ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Steelers Day after

Don’t recall watching a Steeler win and being less optimistic for their prospects. Not since perhaps the last couple years of Noll.

The OL, Harris, DJohn, and Pickett have been bad. Pickett is in deep sh1t right now, and I’m not sure he’s capable to rise above it.

But at the core is a hopeless OC. It’s amazing to think that as bad as Cignetti has been, he’s been better for Pitt than Canada has for the Steelers. Last night saved him, but when they lose the next couple, I truly think they should consider dumping him right away. I don’t even know their other offensive coaches.

Can they coax the Bucs to give up Bruce Arians to come back just as temporary OC the rest of this season? Trade Harris and Johnson to TB for his rights. Win win win. 😁

Pickett hasn't been great but...there are a lot of buts.

Najee is a bust. "How is Warren able to get yards and Najee can't?" Easy, Najee isn't hitting the holes. Missed a cutback in a pretty key situation last night. Wasn't going for a TD. Maybe 5 yards but that's much better than running into traffic.

There isn't a full-time playmaker at WR. Pickens has moments but he also quit on an inside route last night. You can hold Purdy up and what he did week one but he also had some guys catch some tough balls. Watson even got a couple of nice plays out of Cooper last night. Haven't seen anyone make that tough catch for the Steelers yet.

OL is awful. Is there really a good reason why Broderick Jones isn't in there? You can't tell me either tackle is better. You have three undrafted FA's starting and nobody is doing much. Especially in pass pro.

Canada is a mess. There were times when KP only had two or three receivers running routes. Where are the TE's? Why are they even on the roster? Also just love how the jet sweep shows up when nothing else is working, as if that's going to help. The third down call with the fake jet sweep was a masterpiece of stupidity.

Pickett hasn't been great but who on that offense has? Oh, yeah. Harvin had a great game.
The most accurate take on Kenny & the Steelers … Well done…

Reactions: pittdan77
It's so hard to get a fair assessment on Pickett in this town, because you have Pitt, WVU, and Penn State fans all looking at it through the lens of their respective collegiate allegiances. It's why I was kind of hoping the Saints took him.
Same. It was fun and all with the draft hype when that happened, but it was going to be an even more frustrating slog here than it was with James Conner. He was going to be massacred by the media and non-Pitt yokel fans. We saw him and how slow it took him to develop at Pitt, and we should have known more than most he might not have it to succeed in the NFL. He isn’t going to be given four years to get there, either. Throw in a bad OL (Oks, oy vey), bust first round RB, mediocre receivers, TE that have disappeared, and prob the worst Oc in the league. It is painful to watch right now.

Don’t recall watching a Steeler win and being less optimistic for their prospects. Not since perhaps the last couple years of Noll.

The OL, Harris, DJohn, and Pickett have been bad. Pickett is in deep sh1t right now, and I’m not sure he’s capable to rise above it.

But at the core is a hopeless OC. It’s amazing to think that as bad as Cignetti has been, he’s been better for Pitt than Canada has for the Steelers. Last night saved him, but when they lose the next couple, I truly think they should consider dumping him right away. I don’t even know their other offensive coaches.

Can they coax the Bucs to give up Bruce Arians to come back just as temporary OC the rest of this season? Trade Harris and Johnson to TB for his rights. Win win win. 😁
Last night was a classic example as to why the Steelers win this Watt, and lose without him. It’s almost an exact science.

It’s pretty fair to believe they win one to two more games last year with him in the lineup.

Reactions: The Ole Six-Fiver
Same. It was fun and all with the draft hype when that happened, but it was going to be an even more frustrating slog here than it was with James Conner. He was going to be massacred by the media and non-Pitt yokel fans. We saw him and how slow it took him to develop, and we should have known more than most he might not have it. He isn’t going to be given four years to gain it, either. It is painful to watch right now.

Plus, while I'm not afraid to air my grievances among other Pitt fans, I find myself constantly defending him to non Pitt fans - kind of in an "I can talk about my mama, but you can't talk about my mama" sort of way. It adds a weird/annoying dynamic to all of this.

Plus, while I'm not afraid to air my grievances among other Pitt fans, I find myself constantly defending him to non Pitt fans - kind of in an "I can talk about my mama, but you can't talk about my mama" sort of way. It adds a weird/annoying dynamic to all of this.
I took the opposite tack there because I had watched and been frustrated by Pickett for three of his four seasons, and I was wary of the hype. He def had a great 21 but he had Addison, and a decent OL, and an OC he was in sync with (to the extreme of running to him every play!). I knew he’d have none of that with the Steelers. So I had serious doubts for him in the NFL.

So as all my neighbors (many PSU and WVU fans among them) were momentarily happy at the pick (a Heisman finalist QB at pick 20, sounds great, right?) and were happy for me, their freak Pitt fan among them (in the phony way most acquaintances are when they know your allegiance is different), I downplayed it. I saw what was most likely to happen.

Muth missed another block? That’s really becoming a common theme. I really liked the guy but it’s starting to appear like he’s not going to be the guy we thought he would be.
Did we ever think he was going to a be good blocker? Maybe the hope is that he would be serviceable as a blocker, but I don't think he ever had a rep as a good blocker. I always thought he was a pass catching first type TE.

Kenny looks confused and he's making some really dumb decisions. I think it's a comfort or confidence issue more than an arm issue. The OL isn't doing him or the RBs any favors either.

I'm not a change the coordinator every other game type, but I think Canada needs to go. Problem is, you can't really do it now. Who are you going to replace him with and what are they going to run? Their offensive staff is extremely weak. The QB coach is the only guy with any OC experience.

Kenny has been erratic and inaccurate, he needs to clean that up, accuracy was supposed to be his strength. yes, he's under extreme pass rush pressure, behind this O-line that's supposed to be improved, and they drafted an OT #1 who doesn't even play a down. and it's always 3rd and 10, because they can't run either, and why won't Kenny take off and run when under pressure? He's supposed to be mobile. Hopefully he will step up his game against lesser defenses. I wish FOR ONCE he'd throw 2 TDs in the same game. And maybe lead the team just once to 20+ offensive points.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
Kenny looks confused and he's making some really dumb decisions. I think it's a comfort or confidence issue more than an arm issue. The OL isn't doing him or the RBs any favors either.

I'm not a change the coordinator every other game type, but I think Canada needs to go. Problem is, you can't really do it now. Who are you going to replace him with and what are they going to run? Their offensive staff is extremely weak. The QB coach is the only guy with any OC experience.

Yeah, the best thing you can do now is call different plays. But it seems like we need a whole new system.

Did we ever think he was going to a be good blocker? Maybe the hope is that he would be serviceable as a blocker, but I don't think he ever had a rep as a good blocker. I always thought he was a pass catching first type TE.
He wasn’t a receiver last night, either. Don’t believe he was targeted? That is actually a surprise given Pickett was looking to him a little too much up to then. It’s hard to imagine Cleveland LB covering him was that effective. Or maybe Pickett just never had the time to check down that far and find him. Who knows. I think the guy is undersized and too slow to be elite at the position but he’s ok. Had high hopes for Washington too but with the abysmal offensive scheme, those seem fruitless.

But maybe it’s unfair to judge them or anyone else due to the OC. Unless some miracle happens or the defense scores two TD, Canada is done, and we all just have to ride out the ugly string I guess.

First off, the win feels good. But…

If Chubb stays in that game, they lose. It’s pretty simple right? The strength of this team is the edge rushers, and if you have a strong running game, that’s the formula to beat this team. Of course the 49ers thrashed this defense last week other ways, but the easiest way is to take the ball out of the QBs hands if you have a good running back.

TJ Watt vs Miles Garrett- still can’t believe people put these two guys in the same discussion. Miles Garrett had one tackle and one QB hit last night. There is no comparison between these two players. The only thing that holds TJ back is injuries. Otherwise I don’t think any reasonable person anywhere would put these two guys in the same category. But people do.

Kenny….what can I say? He doesn’t look like Kenny. He doesn’t have that moxy. That’s what makes Kenny Kenny and he doesn’t have it. Why? Is it the lack of a run game that always has them 3rd and long? Is it the OL? The OC? Should he be better himself? Yes he missed some throws but most QBs do in most games. But I see drives stalling because of backs not picking up blitzes, ill-timed jet sweeps to the short side of the field, false starts and dropped passes. He was 18-30 for 222. If he was 21-30 for 240, would the narrative be different today? Because he’s getting ripped for being terrible last night.
Chubb's replacement had over 100 yards I believe so I am not so sure about the Steelers losing if Chubb stays in. Watson still played. And Kenny didn't play well but it really seemed that he was under immediate pressure all night. Bottom line the game goes in the left column.

Kenny has been erratic and inaccurate, he needs to clean that up, accuracy was supposed to be his strength. yes, he's under extreme pass rush pressure, behind this O-line that's supposed to be improved, and they drafted an OT #1 who doesn't even play a down. and why won't Kenny take off and run when under pressure? He's supposed to be mobile. Hopefully he will step up his game against lesser defenses. I wish FOR ONCE he'd throw 2 TDs in the same game. And maybe lead the team just once to 20+ offensive points.
The thing is he was really only fairly accurate in one season with Pitt. I tend to accentuate the negative (don’t be shocked) but i still have minor PTSD from Pickett’s early seasons of constantly hitting open guys in the back of their heels with misplaced passes. Sometimes he looked, ugh, closer to Jurkovec than he did to an NFL prospect.

He obviously got much much better in 21, probably finally adjusting to the speed of college football (and having Jordan Addison and a hand holding QB-whisperer OC) but he’s never been dead on accurate every game. And never particularly dealt well with high pressure pass rush (he became completely unglued in that 52-6 loss to PSU for example).

Sigh. Just have to hope it settles down in the NFL for him faster than college because he’s not going to be given four years there.

Reactions: Schaef60
The thing is he was really only fairly accurate in one season with Pitt. I tend to accentuate the negative (don’t be shocked) but i still have minor PTSD from Pickett’s early seasons of constantly hitting open guys in the back of their heels with misplaced passes. Sometimes he looked, ugh, closer to Jurkovec than he did to an NFL prospect.

He got better in 21, probably finally adjusting to the speed of college football (and having Jordan Addison and a hand holding QB-whisperer OC) but he’s never been dead on accurate every game.

Sigh. Just have to hope it settles down in the NFL for him faster than college because he’s not going to be given four years there.
i think you give pickett one or two more games and maybe start thinking about Mitch again. pains me to say that too..

cant imagine the leash is too long for him

i think you give pickett one or two more games and maybe start thinking about Mitch again. pains me to say that too..

cant imagine the leash is too long for him

Once you start doing that, I think it's over. That stuff just never seems to turn out well, with few exceptions. I think you have to ride it out for the rest of the season and at least half of the next one... unless he gets dinged up and you can kind of exaggerate the injury.

Bruce Arians would be even worse. Let's have nothing but 7 step drops for an OL that gives up pressure every play and a QB with an average arm and a case of the yips. We'd lose every game 24-6 and Kenny would be dead in 3 weeks.

Kenny looks bad right now, there's no doubt about it. He's missing open throws and not seeing the field real well. On the other hand:

- our KR cost us 30 yards in field position on our first possession
- our OT had false starts that led to 3rd and longs in back to back first half possessions
- our running game averaged 2.6 yards per carry and delivered 150 fewer rushing yards than the Browns's
- our OL gave up pressure all game

And yet, we're still 1-0 in the division and the next two games are against teams that are 1-3 and they're averaging 76% completions and 6.5 yards per attempt. The sledding SHOULD get a lot easier. The Raiders and the Texans are the types of teams that KP handled pretty effectively last year.

His accuracy is correctable. He was one of the most accurate QBs in football last year. I think about half his accuracy his mental, 25% was the quality of opponent and 25% was missing Diontae. It'll get better.

Chubb's replacement had over 100 yards I believe so I am not so sure about the Steelers losing if Chubb stays in. Watson still played. And Kenny didn't play well but it really seemed that he was under immediate pressure all night. Bottom line the game goes in the left column.
Ehh. I didn’t feel threatened by his replacement. Take away the one run, and he rushed for 37 yards on 15 carries. And yeah his one run happened and can’t be ignored, but it was well defended until he reversed field and Ricardo Coclough Wallace missed his assignment breaking containment. That’s twice in two weeks for him.

Kenny DOES look like Kenny. Does no one remember 2018-2020? The Steelers ignored years of evidence that most late college breakouts are fools gold- guys who don't succeed in college until their RS senior year very rarely amount to anything in the pros.

Kenny looks bad right now, there's no doubt about it. He's missing open throws and not seeing the field real well. On the other hand:

- our OT had false starts that led to 3rd and longs in back to back first half possessions
- our running game averaged 2.6 yards per carry and delivered 150 fewer rushing yards than the Browns's

And yet, we're still 1-0 in the division and the next two games are against teams that are 1-3 and they're averaging 76% completions and 6.5 yards per attempt. The sledding SHOULD get a lot easier. The Raiders and the Texans are the types of teams that KP handled pretty effectively last year.

His accuracy is correctable. He was one of the most accurate QBs in football last year. I think about half his accuracy his mental, 25% was the quality of opponent and 25% was missing Diontae. It'll get better.
Damn, with those two teams on the schedule, one could argue that now is the time to send Canada to Winnipeg. We should still win while adjusting to a new play caller.

Kenny DOES look like Kenny. Does no one remember 2018-2020? The Steelers ignored years of evidence that most late college breakouts are fools gold- guys who don't succeed in college until their RS senior year very rarely amount to anything in the pros.
Ever hear of Joe Burrow?

I'm sure the timing of Burrow helped his cause. Still, you're talking about a guy who basically started as a redshirt freshman in 2018 and got appreciably better every year. Do I think they signed Mitched Trubisky and then drafted Mitch Trubisky? Yeah, probably. But he was kind of what was available in the year they needed a quarterback. I don't fault them for taking him at 20, hoping he could continue that upward trajectory.

But you definitely don't want to get stuck in that purgatory where a guy at the most important position on the field is doing just enough. If he's not flashing some serious talent by the end of year three, I'm moving on. And I'm giving him a first round receiver to work with next season, without a doubt.

And it was a well designed play. Isn’t that what steeler fans have been screaming for Pickens?
i think pickens has been open a lot and for multiple reasons, we couldnt get him the ball. WEek one, he was wide open multiple times..

OL has to get better. it's not even all moore or chuks either, interior 3 arent doing squat either..

Reactions: Fk_Pitt

They took him over the 3rd best DB or the 6th best OL. It's not like there was some huge opportunity cost. Teams blow it on the 20th pick all the time. If Kenny continues to play like this, it won't set the team back that far.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
KP has been bad. Can’t dispute that. But how many qbs would be better with this OL and this OC

When you don’t have a running game and are constantly facing jail breaks at the Los most qbs would look bad. Add in the fact you have a moron for OC and it’s a recipe for a horrible offense

KP didn’t look confident at all last night. He looks like he’s pressing to make big plays instead of letting the game come to him. His body language walking off the field was pretty bad. He’s had the snot kicked out of him.

KP has been bad. Can’t dispute that. But how many qbs would be better with this OL and this OC

When you don’t have a running game and are constantly facing jail breaks at the Los most qbs would look bad. Add in the fact you have a moron for OC and it’s a recipe for a horrible offense

KP didn’t look confident at all last night. He looks like he’s pressing to make big plays instead of letting the game come to him. His body language walking off the field was pretty bad. He’s had the snot kicked out of him.

It feels like teams are just Narduzi'ing him, to be honest.

1) Stack the box
2) Play the run aggressively; if you see the back doesn't get the ball, continue your downhill path to the quarterback
3) Play tight on the receivers so as to not give the quarterback an easy outlet pass

As we've seen with Pitt, when the defense wins up front it makes for a long, frustrating day... and the QB is going to take some shots.

Or maybe they're just beating us that badly in the trenches and it only seems like they're stacking the box. I'm admittedly just assuming they are, given that it feels like it's 20 against 11.

Don’t recall watching a Steeler win and being less optimistic for their prospects.
To be honest, last night's win reminded me so much of the week 1 win last year against the Bengals. It was a pretty incredible defensive effort, but you cannot go through a whole season expecting your defense to win games like that too many times.

Given the similarities to that Bengals game last season, I see their prospects about the same as last year -- I expect us to be right around .500 (as usual).

Though last year there was the hope that once Kenny replaced Mitch, we would get better.

i think pickens has been open a lot and for multiple reasons, we couldnt get him the ball. WEek one, he was wide open multiple times..

OL has to get better. it's not even all moore or chuks either, interior 3 arent doing squat either..
Almost didn't get him the ball on that play because a 300 pound man was coming to stomp on the QB. TE was the first guy in the progression. KP picked Pickens up and threw a pretty good pass before creating a pretty good sized dent in the turf with his left shoulder.

The Steelers have no offensive identity. Kenny hasn't been good, but it's hard to be an effective QB when you almost never have a pocket to throw from and are running for your life on the majority of plays, have a nonexistent running game...not to mention an offensive coordinator who can't game plan and has middle school route trees for his receivers. When you look at the offenses of guys like Kyle Shannahan or Mike McDaniel....their play design almost always has one receiver open or at least isolated. Canada has to go.

Anyone know what Gunner was thinking there on the KO, he looked like a WR there toeing the OB line to make the catch inbounds.

I know the easy answer, he wasn’t thinking at all, or am I missing something.

Almost didn't get him the ball on that play because a 300 pound man was coming to stomp on the QB. TE was the first guy in the progression. KP picked Pickens up and threw a pretty good pass before creating a pretty good sized dent in the turf with his left shoulder.
3 guys to block 2 and couldn't protect.

Anyone know what Gunner was thinking there on the KO, he looked like a WR there toeing the OB line to make the catch inbounds.

I know the easy answer, he wasn’t thinking at all, or am I missing something.

He was thinking a free trip to Canada would be kind of cool and playing in the CFL by this time next week is the best way to get it.

Literally the exact opposite of what he should have done, which was catch the ball with at least one foot blatantly out of bounds.

TJ Watt vs Miles Garrett- still can’t believe people put these two guys in the same discussion. Miles Garrett had one tackle and one QB hit last night. There is no comparison between these two players. The only thing that holds TJ back is injuries. Otherwise I don’t think any reasonable person anywhere would put these two guys in the same category. But people do.
Unbelievable.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT