ADVERTISEMENT

Pete Thamel column on realignment (paywall)

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Link

Summary:

- The ACC-Pac-12 merger/alliance/partnership isn’t expected to bring in enough additional money to make it worth pursuing. Numbers should be in next week.

- The ACC’s Grant of Rights is holding up and, contrary to other reports, no one is attempting to challenge it (yet). Thamel suggests ditching Pac-12 deal and outright expanding west with Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington.

- Notre Dame is staying put for now, but Big Ten revenue might cause a change in the coming years. The B1G has settled down on expansion and is expected to stop for now. If they do eventually leave for the Big Ten, Stanford is their preferred partner.

- The rumored four corner schools are putting invites to the Big 12 on hold until they hear the expected revenues from an ACC-Pac-12 deal.

Link

Summary:

- The ACC-Pac-12 merger/alliance/partnership isn’t expected to bring in enough additional money to pursue it. Numbers should be in next week.

- The ACC’s Grant of Rights is holding up and, contrary to other reports, no one is attempting to challenge it (yet). Thamel suggests expanding west with Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington

- Notre Dame is staying put for now, but Big Ten revenue might cause a change in the coming years. The B1G has settled down on expansion and is expected to stop for now

- The rumored four corner schools are putting invites to the Big 12 on hold until they hear the expected revenues from an ACC-Pac-12 deal
The ACC/Pac 12 loose partnership is a stupid idea. Just add the most valuable teams outright.

The ACC needs to go big adding Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Colorado, Oklahoma State, 1 of the Arizonas, and 1-2 Texas schools and maybe KU for hoops. I know nobody cares about hoops but Duke, KU, Az, and UNC in the same hoops conference would be crazy

The ACC/Pac 12 loose partnership is a stupid idea. Just add the most valuable teams outright.

The ACC needs to go big adding Oregon, Washington, Stanford, Colorado, Oklahoma State, 1 of the Arizonas, and 1-2 Texas schools and maybe KU for hoops. I know nobody cares about hoops but Duke, KU, Az, and UNC in the same hoops conference would be crazy
I call hosting the tailgate at the first Pitt/KU game in Lawrence! :)

Link

Summary:

- The ACC-Pac-12 merger/alliance/partnership isn’t expected to bring in enough additional money to make it worth pursuing. Numbers should be in next week.

- The ACC’s Grant of Rights is holding up and, contrary to other reports, no one is attempting to challenge it (yet). Thamel suggests ditching Pac-12 deal and outright expanding west with Cal, Oregon, Stanford, and Washington.

- Notre Dame is staying put for now, but Big Ten revenue might cause a change in the coming years. The B1G has settled down on expansion and is expected to stop for now. If they do eventually leave for the Big Ten, Stanford is their preferred partner.

- The rumored four corner schools are putting invites to the Big 12 on hold until they hear the expected revenues from an ACC-Pac-12 deal.
Boy, somebody ain't gonna like the part where he claims the CFP expands but still lets the "other" conferences in. It's almost like that always made the most sense.

Boy, somebody ain't gonna like the part where he claims the CFP expands but still lets the "other" conferences in. It's almost like that always made the most sense.
I was on the same ship for a while, but I’ve settled on the idea that schools will only get excluded if/when there is an actual separation from the NCAA.

I think it’s also important to remember that the SEC was the one pushing an expanded playoff last year. As the Wu Tang Clan once said, “cash rules everything around me.” Apparently they believe an expanded playoff system with every ‘power’ conference having access makes more money than a Big Ten-SEC invitational.

Reactions: NickPanthers
I was on the same ship for a while, but I’ve settled on the idea that schools will only get excluded if/when there is an actual separation from the NCAA.

I think it’s also important to remember that the SEC was the one pushing an expanded playoff last year. As the Wu Tang Clan once said, “cash rules everything around me.” Apparently they believe an expanded playoff system with every ‘power’ conference having access makes more money than a Big Ten-SEC invitational.
Important to remember that the CFP is not really an NCAA thing. Yeah, there's a connection but it's a made-for-TV product. How else will the B1G and SEC properly vet the next school they're going to poach?

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Link

Summary:

Nah, some hoopie on Twitter said the ACC is over and Pitt will land in a conference with CMU.

Not if the GOR needs reissued and some teams balk at the idea.

It wouldn't but the new teams would have to sign it

I'm not sure that's correct. The answer will dictate an alliance vs. Membership.

The alliance was floated to increase revenue and to protect the GOR. At least, that's what was reported.

Not if the GOR needs reissued and some teams balk at the idea.
From what I’ve read online (not sure if I can get you a citation right away), the GOR would not need reissued or be “opened” if expansion happens. In fact, apparently it specially mentions any new members having to follow the existing conference bylaws.

What would happen, however, is that expansion would automatically trigger a re-negotiation of the existing tv/streaming deal with ESPN. I believe this is why Thamel suggested outright inviting the Bay Area schools + Oregon and Washington into the ACC.

Reactions: NickPanthers
There was something last night about FSU trying to get out with ESPN's help but it really hasn't gotten any legs. Was from the every reliable "source".

I think that’s different.

It’s one thing to say that reports are that teams are looking to leave the ACC, and those schools are saying the GOR will not be stopping them if and when they make their move.

That’s not the same thing as reporting teams are challenging the GOR. I haven’t seen any of those reports.

From what I’ve read online (not sure if I can get you a citation right away), the GOR would not need reissued or be “opened” if expansion happens. In fact, apparently it specially mentions any new members having to follow the existing conference bylaws.

What would happen, however, is that expansion would automatically trigger a re-negotiation of the existing tv/streaming deal with ESPN. I believe this is why Thamel suggested outright inviting the Bay Area schools + Oregon and Washington into the ACC.

If so, and I think I'm going to hell to by saying this- I would agree with @Sean Miller Fan . That's a pretty solid league.

• Haha
If so, and I think I'm going to hell to by saying this- I would agree with @Sean Miller Fan . That's a pretty solid league.
If you pick off the most valuable properties that are left, you can have a conference nearly as good competitively (and probably better than the B10) but still not close in $$$$$. Those midwesterners love watching OSU and a bunch of bad teams.

ACC West
Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
Arizona
ASU
Colorado
Kansas

ACC North
BC
Pitt
Syr
Lou
UVa
VT
UNC
Duke

ACC South
NC State
Wake
Clem
GT
FSU
Miami
OK St
TT (or another TX team)

Reactions: jay1976 and Fk_Pitt
If you pick off the most valuable properties that are left, you can have a conference nearly as good competitively (and probably better than the B10) but still not close in $$$$$. Those midwesterners love watching OSU and a bunch of bad teams.

And that becomes the issue.

Why would any of the teams that have options and want out due to money issues, agree to anything that doesn’t actually fix the money issues that are the entire reason for them leaving?

Why not change the name of a conference to a league? The ACC should change their name to the American Coast League. Have your Atlantic Coast Conference and your Pac12 Coast Conference and be done with it. Talk with the Rose bowl about the PAC 12 tie in and talk to the orange bowl about the ACC tie in.

I haven’t been following all these threads so apologies to anyone who suggested this before me.

ACC West
Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
Arizona
ASU
Colorado
Kansas

ACC North
BC
Pitt
Syr
Lou
UVa
VT
UNC
Duke

ACC South
NC State
Wake
Clem
GT
FSU
Miami
OK St
TT (or another TX team)
I like that.

I think that’s different.

It’s one thing to say that reports are that teams are looking to leave the ACC, and those schools are saying the GOR will not be stopping them if and when they make their move.

That’s not the same thing as reporting teams are challenging the GOR. I haven’t seen any of those reports.
Well, yes, but I believe that the suggestion was that ESPN was the one trying to break the GOR. There are a lot of "sources" that don't seem to know anything. Guessing a lot of people aren't as well connected as they think or a ton of clickbait. Either way, these deals seem to be totally quiet until they're real.

I don’t know if Jim Phillips and the ACC deserve credit for “foresight,” but the new scheduling format would actually work perfect for westward expansion, too. The four Pac-12 schools can be each other’s three annual opponents and the 3-5-5 setup would have them traveling to the east coast three times a year at most.

UNC to B1G is easily the best value on this board. Obviously, the GoR is what makes this 20:1 but still quite a bit of value for big brand.

I don’t think we get invited to the Big Ten, but we also have to have a better chance than some of those schools. Cincinnati? OK State?
My guess is the duplicate market would be the reason why Vegas doesn’t agree with you. Just a guess.

I love this though as well as probably you other degenerate gamblers out there. 🤣

My guess is the duplicate market would be the reason why Vegas doesn’t agree with you. Just a guess.

I love this though as well as probably you other degenerate gamblers out there. 🤣
I can see that argument for OK State, but wouldn’t Cincinnati have the same issues Pitt does? There isn’t technically a school in that city but an existing B1G member already brings them that market?

I can see that argument for OK State, but wouldn’t Cincinnati have the same issues Pitt does? There isn’t technically a school in that city but an existing B1G member already brings them that market?
To block the SEC from entering Ohio? Prolly a long shot but there is money involved with these lines.

I believe more of this than some of the conjecture out there now.

Vegas/Costa Rica don’t just guess. They have their sources too.

Strictly from gambling perspective, these are fun bets that make one think on multiple levels (ie. Delineating what makes most sense BUT understanding certain things like ACC GoR exist, etc).

EDIT: Those last 4 SEC bets might be the worst bets I’ve ever seen. HA! Still love that they did this though.

ACC West
Washington
Oregon
Stanford
Cal
Arizona
ASU
Colorado
Kansas

ACC North
BC
Pitt
Syr
Lou
UVa
VT
UNC
Duke

ACC South
NC State
Wake
Clem
GT
FSU
Miami
OK St
TT (or another TX team)

Your reasoning is why you don't expand by 8 imo. Oregon gets a bump for the Nike money and influence.

FWn9b1RWYAILhUM

Washington, Stanford, Cal and Oregon are all in the top 35 historical programs as well. Those 4 would put 9 of the top 35 in one league.

E6nWBMoXsAEa3gG

Your reasoning is why you don't expand by 8 imo. Oregon gets a bump for the Nike money and influence.

FWn9b1RWYAILhUM

Washington, Stanford, Cal and Oregon are all in the top 35 historical programs as well. Those 4 would put 9 of the top 35 in one league.

E6nWBMoXsAEa3gG
I’ll take a top 25 spot! I’d be interested to see something like this that stopped at 1990. It’s a shame because had it not been for such a long period of administration-driven mediocrity, we’d likely be in the top 15.

FWn9b1RWYAILhUM

E6nWBMoXsAEa3gG
Nebraska has this plastered on every billboard on campus, in Lincoln and all the way to the Colorado state line 🤣🤣

I’ll take a top 25 spot! I’d be interested to see something like this that stopped at 1990. It’s a shame because had it not been for such a long period of administration-driven mediocrity, we’d likely be in the top 15.

That was done before last season. Given the criteria Pitt might have jumped UW and UCLA.

Although Cincinnati is listed with odds even though they are in the same state as the Big dog of the Big 10. Just seems as though Pitt is an afterthought.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT