ADVERTISEMENT

OT: What are you watching on TV

PhPanther2

Redshirt
Apr 29, 2018
With the NBA/NHL playoffs over, I have been struggling to find anything to watch on TV. Baseball is a boring sport in person and even worse on TV.... i’m struggling till September!

I’m not a fan of netflix and don’t pay for hbo. Is there anything on basic cable that you all could recommend?

Definitely a tough time of the year. I’ve been watching all the World Cup games and will be watching the Tour de France as well. The flat stages and time trials are boring, but the mountain stages are great drama.

The 2nd season of Snowfall starts in a few weeks, season 1 was decent. Most of the stuff I watch ended in the last couple weeks.

Its cliche but there is never much on TV, at least on basic cable. There is good stuff on streaming services but those require subscriptions. I find far more interesting stuff to watch on Youtube these days.

Watching Doc Martin on Netflix. Using someone else's subscription. Cost is zero.

There was a mini series on HBO titled the Pacific about 8 years ago. Really really really good show. Also Band of Brothers mini series which I guess would be about 15 years old at this point was also great.

Reactions: hansfam10
got into a show called "Animal Kingdom", season 2 or 3 just started, pretty good show. I am waiting on "Ozarks" to come back for season 2 on Netflix.. two great shows IMO..

Reactions: BVGPitt
Go to the local library! Movies, books on audio, and computers and you can down load an app to get books on mobile devises. Only actually need to go in person if you want to hold a real old fashioned book on your hands.

got into a show called "Animal Kingdom", season 2 or 3 just started, pretty good show. I am waiting on "Ozarks" to come back for season 2 on Netflix.. two great shows IMO..
You are not old enough to remember the original "Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom" back in the day on right before "wonderful world of disney" on Sunday nights. circa 1972. Hosted by an old dude named Marlin Perikns...Best damn ad segues ever. Jim Fowler was the guy who did all the nasty grunt work in the field while Marlin narrated. Always, before commercial Marlin would go with "Like Jim, you might find yourself attacked by the feral Nigerian Wombat, that's why you need the lasting coverage of Mutual of Omaha"....good times, good times..

Reactions: BVGPitt
Feed the pig and watch Billions on Starz. Some of the best characters on tv in a long time.

Love Billions

(On Showtime...not Starz)

Paul Giamatti.....best actor in a generation

Btw.....on Starz....check out Boss with Kelsey Grammar

Older series but enjoyable.

Love Billions

(On Showtime...not Starz)

Paul Giamatti.....best actor in a generation

Btw.....on Starz....check out Boss with Kelsey Grammar

Older series but enjoyable.
AH, yes ... it is on Showtime -- thanks for the assist! It's usually my late-night with one-eye open show that I get sucked into causing even more sleep deprivation because it's so damn good. There are so many great one-liners on that show! I will have to check out Boss, never watched it.

With the NBA/NHL playoffs over, I have been struggling to find anything to watch on TV. Baseball is a boring sport in person and even worse on TV.... i’m struggling till September!

I’m not a fan of netflix and don’t pay for hbo. Is there anything on basic cable that you all could recommend?
Just curious - why aren't you a fan of Netflix?

AH, yes ... it is on Showtime -- thanks for the assist! It's usually my late-night with one-eye open show that I get sucked into causing even more sleep deprivation because it's so damn good. There are so many great one-liners on that show! I will have to check out Boss, never watched it.

Re: Boss.....

Kelsey Grammar plays a corrupt and ruthless mayor of Chicago

Typecast perfectly....and im afraid not too far from the truth about politics in Chicago.

"The city that works".....

Just curious - why aren't you a fan of Netflix?

I’m old school. I also don’t use the dvr unless i’m going to miss a game. Shows were meant to be watched once a week and talked about during the work week. That’s all gone.

The Americans ended its flawless run a few weeks ago. I'll miss it. I think Atlanta's second season just ended, that was also excellent. I have no idea what the process is for writing that show, but the surrealism/absurdism make it one of the funniest shows I've seen all year even though it's not a comedy per se. They're both on FX, not sure if that counts as basic cable.

The Good Place was on NBC and was great.

I’m old school. I also don’t use the dvr unless i’m going to miss a game. Shows were meant to be watched once a week and talked about during the work week. That’s all gone.
I hear you. Times are changing though and great content has moved.

I continue to push back on the whole "bingeing" thing because sometimes what you watch demands time to process. Rolling immediately to the next episode not only robs you of the ability to process but also to talk about it with others. And not sure about the rest of you, but life intervenes and inevitably I scramble to "catch up" where I have left off and the impact of the show is sometimes lost.

Good case in point: Netflix dropped a show about the Erie pizza delivery man/PNC bank robber from 15 years ago, "Evil Genius". It is 4 episodes. Fantastic documentary. I watched it the evening it dropped, all 4 or so hours. Flash forward, we were out to dinner with friends a few weeks later when someone mentioned it. I swear to God, in that short space of time I had forgotten many of the details that were relevant to the conversation. I wasn't the only one. I miss the social camaraderie of easily sharing relevant pop culture viewed from our TV's.

But - times are changing and so must we.

I hear you. Times are changing though and great content has moved.

I continue to push back on the whole "bingeing" thing because sometimes what you watch demands time to process. Rolling immediately to the next episode not only robs you of the ability to process but also to talk about it with others. And not sure about the rest of you, but life intervenes and inevitably I scramble to "catch up" where I have left off and the impact of the show is sometimes lost.

Good case in point: Netflix dropped a show about the Erie pizza delivery man/PNC bank robber from 15 years ago, "Evil Genius". It is 4 episodes. Fantastic documentary. I watched it the evening it dropped, all 4 or so hours. Flash forward, we were out to dinner with friends a few weeks later when someone mentioned it. I swear to God, in that short space of time I had forgotten many of the details that were relevant to the conversation. I wasn't the only one. I miss the social camaraderie of easily sharing relevant pop culture viewed from our TV's.

But - times are changing and so must we.
I know the OP's point, but none of yinz watching the Bucs? I mean they have a chance against the Mets.

Westworld on HBO

Halt and Catch fire on AMC

The Staircase on Netflix

Westworld on HBO

Halt and Catch fire on AMC

The Staircase on Netflix

Started watching the Staircase last week and I’ve been sucked in, Very well done documentary. I don’t know, maybe it is just me but season two of Westworld has disappointed me for some reason.

Reactions: daminals76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT