ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett

Hey....but I hear the Steelers upgraded their quarterback room and Omar can turn water into wine...it just happens to be Thunderbird.
i feel like khan has played an integral role in improving our draft picks so i think he deserves credit there. and credit for him seeing what a disaster claypoole is and getting something in return for him.. but yeah, the love fest for him is a tad overboard.

he obviously got played by Ayiuk and did nothing to upgrade a terrible WR room as well as bringing in garbage at the qb room.. if both wilson and fields are as bad as we fear, thats a pretty big stain on his short career already.

Rookie outperformed him in second game.

And the fact Wilson and Fields stinking it up doesn’t make KP any better.
The rookie did not outplay him. He had similar stats to Kenny for most of the game vs guys who will be looking for jobs next week. Kenny played against starters. And then the rookie was left in long enough to lead the team down the field on a game winning drive. We saw Kenny do that a half a dozen times vs real NFL players.

The rookie did not outplay him. He had similar stats to Kenny for most of the game vs guys who will be looking for jobs next week. Kenny played against starters. And then the rookie was left in long enough to lead the team down the field on a game winning drive. We saw Kenny do that a half a dozen times vs real NFL players.
Tanner McKee is not a rookie BTW. He was their 3rd string QB last year.

Serious question guys. Let’s say Josh Allen plays in the steeler offense Saturday night. Would he have done enough to make anyone feel confident about things? I say no.

They're setting Wilson up to be in a 3-man rotation at linebacker and he'll probably see a lot of action on passing downs as the season progresses.

Resting the QB room isn't a bad thing. If Wilson and Fields both stink this year, good, move on. If Wilson plays well, re-sign him and either keep Fields or find another backup. So much better than wasting seasons away waiting for a guy who is not the answer to continue to show you he isn't the answer.
By playing two guys who clearly aren’t the answer .
Brilliant
Can’t wait for claims the 3rd stringer needs to pay mid season

Serious question guys. Let’s say Josh Allen plays in the steeler offense Saturday night. Would he have done enough to make anyone feel confident about things? I say no.
As I was watching that game Saturday my thoughts were any QB who ever played may look like dog poop the way the OLine was playing.

I love that they’re emphasizing OLine as I’m one who ponds that drum pretty constantly. Remains to be seen how successful they are.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Brilliant
i thought that allen dude had some good throws in the first pre-season game.

but yeah, if we are calling for Allen to start by mid season, we'll all be looking forward to pitt hoops season starting sooner than later and i'll be asking the board to come with me and dump garbage on Khan's front yard with me.

Hint: The Steelers are under NO obligation to sign either of these guys after the season.
So your entire premise is Kaput! If both fail, then they start fresh looking for a serviceable QB.
Another Hint: No Worse Off than starting over after KP or Rudolph continued proving they are NOT NFL starting QB's.

Bluster all you want, but, spoiler alert, You're floundering!
So - as noted - two years of completely new qb rooms
Hooray for being the new Browns!
I appreciate your comprehension isn’t strong - but, you are agreeing with my “floundering “
Because it’s about continuity in the depth . Not hoping and praying for a miracle on two rentals who were literally thrown away by their last teams as starters

As I was watching that game Saturday my thoughts were any QB who ever played may look like dog poop the way the OLine was playing.

I love that they’re emphasizing OLine as I’m one who ponds that drum pretty constantly. Remains to be seen how successful they are.
I mean, don’t people realize that for the Steelers to use massive draft capital in two straight drafts, is extremely telling for the state of the offense. If you’re investing that much into that unit, then it’s pretty obvious why a QB couldn’t perform and develop to a certain level.

Some of yinz act like Kenny is the first QB to 1: not have the best talent and/or scheme around him when he came into the league, 2: didn’t get treated the best by the team or 3: both!

I mean, don’t people realize that for the Steelers to use massive draft capital in two straight drafts, is extremely telling for the state of the offense. If you’re investing that much into that unit, then it’s pretty obvious why a QB couldn’t perform and develop to a certain level.
Agreed. But as it pertains to Pickett I just don’t believe he’s got what it takes to be at a level needed. I’ve said before I think he’ll have a long career and still do. He just wont ever be “that dude”.

Reactions: FireballZ
Some of yinz act like Kenny is the first QB to 1: not have the best talent and/or scheme around him when he came into the league, 2: didn’t get treated the best by the team or 3: both!
It was absolutely amplified here because he went to Pitt.

What if Wilson does have a good year? And I don’t mean he’ll find his pro bowl form. That would be exceedingly unlikely. But if he has a good year other teams will come after him I’d imagine. They are scarce and it only takes 1 big offer.

Was just an interesting thought (to me anyway). Could be damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.

but the fact that all of a sudden everyone decided to blame him instead of Canada or anything else, and troglodytes like dulsc ran propaganda pieces for the Steelers, screw them.
No one, and I mean absolutely no one, left Matt Canada off the hook. Fans called out the offensive line, wanted a new offensive line coach, and a lot want a new head coach. Definitely didn't put the sole blame on Pickett.
Brilliant
Pickett and Rudolph clearly weren't the answer either. They went with two zero-risk, cheap options with potentially some upside. Zero upside for staying status quo. If Kenny played at Penn State rather than Pitt, that attitude would be much different on Pickett's play over his first two years.

No one, and I mean absolutely no one, left Matt Canada off the hook. Fans called out the offensive line, wanted a new offensive line coach, and a lot want a new head coach. Definitely didn't put the sole blame on Pickett.

Pickett and Rudolph clearly weren't the answer either. They went with two zero-risk, cheap options with potentially some upside. Zero upside for staying status quo. If Kenny played at Penn State rather than Pitt, that attitude would be much different on Pickett's play over his first two years.
You definitely missed the narrative around the time and after Pickett was traded. It was like people forgot Canada existed. That’s really undeniable

You definitely missed the narrative around the time and after Pickett was traded. It was like people forgot Canada existed. That’s really undeniable
I didn't miss it at all. Of course there was a lot of talk and articles when he was traded but no where in there was it lost on the issues with the team.

It’s very clear now that as I stated at the time - keeping Kenny even as a backup - at least keeps some consistency and gives another year of control on a rookie deal than fields .
Kenny demanded to be traded as soon as the Stillers signed Wilson, so that wasn’t an option.

There’s no question that KP was thrust into a bad situation with the Stillers. But he also wasn’t up to the task. Apparently, he still isn’t as he’s in very real danger of sliding to QB3 in Philly.

He was done dirty by the Stillers, and that’s a shame. But the biggest issue is, he never should have been drafted in the first round, especially by a highly flawed offensive team that needed immediate help at QB. He doesn’t have that level of talent. He has struggled and continues to struggle. Unlikely that he’s ever an NFL QB1 again. No matter what happens with the Steelers this year, he wouldn’t have changed it any for the better.

Can’t disagree. But there were no QBs available to them at that moment in time, or since. They took their shot.
they always "take their shot" at the last moment. they took their shot with Mitch Trubisky too off the FA market, then a month later, took their shot with Pickett.

"Taking their shot" with what appears as spur of the moment reactionary moves just screams of failures. They took their shot drafting Mason Rudolph too and then hilariously "leaked" out how they had him as a first rd talent.

then they took their shot with Russell wilson and soon after, oh hey, this fields guy is available too so lets take a shot on him..

no clear cut plan AT ALL for the most important position in football. Ben sticking around a year too long didnt help but they botched Mason rudolph for about 2+ years, drafted pickett but then had him relegated as 3rd string, taking 3rds string reps (aka, none) but then after a few games, realizing Mitch sucked, threw him in as starter.

just all terrible, spur of the moment movements with no clear plan..

Again.....I said this last year when he struggled, and listed the 1st rd QB's from like the past 12 years. Most fail. Most don't end up as starting QB's after they get their initial shot. Alot of reasons, QB's are overvalued at draft time (not arguing they are the single most important position) but alot of guys who likely have 3rd rd grades get selected in Rd 1 just because QB's are so valued. Also, most 1st rd QB's go to bad teams. And they play too early, it is like people expect plug and play. Ben came in, but Ben is a HOFer. But even Aaron Rodgers sat for a few years. The Stillers bringing in Kenny likely one round too soon, but with an amateur hack as OC, no real QB coach, no mentor, and an OL in flux was not ideal. Did that ruin him? Or is he just not good. Probably alot of both.

they always "take their shot" at the last moment. they took their shot with Mitch Trubisky too off the FA market, then a month later, took their shot with Pickett.

"Taking their shot" with what appears as spur of the moment reactionary moves just screams of failures. They took their shot drafting Mason Rudolph too and then hilariously "leaked" out how they had him as a first rd talent.

then they took their shot with Russell wilson and soon after, oh hey, this fields guy is available too so lets take a shot on him..

no clear cut plan AT ALL for the most important position in football. Ben sticking around a year too long didnt help but they botched Mason rudolph for about 2+ years, drafted pickett but then had him relegated as 3rd string, taking 3rds string reps (aka, none) but then after a few games, realizing Mitch sucked, threw him in as starter.

But hey, normally you have to be epically bad to get your franchise QB unless you hit the lottery with a lesser pedigree player who ends up being Joe Montana. And then Mike Tomlin is never epically bad, as you may have heard, he’s never had a losing season!!! Yay!!

Yeah the Steelers are looking more and more like the Pirates for incompetence. But hey, Mike Tomlin never had a losing season.

So - as noted - two years of completely new qb rooms
Hooray for being the new Browns!
I appreciate your comprehension isn’t strong - but, you are agreeing with my “floundering “
Because it’s about continuity in the depth . Not hoping and praying for a miracle on two rentals who were literally thrown away by their last teams as starters
When you find yourself in a hole, it is best to stop digging.

The Steelers moved on from KP at his request, having seen all they needed to see to realize he wasn't their guy. They moved on from Rudolph, who the league felt so highly of that when he was an unrestricted FA, NOT ONE team took a flyer on him.

So the Steelers are auditioning two guys with no future obligations, in the hope that one will be their guy, and if not, they are no worse off than if they suffered through another injury prone year of KP and MR.
Two guys their previous teams moved on from replacing two guys the Steelers moved on from. Except one with a All Pro, SB pedigree and the other a super athletic legitimate former #1 pick.

Again.....I said this last year when he struggled, and listed the 1st rd QB's from like the past 12 years. Most fail. Most don't end up as starting QB's after they get their initial shot. Alot of reasons, QB's are overvalued at draft time (not arguing they are the single most important position) but alot of guys who likely have 3rd rd grades get selected in Rd 1 just because QB's are so valued. Also, most 1st rd QB's go to bad teams. And they play too early, it is like people expect plug and play. Ben came in, but Ben is a HOFer. But even Aaron Rodgers sat for a few years. The Stillers bringing in Kenny likely one round too soon, but with an amateur hack as OC, no real QB coach, no mentor, and an OL in flux was not ideal. Did that ruin him? Or is he just not good. Probably alot of both.
Agree with this.

Rookie outperformed him in second game.

And the fact Wilson and Fields stinking it up doesn’t make KP any better.
First of all....Tanner McKee is not a rookie. I believe he is a second year QB out of Stanford. Secondly....you dummies who are spouting off didn't even watch the game. He came in after Kenny in the second half after Kenny played against the starters. McKee was decent against the second or third team defense but was unable to produce any points on several drive attempt. He didn't really do any damage until after Will Greer had several drives. He scored against dudes that will be selling insurance in a few weeks. Not exactly apples to apples...but hey hot takes without context are fun.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Unfortunately, not sure what happened, but something happened. The marriage ran its course and Kenny wanted out as much as the Steelers wanted him out. Maybe Tomlin is racist, I dunno.
Season 5 Donna GIF by Parks and Recreation

"Apparently, he still isn’t as he’s in very real danger of sliding to QB3 in Philly." But really he isn't. Media needs a story to be honest. If you really wanna know read up on how Tanner looked yesterday when given some looks with the second team.....I'll give you a hint....it was horrible. Once the real season starts none of this will be brought up again. Also in the first preseason game he went 6 for 16 with a passer rating of like 48....so yeah.....stop letting the biased media paint your narrative. They work for clicks and intentionally leave out details that weaken their narrative.

I really disagree. Pickett quickly became labeled as the biggest problem, even though in one game post Canada he had the best game of his career
You can disagree all you want, it probably just means you only focused in on the people who were only blaming Pickett while ignoring those upset with the OL, OL coach, and most importantly with Tomlin.

Absolutely SPOT on, KP8. It’s as if everyone forgot all about Canada.

What is odd is they keep going cheap at QB but willing to pay Brandon Ayiuk 30 million and give up a 2nd and 3rd rounder. That is wild and won't sit well with all the players who were loyal to them that they nickeled and dimed. SMH.....I hate them so much.
The players wouldn't care as long as they get paid. But who exactly did you want the Steelers to spend on money on? Kirk Cousins was about the only quality option out there but is coming off a major injury. Was a guy like Baker Mayfield at $33 million per year on a long-ter deal--more since they would've had to sign him away from Tampa Bay--a better investment than taking chance on two cheap QBs?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT