ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett says he may not play in Peach Bowl

Definitely, probably not excited about having someone else and not Whip call his plays and the comfortability it brings

The timing of all of this feels really slimy. What is the point of Whipple going to Nebraska now instead of a few weeks?

I don't blame Kenny for protecting his future, makes some sense. At the same time, it's going to negatively affect his legacy at Pitt. Can't have it both ways. If we somehow manage to win if he doesn't play, all is probably forgiven. If his replacement struggles and we lose, he's going to take the blame.

Figures this would happen the one time we play in a NY6 bowl and have a chance at a top 10 finish.

Hmmm… Whipple connection?
uh, no, if so, he made this decision weeks ago. Hell he may have even called Peyton Manning again.. believe it or not there may actually be coaches on the staff familiar with the current offense sans Whipple standing there.....

The timing of all of this feels really slimy. What is the point of Whipple going to Nebraska now instead of a few weeks?

I don't blame Kenny for protecting his future, makes some sense. At the same time, it's going to negatively affect his legacy at Pitt. Can't have it both ways. If we somehow manage to win if he doesn't play, all is probably forgiven. If his replacement struggles and we lose, he's going to take the blame.

Figures this would happen the one time we play in a NY6 bowl and have a chance at a top 10 finish.
What's the point of waiting? You want a guy that knows he's gone in your locker room that could be putting a bug in Jordan Addison's ear about transferring? I'll be honest, I was sort of shocked that KP had said he was playing to begin with. If you're not confident that a replacement is going to help you shine, man, sit that exhibition game out.

What's the point of waiting? You want a guy that knows he's gone in your locker room that could be putting a bug in Jordan Addison's ear about transferring? I'll be honest, I was sort of shocked that KP had said he was playing to begin with. If you're not confident that a replacement is going to help you shine, man, sit that exhibition game out.
doesn't want that narrative hanging over him in New York. Sunday release..... that is what I think..

Of course it does. If another coordinator screws up the game plan and KP looks bad, it could hurt his draft value.
not another coordinator just another current staff member who has been there all year..I'm guessing they paid attention. Just dig up the plan you used against Virginia's defense and go with it........this Whipple thing gives him cover for a decision he made weeks ago...

doesn't want that narrative hanging over him in New York. Sunday release..... that is what I think..

Yeah, you might be right. Should really be deciding ASAP though to give Pitt a chance to figure things out.

not another coordinator another current staff member who has bee there all year..I'm guessing they paid attention. Just dig up the plan you used against Virginia's defense and go with it........
I don't even know how to respond to this. If it was that easy, why all the hand wringing in a half dozen other threads? Game plans and play calling matters.

I don't even know how to respond to this. If it was that easy, why all the hand wringing in a half dozen other threads? Game plans and play calling matters.
is what easy? a staff being familiar with the offense of a coordinator that has been gone for 2 hours? yes, I think it is.. not sure what other "threads" have to do with anything... like I said, if he decides not to play that decision was made long before the Whipple deal...

good to know the implicitly of NFL scouts who could not recognize a bad game plan if that were the case.....

Of course it does. If another coordinator screws up the game plan and KP looks bad, it could hurt his draft value.
One game right after his OC left would not do much to his draft value....He should play if what he has proclaimed is true.

I don’t know why he would play. He came back to Pitt to win an acc championship and he did that. He had possibly the best season as a Pitt qb ever and he is already a first round draft pick.

why play in an exhibition game? I always assumed if he did play it would be 1-2 series and then hand off to Patti.

there is no upside and anyone who says this tarnished his legacy is selfish. He led Pitt to and 11 win season and an acc championship that was his goal and he completed that.

Everything matters to NFL people. They take pictures of them in their underwear and lose sleep over a tenth on their 40 time.
This year's film isn't going to go away because Kenny plays one game without his 3 year OC

i have it on inside info that PIckett says he may not play to get the betting line down a few points so his buddies will get better odds and that he will play. ok, no inside info but that would be cool as heck if he did that.

I don’t know why he would play. He came back to Pitt to win an acc championship and he did that. He had possibly the best season as a Pitt qb ever and he is already a first round draft pick.

why play in an exhibition game? I always assumed if he did play it would be 1-2 series and then hand off to Patti.

there is no upside and anyone who says this tarnished his legacy is selfish. He led Pitt to and 11 win season and an acc championship that was his goal and he completed that.
This is HIS team this year. To come back to achieve as much as possible and to leave before he's done would be bullsh*t. Pitt gave him the opportunity to reach his personal goals, let's see if he does the same.

Reactions: UPitt '89
I actually would would like to see Patti play with possibly our new OC. I think Patti could beat MSU. But I guess we will find out for sure.

Reactions: Saboteur II
I actually would would like to see Patti play with possibly our new OC. I think Patti could beat MSU. But I guess we will find out for sure.
There is no way in hell PN is hiring a new OC before the game,it just isn’t going to happen,he will pretty badly wait to the coaches summit before he starts looking unless he promotes someone

This year's film isn't going to go away because Kenny plays one game without his 3 year OC
The first QB is probably going 3 or 4 overall. The next one might drop to 8 or 9. There are about 20 million reasons to worry about dropping to 8 or 9. Another 6 or 7 million reasons to not want to fall to the middle of the first round. It just takes one thing.

NFL peeps know what Kenny can do. They will work him out and see him up close and in person soon. They only risk in the bowl game is the risk of injury. I don't think anyone really cares too much how he performs in one game.

Peyton Manning was still the first pick in the draft. He played hurt in his bowl game his senior & he sucked out loud and got benched. (not sure that's an argument for or against)

The first QB is probably going 3 or 4 overall. The next one might drop to 8 or 9. There are about 20 million reasons to worry about dropping to 8 or 9. Another 6 or 7 million reasons to not want to fall to the middle of the first round. It just takes one thing.
Matt Corral is playing in the Sugar Bowl.

Kenny NOT playing in the Peach Bowl probably makes it more likely that Corral is the 3/4 and Pickett is the 8/9.

This is HIS team this year. To come back to achieve as much as possible and to leave before he's done would be bullsh*t. Pitt gave him the opportunity to reach his personal goals, let's see if he does the same.

He fulfilled his commitment, nothing to gain playing in this peachy exhibition. Move on Kenny, best of luck.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
What if Matt sucks in the Sugar, who's more likely the first QB then?
A. Kenny Pickett spent all year saying he "bet on himself". If he doesn't think he will play great against the 130th-out-of-130 ranked pass defense - then he doesn't have much faith in himself. That's not the Kenny Pickett we've seen.... and it would be disappointing.

B. Matt Corral is showing leadership by leading his team one last time in a high-profile game that means a lot to his university that hasn't had much success in the past few decades. A NY6 bowl for the first time in a long time. That will solidify his legend in Ole Miss lore. He's not likely to suck. And he is betting on himself to not suck. That's moxie.

I am generally fine with players sitting out the bowl games to get ready for the combine, pro days, etc. and protect their health, BUT no QB has ever opted out of a NY6 bowl. So why does Pitt's guy have to be the first? That would in fact be 'same old Pitt' stuff. Like Larry Fitz being the first sophomore to enter the draft.

A. Kenny Pickett spent all year saying he "bet on himself". If he doesn't think he will play great against the 130th-out-of-130 ranked pass defense - then he doesn't have much faith in himself. That's not the Kenny Pickett we've seen.... and it would be disappointing.

B. Matt Corral is showing leadership by leading his team one last time in a high-profile game that means a lot to his university that hasn't had much success in the past few decades. A NY6 bowl for the first time in a long time. That will solidify his legend in Ole Miss lore. He's not likely to suck. And he is betting on himself to not suck. That's moxie.

But you didn't answer the question.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
The season is over, the bowl game is just an exhibition. He's done, as are many others on various teams.
If the bowl game were just an exhibition... the win or loss wouldn't count in the teams record and the result wouldn't impact the final rankings. The coach wouldn't be able to claim a 12-win (or 11-win for MSU) season. The stats wouldn't count in the career or season totals for the players.

But the fact is..... the stats DO count. If Pickett throws for 5 TDs... his stat total in the record books will show 47 TDs on the year. If Pitt wins... Narduzzi's record will be 54-36... if Pitt loses, it will be 53-37.

It has the exact same weight as the Tennessee game in September. It is no more an "exhibition" than that game was.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT