ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Unlike the NFL Cheating is frowned upon in MLB

It's frowned on so much that of all the players that they know for a fact participated in the cheating exactly none of them got suspend for even one game. Or even fined for that matter.

It's not the cheating that MLB frowns on, it's the getting caught that they frown on.
Yes. That was an odd handling of suspensions that shows exactly what you say.

Yes. That was an odd handling of suspensions that shows exactly what you say.

Rob Manfred said something along the lines of well, we can't tell for sure who all the players involved were and a lot of those guys don't play for the Astros anymore so we didn't feel like we could do anything to the players.

Which is just next level stupid if you give it even a moment's thought. Like a group of guys rob a bank and the FBI says well, we don't know who all the guys involved were, so we aren't going to prosecute the ones that we do know that did it. And besides, by now those guys have all moved on to other things besides robbing banks, so we didn't fell it would be right to punish them.

Reactions: caleco's
The commish said that the use of technology was what made this affair worse. The message is clear for future use of tech to cheat.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
They took away first round draft choices. Although given where HOUSTON is drafting and the crap shoot the mlb draft is that’s not that big is a deal I guess

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t see sign stealing as cheating. Teams have been stealing signs forever. It is a science and a talent.

Stealing signs by using the center field television camera might be using science, but it takes no talent at all. Literally every one of us here could have done what the Astros were doing. This wasn't some guy on second base figuring out the indicator and signaling to the batter, this was guys watching TV.

Stealing signs in baseball has been an American pastime and artform for as long as the game has existed.

Kids steal signs, in American Legion, and HS baseball.

I know nothing about college baseball but I bet its a popular activity there as well.

Its throwing, hitting, catching, running the bases, center fielder, 2nd baseman, and shortstop figure out the signs and compare them to what the coach and parnts sitting in center field with binoculars have.

It's a family and team building event, a good way to pass the time during a long boring ballgame.

Stealing baseball signs makes the headlines, but commiting a serious crime and have it reduced to nothing or dismissed is commonplace today. Sign of the times!

Last edited:
not much of a boom

Read the ESPN story on the reaction of the other teams. They asked one team President, anonymously of course, how many teams would be willing to give up what the Astros did in order to win a championship. His answer was "25? 28? 30?"

Here's how you know that MLB knows this punishment was a joke. In the conference call where they told the teams what the punishment was going to be Manfred told the teams he didn't want to hear any discussion about it, and implied that if any teams spoke on the sanctions publicly that their punishment would be worse than what the Astros got. Because he knew that if people could say what they wanted publicly MLB would be getting trashed by it's own teams over this. The fact that the players who did this and the owner where the buck is supposed to stop got off with no punishment, other than the owner having to pay some cash, is a joke.

The local "fish wrapper" newspaper for those who live in the city of Pittsburgh has a special entitled Sports Scandals are Nothing New.

No kidding.

The first scandal listed was Baseball:

1951 Giants Stealing Signals/Signs-
The NY Giants won the pennant over Brooklyn in 1951 on a famous HR by Bobby Thomson.
But the Wall St Journal quoted Hall of Fame outfielder Monte Irvin, catcher Sal Yvars and Pitcher Al Gettel admitting the Giants stole signs.
The Journal reported the Giants would spy from their CF clubhouse with military grade binoculars, field scope, and relay signs to the bullpen with a buzzer system.
Yvars said he relayed signs to the hitters.

This happened in 1951 and its still taking place almost like its 1951 all over again!

Noone should care because nothing has changed!
Develop a better way to signal players.

That's why I say baseball and stealing /signals/signs is a family event and one of the national pastimes!

Last edited:
Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Maybe it’s just me but I don’t see sign stealing as cheating. Teams have been stealing signs forever. It is a science and a talent.

stealing signs by players/coaches on the field is a part of the game. That actually takes skill and there are practical defenses against it. The playing field is still level since either team can do it regardless of where they are playing the game.

This is different. They didn’t put a centerfield monitor in the visitors dugout. Using tech in your own stadium to give an advantage to your team, and only your team, takes away that level field

Read the ESPN story on the reaction of the other teams. They asked one team President, anonymously of course, how many teams would be willing to give up what the Astros did in order to win a championship. His answer was "25? 28? 30?"

Here's how you know that MLB knows this punishment was a joke. In the conference call where they told the teams what the punishment was going to be Manfred told the teams he didn't want to hear any discussion about it, and implied that if any teams spoke on the sanctions publicly that their punishment would be worse than what the Astros got. Because he knew that if people could say what they wanted publicly MLB would be getting trashed by it's own teams over this. The fact that the players who did this and the owner where the buck is supposed to stop got off with no punishment, other than the owner having to pay some cash, is a joke.

There's no honor in it, but if that's all the Pirates had to give up to win a World Series, I know I'd be the first in line at the championship parade.

It's frowned on so much that of all the players that they know for a fact participated in the cheating exactly none of them got suspend for even one game. Or even fined for that matter.

It's not the cheating that MLB frowns on, it's the getting caught that they frown on.

Why should the players get suspended. You mean they set up cameras and feeds to a monitor in the locker room tunnel and set up lights on their own with out anyone from management knowing? The players are supposed to ignore the information they are given? This is not a player issue. It is a manager/GM/Owner issue.

Reactions: Chaos
Why should the players get suspended. You mean they set up cameras and feeds to a monitor in the locker room tunnel and set up lights on their own with out anyone from management knowing? The players are supposed to ignore the information they are given? This is not a player issue. It is a manager/GM/Owner issue.

Well, Beltran was "merely" a player, and he's now tarnished.

Because the players were the ones who did it. I mean did you even read any of the stories about what went on? They didn't set up any cameras, they used the television feed. It was the players who watched the monitors, and it was the players who signaled to their teammates what was coming. It was the manager who, on more than one occasion, told them to stop and went so far as the break the monitor that they players were using with a bat on two different occasions to get them to stop.

Now should he have done more? Of course he should have. But this was a scheme thought up by the players and run by the players. The players were the ones who put the monitor there. The players were the ones who hid the monitor when they thought they might get caught. If it wasn't for the players none of this would have happened. Literally, none of it.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
MLB lowers the boom in the astros. Pats get caught cheating multiple times and get a mere slap in the wrist

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/astros-punishment-sign-stealing-scandal-reaction
the amazing thing is that they thought they could get away with it...Two people involved in a conspiracy means that there is one too many people involved.I mean the POTUS cannot get a simple hummer from a chubby intern in the privacy of the oval orifice without someone getting wind of it so how is it they thought that with players and coaches constantly moving around the league that this would never get out?

Because the players were the ones who did it. I mean did you even read any of the stories about what went on? They didn't set up any cameras, they used the television feed. It was the players who watched the monitors, and it was the players who signaled to their teammates what was coming. It was the manager who, on more than one occasion, told them to stop and went so far as the break the monitor that they players were using with a bat on two different occasions to get them to stop.

Now should he have done more? Of course he should have. But this was a scheme thought up by the players and run by the players. The players were the ones who put the monitor there. The players were the ones who hid the monitor when they thought they might get caught. If it wasn't for the players none of this would have happened. Literally, none of it.

Ok, I have no idea. But I find it very hard to believe that the players have the technology experience and equipment to create a feed to a monitor that is located near the dugout and to have that monitor there without anyone on the staff knowing about it after the fact. If it was just a plain tv broadcast that we all see and they were simply watching the game and figuring out the signs, then why would the coaches just cut the cable cord. Or dismantle the set up before the game started? There are tv’s in the hitting stalls behind the dugout with regular game feeds from TV. If they can get the signals from that and signal the signs to the batter, who cares. That is on the other team for not changing signs frequently enough and on TV for showing the signs. I just thought it was more than that.

The players didn’t install the monitor or hook it up to the center field camera.. That was actually done above board, for “training purposes”. They even had permission from MLB to have the monitor placed there, as long as it was only used during practices and not during games

Ok, I have no idea. But I find it very hard to believe that the players have the technology experience and equipment to create a feed to a monitor that is located near the dugout and to have that monitor there without anyone on the staff knowing about it after the fact. If it was just a plain tv broadcast that we all see and they were simply watching the game and figuring out the signs, then why would the coaches just cut the cable cord. Or dismantle the set up before the game started? There are tv’s in the hitting stalls behind the dugout with regular game feeds from TV. If they can get the signals from that and signal the signs to the batter, who cares. That is on the other team for not changing signs frequently enough and on TV for showing the signs. I just thought it was more than that.

MLB lowers the boom in the astros. Pats get caught cheating multiple times and get a mere slap in the wrist

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/astros-punishment-sign-stealing-scandal-reaction
I really don't get what the big deal about this. People cheat at EVERY level in EVERY sport. In fact, it happens hundreds of times daily in the sports world. Every player who is given a penalty in a hockey game, a yellow/red card in a soccer game, holds/interferes an opponent in a football game, etc...is cheating.
MLB has a history of turning cheaters into superstars. George Brett (and the hundreds of others) for using a corked bat, Whitey Ford and Gaylord Perry (amongst many others) for their spitballs, they all cheated.
The MLB players, coaches and teams that are upset with the Astros for stealing their signs, should all stop whining and work on getting better at how they send their signals.

I really don't get what the big deal about this.

Teams were explicitly told not to do stuff like this, and that if they did the penalties would be harsh. And they did it anyway.

The only way you can equate this to a penalty in hockey or a yellow card in a soccer game or any similar infraction in any other sport is if you don't understand what you are talking about.

Teams were explicitly told not to do stuff like this, and that if they did the penalties would be harsh. And they did it anyway.

The only way you can equate this to a penalty in hockey or a yellow card in a soccer game or any similar infraction in any other sport is if you don't understand what you are talking about.
Oh, I understand exactly what I'm talking about and as I said, they ALL do it.
For those coaches and athletes that are popular, it's called "gamemanship", for those aren't so popular, its called cheating.
As I said in my original post, the other teams need to stop their whining and moaning and do a better job of passing along their signals to their players. I have no prove, but I can almost guarantee you, that right now, as we converse back and forth, there are players and coaches cheating in some capacity in their given sport.

as I said, they ALL do it.

That's the whole point. You don't know what you are talking about. They weren't ALL doing this. When one of the teams got caught with someone with an Apple Watch in the dugout (note, with no proof they were using it for anything nefarious) teams were explicitly told that any use of technology to steal signs would be dealt with harshly.

The notion that someone committing a penalty in a hockey game or a football game is the same thing as people using video cameras to steal signs is silly. Why do you think the NFL destroyed all the records of what the Patriots did when they got caught using cameras illegally? Everyone most certainly is not doing this, and none of the sports leagues want teams to start doing it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT