ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Stadium

pitt cant afford to buy an abandoned high school in Oakland in an open bid and you guys think they can afford to drop a half billion on a stadium?
Like I said-
It’s their convenient fantasy - excuse for why they sit in their wallet on the couch .

hail always has an excuse
1. Steve
2. Font
3. Colors
4. Stadium location

It's not apples to apples. Why use that one as an example? It's the largest and most expensive college stadium built in at least the last 20 years. Yet... "OMG you guys think Pitt should spend the same amount."

Apples to apples would be Stanford's $90 million stadium. Or Houston's $125 million stadium.

Unless you think that Pitt has a stadium already in Oakland to put the new stadium on Stanford and Houston are obviously not apples to apples comparisons. Stanford didn't have to aquire one square foot of new land for their stadium. They didn't have to replace one other building. Houston didn't have to aquire one square foot of land. They didn't have to replace one other building. The only way you can think that Stanford and Houston are the proper comparisons for Pitt is if you think Pitt owns a big empty plot of land in Oakland that they can start building a stadium on any time they decide to.

So tell us all, where exactly is this big empty lot in Oakland. I, for one, would like to see it. But hey, it has been a whole week since I've been in Oakland, maybe a lot has changed in the last week.

Like I said-
It’s their convenient fantasy - excuse for why they sit in their wallet on the couch .

1. Steve
2. Font
3. Colors
4. Stadium location
no stadiums are being built by fan donations. we can donate til it hurts and that's not getting us a stadium in Oakland.. fan donations buys TVs and sectionals for the basketball players only lounge, cause apparently you cant be good in basketball unless you have really nice couches and TVs in the basketball locker room with a fully stocked fridge of energy drinks..

Unless you think that Pitt has a stadium already in Oakland to put the new stadium on Stanford and Houston are obviously not apples to apples comparisons. Stanford didn't have to aquire one square foot of new land for their stadium. They didn't have to replace one other building. Houston didn't have to aquire one square foot of land. They didn't have to replace one other building. The only way you can think that Stanford and Houston are the proper comparisons for Pitt is if you think Pitt owns a big empty plot of land in Oakland that they can start building a stadium on any time they decide to.

So tell us all, where exactly is this big empty lot in Oakland. I, for one, would like to see it. But hey, it has been a whole week since I've been in Oakland, maybe a lot has changed in the last week.
i just drove thru Oakland last week and i remember why i avoid the area like the plague. there isn't room to put a porta potty in Oakland... really makes you wonder why upmc and chain hotels keep building on the campus..

Because it is ground zero for the region’s intellectual and technological talent and capacity.
i like this answer paco. but does everything have to go on fifth and forbes between mckee and bam bam bigelow? Do we have to use this little area?

The regions intellectual and technologically talented will walk a few blocks off of fifth, hell they may even venture into scary east liberty or middle hill area (Ok, i went to far with east liberty and middle hill) but you catch my drfit..

Reactions: Gplpgh1
no stadiums are being built by fan donations. we can donate til it hurts and that's not getting us a stadium in Oakland.. fan donations buys TVs and sectionals for the basketball players only lounge, cause apparently you cant be good in basketball unless you have really nice couches and TVs in the basketball locker room with a fully stocked fridge of energy drinks..

True, one can’t recruit on a level playing field, in any sport, without the bells and whistles possessed by one’s peer recruiting competitors.

True, one can’t recruit on a level playing field, in any sport, without the bells and whistles possessed by one’s peer recruiting competitors.
the arms race is annoying. i saw a video of pitt's hoops locker room on here and it looked real nice and then 5 seconds later, a thread about how Capel needs another 30 million just to be in the middle of the pack of other programs. LOL. You cant win.

Even if we do get 30 million and build "God knows what is next" for the players only facilities. schools like UNC will build a movie theater for their players and now we will need another 20 million just to play catch up..

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
i like this answer paco. but does everything have to go on fifth and forbes between mckee and bam bam bigelow? Do we have to use this little area?

The regions intellectual and technologically talented will walk a few blocks off of fifth, hell they may even venture into scary east liberty or middle hill area (Ok, i went to far with east liberty and middle hill) but you catch my drfit..

Developers develop where the most money is to be made and where property is actually available and zoned appropriately.

Pitt has been unwilling or unable to secure some properties in the core of its own campus.

There is development off 5th and Forbes too.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
the arms race is annoying. i saw a video of pitt's hoops locker room on here and it looked real nice and then 5 seconds later, a thread about how Capel needs another 30 million just to be in the middle of the pack of other programs. LOL. You cant win.

Even if we do get 30 million and build "God knows what is next" for the players only facilities. schools like UNC will build a movie theater for their players and now we will need another 20 million just to play catch up..

Absolutely true, and it has been that way for a long time. But if you don't make a real effort to keep up, you end up in a situation like Pitt found itself in the 90s. And that was a big hole to try to climb out of. It is even harder when your are in such a dense urban area.

Reactions: ThePanthers

It is crazy and it's hard to imagine where it ends. You can't (officially) pay the players but want to attract the best ones so you eventually turn their dorm rooms and locker rooms into gold plated luxury suites with hologram projectors.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Some new college stadiums are incorporating academic space, sports athletic offices, sports medicine facilities for the Universities and community and serve as multi purpose sports venue.
All of this makes the expensive stadium proposals sound better.

When visiting the new Colorado St stadium after it was constructed the university donor host (Mrs Buffett is a significant donor) toured the 60k sq feet of a academic space, the athletic offices, and sports medicine facility for CSU students.

Not a game changer but it helps justify the project.

There was community pushback even in the middle of nowhere CO.

Last edited:

If you want to get the recruits to come to Pitt, you need to do the sectionals, TVs, fridges, etc. to keep up with your competition.

Reactions: PittMan 72
It's the VA flagship, and they purposefully want to be next to Presby. It's not moving as long as there is a functional Veterans Administration with their own facilities.

I’m sure you’re probably right but it would have been a great way for Pitt to expand.

I’m sure you’re probably right but it would have been a great way for Pitt to expand.

The irony is Pitt gave the VA that land in the first place, on the heels of WWII, back in the mid-40s.

If you want to get the recruits to come to Pitt, you need to do the sectionals, TVs, fridges, etc. to keep up with your competition.

Yep. You either provide them with what the competition does, or suffer the consequences. Whether posters on message boards agree or not. If Pitt doesn't coddle them with "amenities", someone else can and will.

Yep. You either provide them with what the competition does, or suffer the consequences. Whether posters on message boards agree or not. If Pitt doesn't coddle them with "amenities", someone else can and will.

yes, true, see my post above. Those new apartments on Forbes are primarily for the jocks and are pretty luxurious.

yes, true, see my post above. Those new apartments on Forbes are primarily for the jocks and are pretty luxurious.

Yeah, that's what I've heard. I was sitting in the customer lounge of a car dealer recently waiting while getting some service work done. A lady there had a Pitt shirt on. We started talking and she told me her son was a FR scholarship wrestler at Pitt. I asked her where he was being housed and she said the Bridges on Forbes. She raved about it and said her son was thrilled with the accomdiations. Really first class according to her.

i just drove thru Oakland last week and i remember why i avoid the area like the plague. there isn't room to put a porta potty in Oakland... really makes you wonder why upmc and chain hotels keep building on the campus..
Those really get you hot under the collar don't they even though they are a necessary "evil". Just makes me laugh a bit every time you point it out.

Those really get you hot under the collar don't they even though they are a necessary "evil". Just makes me laugh a bit every time you point it out.
i hate it cause pitt's campus has enough flaws to not attract college students. 14 hospitals and now more residence/Fairfield inns smack dab on campus isn't exactly a tour stop for undergrads..

parents want an option for a hotel room on parents weekend, plenty of places to stay a mile or two down the road. you don't need to be within 100' of the towers..

i hate it cause pitt's campus has enough flaws to not attract college students. 14 hospitals and now more residence/Fairfield inns smack dab on campus isn't exactly a tour stop for undergrads..

parents want an option for a hotel room on parents weekend, plenty of places to stay a mile or two down the road. you don't need to be within 100' of the towers..
Well we've discussed this in the past, The Oaklander is NOT a chain hotel and is a great business asset not only to the University but also UPMC. I would argue that its price point isn't for most parents just visiting.

Pitt's campus location is the single biggest thing that it sells to both undergraduate and graduate students. It's a big reason why Pitt's admission statistics are higher than a lot of other schools that are located in more "traditional" campus environments - like our neighbors to the east. And the gap is growing.

Even money can't buy that for PITT right now.

Enough money will get someone all of that
but that's not the game Pitt plays or they'd have all of those three by now.

Now Pitt plays the game of Catch-up or WTF Happened when we weren't paying attention.
I doubt they'll be good at those games either so they'll do nothing.

Reactions: PittFamily2
Well we've discussed this in the past, The Oaklander is NOT a chain hotel and is a great business asset not only to the University but also UPMC. I would argue that its price point isn't for most parents just visiting.
its a Marriott, that's a chain.. because they spruce up the lobby and have a concierge level and call it boutique, doesn't change that..

can build vanilla cookie cutter hotels anywhere, you don't need it in the shadows of the cathedral. it's a COLLEGE CAMPUS FOR CHRIST SAKES!!!!! or is it "Christ's sake." whichever one is correct, use that one.

now im yelling, thanks. thanks a lot..

Last edited:

we play in the north shore. it is what it is folks.. it's not pretty but its cheap.. if you don't like it, drink til your numb enough to not notice..

Quite the whine and rant.

If you don't like Oakland or HF, why bother? I don't have a problem with either place. The Pitt campus is where it is.

I was at Duke for the last game. Beautiful enclave campus. Bucolic setting. Saturday night with great weather for football. Even FREE PARKING. Between 15K and 20K in the place. And that included several thousand Pitt fans.

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.

Quite the whine and rant.

If you don't like Oakland or HF, why bother? I don't have a problem with either place. The Pitt campus is where it is.

I was at Duke for the last game. Beautiful enclave campus. Bucolic setting. Saturday night with great weather for football. Even FREE PARKING. Between 15K and 20K in the place. And that included several thousand Pitt fans.

Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder.
quit the rant? im telling you guys to quit ranting about Heinz field and north shore. i've finally accepted it and have moved on. you cant tell me to quit ranting when im telling you guys to quit ranting and accept the situation.. I've accepted Heinz field, actually work in north shore and i loved going to games in Oakland back in the day. so you and i are saying the same thing.

i mean, technically im ranting about them ranting but that doesn't make you any better who is now technically ranting about me, ranting about them, ranting about Heinz field.

Yeah, that's what I've heard. I was sitting in the customer lounge of a car dealer recently waiting while getting some service work done. A lady there had a Pitt shirt on. We started talking and she told me her son was a FR scholarship wrestler at Pitt. I asked her where he was being housed and she said the Bridges on Forbes. She raved about it and said her son was thrilled with the accomdiations. Really first class according to her.

Everyone is raving about it. And think, it took like 100 years to get something like it?
And close to 100 years to get its own soccer field after fighting for years with the City? And still don't even have a track?
And people actually think a 500m stadium just for Pitt in the same City is feasible?

I love visiting the Northshore for PITT games.
Easy in and out, nice hotels, and lots of stuff to do after or before the game.

Just think PITT was asleep at the switch when many realestate parcels were available, or for the taking using the right mechanisms.
An on campus football stadium seems the way to go for any program, but lots of challenges in Pittsburgh some self inflicted.

But I'm sure the admin, faculty wine and cheese parties, and the Starbucks coffee club took up lots of valuable time.

Like I said-

1. Steve
2. Font
3. Colors
4. Stadium location

I'm not the one making excuses for why a stadium can't be built. Pitt and you guys do that. Steve isn't an excuse. He is a reality. Him and Nordy had a space for a football stadium AND basketball arena. Now, they don't. The fans didn't do that. The script and colors now look good, as almost every fan knew and wanted. Only the dolts in charge couldn't be bothered to see what the fans wanted. You previously admitted being surprised with how nice the script looked on the helmet. just admit that Steve and the admin were being assholes for holding it hostage for so long.

In this very thread, CrazyPaco estimated land acquisition to cost $50 million. A stadium similar to Houston's would cost $125 million. That's $175 million for stadium and land acquisition. Where does "half a million dollars" come from?

I love visiting the Northshore for PITT games.
Easy in and out, nice hotels, and lots of stuff to do after or before the game.

Just think PITT was asleep at the switch when many realestate parcels were available, or for the taking using the right mechanisms.

But I'm sure the admin, faculty wine and cheese parties, and the Starbucks coffee club took up lots of valuable time.

They spent 20 years not even thinking about land for a stadium because they kept touting how great Heinz Field is. That's a lot of lost time and money.

Last edited:
its a Marriott, that's a chain.. because they spruce up the lobby and have a concierge level and call it boutique, doesn't change that..

can build vanilla cookie cutter hotels anywhere, you don't need it in the shadows of the cathedral. it's a COLLEGE CAMPUS FOR CHRIST SAKES!!!!! or is it "Christ's sake." whichever one is correct, use that one.

now im yelling, thanks. thanks a lot..
It's kind of like The Manchurian Candidate. I'm just going to drop "Oakland chain hotels" in a random thread and see what happens.

;)

Reactions: RaleighPittFan

Oakland is 300% better now than from 1996-2002

You’re being silly

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT