ADVERTISEMENT

Pat Forde weighs in on the Stallings hire, and it's not good

Take his last 6 years and the implosion becomes very vivid.

Not sure how including in a team that won its Conference and earned a 1-seed will make an implosion appear more vivid, but hey, do you.

I know you're pretty dead set on ignoring the reports and proclaiming that Pitt is a spectacular job that only a fool would turn down.

No, it isn't. Imploding would be missing the tourney 4 of 5 years. Going on sanctions. Losing 18 games consistently.

Saying they have imploded is dumb.

Fine, nitpick the syntax if you like.

The dude lost his mojo. He knew it. Everybody knew it. So he skipped town.

Not sure how including in a team that won its Conference and earned a 1-seed will make an implosion appear more vivid, but hey, do you.

I know you're pretty dead set on ignoring the reports and proclaiming that Pitt is a spectacular job that only a fool would turn down.

Get a pencil and ruler. Draw a dot representing Pitt's 2011 performance, however you choose to define it. Then draw a dot for 2016. Lastly, connect the dots.

Now, is the slope positive or negative... and does including 2011 make it steeper or not?

Can't believe I need to walk people through this, but I guess it's needed sometimes.

He is clueless on baseball. Last year he was praising the Padres for trying to win...the Padres are going to be bad for at least 5 years because of the idiotic moves they made.

It's really bad. Was just killing the Pirates early last season for trading Snider even though everything was pointed to extreme luck in his start to the year. Ultimately muted him when he retweeted something about the Pirates passing on Schwarber to draft Meadows (Schwarber wasn't eligible to be drafted in Meadows' draft, and was taken 4th overall in a year when the Pirates picked 24th).

He's just really bad with basic facts and has a very neanderthal understanding of the game.

Get a pencil and ruler. Draw a dot representing Pitt's 2011 performance, however you choose to define it. Then draw a dot for 2016. Lastly, connect the dots.

Now, is the slope positive or negative... and does including 2011 make it steeper or not?

Can't believe I need to walk people through this, but I guess it's needed sometimes.

LOL I love how people will scream "body of work!" until they're blue in the face when it suits their arguments but then when it comes to Dixon it's all about parsing trend lines and playing hypotheticals.

By that logic, how is the program compared to 2011-12? Oh my god, Dixon took them from the CBI to a team that averaged 10 wins in-Conference and 3 out of 4 NCAA Tournaments. And this is after losing Ashton Gibbs after the 2011-12 season and seeing Steven Adams leave after one year. That's incredible!

Reactions: levance2
LOL I love how people will scream "body of work!" until they're blue in the face when it suits their arguments but then when it comes to Dixon it's all about parsing trend lines and playing hypotheticals.

By that logic, how is the program compared to 2011-12? Oh my god, Dixon took them from the CBI to a team that averaged 10 wins in-Conference and 3 out of 4 NCAA Tournaments. And this is after losing Ashton Gibbs after the 2011-12 season and seeing Steven Adams leave after one year. That's incredible!

The trend line was to simplify it for you, since it felt like you needed it.

I never screamed "body of work", and nobody is saying Dixon's body of work was bad. In fact, it was really good. I think you're arguing past me and with the wall behind me.. or something.

Many facets of the program were trending down in recent years. Dixon didn't appear able (or more likely willing) to come up with the answer. Dixon felt he needed to walk away from it. No hard feelings. I don't have any hard feelings against Dixon, in fact I'm grateful for what he did here. Amazingly my criticism of the Stallings hire is continually spun back to Dixon, though. I need to do a better job steering clear of it, or at least clearly differentiating.. apparently.

The trend line was to simplify it for you, since it felt like you needed it.

I never screamed "body of work", and nobody is saying Dixon's body of work was bad. In fact, it was really good. I think you're arguing past me and with the wall behind me.. or something.

Many facets of the program were trending down in recent years. Dixon didn't appear able (or more likely willing) to come up with the answer. Dixon felt he needed to walk away from it. No hard feelings. I don't have any hard feelings against Dixon, in fact I'm grateful for what he did here. Amazingly my criticism of the Stallings hire is continually spun back to Dixon, though. I need to do a better job steering clear of it, or at least clearly differentiating.. apparently.

The trend line is utterly useless. That's my point.

Body of work is what matters.

Again, if people think that the wheels were falling off with 3 Tourneys in 4 years, an average of 10 wins in the ACC, and almost an entire roster returning -- THAT is why coaches were killing this job and had no interest.

Reactions: OriginalEther
This is more or less exactly what college coaches were telling people when asked about their interest in the job.

Whether you believe it or not, that matters very little. All that matters is how the people who will be courted here perceive it.

Hell, you have literally one timeframe where you can frame Dixon's tenure as a failure (ironically, it's a different timeframe than the one used last year as the optimum time period to evaluate a coach by, although it's the same posters who are using the arbitrary endpoints to suit their needs) and there are people who are dumb enough to cling to it and go down kicking and screaming about it being relevant.

Any sort of criticisms of the fans and (espcially) the Pittsburgh media are totally warranted, IMO.
There's no proof at all for your claim in the fird
Well, kind of yeah. Pitt is irrelevant nationally in football, and as per the view of coaches a top 50-60 basketball program, that Jamie Dixon kept at a top 20 level. Without a lights out basketball coach, the basketball program will join the football program--entirely off the national radar. That's why it was so critical to hire an up and comer. Yeah he might have failed, but if they fell to like the 110th best program, so what? After about 35 it doesn't matter at all.
Dixon made the Pitt job look somewhat unattractive because he was a pathetic recruiter. Any coach with a personality can recruit at Pitt.

Reactions: gary2
Out of curiosity, though... is it Kevin Stallings' body of work or his recent trend in performance that has you most excited about his potential to be a bridge to the next Pitt coach?

Out of curiosity, though... is it Kevin Stallings' body of work or his recent trend in performance that has you most excited about his potential to be a bridge to the next Pitt coach?

Haven't looked at his trends, although I'd assume they're similar to Dixon. Can look either good or bad depending on which year you choose to begin with. My guess is he makes the Dance like 50% of the time and keeps Pitt from joining Wake Forest and Boston College in the basement of the ACC. Dixon is spotting him a solid jumping off point for next season.

Step down from Dixon, step up from what was likely if they went down to the low-major ranks. Still should be enough to show that Pitt isn't destined to be the bottom feeder it's always been outside of Dixon's time here.

Haven't looked at his trends. My guess is he makes the Dance like 50% of the time and keeps Pitt from joining Wake Forest and Boston College in the basement of the ACC.

Step down from Dixon, step up from what was likely if they went down to the low-major ranks. Still should be enough to show that Pitt isn't destined to be the bottom feeder it's always been outside of Dixon's time here.
Pitt has always been a bottom feeder outside of Dixon's time here?? this disqualifies you and all of your posts on the subject..

Reactions: sherepower
Pitt has always been a bottom feeder outside of Dixon's time here??

Looking at pretty much the entire 60 year period before Dixon -- yeah, that's certainly not the exception. Complete and total non-factor on a national level, and usually a non-factor in Conference.

Haven't looked at his trends, although I'd assume they're similar to Dixon. Can look either good or bad depending on which year you choose to begin with. My guess is he makes the Dance like 50% of the time and keeps Pitt from joining Wake Forest and Boston College in the basement of the ACC. Dixon is spotting him a solid jumping off point for next season.

If we wanted to hire a guy to make the Dance 50% of the time, there was a huge number of candidates who likely could have made that happen... many younger with more upside.

Stallings' all-important body of work includes 7 NCAAT appearances in 17 years. Feeling good about that?

But you've got one thing right... Dixon spotted him a team that's good for at least two games in the NCAA tournament next season. God help him if next year is not in the upper 50% of the very tame expectations you've set for him.

By the way...

“When I first met him and we talked, one of first questions he asked me was about the lay of the land, and I asked him, ‘Why Pitt?’” Barnes said. “He said, ‘Can you get to Final Four at Pitt?’ I said, ‘Absolutely,’ and he said ‘I’m in.’ That’s very, very important to him and it’s important to us.”

So by Barnes' own standards... we should expect more from Stallings.

"Can you get to a Final Four at Pitt?"

"Yes."

"Awe shucks.. I'm in! I really wanna go!"

Poor guy, he wants a trip so bad now that he's in the twilight of his career. I don't know about anybody else, but I'm really pulling for the sorry wet fart.

If we wanted to hire a guy to make the Dance 50% of the time, there was a huge number of candidates who likely could have made that happen... many younger with more upside.

Stallings' all-important body of work includes 7 NCAAT appearances in 17 years. Feeling good about that?

But you've got one thing right... Dixon spotted him a team that's good for at least two games in the NCAA tournament next season. God help him if next year is not in the upper 50% of the very tame expectations you've set for him.

I think 7 NCAAT in 17 years at Vanderbilt is fine. Not great, but it's not like he's putting those results up at a place like Indiana or UCLA or even an NC State. He's been more successful than the guys at Stanford since Montgomery left, as an example of other limited programs academically.

There are certainly younger coaches who have a solid chance to get Pitt to the Dance 50% of the time, but every single report out there has been that they all said no -- so at that point what are you going to do? You either go dumpster diving at the low-major level or you get a low-risk, low-upside guy to keep things somewhat going and then try again at a later date. (Or, apparently, you dig your heels in and say that all of the reports of coaches saying no are patently false but I'm trying to operate in reality instead of Fantasyland).

FWIW, I would have had the same expectations for Enfield that I have for Stallings. I didn't love Enfield much, either.

I also won't ever hold any coach to a set number of March wins. Too much randomness. I'm not going to feel good about Pitt if they go 17-15 next year, sneak in as a Last Four In, and make the Sweet 16 or better. I'm not going to feel bad about Pitt if they go 30-1, get a 1-seed, and get knocked out in the Round of 32. Weird stuff happens in March -- we see it every year.

Looking at pretty much the entire 60 year period before Dixon -- yeah, that's certainly not the exception. Complete and total non-factor on a national level, and usually a non-factor in Conference.
You've left the biased area and are now officially standing in whack job land. Either do some research or start up a sabermetrics thread justifying Sean Rodriguez post.

So here's the nuance between your stance and mine, as far as I can tell:

1) You take the "Pitt job sucks" narrative at face value. I don't. I believe the search was not conducted in good faith for a number of well-documented and logical reasons which I'm guessing you haven't paid much attention to. Fine, you take your "reality" and I'll take mine.

2) You don't want to over-emphasize March wins. That's actually very reasonable. I also don't think we need a concrete number. All I need, personally, to support a coach is evidence that March winning is possible... at least once in a while... in a major way. Evidence of that can been outperforming seed once in a while... a deep run as high seed a couple of times... or even a flukey George Mason type of Final Four. I just need some evidence.

Dixon offered ample evidence that he's a March-pants-crapper. I have no doubt he'll get TCU to the tournament once in a while. I have huge doubts that he'll ever win more than one tourney game with them in a single season.

Stallings has taken an also-ran program to the Sweet 16 twice. That's not bad. Not Amazing. It doesn't offer much clear hope of improvement over Dixon.

I think this is a good point for us to shake hands and call it a day.

Reactions: Pittbaseball11
You've left the biased area and are now officially standing in whack job land. Either do some research or start up a sabermetrics thread justifying Sean Rodriguez post.

Feel free to enlighten me, but in all the research that I've done and the games I've experienced, I have absolutely nothing that indicates notable periods of relevance on the part of Pitt's basketball program. Just random blips here and there.

No different than the football program. Random period of success, lots of mediocrity and irrelevance surrounding it.

-Im enjoying this 10 fold because something is going to give this year. Either Stallings loses and the lion boosters and fanbase is going to rip into Barnes and come after him hard for the hire. Or Stallings wins and Dixon and Knight look like underachieving losers. One way or the other someone is going to win, someone is going to lose. Someone is going to get praised, someone is going to get scorned. Someone is going to look smart, someone is going to look like a complete dumb ass. Someone is going to win, someone is going to have egg all over their face. I enjoy these articles coming out and hope they come out hourly instead of daily, because the more gas that is thrown into the fire, the stakes are clearly getting raised on what is going to happen.
I'm

Feel free to enlighten me, but in all the research that I've done and the games I've experienced, I have absolutely nothing that indicates notable periods of relevance on the part of Pitt's basketball program. Just random blips here and there.

No different than the football program. Random period of success, lots of mediocrity and irrelevance surrounding it.
Pitt basketball existed before Jamie Dixon. To even think for one second that he put pitt on the map of the college basketball world makes me want to crash my car in the oncoming traffic

How is saying Pitt was irrelevant in basketball pre howls from and Dixon whack job land.

They absolutely were.

Pitt basketball existed before Jamie Dixon. To even think for one second that he put pitt on the map of the college basketball world makes me want to crash my car in the oncoming traffic

That's not really the enlightenment I was looking for, considering a little bit of research was all I should have needed to see the light. I'm assuming you have something more substantive that I overlooked. Or was I just supposed to see that, in a literal sense, Pitt basketball existed prior to Howland/Dixon coming in?

I mean, I was going to games before those guys got here so I didn't need to see it for myself on the internet or in a media guide.

Pitt existed. But overall they stunk, and wee irrelevant.

Here are the facts. In the last 15 years, Pitt has 13 tourney appearances. In the previous 60, they had 13.

Now you may want to say that isn't fair, that the NIT used to be the measuring stick.Pitt only has 9 of those.

By every measure, Pitt was an irrelevant program until the last 15 years. Howland broke through, but Dixon solidified Pitt as a relevant player on the national stage.

Here are the facts. In the last 15 years, Pitt has 13 tourney appearances. In the previous 60, they had 13.

Now you may want to say that isn't fair, that the NIT used to be the measuring stick.Pitt only has 9 of those.

By every measure, Pitt was an irrelevant program until the last 15 years. Howland broke through, but Dixon solidified Pitt as a relevant player on the national stage.
you overestimate Pitt hoops on a national stage.

you overestimate Pitt hoops on a national stage.

LOL!!!

So if I am overestimating them over the last 13 years, with multiple big east titles, 11 tourney appearances, number one rankings and seeds, where exactly would that put them before howland.

You just 100% contradicted yourself.

So if I am overestimating them over the last 13 years, with multiple big east titles, 11 tourney appearances, number one rankings and seeds, where exactly would that put them before howland

Existing, but really only in a literal sense for all intents and purposes. So he's been pretty consistent, actually.

Pitt basketball did indeed exist before Howland/Dixon.

Nope.....why didn't he take that "dream job" previously?? When he sais a year ago that he wanted to stay here until he retired....was that proof?? Something happened in the interim.....Barnes.

More like TCU joined the Big 12 about 4 years ago...no way was Dixon going to coach a MWC team based in Texas.

Exactly. Barnes' biggest fault was talking about not caring about whether or not he won the press conference, and then trying to win the press conference by hyping up the candidate he would get. He clearly thought he was going to have access to some impressive names.

Based on the names that surfaced -- and then either totally disappeared or were rumored to have flat out said "no" -- he was basically picking between someone like Stallings and coaches like Beard, Dooley, etc..

Pitt isn't in a place where they can be taking a flyer on some guy who's never come close to running a P5 program. It's already viewed as a wasteland of a job whose successes are solely tied to Dixon -- if they grab some low-major guy with helium and he falls flat on his face (a VERY real possibility) then every bit of improvement this job has seen over the past decade is gone.

Stallings compared to a low-major shot in the dark is a no-brainer, IMO.

Low-major coaches are like hotshot A-ball prospects in baseball or freshmen in college basketball. Their flaws and shortcomings haven't been exposed on the biggest stage yet, so they're viewed as guys having limitless potential who just need a chance.
That's where I don't completely agree with you--some of the best come from those mid-major ranks, and we hired a gem from NAU in Howland. Personally, I'd rather take the risk and hire the best one of those we could get. maybe take a little longer and work a little harder at finding the right guy. I don't think the goal was ever to maintain the status quo, which had become lackluster. Stallings has a long track record of mediocrity so the die is more or less cast. Like everyone else, I hope the the change of scenery works out for all involved, but I am skeptical that it will work out that way.

One thing I continue to belie strongly, and that's that we were going nowhere any time soon with Dixon at the helm. He let this thing get away from him and showed no signs of getting it back on track, so change wasn't the worst thing in the world--but this change, i have to admit, i never saw coming. I fully expected better.

The notion that we need a "bridge" hire seems incredibly stupid to me.

It's a "wasteland" today. But after a few years of Stallings, oh boy.. we'll have proven to the world that Pitt is truly special.

Here's a bridge I say we should build... how about we just bridge straight from January to September and eliminate the wait for the one Pitt revenue sport that hired correctly... the risky, up-and-comer Pat Narduzzi.
I agree with you--just hiring a guy to prevent the wheels frOm falling off, and hopefully set us up better for the next guy, that doesn't fly. No way that;s what Barnes intended with this hire either.

The trend line is utterly useless. That's my point.

Body of work is what matters.

Again, if people think that the wheels were falling off with 3 Tourneys in 4 years, an average of 10 wins in the ACC, and almost an entire roster returning -- THAT is why coaches were killing this job and had no interest.
You mean 3 tourneys in 5 years--with a CBI and a NIT rounding out the 5. The last 5 years have not been impressive. Barely making the tournament by beating 11 absolute patsies and going around .500 in the league is no way to fly.

the roster that's returning is one of the problems. Not much quality there, and lots of big holes at key spots--like capable backcourt scorers and a legit bigs. No experience at PG. The product of years of inadequate recruiting. The outlook was not rosy for next year. The guy in the best position to know that is Dixon, and he left under his own steam. Do you really think he would have done that if he thought his returning roster was capable of big things?

Reactions: singregardless
great post..

how bout his own words saying he went to his dream job? Wouldn't that be proof?

Or respected posters like Dt Pitt stating he wasn't forced out.

Or respected contributors like Matt Steinbrink saying he wasn't.

It doesn't matter. Again, people are dif
More or less, this is where my opinion has ended up on the matter.

The only point of yours I wish to question is this: "He was the 7th highest paid coach in the NCAA we couldn't justify paying him anymore."

Did you mean "any more" or "anymore" as it is written? If it's the former, than I do indeed agree.

Poor grammar on my part, my apologies

It's a horrible option. The notion of needing to take risks to win is incredibly stupid. You're looking at taking a shot on a guy whose best case realistic scenario is Kevin Stallings or Jamie Dixon. Again, a lack of exposed flaws does not equal a lack of flaws. It just means they haven't been victimized 10x a year by Pitino, Williams, Krzyzewski, Bennett, and Boeheim.

Stallings should be moderately successful here. That should hopefully be enough to boost the job's appeal up a bit to the next guy.

They are much closer to being Wake Forest, Boston College, and Georgia Tech than they are to being anybody in the upper tier of the ACC. They can't afford for the coach immediately succeeding Dixon to see the whole thing implode.
Back at it i see. Dude your friggen relentless. Pitt has had 15 years of success. 4 with Howland. So again your full of shit. Saying Pitt's success is only tied to Dixon.

Take a hike. Your obviously not a Pitt fan

Reactions: Delpanther
You mean 3 tourneys in 5 years--with a CBI and a NIT rounding out the 5. The last 5 years have not been impressive. Barely making the tournament by beating 11 absolute patsies and going around .500 in the league is no way to fly.

the roster that's returning is one of the problems. Not much quality there, and lots of big holes at key spots--like capable backcourt scorers and a legit bigs. No experience at PG. The product of years of inadequate recruiting. The outlook was not rosy for next year. The guy in the best position to know that is Dixon, and he left under his own steam. Do you really think he would have done that if he thought his returning roster was capable of big things?
Dont argue with this troll. He is not a Pitt fan. He has NO IDEA who wanted the Pitt job. The fact he continues his agenda saying nobody wanted the job. Screams a moron

Back at it i see. Dude your friggen relentless. Pitt has had 15 years of success. 4 with Howland. So again your full of shit. Saying Pitt's success is only tied to Dixon.

Take a hike. Your obviously not a Pitt fan

If you want to count Howland's 4 years, then it's 17 years. But they weren't all that good his first 2 years. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

But then, I'm sure you only started following college hoops around 2003 or so.

If you want to count Howland's 4 years, then it's 17 years. But they weren't all that good his first 2 years. So I'm not sure what you're getting at.

But then, I'm sure you only started following college hoops around 2003 or so.
Nope. Ive followed Pitt hoops when we had Clyde Vaughn. Charles Smith, D. Gore, Jerome Lane, Brian Shorter, Bobby Martin and many others. Funny thing is Ralph Willard's first recruiting class was a Top 5 in the country.

So your right. Nobody wants a Pitt job. Because its impossible to recruit here. Your amazing

Reactions: Delpanther
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT