ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt could have a lot coming back next season

gary2

Athletic Director
Jul 21, 2001
If the problems were predominately Jurkovec and Cignetti, we could have a rebound season.

People talk about a lack of star power, but is that because of scheme and personnel decisions?

We do need to do much better in the portal. A portal specific staff addition might be wise.

Last edited:
If the problems were predominately Jurkovec and Cignetti, we could have a rebound season.

People talk about a lack of star power, but is that because of scheme and personnel decisions?

We do need to do much better in the portal. A portal specific staff addition might be wise.
The Portal and NIL now make ALL CFB rosters much more of a year-to-year thing. Add in the fact that any player can decide to leave early for the NFL 3 years after his HS grad class year and things become even more tenuous. Rosters can be transformed very quickly now: for better or for worse.

People may want to listen to Doug Whaley about his new role with Alliance 412 on Pat Bostick’s show on “the Fan” yesterday. It should be archived on their website.

The Portal and NIL now make ALL CFB rosters much more of a year-to-year thing. Add in the fact that any player can decide to leave early for the NFL 3 years after his HS grad class year and things become even more tenuous. Rosters can be transformed very quickly now: for better or for worse.

People may want to listen to Doug Whaley about his new role with Alliance 412 on Pat Bostick’s show on “the Fan” yesterday. It should be archived on their website.
Do boosters "advocate" for portal candidates?

Why? If they finish strong, Veilleux progresses and the offense is plays well and finishing drives, why would they make a change? That would be insane.
We have seen enough of Cignetti to realize the game has passed him by?

Do you really think we have a lot coming back? Maybe enough to translate to a typical or average PN season of 7-5, but do we have any difference makers that could lead us to an above average season. I think we’d need to a few real good hits in the portal for that.

Do you really think we have a lot coming back? Maybe enough to translate to a typical or average PN season of 7-5, but do we have any difference makers that could lead us to an above average season. I think we’d need to a few real good hits in the portal for that.
With the schedule they should have at least 8 wins with a decent shot of 10 plus a bowl. Assuming the schedule doesn’t change. A competent QB goes a long way. GB likely sticks around. Mumpfield and Hammond have a season left. Plug and play, but finishing with momentum is an easier sell than going 1-11

This still isn't a good team. Last night was a lot like the UCLA game. Louisville had three turnovers in our territory. They should have ran the ball all night.

We will need portal help at CB, OL, DL, and possibly TE. I wouldn't get my hopes up for next season at all.

Moore
Jacoby
Goncalves
Taylor
Baer
Bartholemew
Means
Vielleux (bring. In a transfer or 2)
Hammond (like to see what Davis can do)
Mumpfield
K.Jackson

Hayes
Jules
Fitzsimmons
Okunlola
Deshields
George (Transfer here)
Kamara
Devonshire
Battle
Mcintyre
McMillon

Sauls
Junko ( Transfer here)

And..I like some of our current freshmen and incoming recruits

Last edited:
Reactions: bschulter
Let’s see how this season progresses and then we’ll have a better idea. There are some positions that are traditionally strong that had a drop in talent this year. DL being one.

Reactions: 4382 and gary2
Let’s see how this season progresses and then we’ll have a better idea. There are some positions that are traditionally strong that had a drop in talent this year. DL being one.
It looks that way with the DL, but are we playing our best choices?

It looks that way with the DL, but are we playing our best choices?
The 6 year thing hurt in-game development for the 2/3 deep. We saw Williams Moore and Enos getting action - together - along with the 2 tackles. We’ve heard good things in camp and it should be interesting going forward. Portal can give the OL one 22/23 year old but that should be it given current roster age and experience. The DL supposedly has good new blood coming. RB? Game changer needed!

Reactions: Skinny3423
The 6 year thing hurt in-game development for the 2/3 deep. We saw Williams Moore and Enos getting action - together - along with the 2 tackles. We’ve heard good things in camp and it should be interesting going forward. Portal can give the OL one 22/23 year old but that should be it given current roster age and experience. The DL supposedly has good new blood coming. RB? Game changer needed!
I liked what I saw of Harvison in the spring, yet he got jumped by Lloyd?

Recruit Willis is intriguing.

Last edited:
Not sure of this. The talent still looks dubious.

We can’t get too giddy here after a surprise victory. It was a surprise for a reason.

It wasn't a repeatable victory, honestly. Louisville, who was an absolutely fraud at #14, mostly pissed the game away. There is an advanced stat that projects which team should have won the game based on how it played out, and I'm betting they would be pretty high on it (the exact opposite was true last season - we were the better team and pissed the game away with costly turnovers).

Our d-line is a mess, and it's tough to imagine it being better next season after we lose 3-4 guys in the two-deep (if the younger options were better they'd be playing... Okunlol looks the part, but that's about it).

And CB is probably our best unit, and Williams and Devonshire are gonezo, most likely.

I view this season as a bottoming out accompanied by a late-season commit to the rebuild and next season ad a continuing effort in that rebuild. Unless we're able to do something completely unexpected in the portal, I guess.

It wasn't a repeatable victory, honestly. Louisville, who was an absolutely fraud at #14, mostly pissed the game away. There is an advanced stat that projects which team should have won the game based on how it played out, and I'm betting they would be pretty high on it (the exact opposite was true last season - we were the better team and pissed the game away with costly turnovers).

Our d-line is a mess, and it's tough to imagine it being better next season after we lose 3-4 guys in the two-deep (if the younger options were better they'd be playing... Okunlol looks the part, but that's about it).

And CB is probably our best unit, and Williams and Devonshire are gonezo, most likely.

I view this season as a bottoming out accompanied by a late-season commit to the rebuild and next season ad a continuing effort in that rebuild. Unless we're able to do something completely unexpected in the portal, I guess.
Your record is your record. No one keeps track of repeatable victories.

How many games over the years has Pitt lost that fit that category? How many Steeler victories?

There are no do overs.

Your record is your record. No one keeps track of repeatable victories.

How many games over the years has Pitt lost that fit that category? How many Steeler victories?

There are no do overs.

Well it's a pretty good indication of whether or not you're a good team or just caught some lucky breaks. I'm still not convinced we can stop the run at all.

I mean, it goes the other way also. I think we are a 6-6ish team that will probably finish a game or two under that.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD_6082

Can you briefly summarise what Whaley said?
Is the plan that he will be the talent evaluation guy to prioritise and price out transfer and recruiting talent for the NIL fund?

M
Maybe he likes being at Pitt? A functional QB helps retain him.

Noah Hiles does a podcast with he (G.B.) and Kradel. When Hiles was on Peak's podcast, he made a remark that it seems like Bartholomew has a lot of things he wants to say but doesn't as it relates to this season.

He might love it here and never want to leave. But the concern has crossed my mind.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Noah Hiles does a podcast with he and Kradel. When Hiles was on Peak's podcast, he made a remark that it seems like Bartholomew has a lot of things he wants to say but doesn't as it relates to this season.

He might love it here and never want to leave. But the concern has crossed my mind.
I would hope that he is disappointed. All players should be. He must value his relationship with the coaching staff or he would spill the beans. He seems like a mature young man who loves Pitt.
The development of CV will help #86. A big and athletic target for a smart and mobile QB. A nightmare for opposing safeties.

Reactions: USN_Panther
Moore
Jacoby
Goncalves
Taylor
Baer
Bartholemew
Means
Vielleux (bring. In a transfer or 2)
Hammond (like to see what Davis can do)
Mumpfield
K.Jackson

Hayes
Jules
Fitzsimmons
Okunlola
Deshields
George (Transfer here)
Kamara
Devonshire
Battle
Mcintyre
McMillon

Sauls
Junko ( Transfer here)

And..I like some of our current freshmen and incoming recruits
I think you’re proving my point, there aren’t many difference makers in that list.

Reactions: _Mike_Kudis_Sauce
Why are we at Miami???

We just clobbered them in Miami

Because they completely revamped the schedule.

But don't worry, because they are in the process of doing it all over again, so there is no guarantee that any opponent or location from what had previously been decided is going to carry over.

With the schedule they should. Cincy and WVU are winnable games. Other hardest are at UNC and at Miami. But no Clemson, fsu, or ND. The question is if cigs is back. If they finish strong he may be back.

Even if we finish 5-7, I dont see how he's back. The season was a failure due to his insistence to bring in and play Phil.

Reactions: 303vND
This still isn't a good team. Last night was a lot like the UCLA game. Louisville had three turnovers in our territory. They should have ran the ball all night.

We will need portal help at CB, OL, DL, and possibly TE. I wouldn't get my hopes up for next season at all.
Agree on this. There is precious real talent on this team. Winning one game doesn't change that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT