ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Hoops "Open Practice" & Other Dribbles ...

Looked older and physically mature but I didn't get the sense he can contribute much offensively. Hard to say that in a scrimmage but I just dont think the kid is skilled enough at basketball. That said, he plays hard and is a good athlete and plays defense so he can carve out a role. I guess I compare him to Dante Taylor in that he was extremely overrated BUT can still be a valuable reserve.
Unfortunately, this years team is gonna need him to be able to at least make a shot from time to time. Taylor was overrated but if he was rated correctly (somewhere in 100’s) had a decent career. Don’t think same will be said of Jeffress’ unfortunately.

Reactions: cabe23
It’s all perspective. There’s no doubt Leggett will be a step down from Burton. Burton was an All League player. But I left this event feeling like Leggett can be a legit starter, although this offered such a little look at everyone.

I also think our freshman guards have talent for sure — but it’s too early to try to protect how high they can go, especially during their first season.

I think Leggett was fine. I was just hoping that he'd be even better than his A10 numbers showed. Like Burton's numbers werent good before he came here and he improved. Leggett's numbers were good in a high major league and I was hoping he'd make that "great leap forward" from that and be like an A10 POY candidate had he stayed so that would be like all-league in the ACC. I still think he's a starter but not as good as Carrington (different positions though).

** The last time I “dribbled” back in March following the Xavier loss, I ended my thoughts with the words “Pitt is Back!”

** At the time, this particular proclamation was on the money after an exciting entry and run in the NCAA Tournament.

** But tonight. I begin with a different refrain, asking “Are We Back?”

** At the very least, we can say with the “Open Practice” event at the Pete that at the very least, this basketball fan can say “basketball is back!” It’s been too many years since I’ve been truly excited for a year to start once again. And accordingly, I'd call today a great day!

** Beyond the anticipation of the start of a season, today was a great day as it was situated perfectly at Happy Hour, and a Bell’s Two Hearted Ale from the Pete concessions was the perfect elixir for a late Friday afternoon.

** And joining me for the occasion was my 18 year old kid here for his first weekend at home from his freshman year at William & Mary.

** We sat in same Club seats in which we’ve squatted in the for the past few years. And even sitting there brought back more than a few glorious memories of last season, one on my very favorite campaigns in the last 40 or so.

** But there was something more that brought back memories from last year than Club seats. That thing was Blake Hinson.

** A little over two decades ago, Football Head Coach Walt Harris gave the perfect assessment when asked preseason about the progress of his sophomore All-American wideout. He said: “Larry is Larry.”

** More than once, today I thought “Blake is Blake.”

** Throughout the practice and scrimmage, we saw Blake sink shots from all over the court which we learned to expect from him last year. Nothing I saw drew any fear of a step back from our stud, other than one ill-advised forced drive into the lane resulting in a fragile turnover. My kid thought he was fouled without the call, but no matter. On the subsequent trip, Blake drilled a 23 footer, and all previous ills were forgotten.

** A little while later, Blake was camped out open around 28 feet, and it was almost as if my kid and I wanted him to take this shot. But he passed this time. Save it for another time, I presume.

** My only wonder is that while Blake will clearly be our best player, will he truly be this team’s leader? I can’t say today gave any real indication who that leader might be, as we knew last year it was a certain Mr. Burton.

** Nonetheless, there were plenty of fine things to be seen from the rest of our Panthers.

** My kid was sure that both Twins did indeed look stronger than last year. I can’t say I was as convinced, but I will say they carried themselves with a much greater sense of confidence than 365 days ago. That said, they didn’t wow the joint with their play, so here’s hoping their confidence stays in line with their abilities.

** Will Jeffress was clearly 100%, and did a couple of his “little things,” including a behind the back move with the ball into the lane, resulting a nice pull up 12 footer. I like Will, but it’s remains to be seen if it’s the same Will from two years ago or more than that.

** Same can be said for Fede. He had one nice put-the-ball-on-the-floor moment in the practice, but nothing noticeable in the scrimmage.

** But as is usually the case, these events are about getting looks at the newcomers. And each offered some bright spots for sure.

** Almost about a dozen times, I found myself excited by Ishmael Leggett. He did plenty of nice things, from hitting jumpers at all levels, while also getting to the basket, and being a true presence on the floor. I’m not going to get ahead of myself here, but I was intrigued, if not even enthused.

** I’ll say some of the same about Michael Hueitt. We kept noticing him throughout the event, as someone who looks ready to join the fray maybe beyond a very bit role.

** Nonetheless, one would think most of our fortunes lay in the hands of our freshman duo of Bub Carrington and Jaland Lowe. For now, I’ll treat them as a pair. Both showed enough good things to convince me they are ready to play, but not nearly enough to convince me yet they are anywhere near the equal of Jamarius and Nelly. They didn’t impress with shooting, were adequate taking care of the ball, but did have nifty takes to the rim. More to come here.

** Throughout the earlier “practice” part of the event, Zach Austin really stood out to me. I was almost ready to call him as a true breakout possibility. Then during the “scrimmage,” section, he went nearly invisible, and I actually thought Will got the best of him. So more to come here also.

** Otherwise, Marlon Barnes did not yet make an impression. But for me, walk-ons KJ Marshall and Jaquan Nelson actually did. KJ actually showed himself as a leader throughout the practice, both with his attitude and even his play. And Jaquan has some serious hops.

** But all of the basketball aside, my favorite moment of the event came when Jeff Capel grabbed the microphone to speak to the crowd of 100-150 or so. Unlike last year, there was a true sense of appreciation of Capel and the program which wasn’t at all apparent in last year’s open practice. This year, there was a respectful applause when Capel spoke.

** Of course, last year’s event was a brunch gig, and no one was enjoying Two Hearted Ales like a few were today. But last year, there weren’t also highlights of the previous year NCAA tournament games on the Pete scoreboard like the ones that ran throughout the event today.

** Personally, I’m far from convinced that we are truly “back” and will take our place in the NCAA tournament again in March. But I feel a whole heck of a lot better about those chances than I did exactly one year ago.

** I think that vibe was shared by all of those who joined today. I don't know at all if "we are back", but that vibe, along with the company of my visiting college freshman, made it a great day for me.
If I recall your dribbles last year for open practice were pretty far off the mark for the season that resulted. Maybe you are the new Filipino of the board.

Reactions: Pittnerski
I think Leggett was fine. I was just hoping that he'd be even better than his A10 numbers showed. Like Burton's numbers werent good before he came here and he improved. Leggett's numbers were good in a high major league and I was hoping he'd make that "great leap forward" from that and be like an A10 POY candidate had he stayed so that would be like all-league in the ACC. I still think he's a starter but not as good as Carrington (different positions though).
Seriously, after a lousy scrimmage?

If I recall your dribbles last year for open practice were pretty far off the mark for the season that resulted. Maybe you are the new Filipino of the board.
To be fair … I don’t really think I was trying to make a mark last year, or this year for that matter. Last year we were all pretty downbeat though because of the Dior news the day prior.

Looked older and physically mature but I didn't get the sense he can contribute much offensively. Hard to say that in a scrimmage but I just dont think the kid is skilled enough at basketball. That said, he plays hard and is a good athlete and plays defense so he can carve out a role. I guess I compare him to Dante Taylor in that he was extremely overrated BUT can still be a valuable reserve.
Why does everyone expect Wil to be something he’s not . He can be a solid player who plays good D and rebounds and if he can knock down a few mid range jumpers plus put back a few around the bucket he’d be a major asset to this team . Expecting him to be an offensive juggernaut isn’t in his DNA .

Zach Austin is going to do a lot of what Elliot did on offense. We are going to utilize him as a stand still shooter a lot to make open 3's, while also using him as a strong finisher in the transition game and on the inside. He made 39 dunks a year ago and 59 three point baskets. He's basically the perfect player for Nate Oats, a player that shoots a lot of 3's and short shots with zero midrange game to speak of. He isn't going to be asked to create his own offense and beat guys off the dribble or shoot from the midrange, its just not his game.

Our 2 new transfers shot 37% and 36% from catch and shoot 3's last year. They can make 3's if we can get them open looks. We need the new freshmen point guards to get these guys clean looks. And we need Leggett to be a 3 level scorer, which I think he will be. Our team passing needs to be good for Pitt to be good.

Austin is going to have really good scoring games and quiet games, that's just who he is depending on if his shot if falling. He's a good shooter but an inconsistent shooter. He is going to be a better rebounder and a better defender than Elliot while being considerably taller. We just need him to make open shots especially from 3, which is exactly what he did on the trip to Spain.

We need Will to contribute on defense, rebounding, be a good passer, and hit open shots. Basically, we need Will to be an upgrade over Nate Santos in every facet of the game a year ago. Can Will do that? I think he can on defense and rebounding. But its up to him to start making shots to give us real depth.

Keeping this Pitt related,

Pomeroy's first set of 2024 efficiency rankings have been released. Pitt is 62nd in the country in those rankings with a preseason DR efficiency rating of 57th Nationally. That puts us right in line for NCAA Tournament expectations, which is the expectation.

Our first opponent is ranked 356th in the country from pomeroy and 361st by torvik. We need to beat this team by at least 30 points in the opening game if not 40. We can't let the NET punish us again for win / loss margin like last year. Freshmen point guards or not, we have to come out of the gate a lot faster this year in game 1 and be ready.

Honest to god, it’s a freaking descriptor of what someone looks like. I say all the time in my line of work, black, white, brown? I need to know what someone looks like. It’s not racist to notice their color of skin, in fact it’s more racist to say “you don’t see color”. This world blows

Also, Alier sucks and hasn’t gotten better since 8th grade.
He’s so bad

He’s so bad
Whoever convinced him in his circle he needed to be Kevin Durant, with his poor shooting form and limited handle, instead of just getting stronger, becoming a dominant post then moving out to what he does now, probably ruined his career.

Brad Stevens style of development at Butler. Everyone gets 1 hour of individual instruction. 50 mins is for the coaches, team, what you’re gonna be asked to do. Then 10 mins are what you want to become and work on yourself. Should’ve been applied to this kid when he was in Pittsburgh.

Whoever convinced him in his circle he needed to be Kevin Durant, with his poor shooting form and limited handle, instead of just getting stronger, becoming a dominant post then moving out to what he does now, probably ruined his career.

Brad Stevens style of development at Butler. Everyone gets 1 hour of individual instruction. 50 mins is for the coaches, team, what you’re gonna be asked to do. Then 10 mins are what you want to become and work on yourself. Should’ve been applied to this kid when he was in Pittsburgh.
I’ve never seen him play live. What’s the best player comparison for him?

I saw Zeke Marshall play at McKeesport and was shocked he was rated so highly and surprised he did well at Akron to be honest.

I’ve never seen him play live. What’s the best player comparison for him?

I saw Zeke Marshall play at McKeesport and was shocked he was rated so highly and surprised he did well at Akron to be honest.
Zeke at least wanted to play like a big man. He is a homeless dog’s Kevin Durant. That’s how he plays. Likes to float around the perimeter. He’s good when he goes inside. He should be elite at this level but no one told him he should develop any leg strength at all. It’s like no one in western PA has ever developed any good players and just says hey do what this NBA player does and let’s film it to show WE WORKIN!!! Western PA basketball has such a bad culture

Reactions: BigZeke and cabe23
Zach Austin is going to do a lot of what Elliot did on offense. We are going to utilize him as a stand still shooter a lot to make open 3's, while also using him as a strong finisher in the transition game and on the inside. He made 39 dunks a year ago and 59 three point baskets. He's basically the perfect player for Nate Oats, a player that shoots a lot of 3's and short shots with zero midrange game to speak of. He isn't going to be asked to create his own offense and beat guys off the dribble or shoot from the midrange, its just not his game.

Our 2 new transfers shot 37% and 36% from catch and shoot 3's last year. They can make 3's if we can get them open looks. We need the new freshmen point guards to get these guys clean looks. And we need Leggett to be a 3 level scorer, which I think he will be. Our team passing needs to be good for Pitt to be good.

Austin is going to have really good scoring games and quiet games, that's just who he is depending on if his shot if falling. He's a good shooter but an inconsistent shooter. He is going to be a better rebounder and a better defender than Elliot while being considerably taller. We just need him to make open shots especially from 3, which is exactly what he did on the trip to Spain.

We need Will to contribute on defense, rebounding, be a good passer, and hit open shots. Basically, we need Will to be an upgrade over Nate Santos in every facet of the game a year ago. Can Will do that? I think he can on defense and rebounding. But its up to him to start making shots to give us real depth.
Me and you are “upgrades over to Nate Santos” so there’s that. Not a very high bar. Nice kid. Wrong level of Hoops.

You guys who were there , DT, SMF, JPF. Major, et al. , thanks
for the reviews and comments. I especially wanted to hear
about the transfers and the new recruits. I got the impression
that we have some talent, but it's more a "wait and see"
situation at this point. That makes sense, so for me I'll wait
until I see em in REAL time.

SMF, I gotta give you credit for a sensible review...HOWEVER, you
really can't/shouldn't describe someone as "there was a tall kid who
looked to be African." Not trying to start a political correctness
conversation here....just sayin.

Maybe he was Italian with a dark tan. ;)

Zeke at least wanted to play like a big man. He is a homeless dog’s Kevin Durant. That’s how he plays. Likes to float around the perimeter. He’s good when he goes inside. He should be elite at this level but no one told him he should develop any leg strength at all. It’s like no one in western PA has ever developed any good players and just says hey do what this NBA player does and let’s film it to show WE WORKIN!!! Western PA basketball has such a bad culture

From the games I have watched he lacks a motor as well. That wasn't the case in 6th - 8th grade.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT