ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt coaches make the dough with little to show

You mean Pitt doesn’t work that way.

If a school wants a coach who can win often, they pay for a coach who has shown he can win often. You can take a chance on a Coordinator who promises you he will win a lot of games, but you pay a little less (which Pitt did) and you don’t keep giving him hugs raises if he is not delivering on what he promised (which Is where Pitt made the mistake IMO). Give him a little raise if you are okay with his average results- but don’t pay him like he is hitting it out of the park.

Heck add an incentive thaf pays an additional $1 million If the team wins 10 games and gets into the top 15. Offer to pay another million if he wins the ACC. Guaranteeing a coach huge bonuses during his tenure when he does not deliver on expectations isn’t setting a good precedent - It tells other potential hires that you reward underachievers just as you would anyone who actually achieves what is expected of them or exceeds set expectations.

Those huge incentives would be laughed at, potential coaches would want more guaranteed money. That's how most schools operate.

Oh well, you'll find something to bitch about regardless so there is no point arguing.

Reactions: Celtsfan
Those huge incentives would be laughed at, potential coaches would want more guaranteed money. That's how most schools operate.

Oh well, you'll find something to bitch about regardless so there is no point arguing.
What is laughable Is believing you have to keep guaranteeing a coach huge raises when that coach keeps delivers the same mediocre results. A university should certainly be able to retain a coach for less than almost triple his original salary, if he is delivering the same average results in year 7 as he delivered in year 1.

No point in me continuing this reasonable argument, since you are just going to shoot it down again and teach me the way life really works.

I have no desire to further make my point, just as it appears you have no intention of ever being open to the thoughts of others -no matter how reasonable - simply because those thoughts don’t fit your narrative.

Last edited:
Reactions: WannyandWalt
What is laughable Is believing you have tp keep guaranteeing a coach huge raises when that coach keeps delivers the same mediocre results. A school should certainly should be able to retain a coach for less than almost triple his original salary if he is delivering the same average results in year 7 as he delivered in year 1.

No point in me continuing this reasonable argument, since you are just going to shoot it down again and teach me the way life really works.

I have no desire to further make my point, just as it appears you have no intention of ever being open to the thoughts of others -no matter how reasonable - simply because those thoughts don’t fit your narrative.

I agree with this , it's fact

What is laughable Is believing you have to keep guaranteeing a coach huge raises when that coach keeps delivers the same mediocre results. A university should certainly be able to retain a coach for less than almost triple his original salary, if he is delivering the same average results in year 7 as he delivered in year 1.

the guy wasn’t hired to deliver 6-8 wins every year. Those who hired him didn’t expect him to turn this program into Clemson, but they hired him to do better than he’s done. 6 years at the helm is plenty of time to get things right if you know what you’re doing.

One said this for every hire since The Stache-Pitt is not a job for a first time head coach. It requires someone who knows how to build a program from the ground up.

Glad to see Pitt is paying. That makes agents take notice. Now, if Narduzzi is relieved from his duties in the near future I want to see Pitt offer its next coach $5-plus million to be the coach, not a $2 million prove it to some assistant.

Correct, not sure what the bitching and moaning is about. If he doesn't win more he'll be let go and the bar on salary is set.

the guy wasn’t hired to deliver 6-8 wins every year. Those who hired him didn’t expect him to turn this program into Clemson, but they hired him to do better than he’s done. 6 years at the helm is plenty of time to get things right if you know what you’re doing.

One said this for every hire since The Stache-Pitt is not a job for a first time head coach. It requires someone who knows how to build a program from the ground up.

How many wins should he be able to accomplish. I'm sure every Pitt coaxh is expected to win more. They never do. Why?

This program could bring in Nick Saban and the best assistants and they still won't be elite. Nick leading the team onto HF in front of a half empty stadium will see slightly improved recruiting results.
Saban would have us winning 10 games in the coastal in year 2. Maybe earlier.

Like who?
Campbell at Iowa st!
Matt Rhule at Temple and Baylor
The guy at Cincy
Leach at Miss st
PJ Fleck at Minny
UCF seems to find coaches that gets them to win 10-11 games every 3 years.

There is always one or two under the radar coaches who get hired and are able to turn a program around.

Reactions: cbpitt2
How many wins should he be able to accomplish. I'm sure every Pitt coaxh is expected to win more. They never do. Why?
I would hope a coach in his 7th year can at least have a top 25 finish. Unfortunately, that’s something Narduzzi hasn’t done.

Hopefully this is the year. I believe this is Narduzzi’s best team in 7 years. He has to win 9 games this year with our schedule. Barring major injuries.

Campbell at Iowa st!
The guy at Cincy
Leach at Miss st
PJ Fleck at Minny

There is always one or two under the radar coaches who get hired and are able to turn a program around.

Leach wouldn't come here. Cincy coach is better in Cincy and heading for a big job. Scott Frost from UCF not doing well in Nebraska. Doubt Fleck would leave Minn for Pitt. Rhule isn't leaving his NFL job for Pitt. And I also doubt Campbell would come to Pitt. He already earns $4 million and his next job will be a big one.

Saban would have us winning 10 games in the coastal in year 2. Maybe earlier.
Though it is highly unlikely that Saban is in the cards to ever come to Pitt, he would very likely win 10 games by his 2nd year (if not his first) because he is so good at preparation and game day coaching and he would attract higher level assistants who want to learn from him and have it on their resume that they coached under Saban and because Saban would be able to attract enough talent to have top 20 classes regularly and together that would be enough to win the coastal often and to win 10+ games often.

Last edited:
Campbell at Iowa st!
The guy at Cincy
Leach at Miss st
PJ Fleck at Minny

Agree. There are coaches out there who could win 10+ games at Pitt.

It would be so good to see PN’s team win 10 games this year, but if they don’t there are coaches out there who could get future Pitt teams winning 10+ games at least a few times a decade. That coach would of course need to be able to recruit at a high level on both sides of the field (like Wannstedt did) prepare well for the team they are playing against a little better and play to the team’s strengths (like Canada did on the offensive side), make smart decisions on game day and make sure their is always at least one QB and RB on the roster that coach knows he can count on to be very good (like when we had Peterson and Conner).

Last edited:
If you don’t hire a proven winner who can recruit well you aren’t like to see that person put together a winning team.

When was the last time Pitt went out and got a proven winner who could recruit well in our region? That would be the sweet spot. I admit, I very much liked the hire of PN because he was a guy from the region and he was coming from a winning program. Still, he was not a proven commodity as a HC. It has been a lot of learning on the job for him and unfortunately at times too much stubbornness in recognizing issues that were right in front of him - which he did not address.

Coaches who want to become great recognize their mistakes and keep learning from them and they keep figuring out smarter ways to use the advantages they have over other teams. Coaches who really aspire to be great are honest about what is working and what isn’t - and they have a plan B and C ready to plug in to fix any problem right away- because they are ANTICIPATING problems to happen... and they know they need the be ready when those problems occur.

Great coaches aren’t overconfident. They don’t say “I think we’ll be fine.” They’re always constantly tweaking plays executions of those plays and saying “We’ve got to get better” ... and they say that before the season starts - not after several early losses in the season... and then when they win a tough game against a legitimately good team they say- “There are things we can still do better” and then they go on to tell you the specific details that need to be addressed - even when the fans are thinking, “The team looked pretty darn good to me.”

Simply put. Pitt needs their coach to be a serious perfectionist. If PN can show he is able to be that guy this year, then great. If he can’t get it done with 10 wins, Pitt needs to go get a coach who is winning 9+ games every season - likely at a lower level (or possibly an offensive coordinator from a elite team). Someone who will feel sick if they win 8 or less games a season. The type of coach who can convince more high level recruits that he is as good a coach and as good a fit as any coach in the country and that together they will shock the world.

Agree. There are coaches out there who could win 10+ games at Pitt.

It would be so good to see PN’s team win 10 games this year, but if they don’t there are coaches out there who could get future Pitt teams winning 10+ games at least a few times a decade. That coach would of course need to be able to recruit at a high level on both sides of the field (like Wannstedt did) prepare well for the team they are playing against a little better and play to the team’s strengths (like Canada did on the offensive side), make smart decisions on game day and make sure their is always at least have one QB and RB on the roster you know you can count on to be very good (like when we had Peterson and Conner).

Yes, agree, the rest is all EXCUSES
If you don’t hire a proven winner who can recruit well you aren’t like to see that person put together a winning team.

When was the last time Pitt went out and got a proven winner who could recruit well in our region? That would be the sweet spot. I admit, I very much liked the hire of PN because he was a guy from the region and he was coming from a winning program. Still, he was not a proven commodity as a HC. It has been a lot of learning on the job for him and unfortunately at times too much stubbornness in recognizing issues that were right in front of him - which he did not address.

Coaches who want to become great recognize their mistakes and keep learning from them and they keep figuring out smarter ways to use the advantages they have over other teams. Coaches who really aspire to be great are honest about what is working and what isn’t - and they have a plan B and C ready to plug in to fix any problem right away- because they are ANTICIPATING problems to happen... and they know they need the be ready when those problems occur.

Great coaches aren’t overconfident. They don’t say “I think we’ll be fine.” They’re always constantly tweaking plays executions of those plays and saying “We’ve got to get better” ... and they say that before the season starts - not after several early losses in the season... and then when they win a tough game against a legitimately good team they say- “There are things we can still do better” and then they go on to tell you the specific details that need to be addressed - even when the fans are thinking, “The team looked pretty darn good to me.”

Simply put. Pitt needs their coach to be a serious perfectionist. If PN can show he is able to be that guy this year, then great. If he can’t get it done with 10 wins, Pitt needs to go get a coach who is winning 9+ games every season - likely at a lower level (or possibly an offensive coordinator from a elite team). Someone who will feel sick if they win 8 or less games a season. The type of coach who can convince more high level recruits that he is as good a coach and as good a fit as any coach in the country and that together they will shock the world.

I support this 100%, that would be a welcome change

Imagine that. Hire a coach that will win and recruit well! The secrets out. Now only if they grew on trees.

You mean Pitt doesn’t work that way.

If a school wants a coach who can win often, they pay for a coach who has shown he can win often. You can take a chance on a Coordinator who promises you he will win a lot of games, but you pay a little less (which Pitt did) and you don’t keep giving him hugs raises if he is not delivering on what he promised (which Is where Pitt made the mistake IMO). Give him a little raise if you are okay with his average results- but don’t pay him like you would if we’re delivering on his promises of more wins.

Heck add an incentive thaf pays an additional $1 million If the team wins 10 games and gets into the top 15. Offer to pay another million if he wins the ACC. Guaranteeing a coach huge bonuses during his tenure when he does not deliver on expectations isn’t setting a good precedent - It tells other potential hires that you reward underachievers just as you would anyone who actually achieves what is expected of them or exceeds set expectations.

Exactly. No wonder the Katz School of Business is rated so low.

Unlikely. And he is the best. Anyone else would struggle greatly to reach 10 wins.
You don’t think Saban is good for 2 more wins than Narduzzi in the average season? Geez I guess anyone can do what he does then.

Sabam is smart, serious, single minded, organized and demanding. That’s why he’s done what he has done. That’s why his teams play like they play. Name just one of those attributes that Narduzzi can claim as a coach.

Leach wouldn't come here. Cincy coach is better in Cincy and heading for a big job. Scott Frost from UCF not doing well in Nebraska. Doubt Fleck would leave Minn for Pitt. Rhule isn't leaving his NFL job for Pitt. And I also doubt Campbell would come to Pitt. He already earns $4 million and his next job will be a big one.
Campbell has turned down at least one NFL job already. The idea that he’d come to Pitt is laughable.

Reactions: pittmeister
You don’t think Saban is good for 2 more wins than Narduzzi in the average season? Geez I guess anyone can do what he does then.

Sabam is smart, serious, single minded, organized and demanding. That’s why he’s done what he has done. That’s why his teams play like they play. Name just one of those attributes that Narduzzi can claim as a coach’s
2 more wins would be 9 per season, so yes I think Nick Saban could average that at Pitt.

However, that's the best case scenario and Pitt isn't getting someone as good.

Perspective is important.

I agree with everything you say, but a proven winner is not necessary to success. Recruiting is more important.

Johnny Majors and Jackie Sherrill were not proven winners when they were hired by Pitt. Majors was 24-30-1 with only 1 winning season in his 5 years at Iowa State. Sherrill was 3-8 in his only season at Washington State.
But boy could they recruit! Especially Sherrill. He could recognize players who had talent and were under recruited. Maas, Doleman, Green were all players with only a couple of scholarships each.

Question:

Has recruiting gotten better the last couple of years, or worse?

I say yes. Recruiting has improved in spite of mediocre results over the last couple of years. Pitt has widen their recruiting base and have hired better recruiters.

Pitt has also had a few of their players out play their rankings: Pinnock, Jones, Weaver, Dennis, Alexandre, Bright, Baldonado.

Let's see how the current class improves... Players make the difference

I agree with everything you say, but a proven winner is not necessary to success. Recruiting is more important.

Johnny Majors and Jackie Sherrill were not proven winners when they were hired by Pitt. Majors was 24-30-1 with only 1 winning season in his 5 years at Iowa State. Sherrill was 3-8 in his only season at Washington State.
But boy could they recruit! Especially Sherrill. He could recognize players who had talent and were under recruited. Maas, Doleman, Green were all players with only a couple of scholarships each.

Question:

Has recruiting gotten better the last couple of years, or worse?

I say yes. Recruiting has improved in spite of mediocre results over the last couple of years. Pitt has widen their recruiting base and have hired better recruiters.

Pitt has also had a few of their players out play their rankings: Pinnock, Jones, Weaver, Dennis, Alexandre, Bright, Baldonado.

Let's see how the current class improves... Players make the difference
No question better recruiting is key. Very possibly the most important thing. That is why all the elite coaches usually end up at a handful of schools that they know will help make it easier to sell the kids on committing to their team.

Yet, there are many examples of coaches who recruited at a high level only to be fired because they didn’t win enough - Dispote the talent, they weren’t good enough with Xs and Os not did they surround themselves with enough coaches who were. We’ve seen it at just about every university with a very good football program.

As for Pitt, Wannstedt was a pretty good recruiter. While those more talented recruits eventually helped boost the team’s number of wins, there were still a few losses each season as a result of poor game coaching.

So yes, recruiting better talent certainly makes it easier to win, but hiring someone who can out coach the opponents on game day (draw up better plays, make sure the right players are on the field prepared to execute with precision) is also going to get you more wins.

For $4.7 million, PN now ought to show he’s improving in recruiting, hiring, coaching AND delivering more wins.

Last edited:
Depends on what you mean by elite. Saban wouldn't win a national title at Pitt, but his name would be able to bring in top 25 classes every year, and Pitt probably wins the Coastal 80% of the time.
Of course he’s never come here, BUT, if he did it would be with the knowledge that Pitt had decided to “play the game” and have middle men to keep people happy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT