ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What’s Good Now On TV?

Sweet Tooth (Netflix). This statement may sound ridiculous but it is a near future post apocalyptic setting with a lot of heart and hope. Very well done.

If you have HBO then raised by wolves is a really interesting show. Not for everyone, but definitely a new and fresh take. Same with Made for Love and Barry.

Peacock has some funny stuff now with Killing It with Craig Robison and second season of Girls5eva.

I finished Season 1 of The Bear. Really excellent. Jeremy Allen White, formerly Lip on Shameless, is as good as you would expect. The entire cast is first rate.

I am a big fan of John Bernthal, who has a small role as the deceased Michael, former owner of the restaurant. He has an intriguing face. Personally, I love the fact that he and his brother run a shelter for pit bulls and work to get acceptance for the breed. On my way back from Barcelona, I spent 3 days with pit bulls: Gracie, my brother’s pit bull who I have known for years; and Wiggles and Nugget, my niece’s two young pit bulls, who are incredibly gentle around her 3 month old daughter. (Also, with Wallace, my nephew’s English bulldog, who outweighs them all, loves watching TV and barks at every dog on TV.)

Looking forward to Season 2.
I guess I have to give the Bear another chance. My daughter recommended it a number of weeks back but the 1st episode didn’t do anything to hook me so I gave up.

Sweet Tooth (Netflix). This statement may sound ridiculous but it is a near future post apocalyptic setting with a lot of heart and hope. Very well done.
It’s very interesting
but we realized one episode in that it was not for my son (age 10)

There was a recommendation for “Only Murders In The Building” on Hulu, starring Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez. It was so good that I watched all 10 episodes in the past two days. The writing is terrific. The acting, of course, is excellent across the board. Uncredited appearances by Tina Fey and Nathan Lane (in a recurring role). Apparently, the second season is now on Hulu.

if you want to watch a smart but funny, cleverly written show with lots of plot twists, it is a great choice. Thanks again to those who recommended it.

To top it all off, you have an apartment building as a co-star. The Belnord Apartments on West 86th Street in Manhattan is an incredible setting. It now is a very expensive 200-plus unit combination condo/apartment building which has some of the largest residential homes in Manhattan in an Art Deco setting.

I was in the building (real name The Belnord) once in September 1968. It was all apartments then — and rent-controlled. Because of the size of the units (the 2 bedroom apartments are over 2,000 sq. feet; the average in Manhattan is around 900 sq. feet) and the fact that they were rent-controlled they were in incredible demand. I was looking for a place to live when I was going to graduate school at Columbia. I had taken the streetcar to Pitt for 4 years, so I was totally unfamiliar with how to get a dorm room. I just showed up at Columbia on registration day and asked for one. People looked at me like I was crazy. Not crazy, but naive. Obviously, they couldn’t help. They did direct me to the housing office which had a bulletin board with ads for apartments on it.

There was an ad which basically said ‘5 serious, non-smoking graduate students looking for a sixth to share 3 bedroom West Side apartment.’
I made an appointment and went there and was interviewed by 3 of the roommates. Two women and a man. They said they already had found the new roommate but were looking for a couple of backups. Have no idea if I made it or not because I never heard from them again.

The building was somewhat rundown, but still amazing. The rent, if I remember correctly, was $200 a month to share a bedroom and bathroom. There were 2 women and 3 men (looking for a 4th) and 2 bathrooms — one for the women so it would have been 4 guys using one bathroom. Not ideal, and the rent was very high for me, but I would have taken it because of the location: 86th and Broadway, within walking distance (28 blocks) of Columbia, with a subway station on the corner. Also safe neighborhood.

I checked the building out on Google last night. It sold in 1994 for $15 Million. The buyer spent the next 20 years trying to get it out of rent control. They then sold the residential units (keeping control of the first floor retail at street level) for $575 Million. The new owner started renovating the building and selling about half of the apartments as condos. They sold the first 95 condos for $1.35 Billion. Yes, there is money to be made in real estate.

I don’t know if any of the apartments still are rent-controlled, but I doubt it. The average price for a rental is $30,000 per month. Condos are going for between $4 Million and $11 Million. Most sell for more than the listing price. They are priced “low” to create bidding wars.

I ended up subletting a rent-controlled apartment in the South Bronx (Andrews Avenue and 179th Street) for $75 per month. Had to take 3 different trains on 3 different lines to get to Columbia.

Reactions: whirlybird optio
There was a recommendation for “Only Murders In The Building” on Hulu, starring Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez. It was so good that I watched all 10 episodes in the past two days. The writing is terrific. The acting, of course, is excellent across the board. Uncredited appearances by Tina Fey and Nathan Lane (in a recurring role). Apparently, the second season is now on Hulu.

if you want to watch a smart but funny, cleverly written show with lots of plot twists, it is a great choice. Thanks again to those who recommended it.

To top it all off, you have an apartment building as a co-star. The Belnord Apartments on West 86th Street in Manhattan is an incredible setting. It now is a very expensive 200-plus unit combination condo/apartment building which has some of the largest residential homes in Manhattan in an Art Deco setting.

I was in the building (real name The Belnord) once in September 1968. It was all apartments then — and rent-controlled. Because of the size of the units (the 2 bedroom apartments are over 2,000 sq. feet; the average in Manhattan is around 900 sq. feet) and the fact that they were rent-controlled they were in incredible demand. I was looking for a place to live when I was going to graduate school at Columbia. I had taken the streetcar to Pitt for 4 years, so I was totally unfamiliar with how to get a dorm room. I just showed up at Columbia on registration day and asked for one. People looked at me like I was crazy. Not crazy, but naive. Obviously, they couldn’t help. They did direct me to the housing office which had a bulletin board with ads for apartments on it.

There was an ad which basically said ‘5 serious, non-smoking graduate students looking for a sixth to share 3 bedroom West Side apartment.’
I made an appointment and went there and was interviewed by 3 of the roommates. Two women and a man. They said they already had found the new roommate but were looking for a couple of backups. Have no idea if I made it or not because I never heard from them again.

The building was somewhat rundown, but still amazing. The rent, if I remember correctly, was $200 a month to share a bedroom and bathroom. There were 2 women and 3 men (looking for a 4th) and 2 bathrooms — one for the women so it would have been 4 guys using one bathroom. Not ideal, and the rent was very high for me, but I would have taken it because of the location: 86th and Broadway, within walking distance (28 blocks) of Columbia, with a subway station on the corner. Also safe neighborhood.

I checked the building out on Google last night. It sold in 1994 for $15 Million. The buyer spent the next 20 years trying to get it out of rent control. They then sold the residential units (keeping control of the first floor retail at street level) for $575 Million. The new owner started renovating the building and selling about half of the apartments as condos. They sold the first 95 condos for $1.35 Billion. Yes, there is money to be made in real estate.

I don’t know if any of the apartments still are rent-controlled, but I doubt it. The average price for a rental is $30,000 per month. Condos are going for between $4 Million and $11 Million. Most sell for more than the listing price. They are priced “low” to create bidding wars.

I ended up subletting a rent-controlled apartment in the South Bronx (Andrews Avenue and 179th Street) for $75 per month. Had to take 3 different trains on 3 different lines to get to Columbia.
Glad you liked it Mike!

Season 2 is just as good, a little darker for sure. But just as funny, and the mystery this year, which is the mystery you get at the end of last year, is in many ways a much more interesting one.

I decided to watch "Inventing Anna" I'm 3 episodes in, it's just one season, supposedly a true story that I never heard of, it's pretty interesting because 3 episodes in you have no idea who the F this Anna is, Anna is played by Julia Garner, who played Ruth on Ozark, she's pretty good, I might not of realized it right away, because I never saw her in anything other than Ozark, so I was used to the hillbilly persona. It's like a white collar scam story.

Looking for recommendations.

Right now, the only series I watch are “Jeopardy”, “Better Call Saul”, which is ending in 3 more episodes and “Trying”, an excellent British show that just began its third season on Apple TV. (Highly recommended, but you must watch the first two seasons first.)

Waiting for the third and final season of “Derry Girls,” which should be coming to Netflix this Fall, and, hopefully, new seasons of “Endeavor”, “Shetland” and “Unforgotten.” And maybe a new season of “The Great British Baking Show.”

Other than that, I tried “The Morning News” but it is too agonizingly slow. There is only one Aaron Sorkin and no one else can deliver that kind of a show.

Hoping to find at least a few good shows for late Summer and Fall.
I highly recommend Holey Moley on ABC. Good, clean fun and very entertaining. Joe Tessitore and Rob Riggle are hilarious and the use of Steph Curry is perfect. With holes given the names like "The Pecker" and "Uranus", the conversation between Tessitore and Riggle is very funny. Can't wait to watch Season 4!!!

I highly recommend Holey Moley on ABC. Good, clean fun and very entertaining. Joe Tessitore and Rob Riggle are hilarious and the use of Steph Curry is perfect. With holes given the names like "The Pecker" and "Uranus", the conversation between Tessitore and Riggle is very funny. Can't wait to watch Season 4!!!
We watched the first 2 seasons and laughed hard -
Riggle and Tessitore are very funny together -
But it kinda worked it’s course with us

Unpopular opinion warning - westworld was never good
an older series worth watching :
Mr Robot
I’d disagree about westworld - thought season 1 was great but it almost shouldn’t have been more than 1 or 2 seasons. But I’ll watch seaso 4 regardless.

loved Mr Robot though. Would definitely like to watch it again knowing everything now

Peaky Blinders i've heard . My son called me and highly recommended . Irish mob stuff I think . I haven't had time to check it out . He really liked it . I trust him ...
Good show. Actually English mob with Irish last names. It gets everyone

I got the free trial month on Hulu to watch The Bear and Only Murders In The Building. I really liked both, especially “Murders.” I just finished the first season of Reservation Dogs, also on Hulu and also very good. It’s about 4 teens growing up on the Creek Indian Reservation in Oklahoma. The second season starts Wednesday night. The next episode of the final season of Better Call Saul airs tonight; Only Murders In The Building has a new episode tomorrow; and Reservation Dogs on Wednesday. That’s enough new TV for me for the week.

At $6.99 per month with commercials, I’m going to keep Hulu. Lots of good stuff: Justified. Vikings, Modern Family, etc.

I decided to watch "Inventing Anna" I'm 3 episodes in, it's just one season, supposedly a true story that I never heard of, it's pretty interesting because 3 episodes in you have no idea who the F this Anna is, Anna is played by Julia Garner, who played Ruth on Ozark, she's pretty good, I might not of realized it right away, because I never saw her in anything other than Ozark, so I was used to the hillbilly persona. It's like a white collar scam story.
Not to mention Ders from Workaholics! But Julia Garner’s accent in it is great. I finished it a few weeks ago. Not at the top of my favorite limited series (Mare of Easttown, Queen’s Gambit are the ones that stand out for me) but it wasn’t bad.

Reactions: Pitt79
Started watching the old man. With Bridges and Lithgow it should be a slam dunk but after a strong start, has become frustratingly boring. Waaayyyyy too slow moving and having a hard time believing a 70ish bridges could take trained killers in their prime.

Started watching the old man. With Bridges and Lithgow it should be a slam dunk but after a strong start, has become frustratingly boring. Waaayyyyy too slow moving and having a hard time believing a 70ish bridges could take trained killers in their prime.
Yep...heard the same thing! I watched the first episode and like to rack up weeks to I can roll through commercials. The Misses said it's gotten stale and boring.

Waiting for the third and final season of “Derry Girls,” which should be coming to Netflix this Fall,
I don't watch much tv, so my wife and I try to find one show we like to watch at a time. My daughters suggested this. Normally I'd have no interest in a show about teenage girls, but we took a vacation to Northern Ireland a few years ago and loved it so I thought I'd watch an episode. Now I'm hooked on it, one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. I need to use close captioning, though. Those are some heavy accents.

I started watching the second season of Your Honor last night with Bryan Cranston. Don't know where they are going to go with it.
I should probably give this a second chance. Watched the first four episodes of season 1. It was interesting but just felt a little too depressing.

Looking for recommendations.

Right now, the only series I watch are “Jeopardy”, “Better Call Saul”, which is ending in 3 more episodes and “Trying”, an excellent British show that just began its third season on Apple TV. (Highly recommended, but you must watch the first two seasons first.)

Waiting for the third and final season of “Derry Girls,” which should be coming to Netflix this Fall, and, hopefully, new seasons of “Endeavor”, “Shetland” and “Unforgotten.” And maybe a new season of “The Great British Baking Show.”

Other than that, I tried “The Morning News” but it is too agonizingly slow. There is only one Aaron Sorkin and no one else can deliver that kind of a show.

Hoping to find at least a few good shows for late Summer and Fall.
if you are into the British stuff...Latest incarnation of All Creatures Great and Small on PBS Masterpiece Theater and around the streamers.. Just a calming nice show...

I should probably give this a second chance. Watched the first four episodes of season 1. It was interesting but just felt a little too depressing.
I watched "Your Honor" - Season 2, Episode 1 last night. Yes, it's depressing, but given the subject matter, how can it not be?

I like it primarily because of Bryan Cranston. Some of the villainous roles are written like caricatures, but I'm able to overlook that.

I started watching the second season of Your Honor last night with Bryan Cranston. Don't know where they are going to go with it.

Man, I love Bryan Cranston, but that first season, that was one of the worst written series Ive ever seen. I didnt like any of it. I just started watching season 2 of hunters. I heard the Devils hour is good... but I havent seen it yet

I watched "Your Honor" - Season 2, Episode 1 last night. Yes, it's depressing, but given the subject matter, how can it not be?

I like it primarily because of Bryan Cranston. Some of the villainous roles are written like caricatures, but I'm able to overlook that.
I'm not sure how the story has progressed, but after four episodes it just felt like there wasn't a single character I could be sympathetic towards.

I'm not sure how the story has progressed, but after four episodes it just felt like there wasn't a single character I could be sympathetic towards.
I felt a bit of sympathy for the son/driver of the car. After him, nobody.

Man, I love Bryan Cranston, but that first season, that was one of the worst written series Ive ever seen. I didnt like any of it. I just started watching season 2 of hunters. I heard the Devils hour is good... but I havent seen it yet
I think the way it ended last season was a train wreck. And I am not talking about the very ending, but the trial of Carlo. No way would a judge be able to so overtly pull all of that off without question and censure.

This may not necessarily be considered TV, but we watched the premiere of Last of Us on HBO last night. All I knew about it was that it started as a video game. It stars Pedro Pascal from The Mandalorian and we thought it was pretty good for the first episode.

I binged justified recently. Really great acting and work g and Walton Goggins inhabits every role he takes.

If you are in to the oldies...try Perry Mason...the original B&W version. To me it was so interesting compare social customs to today. For example, Everyone smoked, the women all wore dresses to go with their pearls. Black faces were pretty scarce unless they were a servant. To me it was very eye-opening.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT