ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt at UNC Gamethread

My assumption is that the refs didn't think it was a foul, because I agree that would typically be something they would go look at if they were going to call a foul but thought that time had run out.

As to the second paragraph, I don't know why. But that's the way it is. I mean how many times do see a guy foul a jump shooter after the ball has left his hand? It didn't affect the play, because the moment that the ball is off the guy's hand nothing that happens to him affects whether the shot goes in or not. But it's still a foul.
Obviously since a block occurred the hand hit had to happen well after the shot. .6 seconds is not a lot of time. When I flew in the USAF in .6 sec we traveled 600 feet.

My assumption is that the refs didn't think it was a foul, because I agree that would typically be something they would go look at if they were going to call a foul but thought that time had run out.

As to the second paragraph, I don't know why. But that's the way it is. I mean how many times do see a guy foul a jump shooter after the ball has left his hand? It didn't affect the play, because the moment that the ball is off the guy's hand nothing that happens to him affects whether the shot goes in or not. But it's still a foul.
Yes, that is the only reason they would not check, if they didn't think it was a foul. Certainly a break for Pitt, because if a foul had been called, it would have been 3 free throws. What was a good play by Sibande, to block the shot, would have turned into a very bad play, and probably have lead to a loss.

.6 seconds is not a lot of time.

Somewhere earlier in this thread, as it was happening, I said that if the refs didn't add more time to the clock when they went and reviewed it during that last timeout that it was a mistake by North Carolina, because 0.6 seconds is not enough time to do just about anything, assuming they start the clock at the moment that someone touches it.

ADVERTISEMENT