ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt at UNC Gamethread

There is no way now you can look at this Pitt team and say they aren’t solidly in the NCCA Tournament. They have road wins at NC State, at Syracuse, and at UNC both road and home. Wins also against Virginia,Miami,and Wake Forest and a win against Northwestern on a neutral floor. That’s 7 very very solid wins. They are in the tournament easily at this point and it’s not even up for debate. They should be a 7 seed I feel given their resume. This Pitt team is good. They have experience, they are tough minded, they play good defense and they have multiple guys that can score a lot of points and shoot the ball. With the right matchups in the tournament in the brackets this Pitt team I easily feel can get to the 2nd weekend of the tournament and make the sweet 16. We have seen it each year with these teams that are successful with the transfer portal like Pitt has been. They are dreadful the year before and the next year they make the Sweet 16 and possibly more. That is who Pitt looks like this year. They definitely have a chance to be one of those teams.
If the Saint Peter's Peacocks can make the Elite 8.......

Get in. Survive. Advance. ;)

Stopping to get hit from behind used to be trey mcgowens’ signature move. I didn’t understand that call on Cummings at all. So relieved we were able to pull it out. Hail yea.

There is no way now you can look at this Pitt team and say they aren’t solidly in the NCCA Tournament. They have road wins at NC State, at Syracuse, and at UNC both road and home. Wins also against Virginia,Miami,and Wake Forest and a win against Northwestern on a neutral floor. That’s 7 very very solid wins. They are in the tournament easily at this point and it’s not even up for debate. They should be a 7 seed I feel given their resume. This Pitt team is good. They have experience, they are tough minded, they play good defense and they have multiple guys that can score a lot of points and shoot the ball. With the right matchups in the tournament in the brackets this Pitt team I easily feel can get to the 2nd weekend of the tournament and make the sweet 16. We have seen it each year with these teams that are successful with the transfer portal like Pitt has been. They are dreadful the year before and the next year they make the Sweet 16 and possibly more. That is who Pitt looks like this year. They definitely have a chance to be one of those teams.

Whoever came up with this quad stuff needs to have his nuts lathered in honey and salmon oil while he's dangled over a bear cave. Why quads? Why not 6ths? 8ths? 12ths? I don't get any of it. People are talking about it like it's some divine method. And they're talking about that Florida State loss like the wins above shouldn't cancel that out multiple times over. It's all so dumb now.

And they're talking about that Florida State loss like the wins above shouldn't cancel that out multiple times over
Agreed, many leagues I ever played in, coached in, or followed had these teams that lost plenty but had wins against teams that had much better records, those were the teams you really hated to play come tourney time, bad losses and all, because that had grit and players whom given a bad match-up could light it up that one night. Pitt is way past being like that but the point of who they have beaten remains.

Just back from watching this at a watering hole… this team has some stones, boys and gals. Could have wilted a number of times and did not. Carolina was hitting some crazy shots that would make many just throw up their hands. Great job.

Whoever came up with this quad stuff needs to have his nuts lathered in honey and salmon oil while he's dangled over a bear cave. Why quads? Why not 6ths? 8ths? 12ths? I don't get any of it. People are talking about it like it's some divine method. And they're talking about that Florida State loss like the wins above shouldn't cancel that out multiple times over. It's all so dumb now.
The announcer was discussing quads and said that Pitt lost to a quad 4 team and that could really come back to haunt them. Really crazy crap!

Did Sibande get away with a foul on the last shot? Sure looked like he got the hand.

Did Sibande get away with a foul on the last shot? Sure looked like he got the hand.
Sure looked that way. But I wonder if issue might have been that the shot wasn’t executed before time expired? I Remember, only .6 sec existed. If not, the game was over, so no foul could have occurred. Or, because Nike got ball before there was contact? I don’t know. But it looked fortunate for us either way.

Reactions: USAF Phantom
Sure looked that way. But I wonder if issue might have been that the shot wasn’t executed before time expired? I Remember, only .6 sec existed. If not, the game was over, so no foul could have occurred. Or, because Nike got ball before there was contact? I don’t know. But it looked fortunate for us either way.
Sure was waiting for a whistle!

Just for info, the following comes from the North Carolina board:

and Caleb was hammered on the wrist on the final shot which would have given us a win with a few made free throws.
Hit the ball first and all this was after the clock expired anyway (look at images that have been posted elsewhere). Bottomline is refs aren't going to call a foul at the buzzer unless you get smacked in the face.

Sure looked that way. But I wonder if issue might have been that the shot wasn’t executed before time expired?

If you watch the replay, it was a foul. Unfortunately for UNC, it didn't happen until after the clock got to zero.

For confirmation of that, the official game log does not give Love a shot attempt, and it does not give Sibande credit for a block. Because officially, neither of those things happened.

If you watch the replay, it was a foul. Unfortunately for UNC, it didn't happen until after the clock got to zero.

For confirmation of that, the official game log does not give Love a shot attempt, and it does not give Sibande credit for a block. Because officially, neither of those things happened.
I always thought that the hand was part of the ball. When close to the basket, the hand/ball gets blocked and slapped often and no foul. I think Nike slapped the hand, no body contact?

Reactions: Parkview57
I always thought that the hand was part of the ball. When close to the basket, the hand/ball gets blocked and slapped often and no foul. I think Nike slapped the hand, no body contact?

If you show the replay of that, from the close angle where you can really get a good look at it, and showed it to 100 referees without including the game clock information, and asked them if it was a foul at least 100 of them would say that it was.

If you show the replay of that, from the close angle where you can really get a good look at it, and showed it to 100 referees without including the game clock information, and asked them if it was a foul at least 100 of them would say that it was.
Wrong

Looks like any contact was indeed after the buzzer. But still, man, that was a REALLY dangerous play by Nike. Thank God it didn't wind up costing us the game.

Lots of articles about the "controversy" over the non-call on the Love 3. Yes, Sibande stupidly fouled an off-balance 3 point shooter but it was very clearly after the clock hit 0s and it wasnt that close.

They showed a replay later on that night at halftime of whatever game it was that FS1 was showing, I forget which off the top of my head, and he obviously hit him on the hand. If there was still time on the clock, and there obviously was not, it was clearly a foul.

Of course you might have had to have taken your blue and gold glasses off to see it.

Hand is part of the ball. He hit the ball first. No referee worth his salt would have called that a foul.

Reactions: FireballZ and gary2
Screen-Shot-2023-02-02-at-10.46.00-AM.jpg

Diaz looks like he's dancing.

Reactions: docpanther26
Hand is part of the ball. He hit the ball first. No referee worth his salt would have called that a foul.
I've heard that statement before. But I don't believe it whatsoever.
I've never actually seen it officiated like that.

That is absolutely NOT the rule.

If you have never seen a guy get a piece of the ball and then hit the shooter afterwards and get called for a foul you have simply not watched much basketball. And when I say not much, I mean like not more than about 10 or 20 minutes.

Reactions: Drew1208
That is absolutely NOT the rule.

If you have never seen a guy get a piece of the ball and then hit the shooter afterwards and get called for a foul you have simply not watched much basketball. And when I say not much, I mean like not more than about 10 or 20 minutes.
The hand is considered “part of the ball” when it is in contact with the ball. Therefore, contact on that part of the hand by a defender while it is in contact with the ball is not illegal.

Win at least 5 more regular season game just to be sure ... as the announcers said, this isn't the Pitt team of recent "old"

Plus at least 1 ACCT win for a total of 6 more wins. I'd feel better if it would be 7 more total wins, but I think Pitt's resume speaks for itself. It's better than many teams that are projected as 4, 5 and 6 seeds right now.

The announcer was discussing quads and said that Pitt lost to a quad 4 team and that could really come back to haunt them. Really crazy crap!

If anything, a Quad 4 loss should just "cancel out" a Quad 1 win. A quad 4 loss in and of itself shouldn't move you down like 4-5 seed lines. That's absurd. So they should look at our resume like we have 3 Q1 wins and no Q4 losses. I mean losing to FSU isnt a mortal sin. Look at Clemson. They lost a road game in a rivalry game in November and a neutral site game to Loyola Chicago and its killed their seeding.

The hand is considered “part of the ball” when it is in contact with the ball. Therefore, contact on that part of the hand by a defender while it is in contact with the ball is not illegal.
The bold part is the key. He Shot the ball, it was out of his hand, then blocked. Then Nike hit his hand. Would have been a foul if time didn’t run out.

The bold part is the key. He Shot the ball, it was out of his hand, then blocked. Then Nike hit his hand. Would have been a foul if time didn’t run out.

Yeah, exactly. He didn't hit his hand when the ball was in contact with it. It was a bang-bang play, but it is also one that gets called a foul all the time. You simply can't watch basketball for any real length of time without seeing plays exactly like that, a guy gets a piece of the ball but then also hits the hand and the guy gets called for a foul.

It obviously occurred after the clock got to zero so it doesn't matter one way or the other, which is why it really is an odd thing to have to convince yourself that you saw something that you obviously didn't see.

Yeah, exactly. He didn't hit his hand when the ball was in contact with it. It was a bang-bang play, but it is also one that gets called a foul all the time. You simply can't watch basketball for any real length of time without seeing plays exactly like that, a guy gets a piece of the ball but then also hits the hand and the guy gets called for a foul.

It obviously occurred after the clock got to zero so it doesn't matter one way or the other, which is why it really is an odd thing to have to convince yourself that you saw something that you obviously didn't see.
I don't understand why the refs did not go to the monitor to verify that the shot did not beat the clock. At least, it didn't seem like they did. It was very close, and they usually review those plays to make sure.

On another topic, why should it be a foul if the defender blocks the shot and then contacts the shooter's hand? The contact had no impact on the play, since the shot was already blocked.

I don't understand why the refs did not go to the monitor to verify that the shot did not beat the clock. At least, it didn't seem like they did. It was very close, and they usually review those plays to make sure.

On another topic, why should it be a foul if the defender blocks the shot and then contacts the shooter's hand? The contact had no impact on the play, since the shot was already blocked.

My assumption is that the refs didn't think it was a foul, because I agree that would typically be something they would go look at if they were going to call a foul but thought that time had run out.

As to the second paragraph, I don't know why. But that's the way it is. I mean how many times do see a guy foul a jump shooter after the ball has left his hand? It didn't affect the play, because the moment that the ball is off the guy's hand nothing that happens to him affects whether the shot goes in or not. But it's still a foul.

ADVERTISEMENT