ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt transfers this year

Apr 26, 2012
Pitt's history of transfers has generally not been good. Ontario Lett was good, but most have been disappointing. This year's transfers have been surprisingly good, with one exception.

Hinson: He's what I hoped he would be. He had success at Ole Miss, but has been out for two years. He's a big body, which has been sorely missing on Pitt's teams for years. He's a better than expected 3-point shooter, good defender and rebounder, and seems like a very positive force on the team. Capel says he is very coachable.

Elliott: We knew he was a good spot up 3-pt shooter, but he has shown an ability to get to the basket, play defense, and rebound. He was the team's rebounding leader tonight with 9. Plays with positive energy.

Fede: Wow, I didn't expect this at all. Being a JC transfer and based on the film I saw of him, I didn't expect him to see the floor this year. Maybe for a few minutes of shot blocking potential in the paint. But he has a very good feel for the game, plays under control, and has solid athleticism. He knows where to be on defense, makes good switches (way better than Gee last year), and is pretty good offensively on the pick and roll. While still somewhat limited, he even has a decent offensive skill set with the ball. A very, very pleasant surprise. With Hugley still looking completely out of rhythm, he's been critical these last few games.

Nelly: Hmm, his game seemed to be the most predictable, but he's played below expectations. His shooting hasn't been good, he's turned it over too often for a veteran guard, and his decision-making has been spotty. I think there is a decent chance that his production will improve, but of all of the transfer, he's been the disappointment so far.

Not a transfer, but I'll just add that Santos looks to be much improved this year, in limited action. His confidence was low last year, but he looks very comfortable when he's been on the court, even in limited minutes. Solid rebounder this year, and his shot looks good. He could be a valuable player next year.

I think Nelly is an upgrade as a true point guard over what we have had in the past few years. Certainly not up to the point guards of the Dixon era, but much better than post Dixon, as to running the team, reducing turnovers. Nelly came from Colgate, I did not have high expectations except that he would be a team player and keep Pitt organized, limit turnovers, ber unselfish, be a leader.

I guess those are high expectations ::)

Reactions: Millerton24
I think Nelly is an upgrade as a true point guard over what we have had in the past few years

He isn't even playing the point over Burton. When those two are on the court at the same time Burton is almost always the one playing the point, with Cummings off the ball as a two.

He isn't even playing the point over Burton. When those two are on the court at the same time Burton is almost always the one playing the point, with Cummings off the ball as a two.
They really feel like co-ballhandlers. I think they’re comfortable enough with either guy bringing the ball up the court and getting everyone in place. Burton had the juice last night, and he’s more physical which probably played better getting downhill against NC State’s guards.

Reactions: pittjas
They really feel like co-ballhandlers. I think they’re comfortable enough with either guy bringing the ball up the court and getting everyone in place. Burton had the juice last night, and he’s more physical which probably played better getting downhill against NC State’s guards.

I agree that they probably feel both can get the job done. But so far this season, time after time when they are both on the court it's Burton with the ball in his hands. Way, way more often than the other way around.

We don't have a true
pg IMO. Cummings may
have started out as
our pg this year, but
as mentioned above
he's given that up to
Burton (for obvious
reasons). I hope he
doesn't wear out. Last
yr. he averaged 34.6mpg.
This year it's 32.5, and
last night it was 38. He
has to stay on the floor.

BTW, we did beat NC ST
last year too....71.69, with
Hugley scoring 21.

I agree that they probably feel both can get the job done. But so far this season, time after time when they are both on the court it's Burton with the ball in his hands. Way, way more often than the other way around.
Totally agree! Burton takes
a lot of time getting it
done, but he DOES get it
done. Cummings clearly
struggles at the point. He
has difficulty getting his
team mates in sync, and
when he's forced into a
last minute shot, its not
always pretty. Burton's
last second shots when
nohing else is available is
often 2 pts or a foul.

Elliott feels like the ultimate glue guy to me. He’s been a little inconsistent shooting but still playing hard on defense and with his rebounding. But he also seems like the guy that keeps the team loose and in the right mindset
He had a few tough games where it felt like it affected his demeanor. Capel even mentioned it this week. But ever since then, he’s been locked in. Really feels like we’ve got 4-5 co-captains on this team, and Elliott’s one of them.

He had a few tough games where it felt like it affected his demeanor. Capel even mentioned it this week. But ever since then, he’s been locked in. Really feels like we’ve got 4-5 co-captains on this team, and Elliott’s one of them.
Yeah, I too feel that he
now seems to be "locked
in." Earlier in the year I
saw him as too loosey
goosie on the floor. His
game in fact showed it.
Maybe Capel got to him.
Whatever happened, I
like what I'm seeing from
him now.

Elliott feels like the ultimate glue guy to me. He’s been a little inconsistent shooting but still playing hard on defense and with his rebounding. But he also seems like the guy that keeps the team loose and in the right mindset
He's way better at rebounding than I thought he'd be but I look at him out there and want to know his wingspan looks crazy to me but I'm not sure

I think Nelly is an upgrade as a true point guard over what we have had in the past few years. Certainly not up to the point guards of the Dixon era, but much better than post Dixon, as to running the team, reducing turnovers. Nelly came from Colgate, I did not have high expectations except that he would be a team player and keep Pitt organized, limit turnovers, ber unselfish, be a leader.

I guess those are high expectations ::)
Love your name. Mo cheeks. I was a big 76ers fan. Most people were LA and Boston in 80's

Reactions: mo cheeks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT