ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt could have a lot coming back next season

This still isn't a good team. Last night was a lot like the UCLA game. Louisville had three turnovers in our territory. They should have ran the ball all night.

We will need portal help at CB, OL, DL, and possibly TE. I wouldn't get my hopes up for next season at all.

Agreed. I still say this is a Majors 2 talent level. I am not sure there are 5 players I'd "protect" from the transfer portal if I could. Everyone is expendable. Not talented enough

• Haha
Reactions: TD_6082
I think you’re proving my point, there aren’t many difference makers in that list.
We just beat an undefeated Louisville team. That team beat ND.

We did it minus 4 OL and playing a new QB In his first Pitt start

Our team that beat them is basically coming back or improved.

We are experienced. Experienced players that played on winning teams.

Need to fire the OC. Find a QB. Do much better in the portal.

We have an experienced core and Freshmen and recruits who will step in.

This year would have met our standard, if not Cignetti and Jurkovec.

Last edited:
Reactions: 303vND
Even if we finish 5-7, I dont see how he's back. The season was a failure due to his insistence to bring in and play Phil.
Depends on who is actually “in charge”. If it’s Narduzzi, I don’t see it, especially if the team rallies to that number of wins. That’s his guy, and bottom line “he doesn’t throw it all over the field all day” as Duz infamously said about Whipple.

If it is Lyke, and if she has a focus on the football program (and not on more currently favored non-rev sports, i.e., just leaving everything with football to Narduzzi and basketball to Capel) … she might push him to do it.

That kind of ‘interference’ From the AD has caused consternation with other HC in the past (Wanny etc). But if she is getting signals from meaningful donors that Cig is a poison, and big bucks could be lost … then… we’ll see.

IMO I think she is hands off with football and hoops, and distracted by the glamour sports like vball and soccer, and she’ll let Duz dig his own grave. And other than a complete flop after this win, ie plummeting to 2-10 or 3-9, I think Cig stays

Depends on who is actually “in charge”. If it’s Narduzzi, I don’t see it, especially if the team rallies to that number of wins. That’s his guy, and bottom line “he doesn’t throw it all over the field all day” as Duz infamously said about Whipple.

If it is Lyke, and if she has a focus on the football program (and not on more currently favored non-rev sports, i.e., just leaving everything with football to Narduzzi and basketball to Capel) … she might push him to do it.

That kind of ‘interference’ From the AD has caused consternation with other HC in the past (Wanny etc). But if she is getting signals from meaningful donors that Cig is a poison, and big bucks could be lost … then… we’ll see.

IMO I think she is hands off with football and hoops, and distracted by the glamour sports like vball and soccer, and she’ll let Duz dig his own grave. And other than a complete flop after this win, ie plummeting to 2-10 or 3-9, I think Cig stays

The recruitment and insistence on playing Jurkovec was a fatal mistake. I dont see how you bounce back from that

The recruitment and insistence on playing Jurkovec was a fatal mistake. I dont see how you bounce back from that
Uhh... You just move on. If there were clearly a better realistic option, they would have taken it.

If they can pull off some kind of youth movement & Veilleux keeps improving and solidifies his role as the QB of the future, it would be dumb as hell to make change.

Uhh... You just move on. If there were clearly a better realistic option, they would have taken it.

If they can pull off some kind of youth movement & Veilleux keeps improving and solidifies his role as the QB of the future, it would be dumb as hell to make change.

It's incredibly hard to believe there wasn't a better option than what we saw from PJ. Hell, I'm convinced Yarney would have been better.

Reactions: boseman7 and gary2
It's incredibly hard to believe there wasn't a better option than what we saw from PJ. Hell, I'm convinced Yarney would have been better.
Maybe. However, we saw PJ & CV both play against Wofford and UNC. PJ clearly outperformed CV in both games. I don't think that's even debatable.

The bottom line is you can't let your QB room be that green and that desperate. I put much more of the blame on Narduzzi for that than Cigs.

If the problems were predominately Jurkovec and Cignetti, we could have a rebound season.

People talk about a lack of star power, but is that because of scheme and personnel decisions?

We do need to do much better in the portal. A portal specific staff addition might be wise.

Well, we will have a new OC

Reactions: gary2
If the problems were predominately Jurkovec and Cignetti, we could have a rebound season.

People talk about a lack of star power, but is that because of scheme and personnel decisions?

We do need to do much better in the portal. A portal specific staff addition might be wise.
I don't think that Pat Narduzzi has any idea right now about who is returning to play for Pitt next year. With the NIL nonsense and the transfer portal, who knows what players are returning to the Pitt program and what other players from around the country would be interested in coming here. No coach in the country can feel safe right now. Honestly, if Pitt found a "donor" who could pony up $10 million dollars for next season, Pitt could have either Caleb Williams or Arch Manning as the teams starting QB for 2024!!!

I don't think that Pat Narduzzi has any idea right now about who is returning to play for Pitt next year. With the NIL nonsense and the transfer portal, who knows what players are returning to the Pitt program and what other players from around the country would be interested in coming here. No coach in the country can feel safe right now. Honestly, if Pitt found a "donor" who could pony up $10 million dollars for next season, Pitt could have either Caleb Williams or Arch Manning as the teams starting QB for 2024!!!
Caleb Williams is a Top 5 pick in the draft next year. He isn’t playing for any college.

Maybe. However, we saw PJ & CV both play against Wofford and UNC. PJ clearly outperformed CV in both games. I don't think that's even debatable.

The bottom line is you can't let your QB room be that green and that desperate. I put much more of the blame on Narduzzi for that than Cigs.
I wander about stuff like this. Because I think that when they practice the coaches, don’t create an atmosphere to see which quarterback or position player has the potential to be better. I think they just put in guys who they believe are going to do their assignment. And that’s a very understandable way of coaching, but it also is a very lazy way of coaching because you lose a lot of opportunities to develop guys who could turn into something more because you won’t give them the reps and the opportunities to beat out guys at their position. Is the reason why you see a guy like Joe Burrow losing quarterback battles to guys like JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins. So I would love for Narduzzi to get an officer coordinator. Who could turn into something more because you won’t give them the reps and the opportunities to beat out guys at their position. Is the reason why you see a guy like Joe Burrow losing quarterback battles to guys like JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins. So I would love for Narduzzi to get an offensive coordinator. that is Steve Spurrier like In regards to the fact that he will allow a young guy to prove himself

I wander about stuff like this. Because I think that when they practice the coaches, don’t create an atmosphere to see which quarterback or position player has the potential to be better. I think they just put in guys who they believe are going to do their assignment. And that’s a very understandable way of coaching, but it also is a very lazy way of coaching because you lose a lot of opportunities to develop guys who could turn into something more because you won’t give them the reps and the opportunities to beat out guys at their position. Is the reason why you see a guy like Joe Burrow losing quarterback battles to guys like JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins. So I would love for Narduzzi to get an officer coordinator. Who could turn into something more because you won’t give them the reps and the opportunities to beat out guys at their position. Is the reason why you see a guy like Joe Burrow losing quarterback battles to guys like JT Barrett and Dwayne Haskins. So I would love for Narduzzi to get an offensive coordinator. that is Steve Spurrier like In regards to the fact that he will allow a young guy to prove himself
Coaches are almost always going to play whoever they feel will give them the best chance to win.

Same thing back when fans were bitching about Vincent Davis getting more playing time than a clearly more talented Izzy. VD could past block & Izzy sometimes looked lost.

Spurrier wasn't afraid to pull the trigger and make a switch when his QBs were struggling. But he never put a guy out there before he thought he was ready. Most, if not all his QBs redshirted at Florida. He played Connor Shaw out of desperation as a true freshman at SC, because Stephen Garcia was an absolute head case, - on and off the field.

Last edited:
Reactions: boseman7

But who decides who bounces back? I laid out the alternatives: either Duz or Lyke; Lyke will stay out of it unless the team sinks to the 2 or 3 win level and she gets donor pressure to force a change on Duz. Duz won’t do it on his own. If we win 4 or more I think he returns

That is why I used the word "could".

And in today's football PITT could have their best players poached through the portal unless there is improvement THIS year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT