ADVERTISEMENT

Pickett

I can’t believe he didn’t make a play with that 1.4 seconds of protection and receivers blanketed
The bum!
Glad fields doesn’t take sacks , or kills drives with fumbled snaps .
Plus Russ having menstrual cramps so missing practice
You can criticize Kenny and that has NOTHING AT ALL to do with Fields and Wilson. Mutually EXCLUSIVE.

I want pitt players to have success

Ball Protection is an underrated quality
As we will see with fields who is trubisky2.0

I don't think it's underrated; it's very important, and everyone knows that.

Unfortunately, that was only half of what was posted. Kenny isn't very good at making big plays happen.

I don't know that the Dink-Dunk-Punt offense is one that is going to catch on quite like the West Coast has.

Reactions: cbpitt2 and Pitt79
What exactly does Kenny need to be an okay NFL starter?

No Canada, All Pro O-line and recievers plus top run game and OC of the year candidate I suppose? At this point, if you plugged Kenny into the SF team and put him in Purdy's job, I don't have the confidence that he'd succeed?

Even now in Philly, the Kenny apologists claim it's not Kenny, it's the bad O line protection, the 2nd team receivers, bad play calling, it's like the circumstances have to be 110% perfect or it's not fair to criticize KP.

What exactly does Kenny need to be an okay NFL starter?

No Canada, All Pro O-line and recievers plus top run game and OC of the year candidate I suppose? At this point, if you plugged Kenny into the SF team and put him in Purdy's job, I don't have the confidence that he'd succeed?

Even now in Philly, the Kenny apologists claim it's not Kenny, it's the bad O line protection, the 2nd team receivers, bad play calling, it's like the circumstances have to be 110% perfect or it's not fair to criticize KP.
And yet the Steeler didn't give him any of those things - frankly, they handcuffed him with quite the opposite.

Reactions: Pittduck
Pickett is a multimillionaire. He will make a lot more millions as a backup for years. From a macro point of view, he could make more money than the others. Yes, he may not live his NFL dream of being a starter and going to the Super Bowl, but thousands of other players don't as well.
It definitely seemed like you were arguing they were worse of in their careers than Kenny, which I'd argue all of them would agree a starting position would be preferable to getting paid as a backup.

If you meant financially, then maybe Kenny could eventually pass all of them even if he remains a journeyman backup making $2.5-4 million per season. But that in no way backs up your definitive statement that "All the guys I mentioned (and there are more) who are worse off than Kenny". I don't think any of the three former Pitt players you mentioned are worse off than Kenny at the moment, except maybe Damar who is playing for his next contract and he will likely get below market value because of the injury.

Say what you want about his situation with the Stillers, but he's now with a team that runs a productive offensive system with a proven OC, behind decent OL (does the Eagles coach play the best players or does he dick around?), and WRs who aren't diva bitches and will block.

I noticed the Pittsburgh media picked up on a tweet that said KP is "struggling" and would be battling for the #2 spot with a rookie, but seemed to totally ignore when he did well in practice. No surprise from those jabronies.
This is tough. I grant him all respect for helping us win the ACC title. But it feels to me like he is disinclined to learning how to improve as a pro. He seems to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Does anyone on this board know him more than just casually? Is he a hard worker or seemingly just stubborn.

If he’s not an nfl QB then Tomlin and colbert are horrible talent evaluators. But I hesitate to say that about him. He’s at least a very serviceable backup. His winning percentage in games he’s started and finished is at an ELITE level.
Well they supposedly had a 1st rd grade on Mason Rudolph. So..... They drafted Landry Jones in the 3rd rd. Yeah.....don't want those two teaming up for QB choices.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
This is tough. I grant him all respect for helping us win the ACC title. But it feels to me like he is disinclined to learning how to improve as a pro. He seems to continue to make the same mistakes over and over again.

Does anyone on this board know him more than just casually? Is he a hard worker or seemingly just stubborn.
He's just limited physically. That plus he is slow going through reads and holds onto the ball too long. Has poor pocket presence.

Other than that, he's great!

He's just limited physically. That plus he is slow going through reads and holds onto the ball too long. Has poor pocket presence.

Other than that, he's great!
Maybe the Eagles staff is handcuffing. Or maybe, just maybe, pro coaches recognize his limitations.

11-13 is wonderful. But for 60 some yards - is nothing short of awful.

Maybe the Eagles staff is handcuffing. Or maybe, just maybe, pro coaches recognize his limitations.

11-13 is wonderful. But for 60 some yards - is nothing short of awful.
Actually he showed the ability to uncork a few nice looking deep balls. He also had a joint practice with them a few days prior where he went up against the 2's and looked great so maybe the coaches know things we don't do Pickett is the #2 and he would have looked far better with better talent around him. Kenny Pickett is one of the most scrutinized and over analyzed quarterbacks in the NFL. Same thing with Fields so I feel for Steelers fans. I think he took a lot of unnecessary crap this. Not a Steelers fan but I can objectively admit none of us know what the coaches aim to show in these games.

It's OK to admit when a Pitt guy STINKS. Pickett is a brutal NFL QB. But who cares? We won the ACC with him at QB because he was a damn good college player. I promise you- your life will be OK if you admit that Kenny will never be a good NFL player. It's not all Matt Canada's fault.

Kenny had 5 quarters under the new offensive setup and did quite well. Rudolph played well but let’s not kid ourselves, he didn’t go up against the most stout defenses.
Two of the worst defenses in the league, a Raven team that already clinched, a somewhat competent OC and an offensive line that was playing their best football.

Last edited:
You can criticize Kenny and that has NOTHING AT ALL to do with Fields and Wilson. Mutually EXCLUSIVE.
Incan criticize them because they are the current qbs who’s last teams threw away . After their teams lost a bunch

Incan criticize them because they are the current qbs who’s last teams threw away . After their teams lost a bunch
I just noticed your avatar. Funny as hell. I didn’t think you had a sense of humor or that you liked satire. Good to know that you do.

I just noticed your avatar. Funny as hell. I didn’t think you had a sense of humor or that you liked satire. Good to know that you do.
90% of my posts are sarcastic -
I just doesn’t covey
I don’t want anyone’s eye liner to smear

90% of my posts are sarcastic -
I just doesn’t covey
I don’t want anyone’s eye liner to smear
Well satire is really funny when it actually comes true one day. So if that Wentworth gaffe ever happens it will be super funny and prophetic. The couch one, I’m not sure if it’s satire because it’s just a blatant lie. But I like good smack talk and that’s pretty funny. Just not as funny as how it duped a lot of dummies.

Yes, for Kenny, it is always everyone else's fault.
A large portion of Steeler fans are just a very entitled and unknowledgeable, albeit passionate, cult, not very dissimilar from Penn State. They are unable to see the world outside of the Steeler bubble. They expect a young QB to pad the stat book, AND WIN, yet are generally okay with a coach that has made your franchise irrelevant in the grand scheme of things outside of what, one season over the last decade and a half?

Kenny may or may not ever be more than a backup QB in the NFL. However, when it mattered at the end of games, he got the job done and showed he can make the pressure throws, despite a stone-aged HC, a horrid OC, and a very bad OL and arguably a bottom 5 receiving unit. Despite this, he was 13-7 (65%) in games in which he played from start-to-finish, even after an 0-3 start. So, he was 13-4 in his last 17 (76%) games as a starter, yet he was still not appreciated by the vocal mouth breathing, yinzer population and media. I'd say that is a pretty good way to start your career on a mediocre team in a tough division.

He was run out of town by the Steelers and their fans, who now are vengeful and butthurt, plain and simple. I would agree that he could have handled some things a bit better and if he has attitude issues, those won't fly as a backup, and his career will be shorter than he'd like.

At the end of the day, I trust the Eagles talent evaluation immensely more than the Steelers. Picking apart Kenny's preseason play in an utterly vanilla situation where the HC DOES NOT play the starters and DOES NOT show the playbook, is nothing more than sour grapes.

A large portion of Steeler fans are just a very entitled and unknowledgeable, albeit passionate, cult, not very dissimilar from Penn State. They are unable to see the world outside of the Steeler bubble. They expect a young QB to pad the stat book, AND WIN, yet are generally okay with a coach that has made your franchise irrelevant in the grand scheme of things outside of what, one season over the last decade and a half?

Kenny may or may not ever be more than a backup QB in the NFL. However, when it mattered at the end of games, he got the job done and showed he can make the pressure throws, despite a stone-aged HC, a horrid OC, and a very bad OL and arguably a bottom 5 receiving unit. Despite this, he was 13-7 (65%) in games in which he played from start-to-finish, even after an 0-3 start. So, he was 13-4 in his last 17 (76%) games as a starter, yet he was still not appreciated by the vocal mouth breathing, yinzer population and media. I'd say that is a pretty good way to start your career on a mediocre team in a tough division.

He was run out of town by the Steelers and their fans, who now are vengeful and butthurt, plain and simple. I would agree that he could have handled some things a bit better and if he has attitude issues, those won't fly as a backup, and his career will be shorter than he'd like.

At the end of the day, I trust the Eagles talent evaluation immensely more than the Steelers. Picking apart Kenny's preseason play in an utterly vanilla situation where the HC DOES NOT play the starters and DOES NOT show the playbook, is nothing more than sour grapes.
THE END...MIC DROP!!!

Speaking of seeing things through a specific bubble.

Reactions: cbpitt2

Oh boy will this be a long one with some interesting stats from someone "unknowledgeable."

-First off, about Kenny's age and being able to produce. Do you know how many QBs Kenny's age or younger had more yards per game AND Touchdowns than Kenny last year? 15. He was arguably the 16th best 25-or-under quarterback in the league last year.

- The best thing that can be said about Kenny's performance is that he didn't obviously lose games, unless you count only being responsible for 3 touchdowns and 9 turnovers in the 9 games that he lost while starting and playing 60%+ of the snaps.

-Everyone talks about his Game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks like it was all him and not a product of ignoring the end zone for the previous 3.5 quarters while constantly getting bailed out by the defense. Sure, he was good in the final 4 minutes of the game, but that's pretty much it. Kenny didn't even perform to the level of an average QB when looking at the 4th quarter in general.

CmpAttPct.YdsTdIntRatingSacks

Surely that stands out against some other QBs in the league that are barely starters. None of these guys are even considered to be average NFL QBs. How many of these guys would you consider "clutch" and how many would you want to be the Steelers' starting QB?
NameCmpAttPctYdsTdsIntRatingSacks
Tyrod Taylor27846459.91315720128442
Trubisky31953060.193212221877.234
Gardner Minshew26145357.622919221282.130
Desmond Riddler9313966.9112503490.56
Zach Wilson17630358.092111997739
Jameis Winston50884660.056456473784.257
Brian Hoyer28147359.413432251685.324
Justin FieldsNotGoingToPostBecauseIWillCry

But Russell Wilson had an absolutely terrible season last year and is basically worthless, or at least that's what I've been told multiple times on this board. So clearly his 4th quarter stats last year must have been horrible.

Not to mention the Steelers were 5-1 in the division with him mostly at the helm.

not sure if it was coach speak but Sirianni said after the game that Kenny faced the #1 defense with the eagles number 2 offense and the pass rush and sakes was a result of that. McKee didn’t face that. He said that at no given time did Kenny miss a read or make a mistake. So…it sounds like a little bit of the Pittsburgh situation. Jailbreak city that exploits the QBs main deficiency.
Oh boy will this be a long one with some interesting stats from someone "unknowledgeable."

-First off, about Kenny's age and being able to produce. Do you know how many QBs Kenny's age or younger had more yards per game AND Touchdowns than Kenny last year? 15. He was arguably the 16th best 25-or-under quarterback in the league last year.

- The best thing that can be said about Kenny's performance is that he didn't obviously lose games, unless you count only being responsible for 3 touchdowns and 9 turnovers in the 9 games that he lost while starting and playing 60%+ of the snaps.

-Everyone talks about his Game winning drives and 4th quarter comebacks like it was all him and not a product of ignoring the end zone for the previous 3.5 quarters while constantly getting bailed out by the defense. Sure, he was good in the final 4 minutes of the game, but that's pretty much it. Kenny didn't even perform to the level of an average QB when looking at the 4th quarter in general.

Surely that stands out against some other QBs in the league that are barely starters. None of these guys are even considered to be average NFL QBs. How many of these guys would you consider "clutch" and how many would you want to be the Steelers' starting QB?

But Russell Wilson had an absolutely terrible season last year and is basically worthless, or at least that's what I've been told multiple times on this board. So clearly his 4th quarter stats last year must have been horrible.

“Late in games”

You mean the part of the game where the OC’s mic is turned off, and Tomlin requiring him to be a conservative game manager mode is also turned off?

Last edited:
Reactions: 303vND

A very fair assessment. Well done!

Not to mention the Steelers were 5-1 in the division with him mostly at the helm.

not sure if it was coach speak but Sirianni said after the game that Kenny faced the #1 defense with the eagles number 2 offense and the pass rush and sakes was a result of that. McKee didn’t face that. He said that at no given time did Kenny miss a read or make a mistake. So…it sounds like a little bit of the Pittsburgh situation. Jailbreak city that exploits the QBs main deficiency.

“Late in games”

You mean the part of the game where the OC’s mic is turned off, and Tomlin requiring him to be a conservative game manager mode is also turned off?
Fk...the mob doesn't like facts.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
And yet the Steeler didn't give him any of those things - frankly, they handcuffed him with quite the opposite.
So, he's not exceptionally talented if he needs everything to be perfect.

Maybe Kenny knew about Russell's 4Q stats and that's why he tapped out rather than compete.

The Steelers fanbase isn't remotely close to the Penn State fanbase and I understand there's a lot of crossover fans. Your view of the expectations from Pickett is wrong. No one needed Pickett to throw for 250+ and 3 TDs a game. Generally, fans wanted to see a young QB who was progressing in the right direction. He looked like he was in the preseason before regressing and falling into his bad habits we saw up until his senior year at Pitt. Besides not throwing downfield and running himself into pressure, the big issue was the complete lack of production in terms of scoring points and relying on the defense to basically having to play a perfect game every week in order to compete.

Pickett is a very solid backup QB right now. He works well within the system and takes zero risks so he'll protect the football. The Eagles will need a strong performance from the defense, but he won't hurt them with turnovers. He also won't help them by scoring points.

He wasn't run out of town by the Steelers and their fans, he ran himself out of town by asking to be traded. There will always be fans that will just hang on because of his play in Pittsburgh, others for the reports he refused to be a backup (even though DK refuted that), and others that he demanded a trade out of Pittsburgh. The other reason is because they are just going to argue against the diehard Pickett fans who blame everyone expect the QB himself for his performance.

My take is Pickett had an awesome year at Pitt and that was the most enjoyable year of college football in a long time. The Steelers took a shot at making him their franchise QB and yet didn't provide him with the best setting given the poor OL and terrible offensive coordinator. However, Pickett didn't make the most of his opportunities either and it became apparent he needs near perfect conditions to succeed to the level you need as a starting QB in the NFL. In the end, it was probably best for both sides to move on. Pickett gets another chance with a new team and the Steelers weren't going to waste more time with a QB who wasn't the long-term answer. I hope both do well in 2024 and beyond.

Reactions: cbpitt2
So, he's not exceptionally talented if he needs everything to be perfect.
He's talented enough to be a NFL first round draft pick...so there's that! And no one said anything about perfection - the only ask is to be competent.

He's talented enough to be a NFL first round draft pick...so there's that! And no one said anything about perfection - the only ask is to be competent.
So were hundreds and thousands of other guys who bombed (and to be clear I’m not saying or suggesting KP bombed). Once picked the only thing a 1st rounder means is that they get a little longer leash. Which made it a little more surprising the Steelers cut bait so quickly.

Last edited:
They were 3-1 in games where he played in the division. And using the Mason lens many like to apply - the defense won the Baltimore and Cleveland games, leaving Kenny 1-1. His one win was against the Bengals when he opposed a journeyman QB making his first career start. I know I wasn't impressed.

The Eagles will have a year to evaluate him, then we'll see if they exercise his 5th year option. Anyone want to lay odds on that happening?

Nobody is saying he’s exceptional. Absolutely no one. Yet you’re one of the main guys expecting him to be.
No, not at all, but I would say I did expect at least double the stat production. Say it all you want that TD passes don't matter, I don't buy it.

“Late in games”

You are still defending him? Why? Do you think he is a good QB? He is far from it. He was a horrible pick for the Steelers and another perfect example of why you don't go into drafts (rd 1) strictly focused on a single position.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT