ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates In First Place and The Place is Empty??

BuffetParrothead

Heisman Winner
Nov 22, 2015
What is going on in Pittsburgh.
The Pirates are off to a great start and PNC Park is empty like I mean really empty???

It's Masters weekend so what there's not that many golfers in PIttsburgh, its a little cold, so what Mrs Buffett and I played golf at 8:15 this morning and it was 29 F when we teed off. No frost delay what a break!

This is one reason why PITT has trouble getting coaches. A winning first place team and the place MLB Pro team in a Pro town is a ghost town!
The fans are terrible!

"it's five o'clock somewhere"
Signed: Mr Buffett
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Reactions: paulbl99
It’s more like football weather so I’m sure that has had an impact. But it was far from a sellout on opening day and fireworks last night was desolate so maybe people are finally fed up. We’ll see I guess.

Its not a little cold its frigid for this time of year. Also its not like anyone expects the pirates to end up in the top 2 in the division, they simply have started well. They unloaded the teams most popular players before the season. IF(and its very very unlikely) they are fighting for first in june the place will be filled.

The Pirates are off to a great start and PNC Park is empty like I mean really empty???

It's Masters weekend so what there's not that many golfers in PIttsburgh, its a little cold, so what Mrs Buffett and I played golf at 8:15 this morning and it was 29 F when we teed off. No frost delay what a break!

This is one reason why PITT has trouble getting coaches. A winning first place team and the place MLB Pro team in a Pro town is a ghost town!
The fans are terrible!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
People were pissed at Nutting and that had to hurt season ticket and sales for individual games.

The weather is and has been miserable so forget about walk ups....

Attendance is going to take a BIG hit this year....predictions and expectations are very low.
They probably can’t win 80.....and fans HATE Nutting.

Having said that and also think Nutting is a POS owner , still pulling for them...

Its not a little cold its frigid for this time of year. Also its not like anyone expects the pirates to end up in the top 2 in the division, they simply have started well. They unloaded the teams most popular players before the season. IF(and its very very unlikely) they are fighting for first in june the place will be filled.
Frigid? It's 40 degree's in Pittsburgh?????????????
That's not that cold!
As I said Mrs Buffett and I played golf and tee'd off when it was 29 degrees??

Cold isnt the reason the people aren't showing up! And I do agree with Paulb199 reason for lack of attendance but even that is a poor excuse.

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

Stupid ass post.

You know damn well there is a negative feeling around the team due to the offseason moves. And baseball is a long season and so the first few games do not mean that is forgotten. Plus yes the weather sucks.

So this isn’t “fans not supporting a first place team”

You’ve had some questionable posts with some of your “undertones” but this one was horrible

And relating it to Pitt and coaches????

This is an awesome sports town. Post fail trumper.

The Pirates will get plenty of support (that perhaps the ownership doesn’t deserve) if they continue to play well.

The fans here welcome it’s coaches in the fabric of the community like no other. And you post this which makes it seem like the city is a deterrent to finding a good coach. Really? I mean Capel seemed pretty happy coming here. In fact, the Steelers connection no doubt helped. Silly nitter

(And by the way, ”nitter” can refer to a pattern or approach to posting. Ducking in like a fool to say stupid shit). Even worse when you are supposedly a fan

Last edited:
Reactions: PANTHERAN
Buffet has declared war on Pittsburgh. Pittpanther44 isn’t letting it slide. How do we handle this? What is buffets punishment?

Buffet has declared war on Pittsburgh. Pittpanther44 isn’t letting it slide. How do we handle this? What is buffets punishment?

Lol - no punishment just being ignored from now on.

I hope that recruits know that this is a great place to play. Why people would try to knock it down and call themselves fans of the program is absurd.

Lol - no punishment just being ignored from now on.

I hope that recruits know that this is a great place to play. Why people would try to knock it down and call themselves fans of the program is absurd.
A lot of people on here aren’t from Pittsburgh so they take shots at us yinzers. You see it alot with regards to Steelers. Not so much pens since they win cup every year.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
The Pirates' brass violated the trust of their fan base.

They built a team to 98 wins and the fans, who had suffered for decades, had returned AND HAD FULLY BOUGHT IN! Attendance grew beyond the Pirates' projections. Fans went into that winter expecting the Pirates to ADD the final missing pieces needed to win a championship, as the fans were accustomed to seeing with the Penguins and the Steelers.

Instead, the Pirates went the other direction, letting players LEAVE and trying to say that the upcoming season will be a "bridge year". The starting pitching that they broke camp with was an insult to the paying fan base. The hopes of the fans were destroyed.

Instead, we had to hear excuses like "cost certainty" and that "The Best Managment Team in Baseball" was doing everything possible for long term viability in the current MLB environment.

Well, for years I owned 4 full season tickets in Section 214 on the Pittsburgh Baseball Club level. These are GREAT seats, right next to the patio that is located behind home plate. I bought them even when the team was losing 100 games a season. But I trusted that Nutting was on track with rebuilding the minor league infrastructure, especially the Dominican Republic. Instead of wasting big bucks on high priced free agents that often time flamed out, the Bucs were going to build from within their own system.

Skipping ahead, fans like myself were finally rewarded with the first winning season and a berth in the NL Wildcard Playoffs against Cincinnati. That "blackout" game was one of the greatest sporting events that I have ever witnessed in person...the entire night was electric. FINALLY, the Pirates were back and were competing for a championship!

That was until the "bridge year". I will never trust the Pirates brass again under current ownership. "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."

And the thousands of season ticket dollars that I gave them for years in support of our hometown Buccos, are now being spent elsewhere with no regret at all.

There are legitimate reasons why PNC Park is near empty that go far deeper than the cold weather. And most of those were self-inflicted...

Last edited:
LOL ?

We're out of towner's who travel to all PITT home games ( 600+miles rt).

Mrs Buffett and I spend a ton of money on hotels, drinks, food , and other fabulous Pittburgh entertainment, we purchase Center Ice to watch the PENS, Sunday Ticket to watch the Steelers and MLB Extra innings to watch the Pirates.
Add all that up, atending games etc. it comes to about $ 6k.
Our kids went to PITT and live in Pittsburgh so we connected!
Pirates fans still su-k!
We're more invested in your teams than you people are???

GO TO THE GAMES!

LOL!

Go PITt & CSU Rams!

Last edited:

Mrs Buffett and I spend a ton of money on hotels, drinks, food , and other fabulous Pittburgh entertainment, we purchase Center Ice to watch the PENS, Sunday Ticket to watch the Steelers and MLB Extra innings to watch the Pirates.
Our kids live in Pittsburgh so we connected!
Pirates fans still su-k!

LOL!

Go PITt & CSU Rams!
pittsburgh fans have come out in great numbers the last 5(ish) years. I’m not going to dismiss a 1/2 a decade but judge it on a series in April where the weather has been close to freezing. If you want to, knock yourself out. Just expect us to call you out on your insanity.

Our kids live in Pittsburgh so we connected!
Pirates fans still su-k!

LOL!

Go PITt & CSU Rams!
Disagree about the fans

it’s bc Nutting sucks ....

Getting exactly what he deserves....as stated earlier they destroyed a contender because that pr*wouldnt go 1 dollar over his number
...not number of wins his checkbook number.

Saved plenty of money unloading Cutch /Cole but did nothing in a very soft FA.
They are playing well....against Bushers and Tomato Cans to start the season.....and maybe they finish better than predicated..

But Nutting can stick it.....

Btw our course did not allow play today...Pgh area.

Last edited:
Reactions: Delpanther
Why drag the family out to freeze when better weather is likely just a few weeks away? It's not like football where you only get a handful of home games. Baseball isn't meant to be watched in winter gear.

Reactions: Swervin27
Why drag the family out to freeze when better weather is likely just a few weeks away? It's not like football where you only get a handful of home games. Baseball isn't meant to be watched in winter gear.
Agree 100%. I like the bucs and I’m not sitting in that weather if I had free tix with a limo dropping me off at the gate. Warmer weather, better days in the near future. No problem watching taillon’s gem from the luxury of my basement.

On an unrelated note I really hope to get back to close in Federal Street before games. I loved the atmosphere before games with a blocked street, make Clemente bridge pedestrian only at 5pm game days. The bridge construction really screwed that up last year and they couldn’t close it down.

Nothing cooler than goin down at 5pm for a home pirate weekend game, street blocked off, bends playing, hot chick in way too tight tee shirt selling beer out of a tub. Really pissed me off last year that they had that street open on game days.

Last edited:
Disagree about the fans

No Nutting sucks ....

Getting exactly what he deserves....as stated earlier they destroyed a contender because that pr*wouldnt go 1 dollar over his number
...not number of wins his checkbook number.

Saved plenty of money unloading Cutch /Cole but did nothing in a very soft FA.
They are playing well....against Bushers and Tomato Cans to start the season.....and maybe they finish better than predicated..

But Nutting can stick it.....

Btw our course did not allow play today...Pgh area.

The Cole trade was a very good one and the savings from the Cutch trade likely freed up room for Dickerson (probably an upgrade). I do agree that money should have been spent, likely to upgrade the rotation. This offense has a chance to be very good and the bullpen should be fine. I still shake my head thinking about how they let Happ go and sign a very reasonable deal with the Jays.

The Cole trade was a very good one and the savings from the Cutch trade likely freed up room for Dickerson (probably an upgrade). I do agree that money should have been spent, likely to upgrade the rotation. This offense has a chance to be very good and the bullpen should be fine. I still shake my head thinking about how they let Happ go and sign a very reasonable deal with the Jays.
Cole Cutch...OK Maybe good trades we’ll see.
Those 2 new position players are killing the ball.

It’s just everything else about Nutting.

He sucks.

Reactions: Swervin27
I do like that we have a lineup of lefty’s who can hit the ball. I don’t think we have any 35+ hr guys but I do think we have a few that can get close to 30 if they stay healthy, easily 3 they can hit 25+ not including bell.

Last edited:
With all due respect, that was one stupid post. The weather kept a few away but its mostly the criminally inept Pirate front office as the opener crowd showed. Also, calling this Pirate team "1st place" after only 6 games against the worst teams in baseball is a bit silly.

Reactions: PANTHERAN

The fans are terrible!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!
I'll tune in for the wild card game

With all due respect, that was one stupid post. The weather kept a few away but its mostly the criminally inept Pirate front office as the opener crowd showed. Also, calling this Pirate team "1st place" after only 6 games against the worst teams in baseball is a bit silly.

Yes, though I think it has as much to do with two losing seasons as it has to do with Cutch and Cole. This is a good young team with a suspect rotation. It's going to be very tough to win a playoff spot given that they chose not to bolster the rotation.

There was a patition earlier this year were more than 50,000 + Pittsburgers signed to get Nutting to sell the team and he basically said so sorry not gonna happen. A lot of us said they are boycotting this year. Could be why attendence isn’t higher. City(a lot of peope trying to get him out by not going to games) I don’t think it will work-he has too much money. Don’t know what will work to get him out of Pirates ownership. He really is not trying to win.

Last edited:
There was a patition earlier this were more than 50,000 + Pittsburgers signed to get Nutting to sell the team and he basically said so sorry not gonna happen. A lot of us said they are boycotting this year. Could be why attendence isn’t higher. City(a lot of peope trying to get him out by not going to games) I don’t think it will work-he has too much money. Don’t know what will work to get him out of Pirates ownership. He really is not trying to win.
Nothing is going to get him out of town...

they’ll always draw something, and he’ll take that payroll as low as he needs to go to still put those Large in his pocket.

We have a ton of top 100 type players in Altoona. Some of these guys pan out, we should have a bright future.

There was a patician earlier this year were more than 50,000 + Pittsburgers signed to get Nutting to sell the team and he basically said so sorry not gonna happen. A lot of us said they are boycotting this year. Could be why attendence isn’t higher. City(a lot of peope trying to get him out by not going to games) I don’t think it will work-he has too much money. Don’t know what will work to get him out of Pirates ownership. He really is not trying to win.
We have a ton of top 100 type players in Altoona. Some of these guys pan out, we should have a bright future.
He will trade them as soon as their salary gets too high

because who doesn't love mediocrity
The last 4 years, I thought we were a hell of alit better then mediocre. Last year sucked but 3+ years before that, we were damn good. Fell short of the ultimate goal but regular season was fun.

As a pitt basketball fan under Dixon, I’ve learned to discount such trivial things like post season and focus only on regular season success.

The last 4 years, I thought we were a hell of alit better then mediocre. Last year sucked but 3+ years before that, we were damn good. Fell short of the ultimate goal but regular season was fun.

As a pitt basketball fan under Dixon, I’ve learned to discount such trivial things like post season and focus only on regular season success.
The ultimate goal of playing more than one playoff game?

Official game time temperature as listed in the box score was 35.

Yeah, can't imagine why there wasn't a huge throng for any game played this week.
OK put on a jacket, a hat, gloves and come out to the game???

We played golf in colder weather than that today you p-----s!

Go PITT & CSU Rams!

True and it was cold!

Mrs Buffett had her ski hat and jacket on which amused the guys in front of us!

But the tee times were filled up!

A long time ago, when I was much younger and dumber (and you didn't think that was possible!) we played golf one time when snow flakes started falling as we were walking down the first fairway. That was not only the first time I ever played golf when it was that cold, it was also the last.

Reactions: BuffetParrothead
A long time ago, when I was much younger and dumber (and you didn't think that was possible!) we played golf one time when snow flakes started falling as we were walking down the first fairway. That was not only the first time I ever played golf when it was that cold, it was also the last.

Dumber isn't possible for you Joe!

But it is and was for us today!

Back in the day for you it was like testing the limits of "stupid" like we did today.
28 F degrees at 8:15am when Mrs Buffett and our group of 11 tee'd off.

We were looking for the Port O Johns just to warm up???

"its five o'clock somewhere"
Go PITT & CSU Rams!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT