ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett

Some of that was on the receiver. A better one makes that play. The throw was just on the wrong side of perfect. Not a 10 out of 10, but maybe a 6 out of 10. But with Kenny last year, we saw and heard every missed throw put under a magnifying glass. Perfect example was that one slant Pickett missed that should have gone for a TD at an important moment of the game. Maybe someone recalls the one. Kenny put it in an area where it should have been but missed by about a foot and the play died. But the receiver didn’t take his route vertical enough. It wasn’t on Kenny but to yinzers and many in the media, it was a missed throw that was talked about for a week.

I remember when the same thing happened to Ben and he said his receiver didn’t get vertical enough and everyone took his side, because it was Ben. But the receiver was AB and he took huge offense to it and it led to a little squabble between AB and Ben. But that who Ben was. The only time Ben took blame for anything is when it was blatantly obvious to everyone in the nation that it wasn’t Ben’s fault. Kenny didn’t throw his receiver under the bus and took the responsibility.
There is a HUGE difference between a missed play from Roethlisberger and one from Pickett. Roethlisberger had nearly 2 decades of Hall of Fame play and production. Man, Pickett I was just hoping to see him make some basic plays that he made look difficult all too often. At some point Pickett had to prove he could make the plays. Since he didn't consistently, he was criticized more for it.

I also think your assessment for Ben taking the blame is way off base. He always took the blame for losses and one time he criticized a teammate a lot latched onto thinking it was how he was all the time.

Except that is again the stiller spin narrative .
Kenny had zero power or leverage since he’s under contract and was traded to another team he’s going to compete . So scratch that nonsense using logic .
Wilson did
It’s also why Mason wasn’t resigned .
The Steelers generally trade or release players that ask for a trade, especially if it seems like they are going to be an issue in the locker room. Ask Antonio Brown, Melvin Ingram, Martavis Bryant, or James Harrison (released on request before playoffs).
Mason wasn't re-signed because the Steelers didn't need a $2.5 million 3rd string QB and they sure as hell weren't going into training camp with a 3-person QB battle.

Face it, Kenny walked into the Steelers' offices and saw a bowl of fruit on the counter, mistaking them for peaches he turned and ran as fast as he could out of Pittsburgh. Only this time he didn't even bother to thank his teammates.

There is a HUGE difference between a missed play from Roethlisberger and one from Pickett. Roethlisberger had nearly 2 decades of Hall of Fame play and production. Man, Pickett I was just hoping to see him make some basic plays that he made look difficult all too often. At some point Pickett had to prove he could make the plays. Since he didn't consistently, he was criticized more for it.

I also think your assessment for Ben taking the blame is way off base. He always took the blame for losses and one time he criticized a teammate a lot latched onto thinking it was how he was all the time.
Ben always took the blame when it was obvious it wasn’t his fault. It was like passive aggressive and insincere BS and anyone with a brain saw it. Like if a snap sails 5 feet over his head or bounces a yard in front of him, he would say “that’s my fault I gotta do a better job there”. He only did it because everyone knows whose fault it was.

Whether it was Pickett or Fields, we should all really be talking about that route and the receiver slowing up on the play.
it was a truly astonishingly ugly play all the way around. terribly thrown ball while the wr slows down then jumps straight up lol. i mean, talk about a snapshot of what we are gonna see all year, that's it..

funny that people are sticking up for fields becuase of it though. dude screwed up but that ball wasnt being caught by anyone regardless.

Ummm....with all the calls that went their way, including two absolutely phantom holding calls that took a TD and a key 1st down off of the board.....I don't really think they have room to talk.
If BT was at that game, it sure as eff wasn't as a Pitt fan. Being a Hoopie actually makes sense. The amount of clear non-Pitt fan trolls in this thread is truly hilarious.

Receiver slowing up on the play? What the hell were some of you watching? The ball was 6-8 feet over his head. It was a horrible throw on a play where he was able to drop back, step into the throw, and had no pressure. It was a layup for a TD that was horribly overthrown. Anyone pointing at the WR is making excused for Fields, or doesn't know anything about football.

Receiver slowing up on the play? What the hell were some of you watching? The ball was 6-8 feet over his head. It was a horrible throw on a play where he was able to drop back, step into the throw, and had no pressure. It was a layup for a TD that was horribly overthrown. Anyone pointing at the WR is making excused for Fields, or doesn't know anything about football.
The replay showed that he stopped at the 5, misjudging the throw and started running again. Even with that the ball was like a foot from his hand:

Screenshot-20240820-121800-Chrome.jpg

The ball is still overthrown, but if the receiver doesn't stop, he at least gets his fingers on it if he makes that type of leap.

In the end, this guy was brought in to be QB2 on a cheap one year deal after KP got traded. I don't know why all the KP stans are making him the strawman in a KP thread.

Last edited:
I understand those going out of their way to defend Kenny in some respects. If he missed the read and that one huge overthrow, it would the topic of every talkshow host and column in town. But somehow Justin Fields got a pass. I am not sure if Kenny burned bridges, or if it was truly a Nitter/Hoopie vs Pitt thing. But this relationship ended poorly and abruptly.
Again- it’s not defending Kenny
Since I also said resigning Mason was also a viable option .
Pittsburgh sports press is essentially the PR department for the Stillers - no actual journalism .

well the WR in question was some dude named Luther that no one heard of. guy isnt going to make the team. a truly ugly route but yeah, doesnt change the fact that the ball was poorly thrown...

it's funny but everyone says it, fans and media. Fields is a special talent at QB, until he has to throw the ball.

• Haha
Reactions: Parkview57
Receiver is running a post. Fields missed the throw completely . Received stopped his route to make an attempt at the catch .
Folks are idiots .
Fields throws in front of the receiver it’s an easy 6
But 4 years now - it’s the same refrain for why fields fails- someone else’s fault

well the WR in question was some dude named Luther that no one heard of. guy isnt going to make the team. a truly ugly route but yeah, doesnt change the fact that the ball was poorly thrown...

it's funny but everyone says it, fans and media. Fields is a special talent at QB, until he has to throw the ball.
He isn’t accurate or able to read defenses -
But - man - what zip on those incompletions !

When you find yourself in a hole, it is best to stop digging.

The Steelers moved on from KP at his request, having seen all they needed to see to realize he wasn't their guy. They moved on from Rudolph, who the league felt so highly of that when he was an unrestricted FA, NOT ONE team took a flyer on him.

So the Steelers are auditioning two guys with no future obligations, in the hope that one will be their guy, and if not, they are no worse off than if they suffered through another injury prone year of KP and MR.
Two guys their previous teams moved on from replacing two guys the Steelers moved on from. Except one with a All Pro, SB pedigree and the other a super athletic legitimate former #1 pick.

So no one signed Rudolph? Maybe the Steelers should give him a call.

He isn’t accurate or able to read defenses -
But - man - what zip on those incompletions !
Sounds like the media gushing over oneill cruz. As a rookie he was the next babe Ruth because he threw the ball hard and hit the ball really hard and high.

Receiver is running a post. Fields missed the throw completely . Received stopped his route to make an attempt at the catch .
Folks are idiots .
Fields throws in front of the receiver it’s an easy 6
But 4 years now - it’s the same refrain for why fields fails- someone else’s fault
Stopped to catch the ball, but then ran 5 yards? ok.

Fields has nothing to do with KP at all. KP was gone to the Eagles. If you were fighting for Rudolph that would at least make some sense since they pulled his offer to bring in Fields.

Reactions: CJsE and Burgh15
The replay showed that he stopped at the 5, misjudging the throw and started running again. Even with that the ball was like a foot from his hand:

Screenshot-20240820-121800-Chrome.jpg

The ball is still overthrown, but if the receiver doesn't stop, he at least gets his fingers on it if he makes that type of leap.

In the end, this guy was brought in to be QB2 on a cheap one year deal after KP got traded. I don't know why all the KP stans are making him the strawman in a KP thread.
He had to try and jump 8 feet in the air to catch it. Do you think you do that from a full sprint? Put his feet on the ground and its 8 feet over his head.

Convenient frame to pause, when the ball is already past him and at a lower point in it's trajectory. Go a couple frames earlier when the ball is near his front hand and its going to be several feet higher.

I'm glad you posted this, as it's further confirmation of how badly it was overthrown.

I appear to be more analytical than some here. Heck maybe it’s just more patience. And maybe even too much patience. Sam Darnold is in Minnesota with good talent. I think he’s going into year 7 now? I would assume most people wrote him off a long time ago and I understand that. But the guy had 1st round pedigree. People who are paid a lot of money to evaluate talent believed in him and invested in him. I refuse to believe that players turn out to be so bad in an instant when they had that kind of pedigree. In his case he went to the QB killing Jets and then went to Carolina. This now is the season when he may finally get to show who he is. Minnesota appears to be a good situation for any QB. It’s actually too bad he’s there, because when their starter went down, and if Darnold wasn’t there, the Eagles could have turned that low draft pick they gave up for Kenny and traded him to a higher pick from the Vikings. Then we all could have seen Kenny in a real offense and maybe put this issue to bed. That’s all most of us want to see. I don’t care about his career. I just want to see if he was one of the Tatoinne cantina of Star Wars freaks that was the steeler offense, or if he just happened to walk into it and get swallowed up in the cess pool.
I suspect with Darnold at the helm Vikes fans are about to find out how good they had it with Cousins.

He had to try and jump 8 feet in the air to catch it. Do you think you do that from a full sprint? Put his feet on the ground and its 8 feet over his head.

Convenient frame to pause, when the ball is already past him and at a lower point in it's trajectory. Go a couple frames earlier when the ball is near his front hand and its going to be several feet higher.

I'm glad you posted this, as it's further confirmation of how badly it was overthrown.
He stopped at the 5 and started running again. The frame just shows how far the ball was from his hand. there's nothing misleading about it lol. You can gaslight all you want, but the video is clear as day for the world to see. And if you actually read.my post, I said it was overthrown, but not 8 feet over his head. and if he wouldn't have stopped on the 5 and then tried to adjust it would've been much closer.

I suspect with Darnold at the helm Vikes fans are about to find out how good they had it with Cousins.

I go back and forth on what I expect from Darnold. I tend to agree with you, but I wouldn't be shocked if has a good - not great - season. He didn't have much to work with in Carolina once McCaffrey got hurt, should have more playmakers in Minnesota.

I am trying to think any QB who has failed or struggled with 2 teams and then went on to a 3rd team and had success? It is really hard to think of one. Anyone??

He stopped at the 5 and started running again. The frame just shows how far the ball was from his hand. there's nothing misleading about it lol. You can gaslight all you want, but the video is clear as day for the world to see. And if you actually read.my post, I said it was overthrown, but not 8 feet over his head. and if he wouldn't have stopped on the 5 and then tried to adjust it would've been much closer.
I never saw him stop. WRs don't catch the ball when it's past their body. Back the video one frame and it's 3 feet over his left hand, after he's jumped 3 feet in the air. So standing on the ground, yeah it's 8 feet over his head.

Here’s an example of armchair quarterbacks irresponsibly making comments:

Tell me you didn’t watch the game without telling me you didn’t watch the game! But typical yinzers will pick up on this, and additional blue check mark dolts who think their opinion is important will repeat it. And before you know it, around town everything will be Russ’ fault.

I happen to be one who prefers Fields in this mess, but the above editorial from schlereth stinks.
I like what you did there

I never saw him stop. WRs don't catch the ball when it's past their body. Back the video one frame and it's 3 feet over his left hand, after he's jumped 3 feet in the air. So standing on the ground, yeah it's 8 feet over his head.
he slowed down for no reason at all. not a stop but made zero sense for him slowing down. i agree, terrible ball regardless and it wasnt getting caught.

the wr will be off the team at first cuts, this route didnt help his cause.

Reactions: Burgh15
"Standing on the ground" is moving the goalposts. If he was sitting or laying down it was even further away. so what? That isn't what happened so it's irrelevant.

He doesn't come to a complete stop but it's obvious he misjudges the ball when he plants his left foot at the 5 to stop but then stutters and takes 4 more steps before leaping. If he doesn't do that he's two running steps further when the ball arrives which is probably at least 3 yards deeper in the end zone. And on top of that, the ball didn't go into the stands or anything, it landed on the R in the enzone about 7 yards deep. You act like he threw it to PNC Park ala Brady Quinn.

Nobody said Fields looked like Johnny Unitas out there. And nobody cares because he was brought in as a flyer to be QB2 for one year, once KP was already being dealt. If he pans out great, if not, they move on. still has ZERO to do with KP. So either you're desperately defending Rudolph, or you should be whining about Wilson instead. But hey, preseason play doesn't mean anything right? Or does that standard just apply to the Eagles?

I am starting to believe if Tomlin has his way we are going to run the Veer option offense and take it back to 1975 when men were men.

The first time. He came crawling back to the Steelers on a one year deal if I remember correctly.
He's now a Titan, I believe. Good luck to him, and them.
he's a titan and pretty much locked up the backup spot. but yeah, if im Rudolph, i'd avoid tomlin and the steelers like the plague..

Stopped to catch the ball, but then ran 5 yards? ok.

Fields has nothing to do with KP at all. KP was gone to the Eagles. If you were fighting for Rudolph that would at least make some sense since they pulled his offer to bring in Fields.
Fields
Stinks all on his own

I am starting to believe if Tomlin has his way we are going to run the Veer option offense and take it back to 1975 when men were men.
With these qbs it’s a good plan
But it’s amazing how Tomlin is to blame
- but when we had 3 pro bowl linemen , bell , ab , heath , Holmes , even juju -
The offense scored a ton and Tomlin didn’t seem to mind
He’s not Narduzzi

"Standing on the ground" is moving the goalposts. If he was sitting or laying down it was even further away. so what? That isn't what happened so it's irrelevant.

He doesn't come to a complete stop but it's obvious he misjudges the ball when he plants his left foot at the 5 to stop but then stutters and takes 4 more steps before leaping. If he doesn't do that he's two running steps further when the ball arrives which is probably at least 3 yards deeper in the end zone. And on top of that, the ball didn't go into the stands or anything, it landed on the R in the enzone about 7 yards deep. You act like he threw it to PNC Park ala Brady Quinn.

Nobody said Fields looked like Johnny Unitas out there. And nobody cares because he was brought in as a flyer to be QB2 for one year, once KP was already being dealt. If he pans out great, if not, they move on. still has ZERO to do with KP. So either you're desperately defending Rudolph, or you should be whining about Wilson instead. But hey, preseason play doesn't mean anything right? Or does that standard just apply to the Eagles?
Not moving any goalposts. In case you missed it, this is what I posted: "He had to try and jump 8 feet in the air to catch it. Do you think you do that from a full sprint? Put his feet on the ground and its 8 feet over his head."

Maybe he slowed or stuttered because he was trying to figure out what to do with a ball that was 8 feet over his head. You can't jump like he did from a full speed run. Which is another thing I said in that same post. You either sprint and dive, or time your steps right and jump. It was a bad throw that nobody was catching, so I don't understand these machinations of trying to blame the WR. A bad throw with everything in front of him, good visibility, easy footwork, a nice pocket, and no pressure. It doesn't get any easier, and that's exactly why Fields will never be what people hope.

I never brought KP up and really haven't said much about him in this thread at all (other than I wished the Steelers never drafted him). My comments have been related to the QBs they have, because that's all that's relevant at this point. They look pretty awful so far, and it doesn't look like an upgrade from what they had. This is also without Matt Canada.

Not moving any goalposts. In case you missed it, this is what I posted: "He had to try and jump 8 feet in the air to catch it. Do you think you do that from a full sprint? Put his feet on the ground and its 8 feet over his head."

Maybe he slowed or stuttered because he was trying to figure out what to do with a ball that was 8 feet over his head. You can't jump like he did from a full speed run. Which is another thing I said in that same post. You either sprint and dive, or time your steps right and jump. It was a bad throw that nobody was catching, so I don't understand these machinations of trying to blame the WR. A bad throw with everything in front of him, good visibility, easy footwork, a nice pocket, and no pressure. It doesn't get any easier, and that's exactly why Fields will never be what people hope.

I never brought KP up and really haven't said much about him in this thread at all (other than I wished the Steelers never drafted him). My comments have been related to the QBs they have, because that's all that's relevant at this point. They look pretty awful so far, and it doesn't look like an upgrade from what they had. This is also without Matt Canada.
Just for reference, whether you realize it or not, you're in a thread about Kenny Pickett. Maybe your participating in a strawman argument without you realizing it, I don't know.

if you watch the video, the wr went to stop on the 5 and then started back running and didn't jump till he was past the 1. if you watch it, it's there. others in this thread have corroborated it. This isn't like some sort of opinion thing. they covered the play from 3 different angles. and if it was 8 yards over his head, it would've had to have sailed out of the end zone as he landed 5 yards deep. it didnt. but keep gaslighting and maybe you'll convince one person to not believe their own eyes.

Just for reference, whether you realize it or not, you're in a thread about Kenny Pickett. Maybe your participating in a strawman argument without you realizing it, I don't know.

if you watch the video, the wr went to stop on the 5 and then started back running and didn't jump till he was past the 1. if you watch it, it's there. others in this thread have corroborated it. This isn't like some sort of opinion thing. they covered the play from 3 different angles. and if it was 8 yards over his head, it would've had to have sailed out of the end zone as he landed 5 yards deep. it didnt. but keep gaslighting and maybe you'll convince one person to not believe their own eyes.
JFC, do you have nothing better to do with your sad life, Big Pretend boi?

Reactions: 4Mark_Marty
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT