ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Mens Soccer

noelr

Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
looking forward to home opener against G Town on 8/22. how are supposed to look this year?

looking forward to home opener against G Town on 8/22. how are supposed to look this year?
Hard to know with all the new European players. Do we have another great group like three years ago who took us deep into the NCAAs two straight years or a mediocre group like the last two years recruiting classes where we were just an average team once the group from 3 years ago moved on.

Reactions: noelr
Hard to know with all the new European players. Do we have another great group like three years ago who took us deep into the NCAAs two straight years or a mediocre group like the last two years recruiting classes where we were just an average team once the group from 3 years ago moved on.

Yea, its really impossible to know. Last year's Euro haul was underwhelming but even in saying that, we still made the NCAAT. I do think the Grenning kid from Kentucky could be one of the best forwards in the NCAA. 2 years ago, he was.

Not related to this Pitt season, but in the last 2 weeks I watched a couple of Riverhounds games on CBSSN and Kizza from Pitt scored a couple goals and is a starter at striker I believe.

Yea, its really impossible to know. Last year's Euro haul was underwhelming but even in saying that, we still made the NCAAT. I do think the Grenning kid from Kentucky could be one of the best forwards in the NCAA. 2 years ago, he was.
Wait…we got him? I can’t keep up or I forgot. He was really dangerous and good.

anyone going tomorrow night for home opener? i'm driving up from DC area with my son.
Not me. I have a lot going on. I’d like to get together with some of you guys here and go to a game or hit a pub for EPL games. But the next few weeks won’t work for me.

I called the ticket office and each game requires a different set of tickets. So, if youre going to the women's game and staying for the men's tilt, you're going to have to exit and re-enter with the men's ticket. Completely stupid IMO, but only Pitt advertises the game as a doubleheader and literally charges you for both games.

I called the ticket office and each game requires a different set of tickets. So, if youre going to the women's game and staying for the men's tilt, you're going to have to exit and re-enter with the men's ticket. Completely stupid IMO, but only Pitt advertises the game as a doubleheader and literally charges you for both games.
Pitt never advertised these 2 soccer matches as a "doubleheader".

I made that comment in error in another posting.

Each soccer match was advertised separately, the women at 5:00 pm and the men at 8:00 pm.

I apologize for my mistake.

Reactions: mike412 and jctrack

They may have said that but I dont think that's true. Although each game requires a different ticket, I doubt anyone kicks you out.

Pitt never advertised these 2 soccer matches as a "doubleheader".

I made that comment in error in another posting.

Each soccer match was advertised separately, the women at 5:00 pm and the men at 8:00 pm.

I apologize for my mistake.
No they most certainly did advertise it as a Doubleheader on social media.

is the psu pitt game friday night televised or online?

is the psu pitt game friday night televised or online?
It’s on BTN+, so you have to pay for a month of a streaming-only subscription; I don’t think they do the trial or week-long subscriptions anymore.

The Big Ten is really, really bad for Olympic sports if they aren’t on the actual BTN channel, but you’re not missing much - the broadcast quality for BTN+ games is absolutely brutal. Like, worse than most high schools that stream their JV football games on YouTube. I made the mistake of buying a month of BTN+ a year or two ago to watch one of those midweek Pitt @ PSU baseball games and it was totally brutal.

Reactions: noelr and Fk_Pitt
It’s on BTN+, so you have to pay for a month of a streaming-only subscription; I don’t think they do the trial or week-long subscriptions anymore.

The Big Ten is really, really bad for Olympic sports if they aren’t on the actual BTN channel, but you’re not missing much - the broadcast quality for BTN+ games is absolutely brutal. Like, worse than most high schools that stream their JV football games on YouTube. I made the mistake of buying a month of BTN+ a year or two ago to watch one of those midweek Pitt @ PSU baseball games and it was totally brutal.

That's weird that BTN customers dont get BTN+ for free. Its almost as if the Big Ten doesn't care about Olympic sports? Couldn't be, right?

will have to follow online. i gotta admit. more into pitt psu soccer than pitt kent state football

I know, right?

I switched to the football game on ABC.

Let us know if the soccer game finally come on.

Came on shortly after I posted. Penn scored a freaky goal. The Penn player came in with a hard slide tackle from behind, looked like it would be a sure yellow, maybe a red, everyone stopped but the ref didnt make a call so it went right to a Penn player for a shot and goal. I think a red would have been a little harsh there but wouldn't have necessarily been a bad call. It was at least a yellow for sure. Crazy it wasnt even a foul.

Reactions: HOF Coach
Terrible loss. This was Penn's first game. They got that freak goal in the 1st Half and played a 5-5 in the 2nd Half. 10 guys behind the ball. Pitt must have had 90% possession but didnt really threaten with that many good chances and that's the problem with this Pitt team. Good, technical players but not enough scoring power. This is probably more of a Top 20 type of team without that.

Pitt's schedule is 25% complete. There is certainly room for improvement but 68 isnt good even this early.

The problem with the RPI in really small sample sizes has nothing at all to do with the length of the season. It would have the same problem after four games (and a high percentage of the teams haven't even played four games yet) in a 16 game regular season or a 116 game regular season.

If you think that the RPI is telling you anything meaningful at this point then you simply don't understand the RPI. Which is no surprise. You don't really seem to understand much of anything when math is involved.

The problem with the RPI in really small sample sizes has nothing at all to do with the length of the season. It would have the same problem after four games (and a high percentage of the teams haven't even played four games yet) in a 16 game regular season or a 116 game regular season.

If you think that the RPI is telling you anything meaningful at this point then you simply don't understand the RPI. Which is no surprise. You don't really seem to understand much of anything when math is involved.

Math is math. Pitt only has 12 games left so they dont have as many at bats to make up for a bad RPI as they would in a 116 game season.

I am not trying to cause alarm bells here. Pitt has proven to me that its an NCAAT team. I just think they are going to be one of those 30ish or 40ish RPI type teams.

Reactions: jctrack
To show just how silly it is to look at RPI at this point of the season, as of right now the number one team in the country according to RPI is Penn.

If you don't think that's silly enough, or you think that's some sort of outlier, George Mason is third, based on beating Navy and Delaware. Fordham is fourth, they have one goal wins over Sacred Heart and Colgate and a draw with Hofstra. Wofford is sixth, based on a draw with Georgia Southern and a win over Queens. Hofstra is seventh, with that big draw with Fordham and wins over American, Providence and Binghamton. Heck, Duquesne is 11th, because of wins over Seton Hill (Hill, not Hall), Canisius and Xavier.

On the other hand, Marshall, ranked seventh in the coach's poll this week, RPI, 110.

Pitt goes on the road and beats #22 SMU 3-1; gets first ACC win.

I noticed Pitt's shorts in this game were gold with blue side stripes just like they were cut-off football pants. Pretty sweet.

Reactions: pitt90seven
It was a pretty interesting game to watch. SMU has some players and had a number of chances, just didn't finish them. Pitt did, plain and simple.

It was a pretty interesting game to watch. SMU has some players and had a number of chances, just didn't finish them. Pitt did, plain and simple.

that's at least how 95% of soccer matches turn out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT