise.

And here’s a tangible reason Rooney might be part of the problem. It’s been said that the Rooney’s pay coordinators and coaches worse than any other franchise. If that’s the case, buck up and throw some dollars at your problem. Spending up to the cap is good, but not when you have coaches who can’t make the players better. You get what you pay for. Payroll and talent is a financial investment. And this is like putting 300 million a year into a portfolio and having a recent community college grad managing it for you.

I’m sure Rooney has better financial advisors managing his wealth. Anything less would be unacceptable to him. Why not for his on the field investment? It’s time for better coaches to manage his players.

Recall this. This is a bad throw he was making in every Pitt season up to 2021. He has regressed this season so far.
no he wasnt, stop it. he was decent to good. if he was anywhere near this bad in '18 and '19, we'd have been screaming for the backup..

i dont even acknowledge 2020, i've erased that whole year from my memory. probably out of shame for falling for the lies of having to wear a paper napkin over my face every time i left the house..

Yeah. You’ve pointed out my hypocrisy that I failed to see on my own. Good points.

I agree his involvement led us to where we are now. But two things are obvious, he’s not going to replace the head coach and nor should he IMO. But his head coach is failing to realize that this staff as constructed is running the franchise into its longest dry spell since the 60’s. A change should be made for the benefit of the franchise.

And here’s a tangible reason Rooney might be part of the problem. It’s been said that the Rooney’s pay coordinators and coaches worse than any other franchise. If that’s the case, buck up and throw some dollars at your problem. Spending up to the cap is good, but not when you have coaches who can’t make the players better. You get what you pay for. Payroll and talent is a financial investment. And this is like putting 300 million a year into a portfolio and having a recent community college grad managing it for you.

I’m sure Rooney has better financial advisors managing his wealth. Anything less would be unacceptable to him. Why not for his on the field investment? It’s time for better coaches to manage his players.
You both make outstanding points in this thread but the bottom line in this for the Steelers: Coach Loquacious wins just enough to keep the firing squad off his doorstep. Mike has assembled some of the worst coaching staffs in football the last 5-7 years. Name one coach on his staff anyone else wants? Not sure if that’s Rooney Lite aka Fredo being cheap or Mike not wanting anyone in house challenging his authority. Anyone w half a football brain and a pair of eyes can see that Matt Canada is overmatched as a NFL OC. Lastly the Steelers are mired smack dab in mediocrity. Get ready for perpetual 9-8 seasons and to hang your hat on Mike’s never had a losing season streak. Gotta do better when you’re a storied franchise like the Steelers.

You both make outstanding points in this thread but the bottom line in this for the Steelers: Coach Loquacious wins just enough to keep the firing squad off his doorstep. Mike has assembled some of the worst coaching staffs in football the last 5-7 years. Name one coach on his staff anyone else wants? Not sure if that’s Rooney Lite aka Fredo being cheap or Mike not wanting anyone in house challenging his authority. Anyone w half a football brain and a pair of eyes can see that Matt Canada is overmatched as a NFL OC. Lastly the Steelers are mired smack dab in mediocrity. Get ready for perpetual 9-8 seasons and to hang your hat on Mike’s never had a losing season streak. Gotta do better when you’re a storied franchise like the Steelers.
Man. Couldn’t have said it better. Well done Zeke.

I’ll add one very tiny nugget. His last OC is STILL unemployed and is not even desired by USFL or XFL teams. And when they don’t renew Canada’s contract next off season, who is going to want him?

If there is no improvement by the bye week, then a change HAS to be made. Yesterday I said that perhaps that’s a bad take, but actually now that I think about it, it’s not. There’s no way they renew him in the off season, can they? So if they wait til then, they will start next season with a brand new coordinator, which is less than ideal. Might as well start this season and improve over the last 11 weeks. They couldn’t be any worse. Unless they promote from within, which would be pointless.

Reactions: BigZeke
It may or may not be that, but it clearly is out of touch with the NFL of today, and even the NFL of 30 years ago. He seems not to remember his own SB winning teams of 1978 and 1979 and how they won those.

But either way, he’s the owner, and has the name Rooney at that, so the GMs and coaches need to at least pay lip service to it.

They aren’t dumb, they know it is not a wise demand. So they’ve been trying, clumsily, to make it look like a conservative offense while sneaking in modern elements…and so often, half-assing two things merely makes an ass out of you™️

(I’ve trademarked this saying, so none of you try to rip it off…the royalty for use is a hefty donation to the Pitt Volleyball Rooftop Garden Fund)
The 78-79 teams where ultra conservative by today's standards, they ran the ball 70% of the time. and yeah, trying to be old school on the surface and mixing in some modern elements surely is half ass.

And that's why ROONEY SUCKS! Every year he comes out and says we need to run the ball more because he's been masturbating over 1970s Super Bowl videos.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt and BigZeke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT