ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What’s Good Now On TV?

I don't watch much tv, so my wife and I try to find one show we like to watch at a time. My daughters suggested this. Normally I'd have no interest in a show about teenage girls, but we took a vacation to Northern Ireland a few years ago and loved it so I thought I'd watch an episode. Now I'm hooked on it, one of the funniest shows I've ever seen. I need to use close captioning, though. Those are some heavy accents.
One of the best shows I’ve seen in years. I now have seen all three seasons multiple times. When I don’t have to focus so much on understanding the dialogue (I use subtitles too) I see things I missed the first time.

It is one of the highest rated shows in Britain, but the creator, Lisa McGee, said from the beginning that it would only run 3 seasons and she kept to it. One thing I really like is that although the focus is on the teens, the adults aren’t caricatures. I loved the finale, but I think the absolutely best show was the finale of Season 2.

Just finished watching The White Lotus season 2 on HBO. It was excellent and I highly recommend.
While I think it was good I also think it was no where near as good as Season 1. I just couldn’t get into the storylines of Season 2. For me it was a bit of a letdown.

While I think it was good I also think it was no where near as good as Season 1. I just couldn’t get into the storylines of Season 2. For me it was a bit of a letdown.

Starting season one today. Doing it backwards.

Couldn’t disagree more
Season 1 bored me - I honestly didn’t even finish it .
Rich people are mean and entitled and treat the natives bad - we got it.
Season 2 was a far more captivating story

Couldn’t disagree more
Season 1 bored me - I honestly didn’t even finish it .
Rich people are mean and entitled and treat the natives bad - we got it.
Season 2 was a far more captivating story
I think Season 2 had plenty of “Rich people are mean and rich and treat the natives bad”.

I guess I just didn’t care for certain characters in Season 2.

I think Season 2 had plenty of “Rich people are mean and rich and treat the natives bad”.

I guess I just didn’t care for certain characters in Season 2.
But it had plenty of the natives using the guests as marks
Which I think was more interesting
Plus I love Aubrey plaza

I never saw Season 1, but Season 2 was very good.

I've watched the first three episodes of season one so far, and it's slower moving then season 2. At this point, I like season two better. It seems like they found their show making groove more so with season two, but the jury is still out.

As my daughter got onto her teens and we inevitably found it harder to ‘relate’ To each other, we found some common cause in weird pop things. One of those were quirky characters, which I’m not easily able to characterize but Asian-oriented on the fringe of anime, called Line Friends. She and I discovered their store off Times Square when in NYC one year and found them hilarious.

Netflix is now showing an animated series that was produced featuring the Line Friends characters and my daughter(now in college) and I re-bonded with this, watching the whole thing during the Deep freeze over Christmas while she was on holiday break. The series itself is actually called Brown and Friends. The shows are well animated, hilarious (to us anyway) and (again to us) very clever in that the stories and humor are very well convened, despite no definitive languages being spoken by the characters (being a “global” thing). It’s not a kid’s show, though it’s almost entirely clean and young(er) kids would also enjoy the characters and antics. The first episode is overly reliant on potty-humor but get past that one and it gets more clever 😄 Worth a shot as a family night thing…

Last edited:
Finished season one of The White Lotus. The first half was slow going but it really was great in the second half. The hotel manager character was phenomenal. Based on the first two seasons, I'd say it's one of the best shows ever.

Hunters season 2 just came out today on Prime.

Al Pacino stars in a bunch of modern day Nazi hunters. It's good.

Reactions: BVGPitt
The 4th season of Fauda is back on Netflix. If you aren’t familiar with it, the focus is on Israeli undercover cops who infiltrate suspected Arab terrorist groups.

I thought the first two seasons were very good but the third season was disappointing. Hopefully, they now have righted the ship.

Update: They definitely have righted the ship. I watched the first 4 episodes and they are terrific.

Last edited:
Looking for recommendations.

Right now, the only series I watch are “Jeopardy”, “Better Call Saul”, which is ending in 3 more episodes and “Trying”, an excellent British show that just began its third season on Apple TV. (Highly recommended, but you must watch the first two seasons first.)

Waiting for the third and final season of “Derry Girls,” which should be coming to Netflix this Fall, and, hopefully, new seasons of “Endeavor”, “Shetland” and “Unforgotten.” And maybe a new season of “The Great British Baking Show.”

Other than that, I tried “The Morning News” but it is too agonizingly slow. There is only one Aaron Sorkin and no one else can deliver that kind of a show.

Hoping to find at least a few good shows for late Summer and Fall.
Tulsa King on Paramount + . Much to my surprise, Stallone is really good and its well done.

Night Court is back in session tomorrow at 8 on NBC.

It doesn’t look very good. Main problem is they replaced Harry Anderson’s character with a really dull judge, IMO. And they were never going to be able to replicate the original (has that ever worked?).

Fleishman is in Trouble was good. Probably more interesting to me as a divorced single dad. Acting was great.

It doesn’t look very good. Main problem is they replaced Harry Anderson’s character with a really dull judge, IMO. And they were never going to be able to replicate the original (has that ever worked?).
This screams cancelled before season is over. I caught some of it and it is just not good.

Reactions: noelr
Sounds like it's a big ratings success.

For the first week. But there have been a lot of shows that started with good ratings and when people actually started watching them the ratings went into the tank. NBC had a built in audience because of the nostalgia factor for the original show, but what kind of ratings it's getting in week 8 or week 15 are a lot more important than the rating that it got in week 1.

Ok, I’m surprised that in this resurrected thread that no one has mentioned The Offer on Paramount+ about the making of the Godfather.

Reactions: BVGPitt
Welcome To Wrexham on FX. Documentary about the lower level Welsh soccer team purchased by Ryan Reynolds and Rob Mcelhenney (of It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia fame). You don’t have to be a soccer fan to enjoy it. I thought that it was extremely well done. Season 2 to start later this year.

Welcome To Wrexham on FX. Documentary about the lower level Welsh soccer team purchased by Ryan Reynolds and Rob Mcelhenney (of It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia fame). You don’t have to be a soccer fan to enjoy it. I thought that it was extremely well done. Season 2 to start later this year.
I’ll have to check it out. Very rarely have I been disappointed with something from FX.

This may not necessarily be considered TV, but we watched the premiere of Last of Us on HBO last night. All I knew about it was that it started as a video game. It stars Pedro Pascal from The Mandalorian and we thought it was pretty good for the first episode.

The director of The Last of Us also did Chernobyl which was one of my favorite mini-series of all time. It helps that TLOU is maybe the strongest video game script of all time. Tight, emotional, captivating scene. It's really, really good.

I haven't gotten to watch much of anything in the last year due to family commitments but I'm looking forward to that one.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I think I’ve officially moved into hate watch territory for Yellowstone. What started out engaging has become some of the laziest and most uninspired writing on TV. I’m just watching to see them lose the damn ranch.

1883 was outstanding though. So I’ll give 1923 a try.

Reactions: pittjas
I think I’ve officially moved into hate watch territory for Yellowstone. What started out engaging has become some of the laziest and most uninspired writing on TV. I’m just watching to see them lose the damn ranch.

1883 was outstanding though. So I’ll give 1923 a try.
I’m with you, this last season of Yellowstone has been uninspiring and boring.

Reactions: Ski11585
I watched the First 4 Seasons of Yellowstone last Fall and the first part of Season 5. It is ok, but just becomes too much like a Rocky Mountain Ranch Soap Opera at times, like Jamie’s Story now with the Woman, who is using him for her own agenda in the land battle over John Dutton’s Ranch.

I just finished watching 1883(Yellowstone Origin Story), and really enjoyed it, as that Show was an actual Western. Nice Cameos in an early episode by Tom Hanks and Billy Bob Thornton. I do not have Paramont+, so will not see 1923 for now, although watched the 1st Episode, which was shown on Paramount Network. Early reviews were not great, but if by the end of the Season, it has strong reviews overall, then I will check it out eventually.

I think Taylor Sheridan is spreading himself to thin, but consensus seems to be that the Mayor of Kingstown has been his best Series so far, although the 2nd Season is still in progress, but have heard a few takes on it being better than even the 1st Season, which had great reviews. I read Sheridan has plans for 6666 Series based on the Ranch in Texas, and also a 2nd Season for 1883, where thought I read that the focus will be on the Thomas Character, but not certain. The Actress, who played Elsa, the Daughter, was the star of 1883, although her Diary Type Ramblings about her life as told through narration would at times be annoying. Sam Elliot was also great, but this type of Series was a perfect fit for his talent,

Speaking of Sheridan’s Series, I did catch the first 2 episodes of Tulsa King, it was alright, but not a Series I would pay Paramount+ Streaming Service to watch. Also, not really much of a Sylvester Stallone Fan, as his acting ability is limiting. Just too much Mafia Stereotypes in the First 2 episodes I did see.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT