ADVERTISEMENT

Penn State opens -19 vs Pitt

This thread is kind of surprising in how many people don't understand how a betting line works. The goal it get an equal amount of money (or something close to equal) on each team. That way, Vegas wins no matter which team actually wins against the spread. Vegas would set a line at 100 points or 500 points if it thought that was what would get even money on each side.

Reactions: jomouli23
This thread is kind of surprising in how many people don't understand how a betting line works. The goal it get an equal amount of money (or something close to equal) on each team. That way, Vegas wins no matter which team actually wins against the spread. Vegas would set a line at 100 points or 500 points if it thought that was what would get even money on each side.

Actually not how it works in Vegas, for a local bookie maybe but not in Nevada. Vegas books to faces, someone like you and I can bet whatever we want and the line won't move. A sharp can bet a much smaller amount and they will fall all over themselves moving the number.

Equal money on each side is no longer attainable with the proliferation of halftime, in game and parlay card betting. Books are happy to have lopsided money on the sides bet by squares like Floyd Mayweather and other big money donks.

Reactions: psugisher
uh??? pitt opened as 9 point favorites... and did you just say fans dont have an impact on the line??? That is how the lines move is based on bets. If vegas is intelligent of course they make this game a huge spread, get the cult to put money down, then as the game gets close and the real knowledgeable gamblers put money down the margin closes.
My point is if lines were popularity contest Pitt would not have opened 9 point favorite. Fans of each team has little impact on the line. The majority of money wager on games is not from fans it is from gambler who just like sports gamblers.

It's a rivalry game, whether PissU fans want to admit it or not. Anything can happen and probably will. The one thing we have going for us is that we have the better coach, and that goes a long way to getting a win. We have a of question marks on both sides of the ball, but when they play those nitwits, that may be equalized.

If they happen to win the game this time, it will be the first time they've beaten Pitt in either major sport in a long, long time. I may be wrong because I don't pay much attention to a bunch of perverts in the middle of nowhere. But I really don't remember the last time PissU beat Pitt in football or basketball. I hope we keep it that way.

I never post on here but I keep seeing this posted on here by Pitt fans ... why do you guys constantly think you have some much better coach? Narduzzi has a record of 16-10 (61.5 %). Franklin has a record of 49-30 (62.0%). So what measurement are you using to justify that Narduzzi is this much better coach?

I never post on here but I keep seeing this posted on here by Pitt fans ... why do you guys constantly think you have some much better coach? Narduzzi has a record of 16-10 (61.5 %). Franklin has a record of 49-30 (62.0%). So what measurement are you using to justify that Narduzzi is this much better coach?

The number of times Duzz has done something as lame as this:

james-franklin-were-lion.jpg

I think it's because they're Pitt fans? I think it's a little early to judge Narduzzi and probably Franklin too. Franklin at Vandy did a pretty good job in a tough conference. And now he's won a conference championship his 3rd year at PSU. As far as accomplishments, I'd put Franklin ahead. 3rd year for Narduzzi coming up.. I'd hope to see some drastic improvements on defense if Narduzzi is truly a defensive wizard. Not sure how much credit goes to Narduzzi for the offense last year as Canada seemed to be the spark, but who knows if it was him or a good group of experienced offensive players? Is Narduzzi going to continue to rely on a transfer qb every year or is he going to develop one within the program? I would say Narduzzi outcoached Franklin last year not showing anything in week 1 and then showcased the whole playbook in week 2. We made adjustments that worked but it was too late. Don't think a veteran PSU team will be caught by surprise again.

I think it's because they're Pitt fans? I think it's a little early to judge Narduzzi and probably Franklin too. Franklin at Vandy did a pretty good job in a tough conference. And now he's won a conference championship his 3rd year at PSU. As far as accomplishments, I'd put Franklin ahead. 3rd year for Narduzzi coming up.. I'd hope to see some drastic improvements on defense if Narduzzi is truly a defensive wizard. Not sure how much credit goes to Narduzzi for the offense last year as Canada seemed to be the spark, but who knows if it was him or a good group of experienced offensive players? Is Narduzzi going to continue to rely on a transfer qb every year or is he going to develop one within the program? I would say Narduzzi outcoached Franklin last year not showing anything in week 1 and then showcased the whole playbook in week 2. We made adjustments that worked but it was too late. Don't think a veteran PSU team will be caught by surprise again.

If you think your guy did a great job at Vanderbilt, you might want to look at that record again; this time compared to teams with winning records.

I think you'll find that those who are not PSU fans will agree he's a good recruiter. I'd save the good coach stuff for your board.

Reactions: Panther Parrothead
Well said. Last years Penn State team will more than likely be the least talented we face in our series, that doesn't mean they will be better. What concerns me this year:

Last year, we had a veteran Oline going against a young Dline. Roles are reversed this year

Last year, we had a stud oline. We have questions this year. O'Neil? Bookser? Loss of left side of the line

Last year, we had the experienced qb. Roles reversed

Their D was young last year and had 2 key injuries. This year they are experienced. We replace our LB's and DT's with inexperience

They return 9 of 11 starters this year on offense, one of which was a liability for the most part on a offense that put points up in bunches towards the end of the year on a top 10 team in the second year of a new offense

We replaced our O coordinator

No one is saying we cannot win but a double digit spread is logical when you consider everything. The game will be tough to win

Looks like Pitt doesn't stand a chance. Just the way I like it!

Last edited:
Reactions: Swervin27
Pitt will get boat raced followed by several local media articles squashing Pitt and defensive 'guru' Narduzzi while mentioning 100k several times and concluding with a reference to Joe.
Last year there was one article on 'bringing back the rivalry' after Pitt won.
How's that?

The area that PItt will be very good again if healthy is OL. Watching the nits last year the DL was pushed all over the field. Brown QB is key of course in using the play action to balance the attack. Moss and Ollison will attack the nits big time. Ball control with a much improved Pitt D who knows.

Pitt will get boat raced followed by several local media articles squashing Pitt and defensive 'guru' Narduzzi while mentioning 100k several times and concluding with a reference to Joe.
Last year there was one article on 'bringing back the rivalry' after Pitt won.
How's that?

Sucks! That sucks!

If you think your guy did a great job at Vanderbilt, you might want to look at that record again; this time compared to teams with winning records.

I think you'll find that those who are not PSU fans will agree he's a good recruiter. I'd save the good coach stuff for your board.

What would you call the job he did at Vandy? Vandy goes 2-10, 2-10 the two years before Franklin gets there, then goes 6-7, 9-4 and 9-4 at Vanderbilt.. nobody wins games there.. then goes to PSU and wins a conference championship the first season with full scholarships. Recruiting is a part of coaching.. no? Pretty big part at most schools.. Certainly won't call him a great coach at this point and I question his coaching decisions frequently, but it's a results oriented business. And the results to this point are what they are.. As previously questioned by another Nitter.. why is Narduzzi presumed to be a much better coach than Franklin at this point? I'm open to actual reasons and what Franklin did at Vanderbilt isn't exactly the most convincing evidence.

What would you call the job he did at Vandy? Vandy goes 2-10, 2-10 the two years before Franklin gets there, then goes 6-7, 9-4 and 9-4 at Vanderbilt.. nobody wins games there.. then goes to PSU and wins a conference championship the first season with full scholarships. Recruiting is a part of coaching.. no? Pretty big part at most schools.. Certainly won't call him a great coach at this point and I question his coaching decisions frequently, but it's a results oriented business. And the results to this point are what they are.. As previously questioned by another Nitter.. why is Narduzzi presumed to be a much better coach than Franklin at this point? I'm open to actual reasons and what Franklin did at Vanderbilt isn't exactly the most convincing evidence.

It hurts but I have to agree with you regarding Vandy. Winning 6 games there, no matter who they beat, is the sign of a great coaching job.
Franklin has established two things with me. One he is a great recruiter. Two he hired an outstanding OC. If that's all it takes you have yourself an incredible coach. Time will tell if he can turn PSU into Ohio State but I'm done taking whacks at him. My question is will he stay? For real! Does he want to settle into that dump town for 20-25 years? Anyway, good luck next year and be a normal supporter. The doosh cultists up their are the worst. The Penn State fans I know are great.

He showed his value to PSU when he dodged the rape issue. He is PSU material for sure.

As I've mentioned before we live in the Lehigh Valley one of the Nitter Media Markets.

The spread doesn't matter and I'm happy we're on the losing end of that one!
The Nitters we know are "scared" to death of the Nitter vs PITT game.
I believe last season was an anomaly for the Nitter great season and a lot of the Nitter success was based on luck! Luck counts and happens once in a while not every season!

Take the OSU Nitter game for example. OSU was receiving a Nitter punt on around the 48- 50 yard line up 21-7 with approx. 12 mins to go in the 4th qtr. How does OSU lose that game????

I predict a Nitter 8-4 or 9-3 season with one of those losses being PITT!

Yeah.. I'm not here to be dragged into a discussion about anything other than our game. Your guys opinion about things other than the game matters as much to me as mine does to you.. the only off field thing I'd discuss is whether Bookser will play or not since it can effect the game..

I"d throw most of what you saw in last year's game out the window. I'm hopeful that Penn State can show up in first halves and I'm sure you hope your defense has improved some or at least maybe designed to hide some of your weaknesses. If your d was just mediocre you could've won your division and played in the ACC title game. With such an experienced team, I'd think it has to fall on Narduzzi since the defense kept them from having a great season. I know if Penn State goes 8-5 with this year's team and loses to Pitt, our fanbase will become awfully critical of Franklin again. I'm very curious about how your transfer qb will do. It will not be a very welcoming environment for him in week 2.

Actually sparky, our opinion of you means more to you due to the fact you are on the Pitt board posting!

You do know that Conner was coming off an injury and Hendrix was lost for the year right?

Bookser will play after missing the opener

Yeah.. I'm not here to be dragged into a discussion about anything other than our game. Your guys opinion about things other than the game matters as much to me as mine does to you.. the only off field thing I'd discuss is whether Bookser will play or not since it can effect the game..

I"d throw most of what you saw in last year's game out the window. I'm hopeful that Penn State can show up in first halves and I'm sure you hope your defense has improved some or at least maybe designed to hide some of your weaknesses. If your d was just mediocre you could've won your division and played in the ACC title game. With such an experienced team, I'd think it has to fall on Narduzzi since the defense kept them from having a great season. I know if Penn State goes 8-5 with this year's team and loses to Pitt, our fanbase will become awfully critical of Franklin again. I'm very curious about how your transfer qb will do. It will not be a very welcoming environment for him in week 2.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Actually sparky, our opinion of you means more to you due to the fact you are on the Pitt board posting!

You do know that Conner was coming off an injury and Hendrix was lost for the year right?

Work on your reading comprehension before you post. I'll spell it out for you. Your board's opinion about your team and our matchup means something to me. That would be it.. period.

Conner had something that I wouldn't call an injury. Total respect and admiration for that guy. Great leader and great person. Wish him the best.. but you're missing the point again.. I'm not making any excuses for last year. The point is the teams are different this year so I wouldn't expect the same kind of game. Conner isn't playing this year and Hendrix is. Your starting backfield is different. You have 11ish different starters than last year's game. You have a new offensive coordinator. What adjustments are going to be made to try and fix your defense? Maybe your new kicker will be better than Blewitt? It doesn't mean that you won't be good.. it's just that it's unknown. We've already lost a starting corner to injury in the spring, but our other starting corner from last year didn't play in the Pitt game. Our core is intact.and our qb won't be starting in his first road game in a new offense. Obviously your d has to be keyed in on Barkley on d, but how vulnerable will you be elsewhere by focusing on him? Our d will have to be alert to Henderson anytime he's on the field and I'm sure we'll kick away from him as much as possible. How will that effect field position?

We'll see about Bookser. Seems like nobody knows how that will play out at this point but I'm curious why you think what you think, not what you hope will happen.

Work on your reading comprehension before you post. I'll spell it out for you. Your board's opinion about your team and our matchup means something to me. That would be it.. period.

Conner had something that I wouldn't call an injury. Total respect and admiration for that guy. Great leader and great person. Wish him the best.. but you're missing the point again.. I'm not making any excuses for last year. The point is the teams are different this year so I wouldn't expect the same kind of game. Conner isn't playing this year and Hendrix is. Your starting backfield is different. You have 11ish different starters than last year's game. You have a new offensive coordinator. What adjustments are going to be made to try and fix your defense? Maybe your new kicker will be better than Blewitt? It doesn't mean that you won't be good.. it's just that it's unknown. We've already lost a starting corner to injury in the spring, but our other starting corner from last year didn't play in the Pitt game. Our core is intact.and our qb won't be starting in his first road game in a new offense. Obviously your d has to be keyed in on Barkley on d, but how vulnerable will you be elsewhere by focusing on him? Our d will have to be alert to Henderson anytime he's on the field and I'm sure we'll kick away from him as much as possible. How will that effect field position?

We'll see about Bookser. Seems like nobody knows how that will play out at this point but I'm curious why you think what you think, not what you hope will happen.

Don't forget that James was coming back from a torn MCL, in addition to cancer. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as an injury.

For a Snowflake I'm proud of you you're holding up your end in this thread!
Way to Go!

If we want to be like everyone else in the Top 20 ( we're not there yet) Bookster should miss the first snap of the first game which we hope would be offside Youngstown U!

He'll also have to carry his I Passed Drivers Ed card with him 100% of the time.

MGM Mirage has Penn State -19.5.

Should see this needle move from -17.5 to -19.5 all the way through week two.

Little risky play but I'm still riding with Penn State and over here.

Just because I like to burn one and play frisbee doesn't make me a snowflake.

I can't believe all the PSU fans coming on our site to post. Seems weird to me, oh well sunshine is closing so I am out to enjoy it.

For a Snowflake I'm proud of you you're holding up your end in this thread!
Way to Go!

If we want to be like everyone else in the Top 20 ( we're not there yet) Bookster should miss the first snap of the first game which we hope would be offside Youngstown U!

He'll also have to carry his I Passed Drivers Ed card with him 100% of the time.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
Don't forget that James was coming back from a torn MCL, in addition to cancer. I'm pretty sure that qualifies as an injury.

My mistake. Thanks for pointing that out. I had forgotten about that. Regardless, he's not playing in this year's game. Original point was about this year's game being different because of numerous factors and Snowflake or Frisbee guy brought him into the conversation which was irrelevant.

Enough of the bragging of a conference championship. You guys finished in a three-way tie as co-divisional champs - and one of the co-champs beat you by 40 points.

Enough of the bragging of a conference championship. You guys finished in a three-way tie as co-divisional champs - and one of the co-champs beat you by 40 points.

Actually was a two way tie with Ohio State who Penn State beat head to head. Michigan finished alone in 3rd.. and getting beat by 40 in September actually makes the job Franklin did even more impressive.

I think I remember Pitt's last conference championship.. Big East title 2004ish, winning the 4 way tiebreaker in a 7 team conference got you to the Fiesta Bowl, I believe. Same year Michigan last won their conference.

Actually was a two way tie with Ohio State who Penn State beat head to head. Michigan finished alone in 3rd.. and getting beat by 40 in September actually makes the job Franklin did even more impressive.

I think I remember Pitt's last conference championship.. Big East title 2004ish, winning the 4 way tiebreaker in a 7 team conference got you to the Fiesta Bowl, I believe. Same year Michigan last won their conference.
A year before you beat a 5 loss FSU team in the Orange Bowl and thumped your chests about it like you won a MNC.

That was the bowl trip where JoePa basically said girls were asking for it when they were raped by college football players. Got to love PSU. Success with Horror.

Last edited:

You are wrong. It was a three way tie for the Division title with the tie-breaker going to PSU. All three were 5-1 in division. And Michigan just scored on you again while I typed this.

You are wrong. It was a three way tie for the Division title with the tie-breaker going to PSU. All three were 5-1 in division. And Michigan just scored on you again while I typed this.

The division is decided by all your conference games. 8-1 PSU 7-2 Michigan. Michigan won September.. but you have to win games in November too

Wrong......Michigan had 2 losses. Ohio State and Iowa. PSU & OSU tied for the division, with PSU getting the head to head tiebreaker

Last edited:
A year before you beat a 5 loss FSU team in the Orange Bowl and thumped your chests about it like you won a MNC.

That was the bowl trip where JoePa basically said girls were asking for it when they were raped by college football players. Got to love PSU. Success with Horror.

That was a fun year.. 11-1 Orange Bowl champs #3 in the country

As I've mentioned before we live in the Lehigh Valley one of the Nitter Media Markets.

The spread doesn't matter and I'm happy we're on the losing end of that one!
The Nitters we know are "scared" to death of the Nitter vs PITT game.
I believe last season was an anomaly for the Nitter great season and a lot of the Nitter success was based on luck! Luck counts and happens once in a while not every season!

Take the OSU Nitter game for example. OSU was receiving a Nitter punt on around the 48- 50 yard line up 21-7 with approx. 12 mins to go in the 4th qtr. How does OSU lose that game????

I predict a Nitter 8-4 or 9-3 season with one of those losses being PITT!
284f76ed4943f485dbcb6ea330becf69389acdd58ba9622755df3bb7b17c9077.jpg

Reactions: psugisher
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT