ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The forgotten PENS

Odds are, when they come home from this western trip, we will know if they are at all playoff worthy. They really need to go at least 3-1 against some solid competition. Without Jake and Rust, the chances of going 3-1 are slim and none. This trip will likely end any playoff talk and pivot the talk to who we can unload and what we can get in return.
Agree, this is a huge road trip for whether they make Playoffs and they need at least 6 points out of the 4 games ....... Jake and Rust out takes a lot of offense away and we have been offensively challenged this year so far, but sometimes when you are on the road and also have a couple top 6 guys out, the team plays a simpler more structured game which is when they have been at their best this year ..... I think they will need to do that plus get more points on the power play and get good goaltending to win ..... I'm not that optimistic but let's see what happens.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
Pens WIN 4-3 (OT) over the Canucks ....... really good comeback by the Pens down 2-0 end of the 1st period, tied it 2-2 in the 2nd but gave up a shorthanded goal in the 2nd and were down 3-2 until a big goal by Eller midway through the 3rd period tied it 3-3 ...... Karlsson wins it 4-3 in overtime which was very well played by the Pens !

Pens were pretty well structured throughout, got a PP goal in the game, Jarry was good in net, all the things we said in the post above they needed to do to win ...... Pens also won the face-off in OT and played a great puck possession game that eventually led to the OT goal ...... on to Seattle to meet the Kraken on Thursday.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Pens WIN 4-3 (OT) over the Canucks ....... really good comeback by the Pens down 2-0 end of the 1st period, tied it 2-2 in the 2nd but gave up a shorthanded goal in the 2nd and were down 3-2 until a big goal by Eller midway through the 3rd period tied it 3-3 ...... Karlsson wins it 4-3 in overtime which was very well played by the Pens !

Pens were pretty well structured throughout, got a PP goal in the game, Jarry was good in net, all the things we said in the post above they needed to do to win ...... Pens also won the face-off in OT and played a great puck possession game that eventually led to the OT goal ...... on to Seattle to meet the Kraken on Thursday.
Was a pleasant surprise this morning to see they came back and won in OT. Saw last night that they came back from 2 down to tie but then promptly gave up the short-handed goal. Didn’t see the rest of the game but wasn’t too optimistic it was going to turn out good.

Power play looks much better without Mulkin and Letang. Some of us suggested putting Carter in front of the net and that seems to be working well. Too bad they took this long to make these changes

So if the Penguins trade Jake and Carter's salary comes off the books after the season that will be 9.1 million the Penguins will have for free agency . I say trade Jake for some pics and prospects . Try to trade Malkin and Jarry before next season and maybe the Pens can get Crosby another Cup before he retires.

So if the Penguins trade Jake and Carter's salary comes off the books after the season that will be 9.1 million the Penguins will have for free agency . I say trade Jake for some pics and prospects . Try to trade Malkin and Jarry before next season and maybe the Pens can get Crosby another Cup before he retires.
Id dump Letang and Rust as well but keep Jarry. Although Im not sure the returns will facilitate another cup run

How much better would Trocheck be on this team instead of Malkin ...
He is 7 years younger , and makes about 500k less.
Everyone knew this would be a better signing except for the Penguins.
It's as if the Penguins wanted to suck.

How much better would Trocheck be on this team instead of Malkin ...
He is 7 years younger , and makes about 500k less.
Everyone knew this would be a better signing except for the Penguins.
It's as if the Penguins wanted to suck.
Yep. I was a strong advocate for making that move over Malkin. This team would be in a playoff spot if they did that.

Stick a fork in this crew. Letang is awful. Malkin stinks. Take lol is worthless Letang almost single handedly gave this game away

Sully needs to go but this team has no talent other than Crosby and Jake Karlsson has been a major disappointment

Reactions: Dan1911
I don’t think this team is forgotten. They’re ignored because they are awful. 3 goals given up in a period on 20 shots. Bad teams find ways to lose and that’s what’s happening this year.

At least we have Letang under contract through 2029 and Malkin through
2027 🤣🤣🤣
And don’t worry about the no trade clauses, with those contracts there is ZERO chance to trade either one of them.

Stick a fork in this crew. Letang is awful. Malkin stinks. Take lol is worthless Letang almost single handedly gave this game away

Anyone who stayed up and watched the game last night saw the Penguins playoff chances die, live on television. And while there were lots of causes of that death, the person who made the kill shot last night was Kris Letang. It was almost as if he was trying to let Calgary win in that third period.

Anyone who stayed up and watched the game last night saw the Penguins playoff chances die, live on television. And while there were lots of causes of that death, the person who made the kill shot last night was Kris Letang. It was almost as if he was trying to let Calgary win in that third period.
Instead of taking the body on at least two goals and in pretty sure it was three he made a lame attempt at a poke check and looked like he was stuck in cement as the guy blew by him

Reactions: USN_Panther
Look......this is THE BEST THING THAT COULD HAPPEN TO THEM!! Last year in the run up to the trade deadline, they had a mini run which completely obfuscated any reality that they weren't a real contender. Putting the nails in the coffin now allows this organization to freely make the moves it needs to make.

I was in transit to my own hockey game for nearly the entire game. I arrived at the the rink with the Pens winning 3-2 in the third. Got the livestream up just in time for that terrible turnover in the last minute to give up the decider. They just gave away points. That final goal was beer league level breakout play. I hope Jarry fought him in the locker room.

• Haha
Reactions: goalieman
Lots of smoke on Twitter this morning that Guentzel is on the move. No definitive details yet, but last night might’ve cemented them as sellers.

Oh, absolutely. After last night there is no way you can be anything other than a seller. Had they won that one you might be able to convince yourself that there was still a chance. But not now. This team simply blows too many points it should get.
That’s been a trend for what at least two to three years now ?

I noticed a few weeks ago that I don’t have access to the penguin TV network on my cable. Not sure when and how that happened. So I should leave it that way? Or go online and subscribe?

Oh, absolutely. After last night there is no way you can be anything other than a seller. Had they won that one you might be able to convince yourself that there was still a chance. But not now. This team simply blows too many points it should get.
The shame of this whole thing is.......

As I have said, don't look at this season as "the failure". The failure was 2018-2022. That was the last of the window. In fact the Covid bubble screwed them along with not one but two expansion drafts, but they should have moved Malkin circa 2019-20 for a big haul.

Also ownership change likely caused issues and now you wonder why Jim Rutherford suddenly resigned, maybe he realized ownership was changing and a 70 year old GM did not want to go through this and also unsure of the direction.

I understand the NHL is a gate driven league and while Pittsburgh is a flagship American city for hockey, it is still a rather small market where you have to sell tickets. And that has likely clouded decisions in whether to sign or move guys. For example, the decision to resign Malkin over Vincent Trochek is just awful.

So I expect Dubas to start purging assets. Even if they accumulate draft picks these are things maybe he can trade this summer for NHL roster spots.

I noticed a few weeks ago that I don’t have access to the penguin TV network on my cable. Not sure when and how that happened. So I should leave it that way? Or go online and subscribe?
They upgraded in as far as what tier now they are. I am not SMF aka "Mr. Tier III Media" but those who have subscribed to lower cable or Satellite networks may no longer get the Pens/Pirates channel.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
They upgraded in as far as what tier now they are. I am not SMF aka "Mr. Tier III Media" but those who have subscribed to lower cable or Satellite networks may no longer get the Pens/Pirates channel.
Yeah it surprised me. I believe I had to upgrade to a higher package in order to get ESPN U and ACC network, which I get. Surprised that I don’t get the local pens/pirates as well. In the past that is what kept me from cutting the cord. But if I have to pay extra for it now, maybe it’s time to re-explore.

Yeah it surprised me. I believe I had to upgrade to a higher package in order to get ESPN U and ACC network, which I get. Surprised that I don’t get the local pens/pirates as well. In the past that is what kept me from cutting the cord. But if I have to pay extra for it now, maybe it’s time to re-explore.

About a week ago I was over at my mom's, and she was flabbergasted. She watches the Pirates all the time and the Penguins sometimes. And she doesn't get them any more. And she was not happy. I told her that she would have to buy a more expensive plan if she wants to watch them on Comcast.

It would be nice if they would figure out the streaming only option that they (Sportsnet) were supposed to be bringing out. If they do that maybe I can just buy her a Roku that she could use only for streaming the games, because I don't think she'd handle the world of streaming very well.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Only way Sid wins another cup is if he is with a different team. FIRE SULLY NOW!!!!

Karlsson hasn’t been a great acquisition. We were told he’d fix the power play. He hasn’t. We already have an offensive defenseman who turns it over. Doubling down and getting another Letang wasn’t a smart idea. So many turnovers leading to goals. So many shorthanded goals. It’s maddening.

Reactions: ShipofFools
Karlsson hasn’t been a great acquisition. We were told he’d fix the power play. He hasn’t. We already have an offensive defenseman who turns it over. Doubling down and getting another Letang wasn’t a smart idea. So many turnovers leading to goals. So many shorthanded goals. It’s maddening.
I think I was the lone voice on this board that disagreed with the Reilly Smith trade. I didn't like giving up draft picks for 30+ year old players. I was told a 3rd round pick was nothing for a proven forward that would add some jam to the lineup. Turned out to be more like jelly. Jake Guentzel, Kris Letang, and even Smith were past 3rd round picks. Sometimes you get lucky. The Pens need all the draft capital they can get at this point. Giving some away for 30+ year old players that most likely wouldn't make the Pens serious SC contenders just didn't make sense to me.

I stayed quiet with the Karlsson deal even though I didn't like that deal either. Too much money and a 1st round pick. The deal made a little sense in that Dubas was able to get rid of some dead weight and salary cap, even though most people that know hockey knew that Karlsson was long on offense and short on defense. I put little weight toward regular season major awards. Especially the Norris Trophy.

Now the franchise sits at a crossroads. Saddled with an old team and crippling contracts, very little future prospects, and a head coach that refuses to change with the tide. Thankful for the Cup runs, but lean times look ahead. Dubas has some work to do.

I'm trying to forget them at this point.
We've had a 40 year run of having 2 of the greats of the game. A handful of Cups.
It's looking like we might be envious of the Blackhawks at some point soon.
And a few of the core guys they signed to try to transition easier to a younger roster are many nights the players responsible for the ship sinking

I think I was the lone voice on this board that disagreed with the Reilly Smith trade. I didn't like giving up draft picks for 30+ year old players. I was told a 3rd round pick was nothing for a proven forward that would add some jam to the lineup. Turned out to be more like jelly. Jake Guentzel, Kris Letang, and even Smith were past 3rd round picks. Sometimes you get lucky. The Pens need all the draft capital they can get at this point. Giving some away for 30+ year old players that most likely wouldn't make the Pens serious SC contenders just didn't make sense to me.

I stayed quiet with the Karlsson deal even though I didn't like that deal either. Too much money and a 1st round pick. The deal made a little sense in that Dubas was able to get rid of some dead weight and salary cap, even though most people that know hockey knew that Karlsson was long on offense and short on defense. I put little weight toward regular season major awards. Especially the Norris Trophy.

Now the franchise sits at a crossroads. Saddled with an old team and crippling contracts, very little future prospects, and a head coach that refuses to change with the tide. Thankful for the Cup runs, but lean times look ahead. Dubas has some work to do.
Smith definitely hasn’t worked out & it’s really hurt badly.

Pretty easy for some of us, since they are no longer on our TV.

The last time I spent the time sitting in front of a TV watching a complete game I couldn't even tell you.
The games that look interesting (wins) I stream the 10 minute highlights to my TV.

Reactions: Parkview57
So, will the Milkshake Factory still sell the Jake Shake when Guentzel gets traded? Maybe they'll partner with another Pens player and come up with a substitute?

PS Phil Borque just said that based on historical numbers, Pens may need to win 16 of their 23 remaining games to make the Playoffs.

Last edited:
Harkins left the game after he missed the penalty shot after he missed on the break way. Reports are he was suffering from a bruised ego and a massive shortage of talent.

It actually is not at the crossroads. Flaming out for the second year in a row when they have a playoff spot to play is indicative of a team that is just not good enough....AND a coach unwilling try different tactics to match the current roster, not the roster of 2017.

How many leads has this team blown in the 3rd period over the past few years? That is not a result of "bad goaltending" as yinzers like to blame, but a result of a coach and a team not playing smart hockey with the lead.

In reality.......................the WORST thing that could have happened to the Pens if they went 3-1 or similar on this road trip. This is what happened last year. They went 5-1 into the trade deadline, and instead of moving parts and getting younger assets/picks, they made the Mikael Granlund trade. They went 8-14 down the stretch and finished out of the playoffs.

This year, nope. So Kyle Dubas can approach this trade deadline with clear eyes, full heart. Can't lose?

To me everyone has a price. I listen. Obviously they aren't going to trade Sid, but others, even if they only get a bunch of draft picks, that is capital this offseason Dubas can turn around into players.

One other thing..................the coach has expired. They need to bring in someone that will value physicality. I am not talking Fred Shero gooning it up til the cows come in, but this team has no one and hasn't to stand up to anyone. Has no one to run around in a shift and hit anything that moves that changes momentum.

It is time. It was time in 2020. It is 2024. So it is overdue......and now with accruing interest.

Reactions: Pittisit4me
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT