ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt needed just 1 of these 8 results to make the NCAAT

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
1. NC State to beat Duke
2. Clemson to beat Virginia

Either would have given Pitt a double bye and avoided a bad Wednesday afternoon loss.

3. Pitt win over ND
4. Pitt win over Miami

5. Louisville over UVa
6. ND over Clemson
7. UNC over Duke

To get a double bye and avoid a Wednesday loss

8. Pitt over GT/FSU

Let's say we lose to Miami. Is Is better for Duke to beat unc and us to be the 5 playing weak 12/13 Wednesday or unc to beat Duke and we are a four playing a much tougher team Thursday.

Reactions: SteelBowl70
We lose to Miami and we might not make the tournament now. Which is hard to believe

The chances of all 8 of the games I listed going the wrong way had to be less than 1%. I still think we make it because 1 of those results have to go our way. Almost impossible not to.

We lose to Miami and we might not make the tournament now. Which is hard to believe
It is a weak ACC year, but it’s not over by any stretch. On a neutral site Pitt should expect to beat the 12/13 winner. Otherwise they deserve NIT.

The chances of all 8 of the games I listed going the wrong way had to be less than 1%. I still think we make it because 1 of those results have to go our way. Almost impossible not to.
Lunardi who people dislike made it seem we need one more win. It’d be easier to get against the 12/13 winner than the 5 seed. Also, the probability is now out of 5 as the other three did not happen and can’t affect probability of remaining 5. What does Vegas say on those lines? Probably first four go against us?

Let's say we lose to Miami. Is Is better for Duke to beat unc and us to be the 5 playing weak 12/13 Wednesday or unc to beat Duke and we are a four playing a much tougher team Thursday.

You want UNC to win so you get the double bye and avoid Wednesday. Winning Wednesday does absolutely nothing for us. Losing could very well knock us out. Losing to Duke on Thursday doesn't hurt much if at all.

Lunardi who people dislike made it seem we need one more win. It’d be easier to get against the 12/13 winner than the 5 seed.

He said to lock up a bid and I agree with him. He didn't say it was absolutely required. If we lose to Miami and Duke, we are in.

You want UNC to win so you get the double bye and avoid Wednesday. Winning Wednesday does absolutely nothing for us. Losing could very well knock us out. Losing to Duke on Thursday doesn't hurt much if at all.
But I thought we just needed one more and wednesday seems a lot more likely than Thursday assuming a loss at Miami.

A lot of action still to go. Bama came back from a hole and helping us by beating Auburn. Northwestern can take care of ped state. Maybe UNLV takes down Utah state later. Missouri down 18 to 13-16 LSU….

A lot of action still to go. Bama came back from a hole and helping us by beating Auburn. Northwestern can take care of ped state. Maybe UNLV takes down Utah state later. Missouri down 18 to 13-16 LSU….

Well yea, but I meant to 100% lock up a bid and not worry

Losing Weds eliminates Pitt. Winning keeps the hopes alive but a lot depends on what others teams do. It would help if Vandy beat Miss State tonight and USC beat ASU. Also Maryland bearing PSU and Minnesota beating Wisky. A lot more going on than just what Pitt does.

Losing Weds eliminates Pitt. Winning keeps the hopes alive but a lot depends on what others teams do. It would help if Vandy beat Miss State tonight and USC beat ASU. Also Maryland bearing PSU and Minnesota beating Wisky. A lot more going on than just what Pitt does.
This. And folks stop quoting Lunardi. He's an idiot. Anyone can get 66 or 67 every year. He's terrible on seeding. Go with bracket matrix. It is consistently one of the most accurate predictor of seeds every year. Whereas Lunarid is always in the bottom half.

It doesn't help at all. But beating GT or losing to Duke doesn't hurt.
So according to you tonight didn't hurt us. Except we don't play in a bubble (sorry for not coming up with a better word). OK St who is one of the first four out just picked up a Q1 win tonight. They shouldn't replace us but have narrowed the distance. If they win just one in the Big 12 tournament that's another Q1 even if it is OK or TX Tech. So a team we were ahead of on this morning picks up 2 more Q1 wins while Pitt picks up a Q3 in the same period with a loss to Duke. Good chance they jump us. Safe to assume WVU jumped up today also. Moving us closer to Dayton and open to being bounced by a bid stealer. And the scary part is there are legit bid stealing leagues like FAU or Oral Roberts lose. UNC and Nova could run win their conference tournament. Same for Oregon.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT