ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett says he may not play in Peach Bowl

As someone about to drop 650 on PB tickets and been a season ticket holder for years, I think its a bit selfish. You can make the argument for KP, that he could get hurt or have a bad game. However, he could have gotten hurt in the ACC Champ or in the Syracuse game (which meant nothing). Even with a temp OC that has been there, he will torch MSU.

I don't even know the point of all these bowl games if most of the top players are opting out. Just do an expanded playoff and cancel all the other bowls.

As someone about to drop 650 on PB tickets and been a season ticket holder for years, I think its a bit selfish. You can make the argument for KP, that he could get hurt or have a bad game. However, he could have gotten hurt in the ACC Champ or in the Syracuse game (which meant nothing). Even with a temp OC that has been there, he will torch MSU.

I don't even know the point of all these bowl games if most of the top players are opting out. Just do an expanded playoff and cancel all the other bowls.

I agree. If you're a lock to be a high draft pick, why even finish out the season? Other guys have ended their season far earlier.

My thought is that no QB has ever opted out of a major, NY6 bowl game. But I guess it was only a matter of time before QBs started considering it. Figures it would happen the year we can finish in the top 10.

The problem is that an expanded playoff may not help much. A player still would have a chance of getting injured while not making any money for it. If a player is mostly thinking about protecting his future earnings, I'm not sure being in the playoffs vs. a bowl game really matters. When you think about it, a player can have more chance of having an injury, because of the potential of playing in multiple extra games vs. 1.

Reactions: CaptainMurphy
Of course it does. If another coordinator screws up the game plan and KP looks bad, it could hurt his draft value.
Completely disagree with this.
Senior bowl practices have much greater impact on his draft then having a great or horrible game in the Peach Bowl.
Peach Bowl , really any bowl outside of the playoff, means more to fans and coaches. Only way Peach bowl impacts Pickett’s draft status is due to injury.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
Matt Corral is playing in the Sugar Bowl.

Kenny NOT playing in the Peach Bowl probably makes it more likely that Corral is the 3/4 and Pickett is the 8/9.
If a team drops a player due to not playing a bowl game, they are foolish.
You judge a qb on their decision-making through out the season and their pre-draft workouts. Peach bowl, Gator bowl, Cheez it bowl, and any bowl really are irrelevant to the NFL draft.

• Haha
If a team drops a player due to not playing a bowl game, they are foolish.
You judge a qb on their decision-making through out the season and their pre-draft workouts. Peach bowl, Gator bowl, Cheez it bowl, and any bowl really are irrelevant to the NFL draft.
You also judge a QB on his leadership.

Leading a team to the promised land of a NY6 bowl, only to abandon them for the game, could cause some scouts to pause.

The problem is that an expanded playoff may not help much. A player still would have a chance of getting injured while not making any money for it. If a player is mostly thinking about protecting his future earnings, I'm not sure being in the playoffs vs. a bowl game really matters. When you think about it, a player can have more chance of having an injury, because of the potential of playing in multiple extra games vs. 1.

I read somewhere that UNC players were polled about expanding the CFP and were against it - too many extra games, wear and tear on their bodies.

Leading a team to the promised land of a NY6 bowl, only to abandon them for the game, could cause some scouts to pause.
I agree. I’d want to draft guys that love football. I’d take a guy who sat out, but I would take him lower than if he had played.

Matt Corral is playing in the Sugar Bowl.

Kenny NOT playing in the Peach Bowl probably makes it more likely that Corral is the 3/4 and Pickett is the 8/9.
One thing not playing in the Peach Bowl will guarantee is that Pickett will not suffer any type of injury that might cost him his NFL career. And that is the reason he would not play, not because playing would affect his draft position.

Reactions: martingale

They’re fools then. Those are people who draft Jamarcus Russell or other disasters.
Pickett has nothing to prove on his leadership. If 13 games this year does not give you a sample size to see what kind of leader or qb he is, then nothing will.

I see both sides of it. It's truly not risk of injury that could cost Pickett potentially millions of dollars. Can Pitt get a huge insurance policy for Pickett if he would get hurt and fall out of the first round? That way, Pickett still plays benefiting Pitt, and Pickett's monetarily covered if the event of injury.

I see both sides of it. It's truly not risk of injury that could cost Pickett potentially millions of dollars. Can Pitt get a huge insurance policy for Pickett if he would get hurt and fall out of the first round? That way, Pickett still plays benefiting Pitt, and Pickett's monetarily covered if the event of injury.

Was wondering the same thing. It might be a wise investment given the ticket sales I'm sure they'll lose if he doesn't play.

I'm not really faulting him if he sits. It's just a little gutting having finally gotten to a NY6 bowl.

Pickett did say that with Whipple leaving it affects his decision.

He ha
I am generally fine with players sitting out the bowl games to get ready for the combine, pro days, etc. and protect their health, BUT no QB has ever opted out of a NY6 bowl. So why does Pitt's guy have to be the first? That would in fact be 'same old Pitt' stuff. Like Larry Fitz being the first sophomore to enter the draft.

I believe Larry and then Shady and Dion were the first 3 true sophomores to declare. That's Pitt.

I'm not really faulting him if he sits. It's just a little gutting having finally gotten to a NY6 bowl.
This could be me but I really don’t associate the Peach bowl as the same in stature of the Orange, Sugar, or Rose. Those bowls have more tradition and significance. Of course, the CFP has changed the value of those games as well.
Bowl games are really just glorified exhibition games. The ACC championship has much more meaning that the Peach bowl . Crushing MSU or losing to them won’t change that for me.

This could be me but I really don’t associate the Peach bowl as the same in stature of the Orange, Sugar, or Rose. Those bowls have more tradition and significance. Of course, the CFP has changed the value of those games as well.
Bowl games are really just glorified exhibition games. The ACC championship has much more meaning that the Peach bowl . Crushing MSU or losing to them won’t change that for me.
The Peach, Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, and Cotton are all equivalent bowls now... with the same payout and same stature.

It isn't 1975 anymore.

so you would have passed on Christian McCaffrey?
Probably. It isn’t that I would have have black-balled him, but after I applied a “love of the game” downgrade, he wouldn’t have been available. I’ll grant that I have become the out-of-touch-crotchety-old-guy, but I wouldn’t want an employee who bailed without notice to their current employer, and I would hold quitting mid-season against an athlete - or coach.

The Peach, Orange, Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, and Cotton are all equivalent bowls now... with the same payout and same stature.

It isn't 1975 anymore.

And yet you want players to participate blindly as if it were. Oh the irony.

Probably. It isn’t that I would have have black-balled him, but after I applied a “love of the game” downgrade, he wouldn’t have been available. I’ll grant that I have become the out-of-touch-crotchety-old-guy, but I wouldn’t want an employee who bailed without notice to their current employer, and I would hold quitting mid-season against an athlete - or coach.

I can appreciate what you're saying, even if I disagree.

So? Would you feel better if he was the second?
It isn't a barrier I am interested in Pitt breaking.

I would prefer if he was like Matt Corral of Ole Miss... who is in the EXACT same position as Pickett, but wouldn't dream of not going into battle one more time with his brothers... on a big stage in which his school hasn't been on in decades.

That contradicts what you said earlier, that the Sugar, Orange, and Rose have more "stature".
They do.. Peach bowl will never have the pageantry or majesty of the Rose..
The tradition of the Sugar..
The NY6 bowl is an homage to the past heritage of those icons but the Peach doesn’t have it.
When we remember this year we will lead with the ACC Championship result. That’s the big thing. The peach bowl is a footnote..

I would prefer if he was like Matt Corral of Ole Miss... who is in the EXACT same position as Pickett, but wouldn't dream of not going into battle one more time with his brothers... on a big stage in which his school hasn't been on in decades.
Ole Miss played in the Sugar bowl in 2016.
And they are going because the SeC champs are in the CFP. Ole Miss lucked into it.

Did the Ole Miss offensive coordinator leave? If so, I missed it. If not, then it's not EXACT.

• Haha
Did the Ole Miss offensive coordinator leave? If so, I missed it. If not, then it's not EXACT.
So you really want to make the case that Pickett's loyalty was only to his OC.... and not his HC or his teammates?

You think that's a good look for him?

Reactions: Phillypanther2
I don’t know why he would play. He came back to Pitt to win an acc championship and he did that. He had possibly the best season as a Pitt qb ever and he is already a first round draft pick.

why play in an exhibition game? I always assumed if he did play it would be 1-2 series and then hand off to Patti.

there is no upside and anyone who says this tarnished his legacy is selfish. He led Pitt to and 11 win season and an acc championship that was his goal and he completed that.
If you do not see why he would play in it, than why the hell should any of us watch it. It's just an exhibition, right?

Reactions: Purdue_Panther
So you really want to make the case that Pickett's loyalty was only to his OC.... and not his HC or his teammates?

You think that's a good look for him?

Well maybe it is exact, I just saw the Ole Miss OC is leaving.

That aside, many players have connections to a particular coach, some follow them when the coach changes schools. Like you said, it's not 1975.

This sounds a lot like Pitt fans getting their feelings hurt because a QB may decide to not play in an exhibition game. I'll be disappointed if he doesn't play, but I'll get over it. It's not that important and it certainly doesn't wreck my day if he doesn't play. Just like the result of the game isn't that important either. Move on. I'm looking forward to next year already.

Patti is undefeated as a starter. He will get the job done if called upon

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT