ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The Band - LIVE from the Syria Mosque in 1970

The Band's last concert is on DVD, The Last Waltz, it's a great concert, with Bob Dylan
Neil Young, Van Morrison and I think Neil Diamond but he didn't sing Lets go Pitt
Don't forget The Staple Singers who sang The Weight so perfectly WITH The Band on The Last Waltz! A most memorable performance!

Reactions: pittbacker1
The Band's last concert is on DVD, The Last Waltz, it's a great concert, with Bob Dylan
Neil Young, Van Morrison and I think Neil Diamond but he didn't sing Lets go Pitt
You are right on all accounts....great show!!!

What a wonderful era that was. Walking to the Mosque for the shows, enjoying the music and everything else and then hitting CJ's after the performance. Great time was had by all.

Have "The Last Waltz" DVD. Some tremendous stuff on there.

This may still be my favorite of all from that show, though. Emmylou Harris is fantastic and she just fits in so well with sounds and voices of The Band.

Just to go for a trip down memory lane go to the Syria Mosque and Stanley Theater archives and look at the acts that played, unreal be willing to bet no college any where had those 2 great venues 3 miles apart. Plus add in Pittsburgh’s great jazz history and end of story. Then you can throw in the big shows at the arena. What a time for musician the burgh.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Just to go for a trip down memory lane go to the Syria Mosque and Stanley Theater archives and look at the acts that played, unreal be willing to bet no college any where had those 2 great venues 3 miles apart. Plus add in Pittsburgh’s great jazz history and end of story. Then you can throw in the big shows at the arena. What a time for musician the burgh.

My first Grateful Dead show was at the Stanley Theater. I was in sixth or seventh grade and went with my older brother and a bunch of his friends.

It was amazing to see them in a venue that small. By the end of the show my brother and his friends were off doing something, nudge-nudge, and my hands were on the edge of the stage.

Click on the link below to read about the history of the Syria Mosque. It will give a real perspective of "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot". So sad...

Syria Mosque

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Click on the link below to read about the history of the Syria Mosque. It will give a real perspective of "they paved paradise and put up a parking lot". So sad...

Syria Mosque

An interesting Syria Mosque anecdote for me. I was actually in the crowd and watched a closed circuit TV broadcast of the 1974 Pitt at ND football game at the Mosque. They set up a movie screen on the stage and projected the game telecast onto it.

In those pre-ESPN days there were very few games televised live. So ND did a condensed recap show on Sunday mornings with Lindsay Nelson and Paul Hornung calling the game. In order to do that, they had to actually produce the game live in order to edit it for the Sunday morning show. Even though the games weren't allowed to be televised live over the air due to the TV contract rules at that time.

So Pitt was able to acquire the rights from ND to do a closed circuit viewing and they showed it at the Syria Mosque. As I recall there was a pretty nice crowd of Pitt fans in there. Pretty loud and raucous, too. That turned out to be the only game of the 4 he played vs ND that Dorsett was held in check. ND won 14 -10.

Of course, Tony got some serious revenge the next 2 years. He ran all over the Irish for 303 yds rushing in 1975 at Pitt Stadium in a 34 - 20 Pitt win. And then again in the season opener at ND in the 1976 NC season when he led Pitt to a 31 -10 victory, including a 60+ yard run on Pitt's first offensive play that left Ara Parseghian in disbelief.

Since we're talking Oakland and the Syria Mosque, this Steve Earle video was shot during an 1986 tour stop here and has a lot of quick shots of him walking in Oakland, the "Mosque" and the Parkway East

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT