ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett

I know you are one of the worset trolls on this site, but the Eagles are playing all 3rd string+ skill players. They are showing absolutely nothing of their new playbook and all 3 of the backup QBs to Hurts are pretty much only dumping it off or throwing it short. Kenny may or may not be a serviceable QB in the NFL, but this Yinzer revelry and hatred is beyond pathetic.
Yes, for Kenny, it is always everyone else's fault.

I know you are one of the worset trolls on this site, but the Eagles are playing all 3rd string+ skill players. They are showing absolutely nothing of their new playbook and all 3 of the backup QBs to Hurts are pretty much only dumping it off or throwing it short. Kenny may or may not be a serviceable QB in the NFL, but this Yinzer revelry and hatred is beyond pathetic.
Literally type Pickett into Google and see what the national and local Philly media is saying about the game. Dont' go on Twitter to see the Philly reaction because you seem to be so sensitive that you may have to lie down on your fainting couch afterwards.

I hope Kenny has a great NFL career playing for teams that aren't Philly or in the AFC North. Hell, I'd be happy to see Pickett rejoin the Steelers even if his role is Charlie Batch 2.0. I definitely would have preferred him to Fields on the roster because he's a Pitt grad and a known commodity. I was disappointed in the way he handled the Russ signing, wilting in the face of having to compete against an aging star, but I certainly hope he lands on his feet (but not in Philly or the AFC North).

I watched a good bit of the game last night and the offense was mostly 2nd and 3rd team guys. KP did play against the better Pats defense in the first half. The other guy got more of the Pats back up defensive players. Most of the OL and receivers didn't change for the Eagles as they were already playing two 3rd string OL by the third drive. KP did seem to take the easy throws/check downs early but the offense was moving. The Pats started bringing a lot of pressure after the first drive and the Eagles OL didn't hold up well. Pocket collapsed very quickly from then on. Kind of a mixed bag overall IMO as I do think KP doesn't try to go downfield very much but at the same time he wasn't getting much help from wrs and OL that won't see the field in regular season for the Eagles. The other QB had pretty much similar guys he was working with but he also played against the Pats D that was most likely guys that won't play for them either in regular season so it's hard to say he was that much better when he went against a lesser defense.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt and 303vND
Sad and pathetic!

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79 and Fk_Pitt
Here's a write up comparing him and McKee last night

Are we supposed to care what happens in preseason now? I can’t keep up.

I looked at the stats last night before the game was over and Kenny was 11/13 and the other dude was 8/9. Both had a low yards per attempt. Then the rookie must have blown up on a game winning drive? Gee if only Kenny was good at game winning drives.

Reactions: FireballZ
I'd say I'm excited for the regular season to start so this topic can be put to rest for a while; but I'm not so sure there won't be weekly articles analyzing Pickett's body language while holding the clipboard on the sidelines at this point.

Are we supposed to care what happens in preseason now? I can’t keep up.

I looked at the stats last night before the game was over and Kenny was 11/13 and the other dude was 8/9. Both had a low yards per attempt. Then the rookie must have blown up on a game winning drive? Gee if only Kenny was good at game winning drives.
I don't care what you care about. I was just attaching an article that added some context to the things you wondered aloud about. Don't be so sensitive. Here's another take, please try not to be triggered (oh that's right, you don't care):

0-6 on throws over 10 yards so far this year.

• Haha
Reactions: Pitt79
I don't care what you care about. I was just attaching an article that added some context to the things you wondered aloud about. Don't be so sensitive. Here's another take, please try not to be triggered (oh that's right, you don't care):

I’m not directing anything toward you specifically. It’s just funny that the same people who can’t wait to discuss Kenny negatively are using the preseason games that they have been telling us don’t matter But thanks for sharing that tweet from Warren sharp that we already saw in this thread and was my reason for calling Kenny a check down merchant. I guess you just really want to drive the point home.

It's the same Kenny. Great college QB, not an NFL QB. The Steelers screwed up. Not screwed him up mind you, but they screwed up by selecting him in Rd 1 when it was obvious no one else had a 1st rd grade on him. Thankfully Kevin Colbert has retired.

Now on to the Steelers, they are in a predicament as discussed above. What do they do next year? And here's the thing, next year's QB class (at least at this point) is not very good. It is funny with all of these passing offenses and the focus on quarterbacks now in college, there are less and less coming out ready to play in the NFL. Contrast that to the 70's, when most colleges run 65% of the time, threw 35% of the time, 3/4's of the league had competent to very good QB's.

I’m not directing anything toward you specifically. It’s just funny that the same people who can’t wait to discuss Kenny negatively are using the preseason games that they have been telling us don’t matter But thanks for sharing that tweet from Warren sharp that we already saw in this thread and was my reason for calling Kenny a check down merchant. I guess you just really want to drive the point home.
It's just some people are still doing mental gymnastics in trying to defend the guy despite more damning evidence. It's okay, 80% of 1st rd QB's fail. Especially those picked in the second half of Rd 1.

Reactions: Pitt79

Just curious if you watched the game or not? Some of that is on Pickett but he did throw 2 nicer long balls that were good throws and even the announcers said the wr on one and the rb on the other should have adjusted and caught the ball. Sometimes it's not only on the QB. Seems like there are two sides - all his fault or everyone else's fault when the truth is probably in between.

It's the same Kenny. Great college QB, not an NFL QB. The Steelers screwed up. Not screwed him up mind you, but they screwed up by selecting him in Rd 1 when it was obvious no one else had a 1st rd grade on him. Thankfully Kevin Colbert has retired.

Now on to the Steelers, they are in a predicament as discussed above. What do they do next year? And here's the thing, next year's QB class (at least at this point) is not very good. It is funny with all of these passing offenses and the focus on quarterbacks now in college, there are less and less coming out ready to play in the NFL. Contrast that to the 70's, when most colleges run 65% of the time, threw 35% of the time, 3/4's of the league had competent to very good QB's.
If he’s not an nfl QB then Tomlin and colbert are horrible talent evaluators. But I hesitate to say that about him. He’s at least a very serviceable backup. His winning percentage in games he’s started and finished is at an ELITE level.

Reactions: FireballZ
Just curious if you watched the game or not? Some of that is on Pickett but he did throw 2 nicer long balls that were good throws and even the announcers said the wr on one and the rb on the other should have adjusted and caught the ball. Sometimes it's not only on the QB.
Not when Kenny is the QB.

It's just some people are still doing mental gymnastics in trying to defend the guy despite more damning evidence. It's okay, 80% of 1st rd QB's fail. Especially those picked in the second half of Rd 1.
It’s not more damning evidence. If we are to throw out last preseason, then we should throw out this one too. All we have is Canada Kenny and post Canada Kenny.

Sorry, I didn't see it had been posted (still don't).

For the record, I was as bullish as anyone on KP during/after the preseason last year. I thought the Steelers were ready for a Superbowl run and nobody couldve convinced me otherwise. So I guess, in that regard, you are correct.

Just curious if you watched the game or not? Some of that is on Pickett but he did throw 2 nicer long balls that were good throws and even the announcers said the wr on one and the rb on the other should have adjusted and caught the ball. Sometimes it's not only on the QB. Seems like there are two sides - all his fault or everyone else's fault when the truth is probably in between.
we're all 6 of his attempts over 10 yards so far on the receivers? this is starting to sound familiar.

I'd say I'm excited for the regular season to start so this topic can be put to rest for a while; but I'm not so sure there won't be weekly articles analyzing Pickett's body language while holding the clipboard on the sidelines at this point.
i could go a lifetime not hearing the name pickett again and it would still be too soon.

I said a while back this will be like Jamie Dixon on the hoops board. This won’t be dying for years.

If he’s not an nfl QB then Tomlin and colbert are horrible talent evaluators. But I hesitate to say that about him. He’s at least a very serviceable backup. His winning percentage in games he’s started and finished is at an ELITE level.
I’m sure every team has a laundry list of failed high picks. Not just QBs. There’s no question some are better at evaluation than others, and I don’t know who they are, but nobody can be judged based off of 1 first round selection.

I’ve always said he’s an NFL qb, just not a high level one. He should be around for years unless he’s a PITA, which time will tell.

Well, it pains me to say that Tomlin has missed every time on QBs. I guess the jury's still out on Fields and Wilson, but it's not looking great.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
we're all 6 of his attempts over 10 yards so far on the receivers? this is starting to sound familiar.
If you really read my statement I mentioned two. There was at least one more but I think two that were penalties on the OL that came back so unfortunately they don't count. Actually watching the game helps to give context rather than just what someone else says. If you think I am trying to say KP played great, I am not. I do think he is taking too many "safe" throws but there were also times the announcers commented that the wrs (who are not any of their top wrs but guys that are 4,5,6 on the depth chart) were not getting any separation. I don't think there is much to take away from that game good or bad.

If you really read my statement I mentioned two. There was at least one more but I think two that were penalties on the OL that came back so unfortunately they don't count. Actually watching the game helps to give context rather than just what someone else says. If you think I am trying to say KP played great, I am not. I do think he is taking too many "safe" throws but there were also times the announcers commented that the wrs (who are not any of their top wrs but guys that are 4,5,6 on the depth chart) were not getting any separation. I don't think there is much to take away from that game good or bad.
I was referring to him being 0-6 on throws over 10 yards in the 2 games. My point was that, at some point, it can't just be on everyone else. I mean his completions averaged .7 yards of air time last night.

I was referring to him being 0-6 on throws over 10 yards in the 2 games. My point was that, at some point, it can't just be on everyone else. I mean his completions averaged .7 yards of air time last night.
Understood and I agree it can't always be on everyone else either. I do think if you watched the game you may also agree that a lot of things were not on him either.

if steelers fans are frustrated with kenny checking down, they are gonna love Russell Wilson Lol.
Yeah well at least we will have a mediocre offensive coach and system instead of a middle school system and coach. The offense will be better.

Yeah well at least we will have a mediocre offensive coach and system instead of a middle school system and coach. The offense will be better.
you have much more confidence in this wr group than i do. if im the opposing DC playing the steelers, i take out pickens with 2 and 3 defensive players on passing downs and dare Muth and van jefferson to beat me..

our run game will be better but running the ball doesnt win games. sustain a drive or two but a good nfl team doesnt lose to a team with a good run game who cant throw the ball.

i hope im wrong..

you have much more confidence in this wr group than i do. if im the opposing DC playing the steelers, i take out pickens with 2 and 3 defensive players on passing downs and dare Muth and van jefferson to beat me..

our run game will be better but running the ball doesnt win games. sustain a drive or two but a good nfl team doesnt lose to a team with a good run game who cant throw the ball.

i hope im wrong..
I do. This offense uses play action where the old one didn’t. With Canada, Defenses had the answers to the test before each and every play. Also the coordinator is a real coach who can script plays based on what the defense is doing to open up other things, not just running plays for the sake of running plays like we did on the playground as children. This will be a middle of the pack offense. Even if it’s ranked 22nd, it’s still an improvement.

I do. This offense uses play action where the old one didn’t. With Canada, Defenses had the answers to the test before each and every play. Also the coordinator is a real coach who can script plays based on what the defense is doing to open up other things, not just running plays for the sake of running plays like we did on the playground as children. This will be a middle of the pack offense. Even if it’s ranked 22nd, it’s still an improvement.
In other words, even with a “non NFL QB”, like Kenny Pickett, the offense would be better.

James Conner, Damar Hamlin, and Tyler Boyd are all expected to be week 1 starters. Please explain to me how they are "worse off" than a QB that is almost, barring injury, guaranteed not to be the starter?
Pickett is a multimillionaire. He will make a lot more millions as a backup for years. From a macro point of view, he could make more money than the others. Yes, he may not live his NFL dream of being a starter and going to the Super Bowl, but thousands of other players don't as well.

Pickett is a multimillionaire. He will make a lot more millions as a backup for years. From a macro point of view, he could make more money than the others. Yes, he may not live his NFL dream of being a starter and going to the Super Bowl, but thousands of other players don't as well.
yes, we are all happy for him about his bank account. but again, from a steelers perspective, it was a brutally wasted draft pick that will set up back for years.

yes, we are all happy for him about his bank account. but again, from a steelers perspective, it was a brutally wasted draft pick that will set up back for years.
The only part that set them back is he didn't work out as the starting QB. They moved on quickly. Better to move on from a QB who you don't think can win you a title than give a guy like Daniel Jones a huge long-term contract.

Will it though? I’m a big basher of the Tomlin/colbert team each spring, but maybe they took their shot and it made sense at the time. I might be wrong but I don’t think they would have had a shot at a QB in the next two drafts. I’m welcome to be corrected by someone as I might be having a brain cramp. But we’d still be in the same position today with or without Kenny. Yeah we probably would have taken Linderbaum and had our center, and then would have used our 2nd round pick on someone else this year. But we’d still be without a franchise QB. Tomlin liked him, he was wrong on Kenny being a future elite QB, but he took his chance. And I bet that pick was all Tomlin. Colbert knew he wasn’t going to have to live with the pick.

Actually, I would have preferred the Steelers to win the game, what sane Steelers fan wouldn't? That's the question? You apparently aren't a Steelers fan; you are a fan of individual players in the NFL based on where they went to school.

It didn't bother me when Fitzgerald scored 2 TDs in the Super Bowl vs the Steelers AFTER THE STEELERS WON THE GAME.

Let me ask you? Do you have a favorite NFL team? Do you root for that team to fail when they go against former Pitt players?
I want pitt players to have success
That same X account nailed it with the post before the one mentioned on this board:

"Kenny Pickett never does anything egregious. But he also never does anything impressive.

He started 24 games in Pittsburgh and threw a whopping 13 TD passes.

He kind of just exists out there."
Ball Protection is an underrated quality
As we will see with fields who is trubisky2.0

• Love
Reactions: Fk_Pitt and 303vND
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT