ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Heads To Oklahoma State Searching A Passing Game, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
The way I see it, Pitt must develop its Passing Game against OKSU just to prepare for UNC, GT, and Miami, and that means OC Canada does with a number of ways with Running Backs and not just the Wideouts. I expect to see Whitehead, Henderson, Moss and Matthews with some big surprises with Orndoff! It was one thing to see How Pitt changed the attitude of the Defense last year into a No Quit Team and that continues to build. Yet, now i can see Canada doing same thing with Peterman. OKSU is talented well coached team, but so it Pitt now.
Excerpt
“It’s just a matter of what we wanted to do and how we wanted to do it,” Narduzzi said about Pitt’s lack of deep throws. “(Offensive coordinator Matt) Canada has a great plan. He's got a great feel for what he wants to do each game. ... We just looked at personnel match-ups and identified where we can confuse a team.” Peterman doesn’t seem worried this early in the season.“There’s just so much more potential that we have and that we can do,” he said after the win over Penn State.

This week, however, Peterman acknowledged that the passing game is a work in progress. “The passing game is definitely harder than the running game because you've got to be very detail oriented,” Peterman said. “That's what brings you success in the passing game – guys have to be in a certain place at the right time and at the right depth and all those things.

LINK:

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/c...cle_3eb7438e-7b98-11e6-9580-1fa137f2378a.html

Reactions: #99HUGHgreen
Saw the article and initial response was that the running game was effective. I expect the same game to game. Our passing game may only surface if we're behind. Why fix when broken.

Saw the article and initial response was that the running game was effective. I expect the same game to game. Our passing game may only surface if we're behind. Why fix when broken.

Because it's not 1974, you can't expect to be much of a team if you can't pass, there's no guarantee that there won't be a team that can stuff your running game, even in 1974 those wishbone teams, like Oklahoma or Texas who ran 85% of the time and beat everyone in the regular season 60-0, would end up losing bowl games when a better opponent stuffed their run game and they had no idea how to pass the ball.

Eventually, it would be nice to recruit a high rated QB prospect, that can pass lights out and get more balance, at least 50/50 and be able to pass because you want to and are good at it, and not just because you need to because your losing. Passing only when you're behind, IMO is an unbalanced team that will get in trouble, and lose games. You have to get good at both if you want to go far, like a conference title, a NYD bowl or the playoff.

Reactions: PittPoker
Eventually, it would be nice to recruit a high rated QB prospect, that can pass lights out and get more balance, at least 50/50 and be able to pass because you want to and are good at it, and not just because you need to because your losing. Passing only when you're behind, IMO is an unbalanced team that will get in trouble, and lose games. You have to get good at both if you want to go far, like a conference title, a NYD bowl or the playoff.
Best of all- have a great running game, and a great passing and running quarterback.

I think MacVittie is that guy

Yeah Navy sure had problems last year not throwing

If Pitt had the kind of quick and elusive starting QB this year that Navy had (in Keenan Reynolds) last year, then it might make sense to live and die with the running game. Peterman is not nearly the running threat Keenan was. He needs to be able to prove he can consistently throw the ball accurately downfield.

“That's what brings you success in the passing game – guys have to be in a certain place at the right time and at the right depth and all those things."

Uh, no kidding son–that's why you have practice. I'm sorry but this quote from Peterman sounds more like an excuse you'd hear from a high school QB starting his first game. Not something you'd hear from 5th year senior playing for a Power Five conference.

I like Peterman... but no more excuses please... Time for him to take complete ownership and control of the passing game. He needs to just keep throwing ball after ball in practice until he's consistently hitting each receiver running their routes correctly. If he can't do it, next man up.

Orndoff so big and so gifted. To not throw to him 10 times a game is like shooting yourself in the foot.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Uh, no kidding son–that's why you have practice. I'm sorry but this quote from Peterman sounds more like an excuse you'd hear from a high school QB starting his first game. Not something you'd hear from 5th year senior playing for a Power Five conference.

I like Peterman... but no more excuses please... Time for him to take complete ownership and control of the passing game. He needs to just keep throwing ball after ball in practice until he's consistently hitting each receiver running their routes correctly. If he can't do it, next man up.

Orndoff so big and so gifted. To not throw to him 10 times a game is like shooting yourself in the foot.

He said it during one of the interviews posted on Pitt Livewire. It wasnt an excuse. He actually said something like "Im excited to pass a little more because we work hard on it in practice to make sure guys are in the right places... thats what brings you success .. yada yada."

Article takes it out of context poorly.

Because it's not 1974, you can't expect to be much of a team if you can't pass, there's no guarantee that there won't be a team that can stuff your running game, even in 1974 those wishbone teams, like Oklahoma or Texas who ran 85% of the time and beat everyone in the regular season 60-0, would end up losing bowl games when a better opponent stuffed their run game and they had no idea how to pass the ball.
Pitt threw for 3 TD's last week.

Pitt fans especially think hematite when their is a positive,3 passing TD last week is not bad especially when u have 400 rushing yards to boot to,Pitt passes when they need to but their a running team and NP isn't that bad at running he doesn't run all the time but he gets what he needs and he isn't afraid to take a hit

Let's run the option then. I'll never understand why Pittsburgh people don't like throwing the football?

Well im not a pttsburgh person, but I like to do whatever is best to win games. I could care less if we throw 50 passes or run 70 times or anything else in between

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT