ADVERTISEMENT

OT: the best in guitar distortion-who you got?

Fk_Pitt

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 3, 2007
Two great songs in guitar distortion history. Who you got?

Reactions: Jim Z
Just limiting it to intros that use some type of distortion pedal, Money For Nothing and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love are up there. But I think you're looking for something fuzzier.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Those are good. Chronologically, let me start with Foxy Lady by Hendrix.
Chronologically, I’ll stay with you, and since there was that other thread about the Guess Who…I’ll say “American Woman”.

Just limiting it to intros that use some type of distortion pedal, Money For Nothing and Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love are up there. But I think you're looking for something fuzzier.
I love it! Ain’t talking bout love is one of those VH songs that just sounds right…regardless if it’s Sammy or Dave.

Distorted guitars you say???

Any smashing pumpkins or nirvana song would suffice
No doubt. I love the sound and i consider myself one of the earliest pumpkin fans. it’s why Silversun Pickups are a fav of mine.

Reactions: ratking17
EVH definitely brought the distortion and the wah wah pedal to the fore front .
I especially appreciated Hendrix and Trower ..
But the list goes on and on ...
Edit: I remember in the 70's my mom who worked a Kmart bought me an electric guitar and this plastic amp . Not too long after I saved enough from my paper route to buy an MXR distortion pedal and it changed my musical life . Mum wasn't too happy but man ...

Last edited:
No doubt. I love the sound and i consider myself one of the earliest pumpkin fans. it’s why Silversun Pickups are a fav of mine.
Love silversun. Hit heavier than people think. Great live act.

Pumpkins...I have seen SP/Corgan solo/Zwan/Pumpkins in plainsong over 50 times live. Some might say I have a problem

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
I should also add that I see Girlfriend as one of the truly great underrated albums of the last few decades. It defined and redefined PowerPop at the time.
Very underrated era/genre of music because the Seattle bands get all the play and longevity. Lithium on XM is playing the top 50 videos of that era and these songs were part of it. Owts 120 minutes thread last week sent me down a rabbit hole.

Absolutely one of my favorite songs of that genre.
It’s a good one. There are songs that were distinctly either Sammy or Dave, and that’s one that could have been either. Sammy can also sing all of Dave’s but Dave couldn’t sing Sammy’s…nor would he want to even if he could. Lol. Weird dude.

Reactions: mike 301
A number of responses cite the greatness of Jimi Hendrix. So let's trust his own opinion... and I thus cite Wm F Gibbons. Billy Gibbons. ZZ Top and the greatest guitarist in my humble opinion

Wow! Thanks everyone.
What a way to end my longloop weekend, so many great song- memories. Sadly I don't get to enjoy music as much as I use to. As far as guitars goes always enjoyed this. Hope i got this link right, all legends and Prince just kills it then walks the f of stage. Strange dude but taledented as hell.

The intro to Sabotage is bass. But you could be talking about the actual guitar in the song so I dont say that as trolling
Or I could be talking about a bass guitar. Lol.

Oddly when doing a yahoo search tonight on the greatest Distortion guitar songs of all time, the very first article that the search pulled up had Sabotage as the #1 guitar distortion song of all time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT