ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt Stadium

Never understood men complaining about troughs. Freakin weird. Is taking a leak in a urinal that much more enjoyable? You take a leak, who cares where it goes or the shape of the object it goes in.

no one is looking at your junk. No one cares if you get stage fright. Whats wrong with you people?

Thank you! I never got the urinal desire either. The line moves faster as troughs waste no wall space and more can go at the same time.

there was not a bad seat in the stadium? Dude, there wasn't a good seat in the stadium. if you were 1/2 way up on the 50, you were a quarter mile from the field..

pitt-stadium.jpg
We agree again

Tearing down Posvar or Hillman is less likely than the VA, which is completely unlikely. Both facilities are undergoing $millions in extensive renovations and expansions and already house a huge chunk of the university.

For instance ...
Hillman: https://library.pitt.edu/hillmanreinvention
Posvar: https://www.fm.pitt.edu/projects/wesley-w-posvar-hall-renovation
I've often wondered why Pitt went with the poured concrete look for so many of their buildings. The whole campus would have looked so much better if they had built most of the buildings out of brick, in my opinion. The poured concrete looks so sterile. Too late now, of course.

Thank you! I never got the urinal desire either. The line moves faster as troughs waste no wall space and more can go at the same time.
I do hate the urinals that go to the floor. Jacks in south side had em circa late 90s. I hated those cause you’d get piss all over your feet.

Troughs are Actually much better cause they keep the lines going quicker.

I do hate the urinals that go to the floor. Jacks in south side had em circa late 90s. I hated those cause you’d get piss all over your feet.

Plus at Jacks the drunk guy next to you could piss all over your feet too.

look at the space behind the endzones. that's like another 60+ yards from endzone to the first row behind the endzones, lol.

Wasn't it you who went on a tirade about ending comments on message boards with "lol" especially when it is not a joke?

Imagine this stadium with blue seats and a yellow script Pitt written across the upper deck. Would look great!
I can see and here it now. Did yous guys see all those empty blue seats for cryin out loud....C’mon.

Regarding urinals, some of us get stage fright. Need a little separation for me.

Yes the track put the field a mile away but the horseshoe at Ohio st used to have a track too. They simply dug down creating a lower bowl until the stands were close. That would have been a great solution. Then you could have removed some benches higher up and crated some luxury boxes. It’s all about investing money throughout the years if it was truly a historic stadium. Unfortunately that pic showed a decent crowd where the endzones were still empty.

Last edited:
Reactions: bwh05
I've often wondered why Pitt went with the poured concrete look for so many of their buildings. The whole campus would have looked so much better if they had built most of the buildings out of brick, in my opinion. The poured concrete looks so sterile. Too late now, of course.

It's all a function of the architectural soup du jour. Pitt became state-related in 1966, and went through a major expansion of its student population and facilities right at the height of popularity of Brutalist architecture, which was very trendy in academia. Most universities have at least some brutalist buildings because of baby boomer expansion of campuses around this time. I swear 90% of campuses I've been on, no matter how traditional those campuses are, built new, larger library buildings in the 60s or 70s and they're all brutalist monstrosities.

Pitt's brutalist structures are actually fancier than most. Traditionally brutalism is just exposed concrete, but Pitt clad their brutalist buildings, like Posvar Hall, with limestone to mirror the limestone cladding of the Cathedral of Learning. And still today, all current campus construction in visual range of the Cathedral is supposed to reflect this limestone in deference to the Cathedral.

As with many fashion trends the fall out of favor, they often come to be appreciated with time. Appreciation of brutalism is having a bit of a resurgence, believe it or not.

But regarding brick, the original campus plan when Pitt moved from the North Side to Oakland in 1908 was the neo-classical acropolysis plan such is seen in styles of Thaw Hall and Allen Hall. The university quickly ran out of money and that plan was never executed anywhere near what was intended. Beginning in the 20s, the plan and style shifted to neo-gothic campus anchored by the Cathedral of Learning. An entire series of buildings was planned in the gothic style, but only the Falk School, Heinz Chapel, the Stephen Foster Memorial, and Clapp Hall were added, with the last (Clapp) not really being executed anywhere near full gothic extravagance (and actually has quite a bit of art deco). That then gave way to the 60s to some international style buildings like Scaife and the Graduate School of Public Health, but then brutalism came into vogue and you got Litchfield Towers, Hillman, David Lawrence, Benedum, Barco, and Posvar. By the 80s, brutalism had fallen out of favor and Pitt started building in other styles. Along the way, Pitt's has purchased other buildings of all types of architectural styles for repurposement, like the William Pitt Union (former Schenley Hotel), Schenley Quad (former Schenley Apartments), and Bellefield Hall (former WMHA), and several of these are brick, but Pitt has never really constructed much in traditional red brick.

I do wonder what would be if more of the gothic plan had been implemented. There were plans for a gothic gymnasium, union, library, dormatories, and other academic buildings all centered on or around the Cathedral lawn.

Last edited:
Can the Peterson Event Center be extended towards Panther Hall to allow for FB? Would mean playing a season elsewhere while be built but the land is there....which is the old footprint for Pitt Stadium. Since we are spitballing here, make the roof retractable and a street car taking people up and down Cardiac Hill to the new parking garages:)

Last edited:
Reactions: PittFamily2

how many gallons do you piss? aim straight ahead man...

Mt. Lebo was like that. Never hurt so much in my life as I did after playing on that field.
played on mt. lebo turf in mid 90's and it was all worn out so you actually played on the mat underneath the green stuff.. cant complain though because they replaced it the following year and everyone got staff infection from the new turf..

Reactions: pittdan77
played on mt. lebo turf in mid 90's and it was all worn out so you actually played on the mat underneath the green stuff.. cant complain though because they replaced it the following year and everyone got staff infection from the new turf..

I played on it when it was still "nice".

For the record, I played at Belle Vernon. The grass on our field sucked and there were sprinkler heads sticking up in certain places. Still better than that aberration they installed a few years ago.

I played on it when it was still "nice".

For the record, I played at Belle Vernon. The grass on our field sucked and there were sprinkler heads sticking up in certain places. Still better than that aberration they installed a few years ago.
This turf nowadays is ridiculous. I see players wearing spikes on turf and it doesn’t even make sense. Lebo and NA were the two stadiums that had turf when I was in high school so you basically would wear basketball shoes when you played on those surfaces.

This turf nowadays is ridiculous. I see players wearing spikes on turf and it doesn’t even make sense. Lebo and NA were the two stadiums that had turf when I was in high school so you basically would wear basketball shoes when you played on those surfaces.

It is pretty amazing how far the surfaces have come. And yet you see big clods of dirt and grass flying at Heinz.

I played Catholic Dioceses football against St Bernard's there in the early 90's. I remember how pumped all of us where to play on turf. After a few plays we were all wishing we were on grass. I went to 2 different AA schools, so never had to play on turf after that. Thank goodness.

It is pretty amazing how far the surfaces have come. And yet you see big clods of dirt and grass flying at Heinz.

Yet the players (NFL that is ) still prefer the natural grass to artificial. But it is also unanimous that Heinz Field is a horrible surface.

I played Catholic Dioceses football against St Bernard's there in the early 90's. I remember how pumped all of us where to play on turf. After a few plays we were all wishing we were on grass. I went to 2 different AA schools, so never had to play on turf after that. Thank goodness.
Nothing worse than taking a shower after playing a football game on that cheap turf.

Skin burned like hell-fire with those brush burns.

Yet the players (NFL that is ) still prefer the natural grass to artificial. But it is also unanimous that Heinz Field is a horrible surface.
Heinz Field isn't anywhere near as bad as when it first opened and there's no where near the complaints once they ditched using sand as a base.

Heinz Field isn't anywhere near as bad as when it first opened and there's no where near the complaints once they ditched using sand as a base.

It's still pretty bad. First home game and a QB slides at the end of the run and digs a divot the size of his leg. Whatever. I'm not diving down into that discussion. At least punted footballs don't plant themselves anymore.

Pitt needs something like this only 10K bigger (Temple's BOT approved this and is fully funded by private donations but the City of Philadelphia will not allow the uni to build on its own property):

Pitt needs something like this only 10K bigger (Temple's BOT approved this and is fully funded by private donations but the City of Philadelphia will not allow the uni to build on its own property):

North Philly is a residential neighborhood with people who elect mayors and city council people and are not enthused about a stadium dropped into their back yard. So it's not surprising the project won't happen. Same thing when Chinatown stopped the stadium there. The current location of the Linc is fine (on a subway line as well), the problem is Temple football isn't a draw.

At the end of the day, most people's recollection of the stadium is much different than the actual experience. I enjoyed games there as much as anyone but it wasn't a very good stadium and fans would complain like the world was ending if they had to walk that hill, now.

People took this way too literally. My take is that it would be a replica with modern amenities. No bleachers. Modern restrooms and concessions. Obviously, it wouldn't be at the same location, so walking up cardiac hill wouldn't be an issue. They would add in modern suites and press boxes. In other words, the outside and bowl shape would be the same with modern architecture.

North Philly is a residential neighborhood with people who elect mayors and city council people and are not enthused about a stadium dropped into their back yard. So it's not surprising the project won't happen. Same thing when Chinatown stopped the stadium there. The current location of the Linc is fine (on a subway line as well), the problem is Temple football isn't a draw.

The problem is they play is a stadium that is way to large and the optics are hideous. Add to that the price they need to pay. It will be impossible for then to have success I that situation.

yeah it's too bad since they've actually been pretty successful this decade. Getting kicked out of the big east was the best thing to happen to them in terms of rejuvenating the program.

People took this way too literally. My take is that it would be a replica with modern amenities. No bleachers. Modern restrooms and concessions. Obviously, it wouldn't be at the same location, so walking up cardiac hill wouldn't be an issue. They would add in modern suites and press boxes. In other words, the outside and bowl shape would be the same with modern architecture.
No flat spots. $500 million or more. BOT should be tossed if they try it. Of course, they do whatever they want.

Put it off of the Blvd of The Allies overlooking Bates, the river and the south side facility. Put a big Pitt script sign that all will see from south side. Have the subway go up the south side, across river and up Bates connecting Oakland to downtown. Also punch peduto in the face for considering a rapid bus system that will only make it harder for cars to get in and out of Oakland
No subway will be built to Oakland. Just bikepaths.

No flat spots. $500 million or more. BOT should be tossed if they try it. Of course, they do whatever they want.

$500M is what they told you because it makes for an easy excuse to not do it.

I'm waiting to see how much there is of a PITT presence after the $25m renovations to "The Great Hall.

Given the Rooney's history, I expect it to be nominal,

ADVERTISEMENT